View Full Version : Where the *$%^ is my rocker?

crayonskater
10-16-2006, 08:27 PM
I could use some advice on forward scratch spins.

Quite simply, I cannot stay off the toepick. I'm reasonably well-centered, as I put a divot into the ice because I'm on the &*&% pick, but I'm having a very hard time staying on the rocker as I rise into the spin. So the spin peters out after six or so revolutions because I'm constantly slowing myself down.

I'm also still starting from a pivot/whirl/two-foot turn, but I'm going to bug my coach to learn a proper spin entrance tomorrow. But I'm concerned that I have a very hard time staying on the rocker.

Any suggestions?

froggy
10-16-2006, 08:45 PM
while learing the backspin im constantly hitting the toe. what helps me is to think in my head "toes up" that helps me lean a tad bit behind my toe on that sweet spot and press real down on the sweet spot/rocker.

p.s just on the side make sure you have a decent rocker on your blades, it took me several months till a fellow skater looked at my blade and told me it was flattened, when i brought it in to the shop to get new blades, the guy was increduolous that i even managed to spin on such a flat! the new blades help but they are no cure, i still needs tons of help with spinning :giveup:

jenlyon60
10-16-2006, 09:24 PM
You might try pressing on the ball of your foot, just behind your toes. That should get you close to the "sweet spot". A good off-ice exercise is to stand still and shift your weight forwards and backwards on the supporting foot, without rising on tip-toes. Think about how the the body feels as you shift forwards. Then repeat the exercise, balancing on one foot (perhaps just extend the free leg slightly in front of your supporting foot so that it's 6-8 inches off the floor).

Then, standing near the barrier, try repeating the same drills.

sue123
10-16-2006, 09:44 PM
Are your blades the right size? I'm no expert, but I think the sweet spot is supposed to be at the ball of the foot, no? So if the blades are the right size, you should find it there. When I got new skates and blades that were the right size, it made a world of difference.