View Full Version : Sucky JumpS

itfigures
10-17-2006, 04:37 PM
Hi everyone!
I haven't been skating for a while do to a very very bad blister and preparing for a conformation. When I stepped back on the ice it felt strange but the weider part was that I couldn't do any JUMPS, not just one but All of them!
I have been back on the ice 4 times after that and still cannot see what I am doing wrong.
1. Toeloop- seems to be more of a toe waltz
I WAS able to do the toeloop but now I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. :x

2. Salchow-Stinks. I can't seem to be able to swing my free leg arround and/or bend my skating leg. (are you sopost to hit the ice with your free leg before you take off?)

Any sugestions!?
Trust me they will be highly appreciated~:giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :bow: :bow: :bow:

doubletoe
10-17-2006, 05:18 PM
Well, you're in good company! This happens to ALL of us from time to time, and often with no logical explanation!

1. Toeloop- seems to be more of a toe waltz
I WAS able to do the toeloop but now I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. :x

Toeloop: As you reach back to pick, bend your skating knee deeply, keep your picking side arm and shoulder in front of you the other shoulder way back. Don't let your shoulders start turning until you leave the ice. Also, try to think of picking a little to the outside (7:00 if you pick with the left toe) and pull back and up. That will help you pick right on your circle instead of inside the circle (5:00).

2. Salchow-Stinks. I can't seem to be able to swing my free leg arround and/or bend my skating leg. (are you sopost to hit the ice with your free leg before you take off?)

Salchow: I don't think it's technically "wrong" to let your free foot touch the ice as you bring it around, but you should be able to *not* do that if you don't want to do it. It's hard to know what you're doing wrong without seeing it, but "not checking your rotation on the 3-turn" is usually a good guess. As you push off onto the 3-turn, push out a little to the right (assuming LFO 3-turn) and keep your hands at hip level and keep your left arm in front of you (11:00 or 12:00) and right arm to the side (2:30 - 3:00). Make sure you keep the arms still during the 3-turn until you take off. Also, make sure the exit edge of your 3-turn is just as long as your entrance edge. The rotation should be checked and controlled; don't curl it around and take off immediately. When the edge tells you to take off, bend deeply and spring up off the toe, not the middle of the blade, and scoop around with the inside of the thigh of your free leg.

doubletoe
10-17-2006, 05:19 PM
Oops, the middle paragraph that's in quotes is actually my response to your toeloop question; I just forgot to "re-quote"!

doubletoe
10-17-2006, 05:21 PM
Just thought of something else: Your shoulders might not be level on the entrance to your salchow. On the 3-turn, check to make sure both shoulders stay level.

itfigures
10-18-2006, 04:56 PM
Ahh Thank you soooo much!
Can't wait to re-try!:bow: :bow: :oops:

Paulie86
10-20-2006, 08:31 AM
This is just my two cents, but I know with both of my jumps that if my free leg is in the wrong position in either jump it really throws my jumps to the point where I can't jump sometimes. But I would really reccomend getting your coach (if you have one) to look at it because you could be do one minor thing that you don't even notice that is making these jumps harder.

MusicSkateFan
10-20-2006, 10:39 AM
Well I was on a Long break due to injury/surgery and then was away in Europe as well. I just spent from Aug 15- Oct 9 skating regularly with no jumping! I have been doing moves and edges and spins the entire time.

I just started doing sal, toe, and waltz. My Sal is better than ever because my edge into the jump feels stronger!

What am I trying to say?

Dont be in a rush to jump...get your edges back first then slowly come back to jumping!