View Full Version : Do your sharpenings wear unevenly?

crayonskater
10-10-2006, 03:22 PM
My blades seem to go dull at different speeds. Specifically, left skate seems to be duller than right skate, and inside edge is duller than the outside edge.

Is this usual? I am probably the world's most in need of a sharpening person at the moment, but if the uneven wearing is indicative of a larger problem, it would be good to know before a future sharpening.

jp1andOnly
10-10-2006, 03:26 PM
mine tend to do that as well. I kinow I'm harder on one boot than the other.

Kristin
10-10-2006, 03:44 PM
Yes. If I work on a lot of spins or a specific edge jump, I can definitely feel the wear on the respective edge.

Same goes for when I work on a lot of dance (pre-silver) or when I was working on all the MITF from the Adult Silver moves test. That dulls my edges really fast.

Casey
10-10-2006, 05:06 PM
Mine used to do that, but I've been making more of an effort to do things in both directions in the last few months which has helped. :)

I do hate clockwise stuff, though :P :lol:

crayonskater
10-10-2006, 05:45 PM
Thanks, good to know. I skidded on a crossover today, and I know my technique is not that bad nor my power that strong. (I may need a deeper edge, though I think I may be reacting to the need for a sharpening.)

mikawendy
10-10-2006, 07:38 PM
My right inside edge always goes first, as I often stop by doing a skid on the right foot instead of doing a T stop on my left foot.

Also, I had some kind of odd near-click-of-death with the FO-BO mohawk on the 8 step recently, and then the back 1/4 portion of my LBO edge was destroyed. (I could feel it along the side of the blade--where you're not supposed to be able to feel the blade.) I had to get a sharpening early just to take care of it!