View Full Version : Migrating Crash Pads

DallasSkater
10-22-2006, 08:27 AM
Any thoughts on why crash pads would shift severely all of a sudden? I have had them for weeks and have not had a problem with them moving much but now they are migrating within minutes! I put on a brand new pair of tights so I don't think the tights are the issue. It also happens in my older tights. I am placing them directly on my skin and tights over. It worked fine for a while.

Would it make a difference to put them between two layers of tights? I have google crash pads and found shorts that are loaded with pads everywhere made more specifically for skate boarders but am seriously considering them...anyone try something like that?

Any tips for making them stay would be appreciated...one more fall with a crash pad out of place and I might be open to super glue!

Mrs Redboots
10-22-2006, 09:23 AM
Are you losing weight, by any chance? That could affect how your tights "grip" you.

My coach says his pupils eventually give up padding when they realise that they never fall on the padded bit! One young skater this morning had a nasty fall, and hit a nerve so felt it all down her leg, poor girl. Coach said "Do you want to get off and change into your pads?", to which her reply was, "No, they make any difference!"

DallasSkater
10-22-2006, 10:48 AM
Mrs. Redboots: Though I am always trying to lose weight...no that sadly is not the case for this. (Can you believe I am up 3 lbs from just this weekend! Those darn chocolate covered raisins that jumped in my cart!)... Crash pads just cover the major common areas but I have found that they save me tons of pain and injury. I am keenly aware when I fall that it would have hurt tons worst. I use to have bruises almost each time! Now I can take a pretty big fall and get right back up! I am a big wussy baby! giggle. I would have had a bad knee injury from yesterday had I not had the knee pads as I did land full weight on one knee in one of my jumps gone wild! I am going to be proudly pad dependent until I am a more competent jumper. giggle. Good thought though.

Sonic
10-22-2006, 10:58 AM
I wear knee pads. Thank goodness, I haven't fallen on my knee(s) yet but I like the idea of them being there. It sounds silly but I feel better jumping when I'm wearing knee pads, I guess they're like psychological arm bands or training wheels lol!

S xxx

mikawendy
10-22-2006, 12:32 PM
Sonic--
I usually wear my crash pads under two layers of tights. I've tried wearing them between two layers of tights, but the top layer is stretchy enough that they shift when I move. My crash pads are sort of a solid gel material with a flexible plastic outer covering.

Are your pads knee pads or butt pads? Some skaters I know have a problem with their butt pads shifting if they are spinning (centrifugal force maybe?).

ETA: I should have read the previous post before I typed my second paragraph--disregard! :oops:

Skate@Delaware
10-22-2006, 01:29 PM
I wear silicone-gel pads under 2 pair of tights and tight leggings, which usually hold them unless the tights haven't been washed in a few days (yeah, they stretch out)...in which case I use lotion on my skin and then slip the pads on while the lotion is still wet. It sort of acts like glue.

coskater64
10-22-2006, 01:34 PM
I bought crash pads from bunga, the are biking shorts with slots built in for the pads so they stay put, they were about 80 dollars.

DallasSkater
10-22-2006, 07:01 PM
Sonic: Giggle to training wheels...now there is an idea!

Mikawendy...I wear knee pads too but they stay put..the pads are the ones that are on side of upper thights more than on hips...without them I get huge bruises there!

Skate@Delaware...I like the lotion idea..will have to try that. I used a brand new pair so being "funky" could not have been it! lol.

Coskater: Wow that sounds perfect! Will look at those before purchasing the skate boarder ones..Need to make sure they have pockets where I need the padding the most! I have seen the built in pads in some brands but the pads are high on the hip and I tend to need the upper thigh more than anything.

Thanks for the great ideas!

Skate@Delaware
10-22-2006, 08:19 PM
I bought my husband the pads made for BMX bikers...they are pretty nice and have all the padding integrated right where he needs it. By themselves, they sort of have a Robocop/stormtrooper look.....8O

DallasSkater
10-22-2006, 09:34 PM
Skate@Delaware...I really like the idea of the pads built in...robocop/stormtrooper...hmmm...maybe I can carry a purse counter the overall look? giggle. Robocop with an axel might be a good look!

SpaMama
10-22-2006, 10:30 PM
Hey Dallas - next time you see my DD in freestyle, ask her to show you her pads, she has the shorts with the built in pads, and she also sticks in extras in unprotected areas when she is working on the axel. She wears hers under her tights - got them at Rainbosports.com.

Spa Mama

Sk8pdx
10-22-2006, 10:55 PM
SpaMama,
...You on the ice yet?:)

SpaMama
10-23-2006, 07:33 AM
ooooooooh! I knew I should have kept my mouth shut!!!!!!

I had breast reduction surgery in September and have been recovering, had a setback with an infection, but on the mend now! But I definitely have fears of catching a toepick and doing a belly flop on the ice!!! So, hopefully soon, believe me, Dallas is not letting me forget!

Spa Mama

DallasSkater
10-23-2006, 07:51 AM
LOL spa....I thought I significantly reduced the pressure since the boobie thing was happening! No worries...if you look unstable in blue boots ....your DD and I will throw our bodies on the ice in front of you to be your personal crash pad! giggle Thanks for the info on your DD shorts..will look at them and the website! I have hope!

Actually did better with the hip in the gym this morning so maybe it will recover quicker than I thought. I feel soooo old!

Skate@Delaware
10-23-2006, 07:59 AM
My first pads were the kind that you put into the "girdle" type of shorts. I don't wear them anymore but wear the gel pads. However, one of the other girls at the rink wears them and she puts her gel pads into the pockets along with the pads that came with them. Very ingenious! I stopped wearing them because they got too hot...

Team Arthritis
10-23-2006, 03:21 PM
If you are as cheap as me and still want some decent pads - may I recommend the McDavid "hexpad" football pants (availavle at SportsAuthority). OK they are grey and a little too long but they are only $40 and have a nice light and flexible padding that I prefer to the heavy Silicon gels. Just take a seem ripper and rip out the thigh pad pockets if they get in your way. THey don't make my sitspin anyworse than it already is :roll:
Lyle