View Full Version : Do I train enough? How much do you train?

newskaker5
10-21-2006, 03:19 PM
I started skating about 7 months ago and am now around Freestlye 2/3 in ISI. I would like to be good enough to start testing within the next 5 month and land all of my single jumps up to an axel (and that too if i can!) by April (my 1st year anniversary)

I skate about 4-5 hours a week with one 30 minutes private lesson a week(would love to more but it is hard with work). Off-ice I do weight training (full body) 3x per week. I do pilates 2x per week. Plyometrics (which I hate about once a week if I can convince myself to do it!) I work on jumps on a trampoline at least 2-3x per week. I also stretch 4-5x per week hardcore (but general stretch daily). I also run probably 4-7x per week depending on how much time I have between 3-6 miles (but this isnt really for skating just general health, endurance)

Does this seem like enough to meet my goals? Should I be doing more of anything in particular?

newskaker5
10-21-2006, 03:19 PM
How much do you all train on and off ice per week? and what level are you?

Skittl1321
10-21-2006, 03:36 PM
I don't train nearly enough. I am currently working about 65 hours a week, so I barely have time to make it to the rink. I currently am in Basic 7/8 (I just passed Delta and then we switched systems) and take a 30 minute group lesson once a week. I also go and work on practice ice for 30 minutes a week.

That's all I get. I am going to add a 30 minute private lesson once a month starting in November, but I don't know if I have anyway to add more skating to my schedule. I don't have a goal of testing soon, but I would like to pass 7/8 without having to take the class more than once. (I don't believe I have the skills to pass this time around. Most of the other girls came in with strong 1 footed spins, and while I have a beginning backspin, I can barely make an attempt at a regular 1 footed spin)

I also do mat Pilates, at home- as I no longer live near my instructor, for an hour once a week.

mintypoppet
10-21-2006, 05:11 PM
I've been skating for just over a year, and looking at the test levels, I'm working on ISI FS4 stuff. I skate for an average of 90mins most days, with 2x15min private lessons a week (one dance, one freeskate) and I walk for an hour a day (commute).

I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to answer your question of whether you can get lutz by April. Everyone's different - after seven months on the ice, I was only just learning a waltz jump and one-footed spin. I've never been athletic, and though I'm on-ice a fair amount, I wouldn't say that I *train* for that length of time - I don't have the stamina. I'm also injured at the moment, so I have to take it easy if I want to skate at all.

DallasSkater
10-21-2006, 06:03 PM
January will be one year for me. I take 3 skate classes that are groups, bridge, power stroking and freestyle and have one 45 minute lesson a week. I practice 4-5 days a week and workout daily in a gym..usually step classes. Bridge also has a ballet class that I attend once a week. It feels like a lot! But I am not sure I am in such a hurry to master all jumps in a year. Just enjoying my pace. Seems like I have picked up steam in my learning curve of over the last couple months but figure it will come when it comes. I am also starting ISI FS 3 and just passed 2.

sounds like you are doing a lot as it is hard with work. I keep adjusting my work schedule to fit everything in and it is not easy! As long as you are having fun and can fit in what you can then I think it is enough!

froggy
10-21-2006, 06:29 PM
it sounds like you are doing plenty of off ice training, be careful not to overdue it..you don't menion your athletic level prior to skating so be sure to take it slowly..the last thing you want is to injure yourself from overuse.

it's great that you have set goals for yourself in skating, personally I learn very slowly but even from talking to other skaters i think giving yourself just 1 year to learn all the jumps is a bit ambitious certainly not consistenlty, but hey you never know. how are your edges turns and stroking? its very impt to concentrate on these since all jumps have some entrance with a turn or edge etc.. and personally what i think makes a good skater is their carriage and flow on the ice with their stroking from one end of the arena to the other. you should discuss your goals with your instructor as well and see if he/she thinks your goals are realistic, he/she usually have experience with other skaters with an idea of what kind of pace you are on.

lots of luck!

froggy
10-21-2006, 06:34 PM
oops forgot to mention myself

i now train on ice 4x/week, (3 two hour sessions and 1 80 min freestyle), 1-2 private 30 minute lessons a week,

off ice- 1x/week ballet, 2x/week weight training at home, daily leg streching and 100 crunches, I used to do 1x/week plyometrics (jump rope and bench jumps) but i got lazy since the summer and haven't in a while

i havent tested yet, but im working on pre-bronze MITF with some bronze MITF elements as well, in freestyle im (still!) working on my sit spin, I can do a 1 foot, starting on my backspin, jumps i can do till salchow working on my loop, I hope i get my flip and maybe start working on the lutz by summer time.

newskaker5
10-21-2006, 06:53 PM
Thanks everyone for all the advice and info - Its really helping!

