View Full Version : What stupid fall or Injury did you accumulate today

rf3ray
10-07-2006, 03:54 AM
Today I landed on my left knee cap 3 times, ouch it hurts!!!!. Is the recommended DEEP HEAT TREATMENT THE REMEDY also with a HOT PACK on it?

Skate@Delaware
10-07-2006, 07:28 AM
Yesterday I fell doing a plain vanilla scratch spin. I don't know what happened exactly...one minute I was sort of upright, the next I was sliding down on the ice. Have a nice bruise on my hip.

Then some little 5-year-old says "see Mommy-I don't want to fall!!!" because her mom was making her skate faster. So I had to get up and tell her I wasn't hurt. I wasn't, just surprised.

I couldn't even 2-foot spin. Maybe I'm coming down with something.

mikawendy
10-07-2006, 09:53 AM
Today I landed on my left knee cap 3 times, ouch it hurts!!!!. Is the recommended DEEP HEAT TREATMENT THE REMEDY also with a HOT PACK on it?

Usually for injuries like that, the recommendation is no heat or tub soaks for the first 72 hours; ice only, and NSAIDs if you can handle them. Heat will increase the inflammation, and the goal is to reduce the inflammation.

If you use ice, 15-20 minutes max at one time (longer is actually not therapeutic) and at least 1 hour break between times that you ice, and ice after exercise (not before). The blood supply to the knee is actually behind the leg (the "knee pit" for those of you who are former Ally McBeal fans;) ), so when I need to ice my knee, I usually try to use an ice pack that wraps around the knee (or plastic bags filled with ice). I usually try to ice at least 3 times a day when I have an injury like that.

After the first 72 hours, some people alternate moist heat with icing (again with breaks in between).

I hope your knee feels better soon. If you need to, go see a doc!

cecealias
10-07-2006, 08:47 PM
can i ask how ??? did you fall on your knee cap 3 times? What were you doing?

rf3ray
10-07-2006, 09:33 PM
TWICE ON footwork and one was a Spiral

DallasSkater
10-07-2006, 09:53 PM
rf3ray: So sorry about the knee battering! eeeek. I think the most painful fall I ever took was once to the knee. One time was all it took for me to be in knee pads as I am just now learning jumps. Hmmm, just thought that maybe it is more like a tie between the most painful being a hit on the knee cap or a bum fall on the tail bone! OUch!

Milkawendy: Good information to have! I am sure I will eventually need it again! eeek.

I did not actually fall at all today. Had a few close calls. I need to learn to let go as many on this board have suggested. I just can't! I try to save myself each and every time! I do believe what is said about being more tense and reflectively increasing the chances for more serious injury. Working on it! It feels like a primative response to automatically try to save it though.

SkatingOnClouds
10-08-2006, 02:22 AM
I am the queen of the rink at falling, my record is 7 in a 2 hour session.
I had actually gone a whole 2 sessions without falling, and was starting to think that if I just lay off trying that %^#&@#% flip I might be okay. Today in 1 hour I managed 3 falls.

The 3rd was doing R mohawk XO L mohawk XO. DuH! The first 2 I can't even remember what I was doing. I really only remember the 3rd because my knee did hurt a bit. I stay down on the ice and ice the sore part straight away. I believe it helps to get the instant ice on it.

Sonic
10-08-2006, 02:28 AM
I am the queen of the rink at falling, my record is 7 in a 2 hour session.
I had actually gone a whole 2 sessions without falling, and was starting to think that if I just lay off trying that %^#&@#% flip I might be okay. Today in 1 hour I managed 3 falls.

The 3rd was doing R mohawk XO L mohawk XO. DuH! The first 2 I can't even remember what I was doing. I really only remember the 3rd because my knee did hurt a bit. I stay down on the ice and ice the sore part straight away. I believe it helps to get the instant ice on it.

I can beat that. Last week was 7 times in a 1 hour hour session. The falls were on flips and loops - 2 on flips and 5 on loops.

Well, my goal at the moment is getting my elements consistent....I wonder if falling on them consistently counts lol!?:lol:

S xx

jazzpants
10-08-2006, 03:09 AM
I can beat that. Last week was 7 times in a 1 hour hour session. The falls were on flips and loops - 2 on flips and 5 on loops.

Well, my goal at the moment is getting my elements consistent....I wonder if falling on them consistently counts lol!?:lol: Or two footing the landing!!! :P :lol: :twisted: (Yes, I know, doubletoe!!! Back to the rink I go to work on my CLEAN landings...) :P

Clare
10-08-2006, 04:46 AM
I did not actually fall at all today. Had a few close calls. I need to learn to let go as many on this board have suggested. I just can't! I try to save myself each and every time! I do believe what is said about being more tense and reflectively increasing the chances for more serious injury. Working on it! It feels like a primative response to automatically try to save it though.

This is something I know I have to work on too. I'm sure I look like a flailing lunatic when I'm trying to save myself anyway so I may as well give in to the fear and just let myself fall!

