View Full Version : Half flip jump

newskaker5
10-11-2006, 12:01 AM
I just learned this jump and was wondering - if you did the full rotation vs just a half would this be a true flip jump? or is it a totally different jump all together?

samba
10-11-2006, 12:45 AM
A full rotation would be a true flip, although for some reason I find the half flip harder, I use a half flip to link jumps in combinations, the landing gives me a good entry for a salchow.

Mercedeslove
10-11-2006, 01:12 AM
A full rotation would be a true flip, although for some reason I find the half flip harder, I use a half flip to link jumps in combinations, the landing gives me a good entry for a salchow.

I find this jump hard too. I have no problems with other jumps but suck at this.

newskaker5
10-11-2006, 07:26 AM
I just learned the jump and love it (I havent learned a flip or anything else) and thats probably why I found it easy. I seem to have a lot of height so maybe I'll go for the other half (haha prob not since I dont want to learn bad technique).

Question: Since I havent learn the toe loop yet - what is the difference between the toe loop and the flip? Do you pic with a different foot? Thanks!

doubletoe
10-11-2006, 11:55 AM
Yes, the difference is that for a toeloop, you pick with the left foot and land backwards on the right (assuming you rotate CCW like most of us do). For a flip, you pick with the right and land backwards on the right.

newskaker5
10-11-2006, 12:11 PM
so if the toe loop and the flip are so similar, how come the flip is considered a harder jump? Or is it just considered that because it tends to be taught later?

doubletoe
10-11-2006, 12:16 PM
The flip is harder than the toeloop because you have to take off and land on the same foot. On the toeloop, you can start bringing your right leg around while you are still on the toepick (giving you a 1/4 turn "cheat" on takeoff), but you can't do that on the flip because your picking foot is your landing foot.