View Full Version : Getting into the Loop Jump?

singerskates
10-13-2006, 01:00 PM
Hi everyone. I thought I was dumb and all legs when doing the loop jump and never landing on the right leg or keeping my freeleg wrapped around the skating leg during take-off and landing. But for me it was that I was just being off balance when going into the loop from the 3-turn entry.

Now since yesterday when I learned it, I'm doing the loop from the back crosscut entry method. What a difference! I'm able to keep my freeleg crossed and everything is balanced. I get all the way around and even land proper. Plus, this fits with my program's choreography really well. The judges won't even know the jump is coming.

Anyway, I want to do a poll on what method works best going into the loop jump. It would be great to hear why you like your favourite method getting into the loop jump. Comment away...........

miraclegro
10-13-2006, 01:50 PM
I don't know why, but i feel like my position is more accurate from a mohawk, as a matter of fact, i changed it recently in my program to insure a more consistent jump. I am going to work on doing it from backward crosscuts to get it consistent. I think everyone should practice more than one way.

Isk8NYC
10-13-2006, 01:53 PM
This was my best jump, BTW. I even had a double loop!

I learned the LFO three turn/drop onto RBO edge entry.
In programs, I also did it from the crossovers, or any RBO edge; no problems.

I teach it from the RFI three-turn, because everyone else at the rink teaches it that way. Sometimes, you have to go with the herd.

ETA: Here's a really old thread about the loop jump. Some of you might recognize yourselves - see how much progress you've made!! http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=19149

Sonic
10-13-2006, 01:55 PM
I like to approach from back crossovers, into forward ccw outside 3-turn. The crossovers give the speed and the 3-turn helps me get the momentum. Also I find this approach *sometimes* helps me get the free leg in a position to cross it over, though as you may have noticed from my recent posts, this doesn't always work lol!

S xxx

faeriefall
10-13-2006, 02:02 PM
Can I be weird and say I do it from an Ina Bauer? I used to do it from back crossover and still do when my I have to demonstrate, but mostly I do it from an Ina bauer, I just flip my front foot backwards and jump.

My coach and I were just fooling around with entries and she was like do it from and Ina bauer and I was like o_0 and tried it and it's my favorite thing to do now because it comes out of nowhere

It's fun to see the expression on peoples face during shows cuz I'm like lalalalalalaaaa ina bauer's are pretty then it's "BAM" and the eyes go O_O
fun fun:D

Raye
10-13-2006, 02:08 PM
Not so wierd!! Many years ago when I was 19 (and dinosaurs walked the earth!) I could do a loop from any of these entries, even the Ina Bauer one, which was my favourite.

When I returned to skating not quite three years ago (3 in January), it took 2 years to get my loop-jump back and it is only just now becoming consistent. I need 16 counts to set it up so I can take off from an inside 3-turn.

Isk8NYC
10-13-2006, 02:12 PM
From a Bauer - what a great idea! I'm sure it was great!

flo
10-13-2006, 02:13 PM
I remember my first loop lesson. :roll: My coach tried to teach it to me from a mohawk. Far too many feet involved! He gave up and said :try to jump it from an inside 3, and you have 10 seconds and I have to go".
Landed.
Now I love them from running threes.

NoVa Sk8r
10-13-2006, 03:41 PM
I do mine from an inside spread eagle.
LoopLoop and I do this in one version of our pair program. In another version, we use back power 3's.
I am now liking the Irina Slutskaya RI running 3's. 8-)

CaraSkates
10-13-2006, 06:02 PM
I voted moehawk because that's how it is in my group showcase program. However, in my freestyle I do fast RBO three turns (moehawk, 3turn, moehawk, 3turn.....) into a moehawk and jump. I also do it from crossovers (in my compulsory program). I can do the LFO 3 to the RBO edge but I find that awkward.

doubletoe
10-13-2006, 06:13 PM
Not so wierd!! Many years ago when I was 19 (and dinosaurs walked the earth!) I could do a loop from any of these entries, even the Ina Bauer one, which was my favourite.

When I returned to skating not quite three years ago (3 in January), it took 2 years to get my loop-jump back and it is only just now becoming consistent. I need 16 counts to set it up so I can take off from an inside 3-turn.

I answered RFI3-turn as my entry, but only because "Ina Bauer" wasn't one of the options, LOL! In my last 3 programs (including my current one), I do my loop from a RFO-I Ina Bauer. It ends in a RFI 3-turn with the left foot still on the ice. Then you just transfer the weight to the ball of the right foot and take off. :)

slusher
10-13-2006, 06:15 PM
For a long time I did them from a power pull, the "swoop" or "swish" method but am back to inside 3 as it is more consistent for loop/loop as the first and second jump are more even.

doubletoe
10-13-2006, 06:23 PM
For a long time I did them from a power pull, the "swoop" or "swish" method but am back to inside 3 as it is more consistent for loop/loop as the first and second jump are more even.