A few of us were messing around the other night trying teapots/shoot the ducks and I was happy to fall doing those- not quite the same fear when you're falling from that low down anyway!!

Clare

rf3ray
10-08-2006, 04:51 AM
I am just so P!ssed of that I got this Injury, I had off ice training today with it. But didnt do any off ice jumps. Kinda a sucks tho.

It hurts just to bend it in one certain range (a very small range) but I can move it ok and walk on it ok, but running I sorta have to limp. What would you guys do take 3 days off for it to heal properly and dont skate?. I am just getting back to doing axels and flying camels? Its just so annoying that I have worked up to get this far to move two steps back ARGGH:giveup: :giveup: :giveup:

The plus side today was I did a perfect and low back sit to a fast back sitpin, cause my coach basically made me do all my spins on my good leg

jazzpants
10-08-2006, 11:22 AM
What would you guys do take 3 days off for it to heal properly and dont skate?.Essentially... YUP! (Except in my case it was a week to 3 weeks, depending on the bruise...)

Leda
10-08-2006, 01:51 PM
actually I wasn't on-ice when I injured myself. I was practicing my salchow in my room and fell on a toy castle (from when I was little) that I was supposed to put in the atic. hehe oops.:halo: now I have a nice bruise.

flo
10-09-2006, 09:53 AM
Hopped over a baby gate. A couple of the toes didn't make it. Last week I was going with the theory that they were not broken and would be fine in a week. Now, a week later it still hurts to walk.:roll:

doubletoe
10-09-2006, 12:42 PM
I am just so P!ssed of that I got this Injury, I had off ice training today with it. But didnt do any off ice jumps. Kinda a sucks tho.

It hurts just to bend it in one certain range (a very small range) but I can move it ok and walk on it ok, but running I sorta have to limp. What would you guys do take 3 days off for it to heal properly and dont skate?. I am just getting back to doing axels and flying camels? Its just so annoying that I have worked up to get this far to move two steps back ARGGH:giveup: :giveup: :giveup:

The plus side today was I did a perfect and low back sit to a fast back sitpin, cause my coach basically made me do all my spins on my good leg

When I bruise a knee badly, I still skate, but I wear a thick knee pad on that knee until the bruise is gone. Also, arnica is supposed to help bruises heal faster.

Rusty Blades
10-09-2006, 01:23 PM
Ok, it wasn't yesterday, or even last week - it was back in August - but it was the STOOPIDEST injury EVER!

I had just reached the point where I was somewhat comfortable on backward edges. It was toward the end of a two hour session and I was just relaxing and "playing around", doing back change-of-edges on my right foot when something in my right ankle popped - I both heard it and felt it! My ankle started to swell and it took me off the ice for a week.

I went back to skating and the ankle soreness started again in late September so I went to a physiotherapist and she diagnosed a "class 1 sprain" (the best kind - LOL!)

How in the @$#%$ @$#% can you SPRAIN an ankle in today's cast iron skating boots doing a nice, easy, relaxed backward COE?????!!!

Hannahclear
10-09-2006, 01:39 PM
Ok, so I was walking back down a little path from my backyard, where I had just deposited eggshells on the compost heap. My feet slid out from under me and I fell kind of hard. Cut my foot on some gravel. Was petrified for a moment that it was sprained or broken, but it's not.

I had visions of my skating year evaporating before my very eyes. :o

Skate@Delaware
10-09-2006, 02:54 PM
I went skating yesterday (ummm, on hockey skates :halo: ) and I fell down twice, the second time I whacked my chin so hard I saw stars and rattled my itty-bitty brain (I blacked out for a second or two).

Today I got to visit the ER because I was nauseated and dizzy....got a CAT scan. Diagnosis: labyrinthitis and head injury (no concussion). Doc said the nausea and dizziness was from fluid buildup in my inner ear and gave me medicine (started feeling better after an hour). So, yeah it was seven hours from start to finish but I'm glad I went because it was nothing really major. Hubby was worried tho. And I missed skating today, which would have been an empty session, but my head hurt soooooo much I would not have enjoyed it much (and I also miss dance tonight).

Ok, no more hockey skates without FULL GEAR!!!

mikawendy
10-09-2006, 07:39 PM
Today I got to visit the ER because I was nauseated and dizzy....got a CAT scan. Diagnosis: labyrinthitis and head injury (no concussion). Doc said the nausea and dizziness was from fluid buildup in my inner ear and gave me medicine (started feeling better after an hour). So, yeah it was seven hours from start to finish but I'm glad I went because it was nothing really major. Hubby was worried tho. And I missed skating today, which would have been an empty session, but my head hurt soooooo much I would not have enjoyed it much (and I also miss dance tonight).

Ok, no more hockey skates without FULL GEAR!!!

