View Full Version : Is this appropriate?

newskaker5
10-18-2006, 07:27 AM
I was wondering if it is appropriate to email my coach to discuss my goals for myself in skating. It is very hard to have discussions like this in a lesson, since its only 30 minutes and I want to learn and not talk for 1/2 of the lesson. But recently I have made a lot of progress in just a few weeks and I have some long term goals, and some short term ones, I want to discuss with him to see if they are achieveable and also to make sure we are on the right page. Is this OK, or should I just wait until the next lesson and spend some time discussing it?

Skate@Delaware
10-18-2006, 07:46 AM
Why don't you send your coach a short email asking how they want it approached: via email or in person? They might want face time or they might want to be "briefed" ahead of time and discuss it beforehand. I would ask.

MQSeries
10-18-2006, 11:21 AM
You should approach him before or after your lesson and ask him if there's a time available that you two can discuss your skating progress, etc. He won't bite ;)

Rusty Blades
10-18-2006, 11:48 AM
I do email very often. My coach has more "free time" to consider emails than she does at the rink. If it's coaching related, I usually say "BILLABLE HOURS" at the top of the email so she knows I expect to pay for her time. (Speaking of which, an email from her just popped up!)

jazzpants
10-18-2006, 11:55 AM
Yeah, definitely email him! I can't handle any progress report stuff with him unless I 1) specifically ask him to set some time or 2) I email him. With about 18 students and his other job, there's little time to spend with him.

sk8pics
10-18-2006, 12:22 PM
Well, I would think it would be easy to ask your coach at the very end of your lesson about discussing your goals. I think it would be odd if you emailed kind of out of the blue, considering you see your coach regularly. I know some coaches who are good about email and others only rarely check. If you are uncomfortable asking your coach when/how to discuss goals, well, that is another topic, too. I think your coach should understand, too, that this doesn't have to be an hour-long conversation, but is possible to do in a short time period during a break between sessions or something like that.

doubletoe
10-18-2006, 01:03 PM
Why don't you print out the list of goals and bring it with you to your next lesson. At the beginning of the lesson, ask your coach if he/she has a few minutes to talk when you get off the ice. If he/she says okay, pull out the list then and discuss it.