Froggy - I was a higher level gymnast, used to train about 25 or so hours a week (maybe a bit more, cant quite remember) so what I do now is way less than before. I did the wt training and running for a long time before I began skating - so the only thing I have added is the pilates and Im going to try to be more consistent with the plyometrics (I used to do this all the time as a gymnast -maybe why I hate it haha). And my trampoline work is more cause I miss gymnastics, but now with my new skating habit I just added in jump work.

I wish I could skate a lot more, but with the rink being about an hour away, I can only manage 1-2x per week getting there. Im working on more, but I own a business so time is limited haha.

I know my goals are probably a bit premature - Ive just been enthusiastic since I learned the toe loop, toe wally, and flip all in one week and now (1 1/2 weeks since learning them) I can do them all from cross overs and in combo - So I was hoping that was a sign I'd be a quick learner.

According to my coach, my edges, stroking, crossovers, etc have improved a lot and are bordering on him saying "good" haha. I can do a one foot scratch spin but havent learned a backspin yet. But i definately know this is all important and have been working hard on it (even though jumping is more fun hehe)

Rusty Blades
10-21-2006, 07:11 PM
I'm OLD and just started skating in January. I haven't tested anything and take private lessons (1 to 3 hours/week) so I don't have any formal level. I started with 2 hours/week, moved to 5 hours a week in February, 6 until this month, and now skate 7 to 8 hours/week. I want to add another 2 hour session but I have been skating on a sprained ankle and the therapist said not yet :cry: My goal is to compete in Interpretive in March.

Oh yes, off ice I SHOULD be doing more than I am but with only 3 evenings a week off the ice, I don't seem to find time.

Skate@Delaware
10-21-2006, 08:06 PM
I'm almost 45 and have been skating for four years. Here is my schedule (it's easier for me to break it down by days):

Sunday: 1 hr. show rehearsal; 2 hours of club (which includes 30 min of my lesson); 1 hour ice dance; I sometimes go back for the all-adult session which is almost 2 hours long

Monday: 1 hr. ice dance; gym is typically 20 mins cardio (treadmill), 20 mins weights, 20 mins stretching

Tuesday: Nothing...unless I'm nearing a competition then I might go to the drop-in freestyle which is almost 2 hours long

Wednesday: gym (again) same routine; 2 hours club ice

Thursday: Sometimes I hit the public session for 2 hours

Friday: gym (again)

Saturday: nothing...

I could do more but this year I'm striving for quality not quantity!!! I have a set schedule of what I'm working on when I'm skating, don't really talk much to people and skate hard. So far, it seems to be working! Same thing at the gym, I have a routine (varied once in a while) that helps me. I just don't want to overdo it.
ETA: I also work and have 2 kids plus a husband...so I'm pretty busy with all their activities too! My son plays hockey so we are back at the rink on Saturday mornings mixing with the hockey guys...

Chico
10-21-2006, 11:23 PM
I practice as much as I can. Some weeks it's more and others it's less. My average is 7 or 8. I work on staying limber and do spot exercises almost daily.

Chico

Casey
10-22-2006, 03:26 AM
I'm probably one of the craziest here...

Today I skated nearly 8 hours. Yesterday I skated 6. Wednesday I skated 5... Tomorrow another 6.5. I have had some crazy weeks where I skated 45+ hours... But most of the time it's averages around 20-25 hours a week when I'm serious (I've had my months where I've done very little at all...the beginning of this year for instance).

I'm coming up on my 2nd anniversary since touching the ice for the first time, and haven't tested at all yet, and certainly don't have an axel. I haven't had coaching in well over a year which is a big part of why, but I'm pretty content with my overall skating progress.