Hmm. . . that sounds like a cool thing to try! Maybe I'll get my timing wrong, take off when I'm on the inside edge instead of outside edge, and actually land the elusive Walley for the first time in my life, ROFL!

mikawendy
10-13-2006, 06:53 PM
In my last 3 programs (including my current one), I do my loop from a RFO-I Ina Bauer. It ends in a RFI 3-turn with the left foot still on the ice. Then you just transfer the weight to the ball of the right foot and take off. :)

Thanks for posting which 3 turn it was after your bauer! When you posted your 2005 AN program video, I saw that and thought oh, neat! And then I couldn't figure out which 3 turn it was after the bauer--I even played it back a few times. (I jump the other direction so I was also trying to reverse it all in my head to figure out what came before the loop jump...)

To answer singerskates's question...I usually do RFO3 to LBO to CW loop. I find I have the most consistency and height this way. However, it took me a LOOOONG time to land the durn thing on one foot. I started trying to do it from CW BXO and kept 2 footing it. Then I tried from mohawk and still kept 2 footing it. Finally a different group lesson instructor had me do an LFI3 and then hop at the end, and then we worked up from that to more height in the jump. Once I finally understood how to land the thing, I then went back to BXO or RFO3 LBO entry.

Interestingly, I much prefer to do a CW falling leaf from either an LFI3 entry or from a loop jump. If I do a BXO into a falling leaf, I somehow get too spinny, though I know some people like doing falling leaf from fast BXOs.

mikawendy
10-13-2006, 06:54 PM
I do mine from an inside spread eagle.
LoopLoop and I do this in one version of our pair program.

When you two skated at the adult show in Baltimore, I was sorta glad that the music had to be restarted because we got to see this part of your program twice! It looks so cool!

NoVa Sk8r
10-13-2006, 07:10 PM
When you two skated at the adult show in Baltimore, I was sorta glad that the music had to be restarted because we got to see this part of your program twice! It looks so cool!Aw, thanks!
I think we did sbs spread eagles into throw salchow though (?). I have so many pair programs going on my head that it's hard to keep track (we have our silver level program, our gold level, and a test program. Eek, I hope we're not doing a holiday program! :P )

Starting a singles program over again is tough enough. But starting a pairs program over is both nerve-wracking and tiring! (The CD player had gone haywire and basically started to skip and play our music faster. I told Loops to just "skate faster, we can get thru it." She looked at me like I was crazy! :P )

Skate@Delaware
10-13-2006, 09:09 PM
I had a learning problem with this jump...coach threw everything in (and was ready to toss in the kitchen sink) before going with back crossovers, which worked (more or less). Mostly less but that's better than not at all, which was how the other entries worked.

skate_star
10-13-2006, 09:17 PM
I experienced some difficulties with this jump as well. Originally I had the forward inside three turn take off. To say the least, it wasn't working very well for me. I then switched to the back crossover entry, but I was getting too much power going into my jump and therefore I kept on forcing it and overrotating, and falling. Then I switched to a take-off which consisted of doing "double threes" but it was more like 7 threeturns without putting my foot down and then taking off. I got a very consistent jump with this, but my air position was awful. I then swtiched to a take off which is very similar to the back crossover take-off, but I do a back outside three turn to get my rythm going. This take off works so well for me. I never want to change it. Actually, I jsut started getting my double loop back last week, and now it is completely consistent!!! So, my answer for my take-off technique would be: other.

Chico
10-13-2006, 09:55 PM
I've done all the options above. My pick would be from a mohawk.

Chico

Sk8pdx
10-13-2006, 11:40 PM
I have been so frustrated with Loop in the last few months trying to master it. I did it a couple of times under painful circumstances with a lingering muscle strain near my right ankle. (I wanted it to be instant success and forced the jump) then I buried it I was so mad. :evil: I did not have enough rotation, not enough height and definitely no edge! The entrance I was using was a (CCW) RFI 3. I have recently set myself in a better frame of mind to take it at a much slower pace. I am now relearning loop from the ground up. (Metaphorically speaking, I guess it is like realizing the difference between Microwave and Gourmet). Coach showed me the entrance from a LFO 3, then stepping onto the RBOE. This is as far as my attempts go. I am really trying to be patient this time and listening to when the rest of my body decides I am ready. I am working more on loops off ice. Anything worth having is worth waiting for. I know it will be my most favorite jump when it is achieved! :) It is certainly my most favorite to watch.

jazzpants
10-14-2006, 12:11 AM
Join the club on loops being the most frustrating jump to learn!!! Trust me, you don't wanna know how long I've been trying to get to the point where my free foot doesn't touch down on my landings.

