View Full Version : Help Beginner

outsidethe9
10-22-2006, 08:59 PM
I just started skating because I want to start playing Ice Hockey so I visited a rink and skated around a little with some friends. The problem is, my ankles (insides of my feet) keep leaning towards the inside so when i skate I can't help but make a /\ shape making me lose speed. Also the insides of my feet hurt too. I dont know what the reason is, because this is my first time so I looked it up and found that i had the wrong skate size? My toes didnt touch the tips of the skate so maybe this was true, or maybe i didnt tie my laces tight enough? Is this true?
Also my friend who plays hockey said I should just give up because of my feet leaning inwards but I really want to play hockey. Please help me, as I don't know if I should follow his advice because he has been playing for 10 years.

Casey
10-22-2006, 09:12 PM
It's not your feet, it's the skates. Rental skates are notoriously lousy. But yes, tie them tighter. Also wear the smallest size you can comfortably fit in - skates tend to run smaller than shoes and you want something that fits as closely as possible.

Your ankles will also learn to control better but a stiffer boot will mean they don't have to work as hard. Another good bit is learning to trust outside edges more - at first you don't so you're body instinctively stays on inside edges out of fear of falling over. You can get a decent set of hockey skates for $50 from Itec if that's all you can afford - the hockey guy I know swears by them and says they're actually better than Bauer and CCM (the popular expensive brands) now that they're owned by shoe companies, they just have no brand recognition. He also said good things about Mission, which are about 3 times as much but still considerably cheaper. I don't personally know anything about hockey skates though, and I think you'll find few who do here as this is a figure skating forum. ;)

Another thing to consider is to start in figure skates. As the same guy says, people who start in figure skates and move to hockey later tend to skate waay better than guys who have only skated in hockey skates as they tend to teach bad habits like leaning forward too much. And who knows, you might decide you like figure skating more anyways. :)

DallasSkater
10-22-2006, 09:26 PM
outside: Hi,,,you have come upon a figure skating board. I somehow doubt that was your intent....

Hard to say for sure what the issue was but a good fitting boot is important. Were they rental skates? It is not unusual for a brand new skater to have some difficulty getting a feel for having body weight over the blades...and for the feet to turn in....it is brutal to your ankles! You are up on just 1/3 of an inch of blade so it does take a bit of getting used to the balance needed to keep your feet over the blades centered. Usually a session or two is all it takes to get the feel...try holding the wall and making sure you are upright with no turning in at the ankles...then tiny pushes staying over the blade might be easier. Take it slow and you will be surprised how fast you get it.

I doubt that one time of having this problem is any indication that you are not appropriate for skating! I would not just give up. It takes a lot of practice and skill to skate. The rinks have learn to skate programs and you can sign up for a semester that will help you with basic skating skills then enroll in Hockey classes. Almost anyone can get the basics with practice.

Good luck to you and your efforts!

outsidethe9
10-22-2006, 09:52 PM
Thanks sorry for placing a post in a figure skating forums. Just don't know of any hockey ones. I think I'll buy a pair of skatesand take some classes. Thanks for all of your advice and support though, I feel much more confident now! :)

flippet
10-22-2006, 10:02 PM
No problem! We welcome anyone. :) Only thing is we might not always have the knowledge to help you, but for the basics, as a group we're not too shabby. Have fun skating!

Award
10-23-2006, 04:39 AM
I agree. The problem is most likely due to the skates. The rentals. If you're fitted with your own new skates, chances are you won't get that tilted skate thing. Plus recently, a skating mum was asking me why I was spending so much time and effort tying my skates. So I explained a few things. And then she says 'oh!!!'.....then she started to tell me why she felt completely out of control in her very loosely tied skates. It's not surprising, because unless somebody tells you a few things about skate fitting and lace tightness etc, an inexperienced skater will just think they're putting on a pair of normal shoes.

Skate@Delaware
10-23-2006, 07:33 AM
I'm a figure skater but also a hockey mom...so I will offer some advice on lacing your hockey skates. Make sure they are snug starting from the bottom (not tight, snug), then, when you get to where they start curving at the ankle, make them as tight as you can crank them and keep them that tight all the way up! Tie a tight bow, unless you have really long laces, then wrap those to the back and around to the front and tie your bow. That should take care of your laces.

Make sure your skates are the right size for you. It might have been they were too big. They should fit snug but not tight. Rentals have no cushioning or arch support so your feet might hurt from that. If you skate a lot you can pick up some really good skates used for a decent price either from someone at the rink or on eBay.

Also, if you are interested in playing hockey, check out the rink's Learn-To-Play-Hockey program. It's a USFSA (U.S. Figure Skating Association) program geared to teaching the basics of the game and skating skills. I am not sure of your age, but I would check it out.

Good Luck!