View Full Version : Most embarrassing skating moment

Mrs Redboots
10-24-2006, 12:55 PM
The new British skating magazine, Iskate (http://www.iskatepublications.com/) has devoted a column on its children's pages to "My most embarrassing skating moment" (I am amused to see that this month's winner is the daughter of one of our regulars - who is blaming Mum for the mishap!).

Anyway, I thought it might be fun to post our own most embarrassing moments to date.

I think mine was the time at Oxford seniors when I was wearing a dress that required a strapless bra. Unfortunately, the bra I was wearing was several sizes too big, and decided to slip down half-way through my warm-up!

Skate@Delaware
10-24-2006, 01:19 PM
I was demonstrating forward crossovers to a small group and proceeded to catch my toepick and take a dive and slid right into the boards...the only thing I could think of to say was "that's how NOT to do them!"

Isk8NYC
10-24-2006, 02:05 PM
Teaching mohawks, I demonstrated while running my mouth and not checking/bending whatsoever. (I was looking at a student behind me.)

Stepped on the heel of my other foot and flopped down on the ice, banging my head.

Mortifying.

NickiT
10-24-2006, 02:09 PM
The new British skating magazine, Iskate (http://www.iskatepublications.com/) has devoted a column on its children's pages to "My most embarrassing skating moment" (I am amused to see that this month's winner is the daughter of one of our regulars - who is blaming Mum for the mishap!).

Hehehe!! Yep, Sophie was thrilled to bits to have her embarrassing moment featured as the most cringe-worthy! She was going to put another moment forward until I remembered that one! I think actually I was as embarrassed as she was given that it was down to my handiwork that the embarrassment evolved! It was highly amusing though I must admit, but boy was she embarrassed?:P

Nicki

Sonic
10-24-2006, 02:16 PM
Hey good for Sophie!

Most embarassing skating moment was also most triumphant (so far):

Toe-picking myself at the end of an SSJ contest, sprawling flat across the ice, thinking 'scr*w it' and kicking leg in the air.

S xxx

jazzpants
10-24-2006, 03:07 PM
Mine was back when I was in skating school. I was trying to demonstrate that I could do a t-stop to a couple of coaches so that I can "skip" Adult Gamma and go to Adult Delta class. So I went and demonstrated it and instead of a t-stop, I slipped from under me and WHAM!!! right on my butt... right in front of said coaches! Needless to say, I ended up in Adult Gamma... :oops: (but it was okay anyway... I got a great coach in Gamma and the Delta coach was someone I did NOT want to take lessons from... :twisted: :lol: )

Of course, there are others embarassing moments... but I think my coaches create them for me more than I create them myself!!! :twisted: :lol:

doubletoe
10-24-2006, 04:22 PM
In my 5-minute warmup for a competition, I had too much adrenaline going and I overshot my camel spin entrance. I don't know how I did it, but I actually flipped myself over and hit my head on the ice. I was still a little shaken up when I skated my program a few minutes later, and--needless to say--I did NOT have the best skate. And of course it was the first time anyone in my family had ever come to watch me!

looplover
10-24-2006, 05:17 PM
I was in ninth grade and a boy from my school was at the rink during a public session - I thought I'd be so cool and impress him with my spiral - when I got his attention I did a forward spiral and promptly fell on my chin, completely stunned. (thud)

He skated over to make sure I was ok but in no way was he impressed! Ha 8O

mikawendy
10-24-2006, 07:57 PM
Calling GaryC! ;) I know he has a great skating story that would go well in this thread. (He's posted it here before, but I won't spoil the fun....) :lol:

TashaKat
10-24-2006, 11:53 PM
Mine was my nemesis, the BUNNY HOP!!!! I was asked to demonstrate it to a kids group 8O The next thing I know I'm bellyflopping on the ice and doing a 'superman' across the width of the rink 8O

There was another embarrassing moment with my coach but it's a bit too rude to post on here :halo:

KiZa_32
10-25-2006, 07:21 AM
ummm i have many but 3 really stupid ones were

1. i was standing talking to my friends 1 day during practice and lost my footing and fell on my bum it hurt alot but it was quite humiliating

and

2.after doin skating for a year i was quite good at stopping but as went to stop my blade got in my way and once agn i fell on my bum

and

3. this is one most people have already done but i was racing my friends and i forgot 1 rule don't lean to far forward when u have toepicks on your blade, that day i learnt what it was like to be a penguin:lol: :lol:

Paulie86
10-25-2006, 10:20 AM
Oh, I think everyone has more than a few of these, so here's somw from me.