I am now at the point where I sometimes it's not obvious whether or not I've touched down or not. In fact, one of my two loops video from this past Thursday had my coach saying "Did you land the jump!?!?!?" (excitedly) -- then asks suspiciously "Did you touched down again?" :twisted: *sigh* :roll: (And they are just one of MANY of those types of loop attempts too!!!) :frus:

I HATE LOOPS!!! I REALLY, REALLY HATE LOOPS!!! I REALLY want to make peace with it, but it just goes "Nyah, nyah!!!" :P and stays being a stubborn SOB... :evil: :frus:

Sk8pdx
10-14-2006, 12:36 AM
Jazzpants -- LOL!!!:lol: :lol So glad I am not the only one in a Loop place in a firey handbasket. :P

I actually love the loop deep down inside.
Really though, Toe-Loop is the jump we all love to hate. :twisted:

Casey
10-14-2006, 03:27 AM
I do it regularly from all of them but the mohawk entry. After a long battle learning it, the loop has become my best and favorite jump. Could somebody please explain the mohawk entry in detail?

I can't do an ina bauer, but I'd love to hear a good description of that too.

Videos welcome!! :D

Sonic
10-14-2006, 03:35 AM
I have recently set myself in a better frame of mind to take it at a much slower pace. I am now relearning loop from the ground up. (Metaphorically speaking, I guess it is like realizing the difference between Microwave and Gourmet).

Yup, I can relate to that one.

I just hope going back and re-learning gourmet isn't going to be impossible after microwaving everything lol!:frus:

S xx

Tessa
10-14-2006, 01:40 PM
I do the three turn but I'm trying to learn it from back crossovers. I call that my "big girl" loop.

Terri C
10-14-2006, 08:51 PM
I'm still trying to get my loop back to where it was a year ago.
I lost it in the midst of working on Bronze moves and learned a very valuable lesson- you need to take time to practice both equally. That's another thread folks- we need not discuss it here.

looplover
10-15-2006, 09:46 AM
Despite my handle I just went through a long long period in which I totally lost the loop, but now I've somehow gotten it back.

I learned two things:

The more I pull back with my right shoulderblade on the entry, the easier it is to get all of my weight on the right skating foot and then take off and land on that with flow out

my arms were all wrong and then a fellow skater told me to think of the arms as "putting apples in a basket" and I swear that fixed almost everything.

I get into them with crossovers now but first learned on a LFO three turn

Now someone please send me magic potion for getting the flip and also for being able to actually do all of my jumps in a program cuz so far that's not happening:(

TashaKat
10-15-2006, 11:44 AM
Oh the loop, the loop. Took me ages to get, loads of frustration, loads of plummeting confidence and then I got it and LOVED IT 8-) It was my nearest double (apart from 2flip which I once landed as a fluke) and once I had it I adored it, even put it in a Prelim test when I didn't need to!

Anyway ... got it from a FI3, it got me that bit of extra rotation that I needed to get the jump which gave me the confidence which gave me the loop :) My preferred way (though I could do it from any entry in the end) was from back crossovers, you could really pick up speed and get a nice flow into it.

I http://www.krystalrose.com/angels/img/toy/heart.gif the loop :D

Sonic
10-15-2006, 12:21 PM
Reading this thread, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one who finds the loop difficult.

Don't get me wrong - I don't mean I'm glad everyone else is having problems, I mean it's something of a relief to know that it is not unusual to take a while to 'conquer' this jump. Been working on it for about 5 months now (minus a month where I couldn't jump at all due to sore foot), and on a good day I can land it, fully rotated but to steal another poster's phrase, my Loops tend to be 'microwaved' rather than 'gourmet'.

Strange thing is - the Loop is a jump I enjoy doing, much better than a Salchow for instance (even though my Salchow is absolutely fine).

S xxx

kateskate
10-15-2006, 04:55 PM
I learnt it from a LI 3 (I'm a CW skater) but once I could get the rotation, my teacher made me do it from back crossovers - I feel I can get more height and length with the backcrossovers entrances.

However, when trying double loops, my teacher tried to get me to do BO3s and mohawks into it......

Isk8NYC
10-15-2006, 05:36 PM
Could somebody please explain the mohawk entry in detail?RFI Mohawk-to-LBI edge. Step down onto a RBO edge, CHECK, and then execute the jump from the RBO edge. (Essentially the same as a LFO 3-turn entry once you're on the LBI edge.) I agree with Flo -- too many feet! LOL

Sk8pdx
10-15-2006, 08:02 PM
Reading this thread, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one who finds the loop difficult.

