View Full Version : Bad blisters :(

newskaker5
10-19-2006, 03:52 PM
Lately since I have started jumping a lot more (about 20 toe loops, 20 flips and 10-20 combo jumps every session) I have been getting HORRIBLE blisters on my heels. First I thought it was from running (I run most days), but I stopped because of the blisters and they have only gotten worse every skating session. I was wondering maybe the jumping causes friction/ heel movement?

Has anyone else had this problem? I was considering buying heel cushions from CVS to place in the skates - would that help? Anything else I can do? Thanks!

Chico
10-19-2006, 07:19 PM
I had bad blisters once and Elsy, she's on this board, gave me some wonderful advice. She told me to use "Second Skin" over the blister and then put a blister pad bandaid over this. "Second Skin" is expensive but works great. It also lastd awhile if you take care. "Second Skin" comes liquid and as "gel pads". Buy the pads, cut them into small squares to cover your blister and store the extras for future use in a ziplog bag. The pads are made for burns but are very soothing for blisters. If I said anything wrong Elsy please correct me.

Chico

Casey
10-19-2006, 09:33 PM
Sounds like your boots are too long for your feet. I had that problem with my Grafs...you'll get callouses after a while but then your heel bone will start to grow a funny lump so...erm...yeah...time for new skates.

Until you do, the bunga achilles pads work pretty well.

Good luck,

newskaker5
10-19-2006, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the advice!

I dont know if the skates are too long- they dont seem to move anywhere and my toes are close to the end - the fit seemed great. Just with starting more jump repititions, Im getting these awful blisters. Could it be if they were too long I wouldn't have noticed until now? I've had the skates for 6 months and I'm not a high level (freestyle 2/3 ISI) so I dont think they are too broken in?

Casey
10-19-2006, 09:40 PM
I dont know if the skates are too long- they dont seem to move anywhere and my toes are close to the end - the fit seemed great. Just with starting more jump repititions, Im getting these awful blisters. Could it be if they were too long I wouldn't have noticed until now? I've had the skates for 6 months and I'm not a high level (freestyle 2/3 ISI) so I dont think they are too broken in?
Well one other possibility - are you lacing them too loose? Especially if you don't get them tight at the bottom half and right before the ankle, your heel can move up and down (try just pointing and flexing your ankle with the skate on as usual). That could cause rubbing/blistering too...

Isk8NYC
10-19-2006, 10:21 PM
Could you have your pro shop "pinch" the heels a bit to make them a little tighter?

Hannah
10-20-2006, 04:10 AM
My heel slips in my skates unless I really tighten down on the last two lace holes and the bottom two lace brackets.

My boots are FINALLY breaking in to the point that I feel they are tight to my feet, instead of just wrapped around.

Paulie86
10-20-2006, 08:16 AM
When i was getting blisters on my heels, i used Scholl heel cushions in my boots and this stopped the blisters. I put them in so my heel rubs against that not my boot. I think between my socks rubbing against my boots, it gave me blisters, so I foubd that this helped because it was softer. Hope this helps.

skate_star
10-20-2006, 03:49 PM
I agree with pretty much everyone's advice so far. I just have one more thing to add. Are you wearing thick socks? I find that if I wear anything other than thin tights I get blisters on my heels.

newskaker5
10-20-2006, 04:30 PM
Thanks everyone! I do wear very thin socks and I try to pull them very tight so no bunching which could cause irritation and blisters. I did but the heel cushions and I am searching for the 2nd skin for the blisters. I bought some lambs wool and I have mole skin to try and see if I can at least wear sneakers to go to the gym today- sucks having both feet torn to shreads :(

I appreciate all the great advice- I will have the pro shop look at them to see if they could pinch the heels/ exam to see if they are too loose.

Thanks - u guys are the greatest!