* One day my coach commented on how good my spins had been lately, so I skated over to the barrier to "knock on wood" so she wouldn't jynx me and as soon as I got to the barrier I tripped!

* I was warming up one day when there was only a few people on the ice, my coach included. I was just doing some edges, caught my toe pick and went splat on the ice. It knocked the wind out of me and was soo painful. Everyone stopped what they were doing to look at me :oops:

* I was practicing my back inside edges on day, and didn't transfer my weight properly after pushing, completly lost my balance and then proceeded to fight falling over. I took like 10 seconds till I regained my balance. I must have looked like a fish out of water. Needless to say, my coach and I were laughing so hard by then end of it!

Rusty Blades
10-25-2006, 11:10 AM
Mine is yet to come, I am sure! 8O

Team Arthritis
10-25-2006, 04:07 PM
Well, first moves test: all nervous standing at the edge ready to do consecutive back outside edges (I had to push HARD to fit 6 lobes across ice) I was a little too close to the barrier so WHAM I kicked it full force on the push off and fell straight down. Looked up to see grey/white haired judge with her spectacles pushed down on the tip of her nose craining to peek over the barriers:
"you all right?" me - 'yeh'
"can you skate better than that?" me -'yeh'
"OK, show me"

I've become very fond of that judge and love to chat with her every time she visits. The next test she made me run through the Prepre FS requirements before she let me do my preBronze FS test "just to make sure you're ready". Very clever:D
Lyle

vesperholly
10-25-2006, 04:41 PM
Aside from the ridiculously clumsy falls I take on a daily basis (I swear I've been skating for more than a month), I've done the classic "get on the ice with your guards still on" thing.

I tripped full speed on the Kilian choctaw in competition in the first pattern of the dance. Instead of slinking off the ice, I had to stand up and finish the dance. I also competed without a bra in a light colored dress at a very, very cold rink once. Unwise. 8O

Chico
10-25-2006, 10:22 PM
Mine was recent. I caught my toe pick STROKING, STROKING!, and did a big belly flop. Besides being embarassaed, I knocked my wind out so I couldn't talk for a few moments. Not fun.

Chico

MQSeries
10-26-2006, 01:21 PM
Stepping onto the ice with skate guards on.

Hitting the toe-pick while gliding in a forward spiral position 8O .

Falling down while simply doing back x-overs

Slipping off the edge while in the loop take-off position. Knock the wind out of me everytime.

Skate@Delaware
10-26-2006, 01:50 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot the one about the guards....

I had to do a quick costume change for a show, so it's put the guards on, run across the zamboni driveway to the dressing room, change, then run backstage...then I hit the ice 8O LUCKILY the ice was soooo torn up from not being zammed all I did was slide about 10 feet before someone grabbed me (the ice dance guy-very strong-with a HUGE GRIN on his face) and everyone was trying NOT to laugh as it was during an actual show...ever since then I always look down before I step onto the ice.

Mrs Redboots
10-26-2006, 02:07 PM
One year I rushed into the changing-room to do a very quick change and then got back on the ice and couldn't skate at all - turned out I'd trodden on a jelly-baby (Yes, I'd forgotten my guards in my rush!), which was squished all over my blade! Fortunately Husband removed it for me before the end of the warm-up.

And, of course, there was our infamous fall in competition last June! Nothing like overdoing it.....

NickiT
10-26-2006, 02:22 PM
I've had a few but the biggest embarrassment was my fall in competition a few years back. As if the fall wasn't bad enough it was barely two seconds into my programme and to make matters completely worse, I couldn't get back up! It felt like forever that I was scrabbling about on my hands and knees with full set of judges, professional photographer, coach and fellow competitors all glaring at me. I swear I rushed through that programme and couldn't get off the ice quick enough!

Nicki

Sonic
10-26-2006, 03:22 PM
I've just thought of another one. Not sure if this counts as a skating moment, but as it's related:

I was having a really boring morning at work, so - surprise, surprise - my mind drifted to skating, in particular the Salchow entrance I was having problems with at that time (bowing upper body forward).