Don't get me wrong - I don't mean I'm glad everyone else is having problems, I mean it's something of a relief to know that it is not unusual to take a while to 'conquer' this jump. Been working on it for about 5 months now (minus a month where I couldn't jump at all due to sore foot), and on a good day I can land it, fully rotated but to steal another poster's phrase, my Loops tend to be 'microwaved' rather than 'gourmet'.

Strange thing is - the Loop is a jump I enjoy doing, much better than a Salchow for instance (even though my Salchow is absolutely fine).

S xxx

Sonic,
as far as loop goes, it is as if am right in the same "mental zone" as you. It is a relief. I can't wait to read your posts when you announce that you land them consistently and cleanly. Happy loops, and happy landings to you!:D :bow: I may even be brave enough to post video when mine happens. but we'll wait and see.:?? :)

Chico
10-15-2006, 09:17 PM
I'm actually a skater who LOVES the loop. My suggestion is to really trust that edge. You can't make this jump happen if you know what I mean, you just have to wait and let the edge do the work. Harder said than done when first learning.

Chico

Skate@Delaware
10-16-2006, 11:00 AM
I'm actually a skater who LOVES the loop. My suggestion is to really trust that edge. You can't make this jump happen if you know what I mean, you just have to wait and let the edge do the work. Harder said than done when first learning.

Chico
This was the one thing my coach noticed when I first started learning it...I was leaning AWAY from the edge, fighting it! So she had me do all kinds of weird backwards things on that outside edge (even falling a few times) to get over it and to trust myself. She even had me learn the flip to "feel" the edge on that jump. Now I can tell if I'm on the outside edge and if I'm deep enough.

It is a hard jump because you are really hanging out there...it does involve a lot of trust!

Casey
10-16-2006, 12:54 PM
Agreed 100%...

doubletoe
10-16-2006, 02:08 PM
I do it regularly from all of them but the mohawk entry. After a long battle learning it, the loop has become my best and favorite jump. Could somebody please explain the mohawk entry in detail?

I can't do an ina bauer, but I'd love to hear a good description of that too.

Videos welcome!! :D

Mohawk: (assuming CCW jumper) Do RFI mohawk so you exit on LBI edge. Then step down onto RBO edge and take off.

Ina Bauer: Right foot leading and either on outside or inside edge, left foot back and on inside edge. Keeping both feet on the ice, transfer a little more weight onto the right foot and do a RFI 3-turn on the right foot so you turn in to face the left foot. You are now facing backwards and your left foot is resting on the ice in front of you, so you just take off for the loop jump.

I do an Ina Bauer-loop-axel about 45 seconds into this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzbGYcv1zmc

Kristin
10-16-2006, 02:11 PM
I always liked the back crossovers into the loop. I can get a lot of speed that way!

xofivebyfive
10-16-2006, 03:38 PM
I do it from a mohawk.. I think.

Sonic
10-16-2006, 03:53 PM
Well folks guess what?

Worked a lot on jumps in free skate lesson today. We got to loop, and after a couple of attempts - landed by not great 'quality', coach noticed that I was trailing my free foot behind instead of in front on take off.

So, I tried again, really concentrated.

And bam.

Finally.

I HAVE A REAL LOOP.:D
Fully rotated, legs crosed in air, landed on a running edge.

Shame nothing else is going right in my skating...but that's another story.

S x x

NickiT
10-16-2006, 04:52 PM
Well folks guess what?

Worked a lot on jumps in free skate lesson today. We got to loop, and after a couple of attempts - landed by not great 'quality', coach noticed that I was trailing my free foot behind instead of in front on take off.

And bam.

Finally.

S x x

YAY!!!! Don't worry about the other jumps. You got your loop...be happy!!! The other jumps aren't gone for good. My jumps come and go especially if I spend a lot of time on one in particular and neglect another! Celebrate your new found loop!!!!

Nicki

doubletoe
10-16-2006, 05:41 PM
Well folks guess what?

And bam.

Finally.

S x x

Hey, that's a big deal!! Congratulations!! :bow: :D

jazzpants
10-17-2006, 09:04 AM
Congratulations!!! :D

(So JEALOUS!!! :mrgreen: :P )

Going to my secondary coach now... see if I can sleep walk my way into getting a loop!!! :giveup: (She wants me to think while I skate. At 7:30am in the morning, it ain't gonna happen!!!) :giveup:

vesperholly
10-17-2006, 04:28 PM
I do mohawk - back crossovers, step forward on LFO, RFI mohawk, widestep and bring feet in line to two-foot stance LBI/RBO, deepen the curve and then loop.