Good golly! I hope you're feeling better soon! Labyrinthitis is no fun! (Plus we need all of our "Ghouls" at the HC ;) )

Sk8pdx
10-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Skate@Delaware, Whew! Glad to hear that your head injury wasnt't as major as you thought. It sounds painful enough though. Ouch! I hope you recover quickly.

rf3ray
10-09-2006, 08:41 PM
So does Arnica Really work?? Hmm ok Cause I have been using DEEP HEAT and Voltaren on it and it doesnt do anything

When I bruise a knee badly, I still skate, but I wear a thick knee pad on that knee until the bruise is gone. Also, arnica is supposed to help bruises heal faster.

flo
10-10-2006, 09:44 AM
Wow - take care all! We're a study waiting to happen (and funding).

TimDavidSkate
10-10-2006, 10:20 AM
So does Arnica Really work?? Hmm ok Cause I have been using DEEP HEAT and Voltaren on it and it doesnt do anything

yes it does, it heals very well

sue123
10-10-2006, 10:22 AM
I'm trying to avoid getting injured just because I have no insurance now. I can't afford to get hurt. But I've had my fair share of stupid injuries.

crayonskater
10-10-2006, 03:16 PM
My knee is twinging. I have no idea why, but my right knee feels wobbly. Had to cut my morning session short as I couldn't stroke properly.

Don't remember doing anything to it, though.

Skate@Delaware
10-11-2006, 07:55 AM
Thanks, guys! I showed up at work and there were a few (somewhat rude, I thought) people looking for bruises/gashes, etc. Whatever.

Anyway, I can't take the medicine they gave me (Antivert) during the day-I get too sleepy; so I'm taking sudafed sinus for now.....I'll take it easy and take the antivert at night. Have to watch the timing of them so they don't cross. At least now I know why my spins were really wonky lately!!!

No way am I going to miss HC!!!!!

Rusty Blades
10-11-2006, 08:31 AM
:giveup: I'VE GOT ONE! I'VE GOT ONE! (***waving arms in the air***)

Doing LBO last night, don't know what happened, straight down hard enough to rattle my teeth and bite my tongue (a little, nothing serious). No damage (other than tongue), not even a bruise. I have absolutely no idea what happened! Back up and back to skating (looking at all the pretty stars up between the rafters :mrgreen: )

samba
10-11-2006, 10:36 AM
:giveup: I'VE GOT ONE! I'VE GOT ONE! (***waving arms in the air***)

Doing LBO last night, don't know what happened, straight down hard enough to rattle my teeth and bite my tongue (a little, nothing serious). No damage (other than tongue), not even a bruise. I have absolutely no idea what happened! Back up and back to skating (looking at all the pretty stars up between the rafters :mrgreen: )

Bet you are glad you dont have false teeth!!

Skate@Delaware Do take care, skating with head and ear problems, not a good idea.

skating_babe11
10-12-2006, 09:03 AM
Just last week I was going in to a flying camel and I have no idea how it happened or even why but i jumped into the air and I guess forgot to put other foot down. So i pretty much just did a belly flop on the ice! Suprizingly it didnt hurt to bad, but my chest was a little sore after!

itfigures
10-12-2006, 07:03 PM
He He :oops:
I broke/injured almost every part of my body while skating!
(luckly not my head yet!)
-I broke my wrist / wound up in a cast
-I broke my toe off ice training / couldn't skate for 2 months and had to wear an orthopidic shoe
-I landed on my knees so hard that if I were to wear shorts you would see the black and blues on my legs (I hurt them so bad that I had to go to the doctor for them because I couldn't straightin my legs. Now she wants me to wear knee pads!)
-I landed on my butt with my skate up my a** OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!
-Hurt my butt, hips, wrists, in just one session - advil is the best!

The funny thing is that I am not a bigginer skater I have been skating for a really long time now!:)

Rusty Blades
10-12-2006, 08:10 PM
With my right ankle sprain healing nicely and my last physiotherapy today, I decided to work on RFO3s Tuesday, for an hour, before my ankle started getting sore again. And physio today? It ain't over! :evil:

Skate@Delaware
10-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Well, I am feeling so much better today...it's amazing what some chiro, massage, meds, and caring concerned loving people can do to heal a person!!!!

My headache is virtually gone. The dizziness comes and goes as does the lightheadedness. As long as I take the antihistamines (antivert at night and regular stuff in the daytime) to dry it up, it should heal up soon.

Everything else is ok. Bruise is almost gone...:giveup:

DallasSkater
10-14-2006, 06:34 AM
Ok..this one happened last night...goes down as one of the "not my brightest moments".

I was taking my skates off while involved in a deep discussion about NOTHING! with a skater I had not seen in a while. I had one boot off and kicked back my still booted foot onto my barefoot. Not only do I have the slice on my foot from the blade but also a nice bruise that extends from the side of my instep to the actual instep. I had a two hour break from my skate practice to my class to give it ample coloring up time!

Weird, but it actually does not feel as bad in the boot as it does in my sneakers! eeeek...lol

flo
10-16-2006, 09:48 AM
Dallas - Ouch!!
My toes still hurt. I'm going to try and get them into a boot this week.