Anyway, I was in the ladies' bathroom, where there's a nice slidy floor and big mirrors. As it was deserted, I couldn't resist having a go on the nice slidy floor and checking my 'Salchow posture' in the mirrors.

It wasn't until I was going out the door I hear a flush and then footsteps...

Later that day I looked down the office to the marketing section...only to have one of the girls catch my eye, stand up and parody a Salchow.

S xxxx
Boy did I feel stupid!:oops:

kateskate
10-26-2006, 04:16 PM
I have a few....

I was called over by my coach to demonstrate a salchow for one of the kids on a crowded Saturday morning session. I skated round, stepped forward, three turn, jumped and FELL.8O Coach just stared. My friends laughed. I laughed. Coach then said 'Yes thanks Katherine we know how to fall, we are good at that!'

Another good one was when I mishead my dance coach - he said he needed to go to the bathroom and was that ok but I thought he said I needed to go to the bathroom - ie was suggesting that I should maybe go and check something in the mirror - who knows - so I asked him why thinking something was out of place etc etc. Then he said because then maybe I would have a better quality lesson - he looked very worried and flustered that I had asked. He must have thought I was crazy to demand a reason for him needing the toliet! I then realised I'd mishead him and apologised.

Oooo and I keep my tissue tucked under the knickers part of my leotard or in the waistband of my trousers as it always falls out of pockets, sleeves etc and plus I hardly ever wear long sleeves to skate. So anyways, I had my tissue in my waistband of my trousers and it must have begun to stick out. Dance coach a bit embarrassed tried to point out subtly that I may want to go and check 'that'. I was a little worried! Then I realised he meant my tissue.Goodness knows what he thought it was! I explained that was where I keep my tissue.

Managed to get on the newly resurfaced and quite wet ice one day on a very empty patch session. I skated forwards down one side, turned to backwards and then fell, and SLID, the ENTIRE length of the rink. There was scrambling and ungraceful attempts to get to my feet. I was drenched. And there was a huge crowd of kids watching....

Fell over doing backward crossrolls in stroking on week - I sort of collapsed rather than just falling thud, my feet sort of got stuck under me and I couldn't get up quick enough and another girl was coming at me concentrating hard on her back crossrolls and not looking behind her so I had to scramble and crawl out of her way.

At a competition at Streatham last year I was doing the artistic class and my routine was to 'Roxanne' and my costume consisted of fishnet tights, a scarf type skirt and a red corset type thing. So generally I wasn't wearing a lot more than underwear (only in a skating routine would I make such a spectacle of myself!). Anyways, as I was about to get on and skate a huge contingent of school kids of about 13/14 years old came in. I think they were there to watch the large group show number competition which was next. So anyways, I got on and skated and one of the women helping said I deserved a medal just for skating dressed like that in front of all of those kids!

I fall over standing still frequently aswell!

froggy
10-26-2006, 09:32 PM
hmm i definately have quite a few

i participated in an adult night skate camp, as we were doing some sort of back stroking drill i skated backwards straight into the barrier and hit my head quite and head and then slithered down into the ice, the coach remarked that i must have been concentrating really hard on the drill...ha ha

during a busy freestyle session with a bunch of kids and their coachs I was smart enough to try to practice my spins..my spins must of traveled so much i could have earned enough mileage to go to china and back 3xs over.

went with my coworkers to a public skate session, having been pursuaded to show them a few little jumps i did a few toe loops, this was met with them all (they are a very lively loud bunch) hollering applausing and clapping and screaming my name IN FRONT OF EVERYONE!..i was mortified....goodness it was just a toe loop not a triple axel!

mikawendy
10-26-2006, 10:35 PM
I fall over standing still frequently as well!

Oh, boy, I've done that. Sometimes while standing on the side of the rink during stroking class, and everyone can see!

Once, the rink was really crowded the week before regionals. I was just doing plain stroking and crossovers round end of the rink to warm up (as was everyone else) and I tripped on a toe pick and fell forward on both knees and slid about 20 feet. I was terrified that I'd slide in the path of someone coming around the end of the rink, but luckily that didn't happen. 8O

Isk8NYC
10-27-2006, 12:29 AM
When I worked in midtown, I used to skate at Rockefeller Center during lunch. (NOT during the christmas season, though - too crowded) The ice was mediocre, but a friend who worked nearby would join me and we'd practice our programs, work on maneuvers, etc.

