View Full Version : my arches hurt. any advice?

edgygirl
10-08-2006, 12:28 PM
I'm a brand new skater at 32. I started about three months ago and was thrilled when I was finally able to shuffle around the rink (I had a very intense relationship with the wall). I'm in the LTS program (Alpha), but through help from others and a little extra help from the LTS coach, I have back crossovers, three turns, mohawks and a little waltz jump down (somewhat). I'm skating about five to six hours a week and may start doing individual lessons before too long. I really started the lessons on a fluke and didn't expect to catch the bug, but it seems I have it pretty bad. Skating has taken over my life in the best possible way.

After much discussion with some coaches and fellow skaters at my rink, I bought skates off ebay. I assume many of you wouldn't advise this, but I feel like I got an excellent deal on a caliber of skates I never would have bought otherwise. They are Risport Super Diamants with MK pro blades. They were barely used and fit remarkably well. I was using rentals and even as a novice, I can tell the difference. However, in both the rentals and my new skates (I've had them about a month) my arches kill. It starts as soon as I get on the ice and generally stays until the skates are off. I can ignore it most of the time, but have to break pretty often to give them a rest.

Does the hurt eventually go away? Do you just learn to skate through it? Do you think it's the skates or my feet- or maybe just because I'm new? I tried inserts in the rentals, but they were uncomfortable and didn't seem to do much. Are there exercises or stretches I should do? Thanks for any advice you can give.

p.s. I've been lurking on here for awhile and want to say thanks for all of the information and inspiration you have all already provided!

skate_star
10-08-2006, 01:45 PM
Do you have flat feet? My arches killed in my skates for abotu 2 years, and then I was finally told that I needed orthotics. My feet feel so much better now!!! It is very posible that you need orthotics, even if you don't have flat feet. Your arches shouldn't be hurting you as soon as you put your skates on.

airyfairy76
10-08-2006, 02:02 PM
I have reasonably high arches, but I was having the same problem. I tried some Scholl Gel Arch Supports but they just made things worse.

Finally, after reading about this issue a lot on these forums, I have found two things that are helping me.

Firstly, I have seriously loosened up the lacing over the top of my foot - just so the laces are laid across the top really, and then tight around my ankles. That made a huge difference straight away.

The other thing I have started doing is reverting to my 11 years of ballet training. I do an exercise all the time, standing on one foot and raising slowly up to the ball of the foot (releves), holding it and slowly lowering down again. I get lots of strange looks at work, standing at the bus stop, in shops . . . :lol: That is helping to strengthen my ankles and calves up and is also beginning to make a real difference. It really helps your balance too.

Lastly, I know if I am practicing something new, my toes tend to clench up in my boots - that doesn't help so make sure your feet are relaxed!

Hope this helps!

Amanda

crayonskater
10-08-2006, 02:05 PM
I find that my arches cramp if I have the laces drawn too tightly over my instep.

Sonic
10-08-2006, 03:17 PM
I'm with Airyfairy and Crayonskater in that I wouldn't be surprised if the problem is due to lacing your boots too tight over the top of your foot.

I wear orthotics in my boots (which are about 1 month old), and boy! if I lace them too tight over the feet do I know it! The arches scream in pain.

S xxx

edgygirl
10-08-2006, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the advice. I don't think my feet are flat- at least I've never noticed, but who knows. I'll probably start with loosening my laces and doing the exercises. I'll make an extra point to do them at work, it'll just add to my quirkiness and charm (they're already pretty sure I'm crazy). If they don't get better soon, I may look into orthotics. It might not be a bad idea since I'm wearing custom boots, that aren't custom made for me.

Where do you go to get orthotics? Is there someone who will just check your feet and boots? My friend just dropped a big dollar on custom boots and said she learned loads about boots and her feet, but I assume the rep only deals with his brand and people who are ordering customs. I've thought about making an appointment and posing as a buyer just to see what he says, but I'm afraid I'll get all caught up in the moment. I already own two skating dresses I don't need (it's like there's a little twelve year old girl running around with my credit card).

I'm off to the public skate- so I'll update you soon. Thanks!

techskater
10-08-2006, 04:18 PM
Any reputable fitter will deal in several brands of boots and can help you determine what you need in terms of boot changes. I am with the group that says you are tying them too tight across your instep. It should be tight, loose, tighter. If you are located in the Midwest, your best bet is John Harmata in Downer's Grove (he goes to a lot of competitions around the Midwest and is a FANTASTIC fitter and can tell you a lot of great things about your boots/feet).

Orthotics would generally be a podiatrist.

sue123
10-08-2006, 05:11 PM
I wear orthotics in my sneakers and skates. I can't tell you how much it has helped, although I have flat feet to begin with. I also had problems with my arches hurting after I took my boots off. Went to a podiatrist, and he told me I had tendonitis. I was fine when I was wearing my skates oddly enough, because apparently my skates kept my foot in the proper position.