I don't do much off-ice exercise except occasional pairs stuff and demonstrating stuff for others. I have started taking ballet lessons twice a week though, which are an hour and 15 minutes long and are a good workout and make me stretch which I don't otherwise do. :P

BatikatII
10-22-2006, 06:01 AM
Gosh where do you all find the time to spend so long at the ice rink?
When I started taking it seriously (aged 37ish) after a year of (large) group lessons once a week on a Saturday I went to 2 public sessions a week and maybe spent an hour of each session actually working at anything including a half hour lesson a week. After about a year I added a second half hour lesson a week and really noticed the difference in rate of improvement (although it wasnt' that fast as I was trying to do both dance and free at the same time .

The most I ever skated was when I used to do 3 x 2 hour public sessions a week including 2 half hour lessons and a half hour group dance lesson, plus the occasional extra session with a group jumps class.

Now I skate just two 1 hour patch sessions including a half hour lesson in each (and rarely manage to do the full hour as I am always late!). I try to skate a 2 hour public session that includes a half hour group dance class but this is not regular and occasionally I'll do an extra patch session or extra public. Basically I am now skating between 2 and 6 hours a week with the average of about 3. Listening to how much time everyone else seems to spend on the ice it doesn't seem enough!

Off ice I do (when my back allows) a Pilates class, a ballet class and a ballroom dancing class.

I had no sporty background at all but have finally managed to get a loop and flip (having initially sworn never to have both feet off the ground at the same time and so doing mostly dance for a long time)

Gymnasts do seem to take to the ice well -presumably because they have great balance and body awareness so with a fair amount of practice I would think it would be very possible to achieve all single jumps in a year or less but it has taken me years to get to this point and I still dont' have a Lutz. I'm working on it though.

Sonic
10-22-2006, 08:03 AM
Good grief! 5+ hours a day at the rink...if only lol!

I started skating in January just once a week, 1/2 hour group lesson then about 1-2 hours on the public session afterwards.

At the end of March I started private free skate lessons (1x15 min per week) and at the beginning of May started private ice dance lessons (1x15 min per week). I was regularly skating 3-4 times per week, then had a few weeks off for an operation, and upon returning, the problem with my right foot flared up so that from June-August I was only managing to skate once or twice a week.

Now I usually skate 4 times per week, about 6 hours. Once my asthma gets properly under control I hope to increase this, and I'm going to do some off ice activities to help with stamina and flexibility - hopefully step class, yoga/pilates and possible trampolining.

S xxx

techskater
10-22-2006, 09:55 AM
I generally skate between 7 and 10 hours a week depending on how hectic work is. I also do 2-3 hours of off ice a week.

NickiT
10-22-2006, 10:44 AM
I skate four times a week - three days when I skate for one hour on patch ice, and the fourth day I skate the hour on patch and stay on for another hour and a half to two hours on the public session, so in general I skate around six hours a week. I also do strength training at home three times a week.

I daresay I'm amazed at how many hours some skaters here are spending on the ice each week. I did used to stay on for three public sessions in a week but found it counter-productive staying on the ice for long periods as I invariably became tired and suffered some of my worst falls towards the end of a long session. I find an hour to be right for me - I get off while I'm still at a point of making progress!

Nicki

xofivebyfive
10-22-2006, 01:03 PM
I skate anywhere from 2-7 hours a week. It really depends on if I was sick at all that week or if I have a lot of homework or tests to study for. The average is about.. 4 hours a week. I go about 5 or 6 days a week usually, taking Monday or Thursdays off. I took a 7 week ballet class at my rink.. but that's the only off-ice I do. It ended last week and I don't think I'll need to do it again.