One day, I heard applause and someone called my name. I looked up and the lunatics I worked with had hand-written a poster board. They worked my name into the corporate slogan and "published" it for all to see.

Turns out, one of the managers had noticed me a few weeks earlier while he was running an errand. I had become their lunchtime entertainment. (All 40- and 50-year old men, watching the 20-something skater girl.) Not one of them said anything for all that time; no teasing me at work or anything.

Good thing I didn't wipe out, huh?

Casey
10-27-2006, 01:07 AM
I've never really been one to be embarrassed by falls at all. If anything I'm proud of 'em. :P

What embarasses me are when people clap and cheer at something...I mean come on...I'm not that good...unfortunately I am quite often the best person on the public sessions I attend. I find it relieving when there's somebody better, but for some reason they never get the cheering punishment...I don't get it. Fortunately it's not that common.

Anyways so this afternoon after skating for about 45 minutes, during an ice resurface I was sitting on a bench idly watching the Zamboni, and I heard some figure skating teenage girl and her father have a small conversation about whether they should ask somebody for their autograph or not...so then I look over to the side and the girl squeals and whispers to her father, "oh, there he is!!". Ummmmmmmm....what? 8O *avoid eye contact...idly walk away in random direction...*

That, was really embarassing, and they don't even know I heard them... :roll:

ouijaouija
10-27-2006, 07:42 AM
well today I went to my first patch session and i won't be going back ever, because i was soo rubbish to everyone else i just sat out most of it and waited to pay for the normal session

Casey
10-27-2006, 07:58 AM
well today I went to my first patch session and i won't be going back ever, because i was soo rubbish to everyone else i just sat out most of it and waited to pay for the normal session
Eh, that's how it feels at first, but keep at it. Having the better skaters around can actually be really stimulating and help you if you let it. Just remember they don't mean to be mean or cold as they might seem nor do they necessarily think anything poorly of you, they're just focused on their skating. My first freestyle session or two was awful too, but if I could afford it I'd go to them constantly. :P

Team Arthritis
10-27-2006, 10:46 AM
then got back on the ice and couldn't skate at all - turned out I'd trodden on a jelly-baby (Yes, I'd forgotten my guards in my rush!), which was squished all over my blade! .
:bow: :bow: :bow:
ROTFLOL AnneBell that has to be the MOST original excuse I've EVER heard!
Lyle

Mrs Redboots
10-27-2006, 12:03 PM
:bow: :bow: :bow:
ROTFLOL AnneBell that has to be the MOST original excuse I've EVER heard!
LyleTrue, though! I thought at first my blade had come loose, so went over to the barrier to get the Husband, with whom I was about to skate our "Waltzing Cats" routine, to have a quick look, and he found the jelly-baby and removed it! After which, I could skate - but it didn't do us much good, as I don't think we came anywhere....

Oh, and the next time we competed that particular routine, I tripped on my toe-rake and went splat, but luckily managed to disguise it so that most people (but probably not the judges) thought I'd meant to. Came off the ice swearing a blue streak as my knee was sore!

Ice Dancer
10-29-2006, 10:07 AM
I have two, which in the time I have been skating is a little embarassing!

The first one was only my second week in, and I fell over getting OFF of the ice! I mean getting off! Oh the shame.

The second was last week, during my skate UK 1 test. It was the first time wearing my new skates, which is no excuse I know. As you are probably aware, part of the test is that you have to sit down on the ice, and get up again. Well I got down ok, then fell over trying to get up! So I had another go, and succeeded in getting stuck bending over! Whoops!!

Mrs Redboots
10-30-2006, 05:35 AM
Well I got down ok, then fell over trying to get up! So I had another go, and succeeded in getting stuck bending over! Whoops!!Been there, done that!

Moto Guzzi
10-30-2006, 07:32 AM
Been there, done that, too. I was in a competition where every skater before me had fallen at least once. When it was my turn to skate, I kept telling myself "don't fall, don't fall" and I didn't--on the ice anyway. When I got off the ice, I caught my toe pick in a hole in the rubber mat and went cartwheeling down the mat before crashing into a trashcan. The audience was very entertained, and my friends couldn't stop laughing.

