View Full Version : Where to Shop?

LoveToLearn
10-12-2006, 02:52 PM
Hello everyone :)

Its my first day here and I just wanted to pop in and say hi.
I am 30 years old and I have never been on skates, but I just signed
up for "Adult Beginner" classes in my area and classes start monday night!

I'm so excited, I just can't wait. If anyone has any advice feel free to email me. I got my skates from this wonderful store in Toronto called the Figure Skating Boutique. Great staff and good prices. I cant wait to try on my skates tonight.

Wish me luck, there's only 9 classes, and I'm a little nervous.

Sincerly,
LoveToLearn :)

flippet
10-12-2006, 04:12 PM
Fantastic! :) (I'm going to copy this to the On Ice section where all the folks who skate hang out.)

So, you've got brand new skates? There's a couple of sticky threads (at the top) in the On Ice (http://www.skatingforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16) section that you might want to look at.

First thing--are the blades sharpened? The 'factory sharpening' isn't usually good enough to actually skate on, so you'll want to get that done.

Second--your skates will be stiff. You'll probably NOT want to lace them ALL the way to the top for the first few times you skate in them (until they start breaking in). You need the extra knee bend that some room at the top gives you. My suggestion is to tie the skates comfortably over the mid-foot, VERY tight at the ankle bend, and rather snug for the first two hooks. If you feel you still need a bit more support, try the third hook, but be sure you can bend your knees pretty deeply without cutting up your ankles (which may happen if you tie the skates ALL the way to the top. Tuck in the laces so you don't snag one with the other toepick. Oh, and you'll want to wear VERY thin socks, or even nylons to skate in (hopefully your fitter told you this when you bought the skates, so you didn't buy them too big.)

Third....the cardinal rule of skating is (say it with me, folks! :D)......

BEND YOUR KNEES!!! :D:D:D:D:D

(Just remember to NOT break at the waist when you do this--flat back, bend at knees and ankles, NOT at waist.)

Listen to your coach, and HAVE FUN!!!

(Sounds like we've got another potential AOSS 'victim', guys!! ;) )

Raye
10-12-2006, 04:55 PM
WELCOME TO THE GREAT OBSESSION:bow:

doubletoe
10-12-2006, 05:27 PM
Yes, everything the others said, and if you keep your chest over your knees over your toes while keeping your chin up and shoulders back, you will avoid 90% of all falls. :) Welcome to the ice!

miss cleo
10-12-2006, 06:11 PM
I get all my boots and blades from the folks at the Figure Skating Boutique in Toronto. Friendly KNOWLEDGEABLE staff make it worth the trip!

Debbie S
10-12-2006, 08:43 PM
I got my skates from this wonderful store in Toronto called the Figure Skating Boutique. Great staff and good prices. And let me guess, you work for them, right? Your coming here and posting a plug for them in a thread titled "Where to Shop" that you tried to disguise as a post about starting skating (to get people to think it's not a promotion) is actually a marketing tactic?

I have an MBA in marketing, so yeah, I'm cynical about stuff like this. I would think if someone were introducing themselves as a new skater, they would title their thread "New Skater Says Hi", or something like that.

Sorry, I'm just annoyed by spammers.

Canskater
10-13-2006, 07:21 AM
Hi:

I've bought skatewear (i.e. tights, laces, etc.) at Figure Skate Boutique ... I also made the mistake of taking my skates there for sharpening once. The guy who did them (a skater himself who does some dance coaching in Richmond Hill) wasn't very good, and there were grabby burrs on the edges.

I highly recommnd Jake Brunot for sharpenings .... he is located off of Langstaff in the Thornhill area.

skate_star
10-13-2006, 09:11 PM
I've searched a lot around the GTA and if anyone wants some advice in terms of stores to get skates, dresses, where to get sharpenings, etc. just PM me, and I'll gladly give you some advice. Also, everyone I know goes to Jake's for sharpening so I'd recommend him as well. FSB tends to not do as professional sharpenings. I'm not trying to promote anyone compared to others, I'm just willing to offer some advice. There are so many places to go for skating stuff, so it's hard to find the good places.

LoveToLearn
10-16-2006, 08:11 AM
Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to say thanks for the great advice. I'll try to remember to bend my knees :)
The first class is tonight, I'm a little nervous, (especially about the people who will be around the boards watching...I have had social phobia since I was a child), and have had the stomach flu all weekend.
I've got my bag all packed, skates have been sharpened, comfy pants and a fleece to stay warm, gloves, and a helmet. I even went to the rink where the class is taking place yesterday just to see how long it would take to get there and what its like inside. It was cold.. and lots of kids around. I have a 10 hrs shift today and then its about an hour to get to the rink. My hubby is going to met me at the rink when he gets off work. Wish me luck, this is taking every bit of courage I have!

airyfairy76
10-16-2006, 10:15 AM
Go for it LoveToLearn - it's the best thing I did in ages, and I am completely hooked now.

You will probably find that there won't be loads of people watching, just parents of any children that might be there, and they will be far too busy watching their own little darlings. :lol:

Just remember, have fun, don't worry if you find it hard (it gets easier in time) and relax!

Tinkerbell
10-26-2006, 08:35 AM
Just remember, have fun, don't worry if you find it hard (it gets easier in time) and relax!

If it wasn't hard (with the potential, of course, of getting easier), it wouldn't be any fun. :lol:

frvanilla
11-05-2006, 07:55 PM
I highly recommnd Jake Brunot for sharpenings .... he is located off of Langstaff in the Thornhill area.
Anyone has Jake's number and address? Is appointment needed?
My right blade is nicked and I need a quick fix.