Oh yeah, I'll be 16 in February and I started lessons in the beginning of this past April so.. umm about 6 months in private lessons and 7 in group lessons. And I just passed FS2 so I'll be going into the group classes Advanced FS and Perfecting your elements. So I guess I'll be working on FS 3 and 4 stuff.

coskater64
10-22-2006, 01:32 PM
While I should mention I am in the process of recovering from major hip surgery my usual schedule was.
Skating 5 x 1.75-2.5 a week
Pilates 2x a week
Ballet 2x a week
Plus I have a reformer and cadillac in my home so I do pilates work whenever I want

Currently I am here:
3x a week 45-1 1/2 hours skating
Pilates everyday 1/2 hour to 1 hour
Adding ballet 2x a week
Physical Therapy 2x a week 1 1/2 hours

I am not allowed to jump at all until december or january depending on several mitigating factors, once I am allowed to jump, apparently I'm not supposed to fall. This could be interesting,

phoenix
10-22-2006, 01:43 PM
I skate 5 days a week, totalling around 7-8 hours. Included in that are 2 half-hour lessons. I don't do much off-ice stuff, at least not consistently, though I should. :halo:

It's good to have goals, & with your background it may be possible to achieve them. You know your own skating & rate of progress. Axel seems to be a beast of a different color for most people, so don't be discouraged if that one takes you longer than the other singles, which are relatively easy by comparison. Make sure you also focus on moves in the field so you don't become one of those skaters who can do cool "tricks" but can't actually skate very well.....

--------

coskater--good luck w/ the whole not falling thing!!! :lol: Maybe crash pads?

LilJen
10-22-2006, 03:32 PM
I know I don't train enough. (Currently rather frustrated on that point.) I am almost always able to make it to the rink 1x per week, sometimes twice, and about an hour and a half is my limit before I start risking injury and falls. I would *love* to be able to make it 3x for 1.5 hrs each, but that may have to wait until my daughter's a bit older (she's 5 and in preschool), my schedule less weird, and a rink nearer (currently 45 min away). (Erm, not that the rink would move--presumably I will move before scientists gain the ability to lift a sheet of ice and move it!) Coach last week was definitely hinting/implying that 3x a week would help a great deal. . . I wish, I wish. I do make it to the gym 3x a week usually for 30-40 min of cardio & some lifting, and I do a lot of stretching while I'm puttering around at home (eg, watching TV).

Hannahclear
10-22-2006, 03:58 PM
I skate 3x per week. Usually just under an hour each time. It's not ideal, but it is what I can afford. I get an hour of lessons per week. Half with my moves coach and half with freestyle.

I'm skating enough to progress, to keep my interest and to not go broke. It's pretty good. I think that one more day per week would be ideal for me, but I don't have the time or resources available.

I also go to the gym 3x per week. I do cardio and strength training. I started doing that this summer and it's made a real difference. Used to wheeze through my Bronze program, now I'm skating a Silver length program and I'm not as winded at the end as I used to be last year with 1:40. I've lost about 14 pounds since July and I also notice a difference in the ease of jumping.

Casey
10-22-2006, 04:58 PM
http://figureskating.about.com/od/getstartedfigureskating/f/training.htm

"One private lesson per day is really the ideal option" 8O

kateskate
10-22-2006, 05:59 PM
Yikes I think I may have a lot of lessons compared to ice time. But I put that down to the fact that you can't skate early mornings at my rink unless you are having a lessson - so if I want to be on the ice, I have to have a lesson.

Monday - 1 hr practice ice (our rink's only evening session!!)
Tuesday - 1 hr lessons - 1/2 dance, 1/2 free - its the morning so unfortunately time does not permit practising as I have to get off right after my lessons for work and public transport does not allow me to get there any earlier.
Wednesday - usually nothing although sometimes occassionally I go to the group adult class - for fun mainly as friends go to it but it really only goes up to passport level so I guess I technically shouldn't go......
Thursday - 1hr lessons - 1/2 dance, 1/2 free
Friday - nothing
Saturday - usually nothing
Sunday - 1/2hr stroking group class then I usually stay on the ice for 2hrs in the publc session.

So I guess I'm on the ice for 5/6 hrs a week which includes 2hrs lessons. Sometimes near competitions and tests I do an hour on a Saturday.

I do try and go to the gym too - and I emphasise try as when I get home from work late I usually just want to sleep.

I started off with 15mins free and 15mins dance a week for about a year/year and a half then I moved to 1/2hr of both a week for another 2 years and its only been in the last year and a half I've had an hour of each in lessons a week. I also only skated one public session a week for about 2 years (but i stayed on the ice for about 3 hrs) and then I went twice a week to two public sessions. I had 3 times a week up until last year when it suddenly became 4. I wish I could go every day!