Another time I was skating outside at the Sculpture Gardens in Washington, DC, when a film crew came and set up their cameras. I was the only person there who was doing jumps and spins, and the crew asked if they could film me for a background scene in their movie. When they started filming, I promptly fell on my butt. :oops:

Mrs Redboots
10-30-2006, 12:12 PM
Another time I was skating outside at the Sculpture Gardens in Washington, DC, when a film crew came and set up their cameras. I was the only person there who was doing jumps and spins, and the crew asked if they could film me for a background scene in their movie. When they started filming, I promptly fell on my butt. :oops:This reminds me of an episode that took place at our rink last year. Our elite ice-dancers were being interviewed by the BBC about their hopes for the European Championships. The team had set up the cameras on the ice, and the dancers and their coach were standing and chatting to the crew, when the oldest regular skater at our rink, a man in his mid-70s, suddenly tripped and landed flat on his back, sliding into shot. He wasn't hurt - but, as the woman from the BBC said, what a great pity they hadn't actually been filming at the time, or that would have been perfect for one of those "out-take" programmes and they would have paid him a fee....

I have to admit that I, who had got off the ice by then, was laughing so hard I could barely see.....

Summerkid710
10-30-2006, 01:35 PM
I was coaching my teen synchro team working on our line that traveled across the ice with two sets of Russian stroking (forward step, cross hold) into a twizzle then other footwork. I was in front of the line when we all went into the twizzle except I stepped on my heel on the way out, fell and hit my head with the line right behind me. Needless to say, everyone stopped and surrounded me while I was flat on my back clutching my head. On top of it all, the I couldn't stop the tears from the shock of falling. It was soooooo embarassing. One of the parents went to get me a bag of ice while I kept coaching. It's not that it even hurt that bad -- just the shock of hitting your head while twizzling at a pretty good clip. My shoulders were sore for a few days afterwards.

icenut84
11-11-2006, 03:40 PM
Slipping off the edge while in the loop take-off position. Knock the wind out of me everytime.

Plushenko did that too in his 2004 Worlds LP! You're in good company :)

I was once on a dance interval, doing the simplest dance (the one that is basically just forward crossovers/swing rolls), and was going a bit too fast when the corner came up so I tried to do it at a tighter angle than normal, but caught an edge (or my toepick, cant remember) and splatted. It was embarrasing mainly because there were lots of people watching, it was the easiest dance, and because all the 10-year-olds near me stopped to ask if I was ok...

Another time, I'd had a really good lesson and was skating well, and when going back onto the ice, because I was in a good mood, I decided to jump onto the ice instead of stepping on. I obviously didn't think much about what I was doing because I landed onto the flat of my blade and immediately my feet went out from under me! There were quite a few people at the sides who saw me, and my bum really hurt...!

Amandaskategirl
11-11-2006, 04:18 PM
Wearing highly embarrassing costumes – a head to toe snowman suit, a catsuit, black curly whig – not all at once though. There is no way that I would agree to any of that now! Ooh and wearing that absolutely horrendous Can Can dress! Words cannot describe that hideous garment. Kateskate was part of that routine too.

During a group number in a Christmas show all of the skaters had to make a train and do a spiral. I flung my leg up and kicked the person behind me in the shin (who happened to be my skating teacher at the time) really hard with the heel of my skate! This was during the performance!

Sometimes skating tests are really embarrassing! A few years ago I failed a dance moves test and had to do a compulsory dance test straight after. I was forced on to the ice and skated the second test whilst crying uncontrollably, I was such a state – I failed the second test too and the judge wrote on my paper ‘a little nervous’ – you don’t say! What was even more embarrassing was that for months after people kept referring to that test and I met new people and they said that they had seen me at the rink before – the day of the test. It makes me cringe just thinking about it.

I have also had my fair share of embarrassing falls – one where I was attempting a biellman position in a spiral and tripped over my toe pick with my arms still holding my blade. It was horrible as I hit the ice without my hands to break my fall – I was very bruised and sore for days.

sk8_4fun
11-12-2006, 10:28 AM
well I did the one thing i swore I would never do....this thursday I came back from the coffee break (I always fetch my coffee back to the barrier as I get cold and can't skate if I sit down in the cafe to drink it) I was miles away working out what i was going to practice on the almost empty ice, put down my drink, got on the ice and realised as I was mid-fall, that I still had my skate guards on......8O Luckily it was a gentle fall, side ways, straight onto my butt. I felt so ashamed, after all I would never be so stupid as to do that..........:roll: