View Full Version : Stretching

soniaissuper
10-08-2006, 07:40 PM
Hi All...

I apologize if this is a recurrent thread but does anyone have good advice on a dvd or book about stretching? I'd appreciate any/all info.

Happy Skating!

DallasSkater
10-08-2006, 08:03 PM
Hi soniaissupe! Notice you are in the Dallas area too! Where do you skate? I primarily skate at polar ice in Grapevine.

I take pilates and yoga at my gym though I am a step die hard. I will stay for stretch after step but since skating will take the true classes for flexibility. I am now taking a ballet class as part of my bridge program at the rink. So far it is not as intense as I was expecting. Not sure of DVD's or books as I prefer the groups. Hopefully some others on the board will have better information for you!

Sk8pdx
10-08-2006, 08:48 PM
Ooooo. More Dallas friends, yaaaaay!!! :D

ouijaouija
10-09-2006, 08:22 AM
I really want to get more flexible, i want to be able to do the bauer and spread eagle, but my body won't let me!

doubletoe
10-09-2006, 12:28 PM
This is a great site for just about all of the stretches you'll need to do as a skater:
http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/docs/rec/stretching/stretching_7.html

For open hips (outside spread eagle & Ina Bauer), do the "groin and inner thigh stretch" which is also known as the butterfly stretch. I like to sit with my back flush against the wall, put my hands on my knees and just sit there and let gravity do its thing for about 5 minutes instead of pushing my knees down. This stretch is what enabled me to get my body straight instead of sticking my butt out on my outside spread eagle.