View Full Version : Feeling proud.

Chico
10-13-2006, 07:26 PM
Once upon a time I got hurt pretty "bad" working on the lutz. Bad enough that I wacked my head on the ice, burst into tears and sat on the ice holding onto my coach for dear life. (I like to think I'm pretty tough normally.) My coach actually cried too and held onto me shaking like a leaf. (I think he felt responsible at the time but it was just an accident.) I did get a huge knot on the side of my head. Since that time I've been scared out of mind of lutzes. I've worked on axels, 2 sals and even 2 loops without fear. But that lutz scared me! Today my new coach said things in a new way and it sounded less alarming. Today I bailed, fell and finally did one lutz. This was HUGE for me. Probably was ugly but I overcame my fear to try. I'm feeling proud of myself, =-), stepping outside my fear felt pretty good.

Had to tell someone!

Chico

mikawendy
10-13-2006, 07:40 PM
Congratulations! That's a big accomplishment!!!!

I know someone who gave herself a bad foot injury doing a lutz once, and she's had a hard time with the jump ever since.

KatieC
10-13-2006, 10:54 PM
That's a huge accomplishment - congratulations. I don't even try jumps anymore as I am just too afraid to fall so the courage you showed in doing that jump again is inspiring. While you're standing on top of the moon, give a wave to us down here :D

katiepeach
10-13-2006, 11:38 PM
I have sprained my ankle twice on double loops, so now I am scared to try them! I attempted one last night, and it was terrible and I fell, but I know what you mean, it felt good to kind of work through the fear.

Sk8pdx
10-13-2006, 11:52 PM
"The lens of fear magnifies the size of uncertainty" -- Charles Swindoll

Way to go for conquering the obstructive (fearful) way of thinking in your head. Keep going on your lutz progress!:bow:

NickiT
10-14-2006, 03:00 AM
Congratulations. It takes a lot of guts to go for something that hurt you bad, so good on you. I find the lutz quite frightening in general even without having got hurt on it. It's a scary jump and feels totally different to any other. Even now I have blocks on it. My first was fine in my lesson yesterday but when my coach asked for another at the end of the lesson I bailed out twice before doing it. I have this psychological thing that I can't do it if there is anyone remotely near that corner and yesterday a load of beginners were pouring onto the ice and heading into that corner. It's such a scary, psychological jump.

Nicki

DallasSkater
10-14-2006, 06:11 AM
Chico: Congrats for that huge accomplishment! No easy task post trauma!

sue123
10-14-2006, 08:34 AM
Congratulations! Overcoming a fear is huge.

Thin-Ice
10-14-2006, 08:43 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I'm sooooo glad you shared this. It's very inspiring!!! and just what I need to hear right now. I'm trying lutzes again (after not being able to jump for a couple months because of boot/blade/ankle issues -- all at different times) and I find them so scary my brain refuses to let my body do them. Today, I managed to TRY one at the very end of the session.. and landed it on two feet. It felt really awkward, but I'm considering it a moral victory over my fearful reaction. THANK YOU so much for telling my brain other people go through this too and it's ok... but it's even better to try it and LAND it!

Chico
10-15-2006, 12:23 AM
Thanks for all the wonderful support and understanding! I knew that folks here would understand how I was feeling. Believe me, this is not something just anyone understands. Need to be a skater I think.

Thin-Ice, Believe me your not alone!

Katiepeach, Congrads to you on your 2 loop attempts!

Kudos to everyone who has overcome fears and especially that dang lutz!

Chico

looplover
10-15-2006, 09:41 AM
Wow, that is a HUGE accomplishment! That's really amazing, congrats for beating that fear monster...:bow:

flo
10-16-2006, 09:47 AM
Good job! Being able to fall is as important as being able to land, and you did both!!!!