Anyway, try the lacing, nad if that doesn't work, go for orthotics. You can get them at a podiatrist (make sure you tell him it's for skating boots), or you can ask at your rink or pro shop to see if they could recommend a place for you to go.

dbny
10-08-2006, 05:29 PM
If you find that your laces slip so you can't keep them loose in just one place, you probably have nylon laces. In that case you can replace them with cotton/nylon blend, and the adjustments will hold.

SuperFeet (http://superfeet.com/find-dealer/?PF=custom_black) makes custom orthotics with a special machine. There is at least one skating boot fitter who has been using them, and Don Klingbeil even said he is impressed enough to look into it. They cost $50 a pair.

edgygirl
10-08-2006, 07:12 PM
I loosened the laces and so far, so good. I had some pain initially (and a whopper cramp), but once I got going, it wasn't bad. I'll try a couple more sessions and some releves and see what happens.

Thanks all!

Paulie86
10-08-2006, 10:21 PM
I had the same problem too. I have high arches and they were killing me when I came back to skating this year. My coach recommended arch supports and when I tried them they killed me. Once I changed they way I laced up my boots, the pain went away. Just gotta make sure it's not too tight across the instep and tight everywhere else and it really helps.

SkatingOnClouds
10-09-2006, 02:59 AM
Actually I have heard and experienced that Risport are fairly high in the instep and best suit people with high arches (feel free to correct me here if you disagree, any Risport wearers). My daughter who has average arches had cramp after 2 laps of the rink.

Having said that, my feet will cramp every time if I try to lace my skates as tightly as I need them right from the start of the session. I start with them tight, but retighten them after a few minutes, and (annoyingly) have to tighten them again at least twice during the session, especially before I jump.

So starting with them a little looser over the foot and then tightening them up a bit later might help.

doubletoe
10-09-2006, 12:33 PM
Based on what you said about the "caliber" of boots you bought, you may be in boots that are too stiff for you. Arches will cramp if your boot is too stiff, and if you aren't doing double jumps and aggressive skating in boots that were made for that, you will probably never really break them in. Are they heat-moldable? (You can probably find out on the mfr's website) If so, heat molding should help. I also agree that the best way to lace boots is tight in the toes, looser in the instep/arch and tighter again in the ankle. But don't lace them all the way up if they are really stiff. You need to be able to bend deeply enough to get your knee over your toe.

Casey
10-09-2006, 05:07 PM
Arches will cramp if your boot is too stiff, and if you aren't doing double jumps and aggressive skating in boots that were made for that, you will probably never really break them in. Are they heat-moldable?
Eh, how is heat molding and boot stiffness going to impact the insole? It will certainly affect the ankle, but if the bottom of the skate is shaped to your foot, even the stiffest cement block of a boot isn't going to cramp your insoles. Insoles will get cramped if the bottom does not match the contours of your foot, and then you tie them tight which forces your foot to conform a bit.

doubletoe
10-09-2006, 05:14 PM
Eh, how is heat molding and boot stiffness going to impact the insole? It will certainly affect the ankle, but if the bottom of the skate is shaped to your foot, even the stiffest cement block of a boot isn't going to cramp your insoles. Insoles will get cramped if the bottom does not match the contours of your foot, and then you tie them tight which forces your foot to conform a bit.

Makes sense. I'm just speaking from personal experience. My arches cramp when my skates are new and too stiff, and they stop cramping once the boots are broken in.

Casey
10-09-2006, 05:39 PM
Makes sense. I'm just speaking from personal experience. My arches cramp when my skates are new and too stiff, and they stop cramping once the boots are broken in.
Hmm, well you have customs so that doesn't make sense to me! LOL.

In any case, for my old skates which were not customs, these made a BIG improvement:
http://www.yoursole.com/

Though it did take a few times skating to get comfy even after shaping to my feet. People have also said nice things about superfeet.

phoenix
10-09-2006, 05:54 PM

Custom skates still need to be broken in.

Casey
10-09-2006, 06:01 PM
Custom skates still need to be broken in.
Not the soles...the soles are not flexible nor cushioned. Both doubletoe and I have custom Klingbeils, and the sole is made based on a mold of your foot. There's nothing there but firm leather! The padded, flexible sides of the skate are another matter. :)

doubletoe
10-09-2006, 06:56 PM

In any case, for my old skates which were not customs, these made a BIG improvement:
http://www.yoursole.com/

Though it did take a few times skating to get comfy even after shaping to my feet. People have also said nice things about superfeet.