I find frequent short sessions are better than long sessions once a week - it takes too long to get back into it if you only go once a week.

Hannahclear
10-22-2006, 06:17 PM

:lol: So is a large bank account with no other purpose!

Terri C
10-22-2006, 08:28 PM
This is me:
Monday: 1 1/2 hour session with 20 minute lesson (well no lessons for three weeks- secondary coach was away.
Tuesday: Gym for 30-45 minutes of cardio on elliptical, then stretching
Wednesday: 1 1/2 hour session with 20 minute lesson with primary coach
Thursday and Friday: Gym or errands
Saturday: 1 1/2 hour session- no lessons here
Sunday: 2 hour club ice session

mikawendy
10-22-2006, 08:37 PM
Here's my usual:

Monday: Run 1-2 miles or off
Tuesday: Run 1-2 miles or off (depending on what I did Monday)
Wednesday: Pilates
Thursday: Freestyle session 50 min.
Friday: Off or walking
Saturday: Freestyle session 50 min. or 100 min.
Sunday: Stroking class (50 min), lesson (30 min.), freestyle sessions 70 min.

jazzpants
10-22-2006, 11:00 PM
Monday: 1.0 hrs. (new schedule...sadly my time on Monday nights been cut b/c I have to be up early in the morning for Tuesday's lesson... and if the crowd gets worse during the holidays, I will end up at our Skating Club's other rink for the Club Ice session.)
Tuesday: 1 hrs. including 30 minute lesson, gym cardio 45 min, weights and abs: an hour.
Wednesday: gym cardio 45, weights and legs: an hour.
Thursday: 1 hrs. including 30 minute lesson
Friday: gym cardio 45, weights and legs: an hour.
Saturday: 1.15 reformer group class, 40-45 minutes cardio, 1.5 hrs public session (will soon be one hour FS on Fridays come holiday season 'til the Winter :cry: )
Sunday: 1.5 hrs. public session (will soon be 1-1.5 hours Club Ice FS at our club's other rink come holiday season thru the Winter.)

This winter is NOT gonna be fun... I hate giving up the public session b/c of the social aspect of it... but if it's what I have to do to focus and improve... :cry:

doubletoe
10-23-2006, 01:18 PM
I think as you progress, you need more practice time because you just have more to practice. I am competing at Adult Gold level and working on my double jumps, combination spins, etc. I skate 6-7 hours per week and here's how it breaks down:

Sunday
1-2 hours freestyle. Skate my program (if I can get my music played!)
1 hour moves in the field

Tuesday
1 hour moves in the field. No program.

Wednesday
1 hour freestyle, incl. 20 min. lesson. Skate my program 1-2x

Thursday
1 hour freestyle. Skate my program 1-2x

Friday
1 hr 45 min. freestyle, including 20 minute jump lesson (doubles). Skate my program 1-2x

Off-ice: Physical therapy 2x per week for strengthening and stretching left hip/hamstring. I also stretch for at least 20 minutes 5 times per week right after skating.

TimDavidSkate
10-23-2006, 01:31 PM
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday - off

Friday - 7:45 to 9:30 (public session)
7:45 to 8:30 stroking around, edges
8:30 to 9:00 jumps
9:00 - 9:30 spins/program run-through

Saturday - 10:30 to 3pm (public session)
10:30 to 11:25 edges, jumps
1:00 to 1:50 jumps, spins
2:30 to 3pm cool down, edges, stroking, program run-through

Sunday - 1pm to 5:30
1:00 to 1:50 edges, jumps
2:45 to 3:00 jumps (warmup simulation)
3:45 to 4:30 jumps, spins
5:15 to 5:30 jumps (warmup simulation), cool down

Team Arthritis
10-23-2006, 01:40 PM
Its just not fair, never has been and never will be. I've been skating 7yrs - 1 off cumulative for surgeries, and I'd just be happy if my knee stopped hurting long enough to do my flipflopflip again, probably will never have an Axel. If I work hard not to hunch, my back starts spasming after only 15 minutes. The only natural ability I have is that I can take a fall. Sigh, good luck on your axel at 6 months of skating!:giveup:

