View Full Version : I did it- I landed a flip :)

newskaker5
10-15-2006, 02:09 PM
Thanks to everyone who posted on my half-flip thread that a flip is just a full rotation of that jump.

I learned the half flip at my lesson last week and have been getting good height on it so I decided to so for the full rotation today and I landed it! :)

Im so excited to show my instructor since this is the 1st "real" jump I've learned. He taught me the waltz jump and ballet jump so far, so maybe now I can get into learning some more full rotation jumps! woo hoo!

DallasSkater
10-15-2006, 04:19 PM
Wow newskater! Congrats on landing that! I just started with single jumps but am still struggling with the salchow and toe loop. I like the half flip so hoping it will be a natural transition to the full flip. How very brave of you!

Skate@Delaware
10-15-2006, 06:05 PM
That is really good!!! Congratulations!!!

I never thought (duh) of connecting the 1/2 flip to the full flip (shows that my mind doesn't always work at 100% or even 50% sometimes.....:giveup: thinking of the flip that way does give me hope (although my 1/2 flip is totally pathetic)!

itfigures
10-15-2006, 06:51 PM
LOL!

Don't feel so bad! I am glad if my head works 2% of the time~

Congradulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am having a hard time with my half flip, any suggestions? Movie, mabe!?:roll:
:bow:

Chico
10-15-2006, 09:12 PM
Yea!!!!!!!!!!! Congrads on your accomplishment!

Chico

newskaker5
10-15-2006, 11:18 PM
Aww thanks everybody! Im so excited to show my coach at my lesson. My non-skating family and friends dont get my excitement today haha.

I don;t have too much advice on the half flip since I just learned it last week and cant tell u if mine is actually good or not haha - but the one thing that helped me a lot was my coach explaining its not the jabbing of the toe pick as hard as I can into the ice that gives me height, it the knee bend on the picking foot - once I bent that knee a lot more I had way more height and going for the full was easy :)

Now maybe he'll teach me a toe-loop or salchow this week (fingers crossed ;)

NickiT
10-16-2006, 02:33 AM
Congratulations :)

Nicki

samba
10-16-2006, 02:50 AM
Gosh well done!!

:bow: :bow: :bow:

looplover
10-16-2006, 07:07 AM
- but the one thing that helped me a lot was my coach explaining its not the jabbing of the toe pick as hard as I can into the ice that gives me height, it the knee bend on the picking foot - once I bent that knee a lot more I had way more height and going for the full was easy :)

I have to remember that! I think you mean the skating foot? Soon I'm going to re-register as "fliphater" if I don't get this consistent. I entered compulsories in ISI FS4 at an upcoming competition just so I'd mentally force myself to get this thing already.

flo
10-16-2006, 09:50 AM
Great job! The flip was pesky for me, and came after the loop and lutz! Something I like to do is 1/2 flip, 1/2 flip, flip. It sets up a nice rhythm.

newskaker5
10-17-2006, 01:19 PM
Wow - this has been an awesome few days for me. Today I also learned the toe loop and toe walley as well as worked more on my flip.

My question is: I can do the jumps no problem - decent height for just learning them, wrapped arms/legs, but sometimes I just cant land on the toe pick- which is awful to land flat footed! Probably just takes practice since I just learned all these jumps since Sunday, but any advice on how to consistently ladn on my toe pic and not my flat foot? Ive tried pointing me feet in the air more, but even that doesnt always work :(

mikawendy
10-17-2006, 07:29 PM
Wow - this has been an awesome few days for me. Today I also learned the toe loop and toe walley as well as worked more on my flip.

My question is: I can do the jumps no problem - decent height for just learning them, wrapped arms/legs, but sometimes I just cant land on the toe pick- which is awful to land flat footed! Probably just takes practice since I just learned all these jumps since Sunday, but any advice on how to consistently ladn on my toe pic and not my flat foot? Ive tried pointing me feet in the air more, but even that doesnt always work :(

You can practice landing on the toes by standing on the ice, and jumping straight up on two feet and landing on two feet. Concentrate on keeping your core solid as you jump and land (don't lean forward or backwards) and land on the toe picks before you place the rest of your blade on the ice. If that feels scary, you can try this at the wall first if you don't mind that (some people prefer not to be near the wall when they do jumping exercises; others don't mind).

doubletoe
10-17-2006, 08:11 PM
Often, if you land flat-footed it means you aren't completely rotated. Just keep focusing on keeping your toe pointed from the time you take off until the time you land, and staying backwards over your landing side hip the whole time, and it will gradually fix itself. :)

newskaker5
10-18-2006, 07:24 AM
Thank you all for the great advice!

When you say keep yourself backward over the landing hip- what exactly do you mean? Keep your weight over the landing hip? I just wasnt sure (apparently Im not doing that! haha) :)

jazzpants
10-18-2006, 11:40 AM
newskaker5: Congrats on your flip!!! (So jealous!!! :mrgreen: I've had an almost flip (fully rotated, two footed landings) for well... AGES!!!) :frus:

doubletoe
10-18-2006, 01:09 PM
Thank you all for the great advice!

When you say keep yourself backward over the landing hip- what exactly do you mean? Keep your weight over the landing hip? I just wasnt sure (apparently Im not doing that! haha) :)

Yes, exactly. Keep your weight over the landing hip and also stay backwards; never turn your head to the left to look in the direction of travel. Keep that left hip closed (left foot in front of right shin in the air) and keep your left arm in front of you and a little across your chest, and keep your face looking straight or slightly to the right the whole time. You need to feel like your torso and head are one solid unit and you are pulling yourself around backward in the air with your right butt cheek. Sorry, just didn't know a better way to explain that, LOL!

sk8_4fun
10-18-2006, 01:58 PM
congratulations!:bow: