View Full Version : language barrier

sk8_4fun
10-23-2006, 07:21 AM
There is probably a thread about this already, and if so, I apologise for bringing it up again but I'm feeling a little 'lost in translation'???? I read almost everything thats psoted on this forum but occasionally the differences between UK and US skating terminology defeats me!! eg, scratch spin, power pulls, power stroking??? If anyone is prepared to volunteer a few 'differences' I'd be eternally grateful:giveup:

Thanks:?: also, how do the various testing levels compare?

Award
10-23-2006, 10:21 AM
hahaha... it's strange how they have to have different words. In U.S. - powerpulls. In UK....what are they called? one-foot slaloms right? Or edge pulls, or change-of-edge pulls.

Skate@Delaware
10-23-2006, 10:22 AM
My favorite: cherry flip!!! What is that??? Sounds like a sundae!

mintypoppet
10-23-2006, 10:36 AM
I'll have a go at a few. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

US / UK:
Shoot-the-duck / Teapot
Toe loop / Cherry flip
Waltz jump / Three jump
Power pulls / One-foot slaloms
Lunge / Drag

Some elements are listed here with their US names:
http://www.sk8stuff.com/m_recognize.htm

International test comparisons are here:
http://home.pacbell.net/anamga/appendices2.html

sk8_4fun
10-23-2006, 10:38 AM
Some elements are listed here with their US names:
http://www.sk8stuff.com/m_recognize.htm

International test comparisons are here:
http://home.pacbell.net/anamga/appendices2.html

Thanks these are useful, Its easier when you know what people are talking about!!! haha

doubletoe
10-23-2006, 12:47 PM
Also,

Scratch spin = corkscrew

Loop jump = Rittberger (at least in some countries)

Camel spin = parallel spin

TashaKat
10-23-2006, 01:09 PM
not forgetting the 'Toe Salchow' aka Flip :)

I had lessons with a Russian trainer for a while, a Russian trainer who spoke little English 8O It was interesting and she was an excellent trainer :)

Isk8NYC
10-23-2006, 01:41 PM
Flooding the ice (UK) / Cutting the ice (US)
Patch Ice (UK) / Freestyle Session (US)

???? (UK) / Patch Session (US) - skating figures

Team Arthritis
10-23-2006, 02:25 PM
i don't think patch exists much anymore in the US - that's what they called ice used in personal patches to practice school figures
Lyle

doubletoe
10-23-2006, 02:33 PM
That's true. My rink (in the U.S.) still has one 45 minute Patch session every morning, but the other 5 sessions are all Freestyle sessions.

Casey
10-23-2006, 02:36 PM
You think that's bad you should hear some roller skaters talking about "turns", and think they are talking about 3-turns and the like, while in actuality that's roller skating lingo for spins!

And then they take things that in ice skating are either not common or not worth anything, and then give them fancy names that you've never heard of. Like "shoot-the-moon"s.

Isk8NYC
10-23-2006, 02:41 PM
i don't think patch exists much anymore in the US - that's what they called ice used in personal patches to practice school figures
LyleToo true. Lake Placid still has a few sessions, though: http://lakeplacidskating.com/OCT1006.htm

Another good one:

US Rental Skates = UK Hire Skates

Sonic
10-23-2006, 03:05 PM
The term 'patch' in the UK did originate from figure patch - i.e. you'd hire a 'patch' of ice and practise figures on it. The term kinda became common for any kind of session open to those having lessons and practising a figure skating discipline.

S xx

TashaKat
10-25-2006, 12:00 AM
We used to have a 'true' patch for the first hour of our club session where the rink was divided into 'lanes' and we did figures :) It was quite enjoyable and gave you time to really focus without having people charging around all over the place :)

Patch sessions were private figure or dance ice, usually with a minimum test requirement.

I've never heard of 'flooding' the ice, always cutting the ice :)

aussieskater
10-25-2006, 04:19 AM
I've never heard of 'flooding' the ice, always cutting the ice :)

Down here, at least at my rink, we call it "Zamboni'ing" the ice, less commonly "cutting" the ice, and you'll sometimes hear something like "the ice wasn't made since last night". Never "so-and-so is making the ice", but the passive verb form only.

We call the one-foot slalom either that or a power pull (although if you see mine, you'll know why I don't call it a "power" pull :P !). A scratch spin is sometimes called a "blur" spin; we have "lunges", "camel" spins, and "toe loops".

(Warning: next bit comes from a complete jumping neophyte...):

I have heard my coach refer to waltz and 3-jumps, but he *seems* to be referring to different things: a waltz jump takes off from one foot and lands on the other, while a 3-jump takes off and lands on the same foot (literally, a "jumped 3-turn").

And Casey, I'll bite: what on earth is a "shoot the moon"? (Do I really want to know?? 8O :lol: )

SkatingOnClouds
10-26-2006, 03:43 AM
Down here, at least at my rink, we call it "Zamboni'ing" the ice, less commonly "cutting" the ice, and you'll sometimes hear something like "the ice wasn't made since last night". Never "so-and-so is making the ice", but the passive verb form only.

Duh, what's a Zamboni? Okay, I do know, but our rink doesn't have one. There is a small tractor with a dredger on the back which scrapes the ice.
So we have 2 terms: the ice has been scraped, meaning a light scrape of the surface, and the ice has been "done" meaning also somehow surfaced, and I am not sure how they do that.

I learn heaps from this forum about the UK and USA lingo. Fascinating.

Isk8NYC
10-26-2006, 08:03 AM
UK "Tuition" = US "Lesson" plus "Payment".

PreciseIce
10-26-2006, 08:32 AM
I have heard my coach refer to waltz and 3-jumps, but he *seems* to be referring to different things: a waltz jump takes off from one foot and lands on the other, while a 3-jump takes off and lands on the same foot (literally, a "jumped 3-turn").

Yes, after skating in UK, US & Asia, I do know that waltz jump is not the same as 3 jump ... thought some coaches says it's the same. If you learn the meaning & the name given, it will be clearer.

In skating, due to different learnings, there's noright or wrong... just that all learns differently.

Waltz Jump = Think about waltzing in ballroom dancing. You stretches forward ...then add a jump to it --> Making it waltz jump.

3 Jump = Like a 3 turn, you jump off the turning point and land into the ending of a 3 turn ... which is same leg--> 3 jump.

Have fun learning ...skating is always so easy when you know what you're doing & is able to finally perform the moves.

TashaKat
10-26-2006, 11:15 PM
3 Jump = Like a 3 turn, you jump off the turning point and land into the ending of a 3 turn ... which is same leg--> 3 jump.

In the UK when doing a 3 Jump you jump off one foot, do half a turn and land on the opposite foot ie you take off forwards and land backwards, rather like an axel but without the extra rotation :)