View Full Version : Skaters' Books

Isk8NYC
10-16-2006, 09:13 AM
Our rink issues USFSA Basic Skills record books (http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/BS-recordbook.jpg) for each student. It has all of the required maneuvers grouped by elements. I tell my students to keep them in their skating bags and bring them back at the end of each session. I then update and sign the tests that they've completed. There are little "star skater" stickers that the student is supposed to use for each mastered maneuver.

I know that the ISI sells badges for each test level, and I think the USFSA's badge program works the same way.

Parents: Do/did your children use these? If so, how?

Skaters: How do/did you use these books? Were they fun?

Skittl1321
10-16-2006, 06:03 PM
I actually love my USFSA sticker book- which is strange, because I'm sure I'm not the target age.

So far I have passed Basic 3, Basic 4, Adult 2, and Delta. So you can see I've skipped around in programs. Since I got a certificate for 3/4, a badge for Adult 2, and a "congrats" for Delta- I don't have much in "official" means of keeping track of where I am, so as I've learned skills in either the adult or the basic levels I sticker them off on my own- it's my own way of knowing where I am.

Turns out, my rink is going to USFSA starting this session. I'm now in Basic 7, and because I've kept track in the book, I can see what I'm "missing" from the levels I skipped due to different rinks, and will be able to get a private coach to help me on those skills.

I personally really like the book. My favorite thing so far is my Adult 2 badge. I wish I could have gotten them from my other levels. I'm a sucker for patches.