My schedule: Mon - about 70 min 6AM Freestyle (nothing ever works right), PM go to gym and lift (tonight is a Zumba class too :roll: LOL)
Tues - 2x 50 min freestyles including a 30 min lesson. Bike a little if I can find the energy.
Wed - 2hr Public skatemare - getting so bad I may just give this up and start doing a 6AM Freestyle :evil:
Thurs - lift a little and a jumprope conditioning class :frus:
Fri - 50 min Freestyle including a 1/2 hr pairs lesson :)
Sat - 2x 50 min Freestyles and 30 min edge class or now show practice.
Sun - 90 min Yoga, sometimes 2hr public skatemare
(I need more days in the week )
Lyle

Skate@Delaware
10-23-2006, 01:46 PM
I need to add time to work on my ice dances....been told that i WILL be testing this year...:giveup: right....

Isk8NYC
10-23-2006, 02:19 PM
Wait - give Jo Ann's (the About.com Expert) full quote:

At least one to two private lessons a week is necessary. One private lesson per day is really the ideal option; however, private ice skating instruction is quite expensive, so that ideal may not be possible for many skaters.

She was addressing new students who want to be "serious" figure skaters. I didn't understand whether she meant you had to skate EVERY day (many of the high-level skaters do) or take a lesson every day you SKATE.

Not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone. Just being fair and giving the full paragraph.
(I'm with Hannah - an unlimited bank account would be divine!)
http://figureskating.about.com/od/getstartedfigureskating/f/training.htm

Sonic
10-23-2006, 02:19 PM
I need to add time to work on my ice dances....been told that i WILL be testing this year...:giveup: right....
Yep, same here and I know how you feel....I've been told I'm doing the British Adult Nationals next year.....:giveup:

S xx

Casey
10-23-2006, 02:32 PM
She was addressing new students who want to be "serious" figure skaters. I didn't understand whether she meant you had to skate EVERY day (many of the high-level skaters do) or take a lesson every day you SKATE.
She said that you should practice more than one session a day, AND have one private lesson per day (ideally, if not, a couple a week might suffice).

The point being, as adults, how would that ever be possible? We lack either the time due to employment, or the money due to lack thereof, and don't have nagging parents to drag us to the rink even when we don't feel like going.

So, my unspoken point was, it's not merely a matter of age, even an adult in the best physical condition who might actually stand a chance isn't going to be able to put that kind of time and money in logistically.

But even if I were a kid with rich parents, one lesson per day and multiple sessions every day? Oof! 8O

Sonic
10-23-2006, 03:13 PM
She said that you should practice more than one session a day, AND have one private lesson per day (ideally, if not, a couple a week might suffice).

The point being, as adults, how would that ever be possible? We lack either the time due to employment, or the money due to lack thereof, and don't have nagging parents to drag us to the rink even when we don't feel like going.

So, my unspoken point was, it's not merely a matter of age, even an adult in the best physical condition who might actually stand a chance isn't going to be able to put that kind of time and money in logistically.

But even if I were a kid with rich parents, one lesson per day and multiple sessions every day? Oof! 8O

Totally agree, Casey.

I'm wondering if by 'serious skaters' she means like Olympic level or something?

S xxx

Scarlett
10-23-2006, 04:06 PM
My schedule is wonky but here it is:

Sunday: Off
Monday: 40 minute lesson
Tuesday: Ballet
Wednesday: 40 minute lesson
Thursday: Ballet
Friday: 2 hour public session
Saturday: Off

I also try to swim, run, and skate publics when I get the chance. It also looks like a lot of ballet but I dance for the sake of dancing. It is just an added bonus that it helps with skating.

CanSkate_Rules
10-23-2006, 04:09 PM
hi everyone...just reading through all of these replies and i was just wondering if you're talking about the average competitve skater or adult skaters trying to do skate because that is two different stories because with being a competitive skater time can be taken off if needed because of injuries or other tests like a fitness test so i just wanted some clarifications because if the wrong information is given, say perhaps some adult skater comes and asks for information, and a competitive skater comes and replies, and then this adult skater tries to do that, it would be impossible because the amount that most competitive skaters skate are unbelievable because there are many skaters that do their shool stuff online or they're home schooled...just wanted to put in my opinion on this thread. also, skating schedule depends on how much you yourself want to do because if you dont want to do it, there is no point in trying to do more.