I actually wear stock boots, but they are fine once I've broken them in.
I'll check out the yoursole things, though. . .

doubletoe
10-09-2006, 07:04 PM
[QUOTE=Casey]Both doubletoe and I have custom Klingbeils[QUOTE]

More specifically, my boots are stock SP Teri's. ;)

Casey
10-09-2006, 07:12 PM
Both doubletoe and I have custom Klingbeils

More specifically, my boots are stock SP Teri's. ;)
Oh...darn...I must have gotten you confused with somebody else, maybe nova?? Sorry!!

phoenix
10-09-2006, 07:35 PM
And I too am in custom Klingbeils, just for the record. 8-) Second pair.

edgygirl
10-09-2006, 07:54 PM
I think you all hit it on the nose with the lacing advice. I loosened them up significantly and it seems to have helped a lot. I skated for about three hours today (the rink was almost empty, so I skated much longer than I had planned) and had minimal problems. I had also heard that Risport arches are high, so it makes sense. It was such a great day. Thanks!

crayonskater
10-09-2006, 08:42 PM
Casey, I think that when the boots are stiff and super-new, your ankle doesn't move quite as it should, changing the way your foot works (and leading to cramps), and while the bed doesn't change, the sides of the boots may.

After all, the sole of the boot doesn't change depending on how your lace it, either.

Casey
10-10-2006, 12:57 AM
After all, the sole of the boot doesn't change depending on how your lace it, either.
...but if you tie them tightly, you're forcing your foot to be more flat against whatever profile the insole has, whereas if they're looser, there is some allowance for variance.

But yeah, I can see how the limited range might affect things as you put it. :)

sk8_4fun
10-10-2006, 07:52 AM
Based on what you said about the "caliber" of boots you bought, you may be in boots that are too stiff for you. Arches will cramp if your boot is too stiff, and if you aren't doing double jumps and aggressive skating in boots that were made for that, you will probably never really break them in. Are they heat-moldable? (You can probably find out on the mfr's website) If so, heat molding should help. I also agree that the best way to lace boots is tight in the toes, looser in the instep/arch and tighter again in the ankle. But don't lace them all the way up if they are really stiff. You need to be able to bend deeply enough to get your knee over your toe.

Reading this is making me wonder if I this is MY problem. I have Gam boots, Ultra 095's in a D fit for my wide feet. I have heat moulded them as instructed, and I've skated about 22 hours in them so far and I've worn them a bit off-ice, and tried leaving the top hooks unlaced. I too am a relative beginner, having started in march this year. I expected to get cramps for a while but these boots are so stiff I can't seem to get the right 'balance' (please forgive the pun!) If I lace them comfortably they start to cramp after about 5 minutes on the ice. If I lace them any looser I don't feel like I'm secure on my edges. My coach sayes I'm fighting against my edges which I never did in my old boots, (Belati Classics which were like old slippers) and my knee bends are not as deep. I opted for stiffer boots as I am not the lightest of ladies and my old boots were broken in after a couple of months, but I'm starting to think that I've made a mistake buying the Gams. I'm getting frustrated as my skating is in reverse and its making me miserable! I've also tried sheep skin insoles but they didn't help much. Any advice would be wonderful before I take a mallet to these boots!!!!!:giveup:

Oh. and I have coronation Ace blades which do feel better than my old ones

flippet
10-10-2006, 02:38 PM
If I lace them comfortably they start to cramp after about 5 minutes on the ice. If I lace them any looser I don't feel like I'm secure on my edges.

You've got to just sort of let the laces 'lie there' over the instep/mid-section of your foot, then yank the hell out of them at the ankle bend. They've got to be very snug (without pain) up the ankle, as far as you need to still get good ankle bend. (For instance, I still don't lace the top hooks in my SPTeris.)

Other than that, though....maybe your boot still isn't *quite* wide enough? My SPTeris were stock boots, in an AA width, which was perfect for my narrow heels, but as time went on, I realized that it was just a smidge too narrow for the ball (just behind the ball, actually). I can skate comfortably for 20 minutes or so, but after that I start getting an ache in the outside edge of my foot. It's an area that's darn near impossible to punch out--I've tried. Next time, I'll get a split-width boot. :) Actually, if it were possible to get an AA heel, and an "A and a half" ball (rather than just an A), that would probably be perfect for my feet! :lol:

Sonic
10-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Hi Sk8_4fun

As you know I have the same skates as you (Gams with Coronation ace blades), and I think the problem may well be the lacing.

I've had come of the ice a couple of times with my arches crippling me, and discovered the way to go seems to be to lace loosely over the foot and tighter over the ankles. To stop the ankles rubbing wear some padding.

According to other people at my rink who have Gams, they do take a while to break in. Also, I think doubletoe is right in suggesting that these sort of boots are built to withstand a good pounding, so someone who's working on double jumps would break them in quicker.

Hang in there...they'll feel better soon.

S xxx

mintypoppet
10-10-2006, 05:15 PM
If it's any consolation, I've had my GAM 400s for six weeks, I skate every day, and my arches still cramp slightly when I'm warming up. After that though, they're incredibly comfortable. I had the same experience with the 95s before these, and it does stop eventually.

When I first got the boots, the cramps would subside after half an hour or so on the ice, so I found it helped to leave the top hook undone to start with, and then relace them all the way later on in the session. Also, as has been mentioned, don't lace them too tightly over the bridge of the foot - just remove the slack.