View Full Version : coaching dilemma

miraclegro
10-13-2006, 01:41 PM
Hey all you wonderful, helpful people,

I need some advice. For those who don't know, we got ourselves a new rink here in Dec/Jan. So i am thrilled i don't have to travel anymore! Only problem is: the only coaches available are college students since it is a college rink. Not all bad in itself. Here's the problem: The girl i have been taking from has had some issues with both rink and students, i.e., her inconsistency in returning calls, not showing up for lessons, taking abrupt time off and not telling us, etc. I had one stint with her that was rough but it seems to be better for now.

The main problem is: She seems to forget that i'm not her level! So my Silver program she has put together has some stuff that i just can't keep up with (i.e. PACKED in stuff, footwork, etc.). At first i thought it was just me, but everyone who has seen me desperately try to practice it says it is too difficult. And my skating friends know their stuff.

I am taking from another student there, who is helping me with MIF, and i would love for her to "fix" my program, but it is against ethics. I don't want to cause a lot of problems at the rink, but even if i tell coach #1 i am struggling with it, i don't know if it will still turn out as an o.k. program. She does a beautiful job, it is just too difficult. I'd love to switch coaches, but don't want to create drama, plus, with things the way they are, you never know if a student's schedule will work out with mine from semester to semester. I almost need to keep my options open. I'd also like coach #2 to plan my Christmas show number, but don't know how to present it to coach #1. Sorry this is so long, but it's messing my head up! My Silver test session will be here in March, and i still don't have the back 1/2 of it finished! Help!

Sonic
10-13-2006, 02:00 PM
Hi micralegro

I know it's difficult, but in your position I would be honest with her and explain that you are finding the programme too difficult.

Tell her that you love the design of the programme, she's done a great job and you are flattered that she feels you have the ability to skate it, but say at the moment you are struggling with it, could you try something more straightforward for the time being with the aim of doing this one at a later date when you're more confident?

If coach #1 is any sort of a coach, she should be able to 'fix' the programme so that it still contains enough difficulty for the level you need, but is skateable.

S xxx

coskater64
10-13-2006, 03:06 PM
When I started skating I also had a college coach, and I had the same issues always an excuse very inconsistent and forgetful of my level at the time. I had a serious talk with her about how I was paying her and if she wasn't going to show up, she needed to give me 24 hours notice, and if I wasn't going to show up I would do the same. Mutual respect for each others time.

She did get better.

With regards to making things to difficult I would negotiate, at the time I was on my Int-Nov moves we would pull my footwork from steps I could master, the general rule we followed was once I skated my program clean 5 times we would add something to make it just a bit harder, that way I was challenged but never overwhelmed. She was a lovely coach.

Your coach should be able to watch you skate and see if you are struggling, you might look at your footwork and find the parts that are most difficult for you and come up with an alternative. It is important to say that you want to be able to do what she choreographed but for the sake of flow and speed you would like to try this until you feel you can master what she gave you originally.

Good luck, and keep up the good work.:)

mdvask8r
10-13-2006, 03:13 PM
Remind her that this is a test program. The required elements need to be presented cleanly. Strong, clean skating with good flow is what will convince the judges that you are ready to step up to the Silver level. Your objective here is to pass the test. You don't want to add a lot of extras, altho some would be nice if you can handle them well. Later the program can be dressed up for competition. Good luck!!

miraclegro
10-13-2006, 03:23 PM
the thing is....

the competition is in Feb, and the test in March. Isn't it true that i can "skate up" a level if i haven't yet passed the freestyle test? Therefore, last freestyle test passed is bronze, but i can skate silver at the Feb competition, correct?

mdvask8r
10-13-2006, 03:40 PM
Yup! You can usually skate up as long as it's not a qualifying event.

miraclegro
10-13-2006, 03:55 PM
What "qualifying events" are there for adults, anyway? I'm so out of the loop, i just know about certain competitions, and i may try to go to adult nationals in the spring.

techskater
10-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Sectionals and Nationals are qualifying

Debbie S
10-13-2006, 04:10 PM
If your test is in March, then you won't be able to go to AN this year, unless you want to compete Bronze. If you want to compete in Silver at AN this year, you need to pass Silver FS by the AN entry deadline, Jan 15 (or 16?).

NoVa Sk8r
10-13-2006, 04:24 PM
And, according to USFS:
If you pass the bronze FS test by the deadline, enter bronze, and then pass the silver FS test after the deadline but before the competition, you will not be allowed to compete in either bronze or silver. You will have disqualified yourself from bronze by passing a higher test, and, to compete at the silver level, you must have passed that silver test by the January deadline.

miraclegro
10-13-2006, 09:08 PM
So, you can't "skate up" at Adult Nationals, then...?

skaternum
10-13-2006, 09:33 PM
So, you can't "skate up" at Adult Nationals, then...?
No, it is expressly forbidden.

techskater
10-14-2006, 04:57 AM
It is a "qualifying" competition which means test level.

skaternum
10-14-2006, 08:37 AM
It is a "qualifying" competition which means test level.
Technically, the only qualifying events are the Adult Sectional events for Championship masters ladies & men and Championship Adult Gold ladies & men. At Nationals, the championship events are those 4 plus championship pairs and championship dance.

All the other events are still considered Open events. However, the USFSA rulebook specifically lays out the eligibility requirements, which do not allow skating up.

techskater
10-14-2006, 06:12 PM
Yes, that is why I put qualifying in quotes because it's the closest thing for non-Championship events to "qualifying" and they are treated in the rulebook as if they were.