CanSkate_Rules
10-23-2006, 04:14 PM
forgot something....hehehehehe

for those who try jumps but cant get them for a long time...there are many different factors that can affect the way you jump...one major thing is the coach, and to me, the only other thing is your surronding because if there are other people there, they can help you by explaining how they do there jump...for me...i switched coaches and then over a short period of time my jumps were coming so fast and i was like i think that was the right thing to do...but i really encourage the looking for a new environment

TreSk8sAZ
10-23-2006, 04:34 PM
Okay, here's my schedule:

Sunday: Weights, run 3-5 miles
Monday: 1.5 hour practice, Weights
Tuesday: 1.5 hour practice
Wednesday: 1.5 hour practice, 30 min. dance lesson, run 3-5 miles
Thrsday: 1.5 hour practice, 30 min. regular lesson, weights
Friday: 1.5 hour practice
Saturday: Cardio, weights

This also includes stretching three times a day. I used to take ballet twice a week (I was a ballerina before skating) but I can't afford it right now and I don't have the time with law school.

As far as jumps, my singles took me less than a year. However, moving up beyond that has taken me longer.

crayonskater
10-24-2006, 09:24 AM
Assuming you're an adult skater, the 'train enough' question doesn't make sense in isolation. Training enough for what? To become an Olympic champion? (Har har har.) To stay fit? To meet your goals?

I enjoy skating, but have no discernible talent. My goal is 'don't be bored on the ice.' To that end, my ice schedule is:

Monday: 7-9am.
Tuesday: 11:30-12:00 lesson in ice dance.
Wednesday: 7-9am.
Thursday: 7-9am.
Friday: 7-9am when ice is available.

Off-ice:
Yoga: MW for an hour.
Ballet: Tuesdays for an hour.
Gym: Fridays when I don't have ice time, Saturdays when I'm good about getting there. Usually cardio rather than weights.

Skate@Delaware
10-24-2006, 08:57 PM
Assuming you're an adult skater, the 'train enough' question doesn't make sense in isolation. Training enough for what? To become an Olympic champion? (Har har har.) To stay fit? To meet your goals?
And the answer is different for each one of us. First of all, I skate for myself. Second, for the rink's shows (love them). The fact that I really like to compete is under #1 but competition prepares me mentally for the shows. Doing the shows is also under #1. It's all linked together.

I'm now pushing myself harder than I ever have (and paying for it also). Now I'm researching sports nutrition. All this skating takes a toll on my blood sugar and sometimes it's all I can do to maintain my weight (I have other health issues so I don't want to lose weight).

CaraSkates
10-24-2006, 09:04 PM
I'm USFSA Pre-Preliminary, working on landing my axel and 2sal. I have very solid single/single combos. Spins, scratch, sit, camel, layback, backspin, struggling with back sit and back camel. Flying camel would be good if the back camel was good! I've tested Pre-Pre MIF and FS and have Preliminary MIF ready to test just waiting till after State Games. Currently working on MIF Pre-Juv through Intermediate. Only Pre-Juv is close to passing!
I skate about 10-11 hours a week, one 30 min private lesson, two 30 min group lessons (MIF class and Cardio class). I sometimes have two privates a week. I also take 3 hrs a week of ballet. I had been doing a 1hr weight workout but didn't feel it was really helping and I needed the time for other stuff.

Rob Dean
10-25-2006, 03:47 PM
Not as much as I'd like to, but like someone else said, my main goal is not to be bored with my progress...

Currently I'm skating:

Sunday 1 45min session
Monday usually 1 40 min session (did 60 this week, that cha cha test coming up...), followed by social dance (an hour, but I can only do about half the dances)
Tuesday off (bicycled this week, ~1 hour)
Wednesday off (more biking, ~1 hour)
Thursday 1 50 min session
Friday 1 or 2 sessions
Saturday varies; last week did a public session for relaxation

Lessons vary, but the average is 2 20 minute lessons per week. Test level: completed preliminary dances, working on pre-bronzes, working recently again on that APBM test as well ... (plus the ABM 5-step mohawk pattern for help on the dance maneuvers.)

My son skates the same days, but usually double the sessions, and has 3 20 minute lessons per week.

Rob Dean