View Full Version : ice dance vs ballroom sigh...grrr....

litigator
10-13-2006, 05:32 PM
last year our daughter did a year of ice dance-partnership didn;t work out-hoping to find a partner for prenovice next year...

silly us allowed her to do some ballroom because she liked it and we thought it would certainly complement the ice dance part...

of course, she loved it so much she decided to compete pro-am with her instructors in it this season, after winging her way thru the first two levels of internationals and latins,

we thought fabulous (you see, you can get prize, or as they say, scholarship money ha ha to put towards your dancing-and the entrance fees are low)...

little did we know...dresses, even at discount, are 800 a piece for latins-and the gowns for international start at 1200...sigh...and we need three of each...
:giveup: for the championship sanctioned events...

anyone know where consignment or used gowns might be???? we've already paid for the first three....we're thinking maybe its time to buy ice dance dresses-only problem is, some aren't long enough...

and here we thought skating was expensive enough....after she grows out of these gowns ha ha it might be her last competing....

fdlsk8r
10-13-2006, 07:56 PM
I was able to find great gowns at prices that are decent - check with your instructor when deciding on the gowns.

There are literally hundreds to choose from. She is wonderful to work with - and her work is quick!!!

www.fotop.net/rainbowrainbow

I can attest that the quality of the dresses is quite good....my professional partner was impressed.

phoenix
10-14-2006, 04:04 PM
And just as in skating, if you buy an un-stoned dress & stone it yourself, you'll save TONS of money!!

Mrs Redboots
10-15-2006, 02:16 PM
E-Bay? A kind friend with sewing skills?

Tennisany1
10-17-2006, 01:48 AM
Three of each!?!

I competed in international ballroom and latin for a number of years at the Championship level. I needed one costume for modern and one for latin per season. In fact the provincial champions only had one costume for each per season. Perhaps things have changed, but I would double check if three are required or if her instructor would just like her to have different ones.

As far as where to get them, check with dancers her size at the studio. Many make and / or sell their gowns at the end of the season. If you sew, they are not actually as hard to make as they look. It is a volume / time thing rather than difficult sewing. I've made a few (they're hanging in the basement closet) which I'd sell to you, but my kids would have a fit! As someone else mentioned, decorating them yourself is also a big money saver.

Good luck!

litigator
10-17-2006, 08:48 PM
Tennisany1:

No, unbelievably...it really is 3 each...the instructors checked...the rules were updated effective in 2005 they said...they have a whole booklet of the rules...however she's competing this year, in both the open and closed latin categories and also the open and closed internationals (I'm not sure why both, but our child never met a competition she didn't like ha ha) and the five dance scholarship-simply because it awards prize money...the modern I don't know what this is...or did you mean smooth, not standard?? anyway, so she needs, apparently-three dresses each for the latin/international...maybe it has something to do with the open/closed...I have no idea...anyway they checked...because I didn't believe them either...I mean even in ice dance you don't need this many ha ha...and the other girl they have competing needs the six too.

happily tho, we also found a consignment store (did you know that some of the bigger designers sell their dresses slightly used, or when they've sponsored and the person gives them back...) so we'll see how that goes..its an hour from us, but worth the savings as apparently prices are like, a quarter of the price...

I'm a terrible seamstress.but I found someone who likes to bead...grin...and our skating dressmaker offered to help.....:bow:

Cheers.