View Full Version : curious: what type of blades are these?

TaBalie
10-06-2006, 12:56 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Weiss_michael_SS.jpg

I actually was trying to figure it out while watching the Nationals and Olympics this year, but then forgot about it...

I stumbed across this picture and it reminded me -- what type of blades are these? They seem to curve up in the back?

NickiT
10-06-2006, 02:54 AM
They are John Watts Freevos and my former coach's husband helped design them.

http://www.johnwatts.force9.co.uk/freevo.htm

Nicki

jazzpants
10-06-2006, 03:14 AM

NickiOkay, call me clueless, but what's the difference between the Freevos and the Freedoms (http://www.johnwatts.force9.co.uk/freedom.htm) here besides the name, the size range and the price difference??? :?? (Which, BTW, is listed as what Michael Weiss has on his skates... eh, the Freedom blades is listed, that is...)

Award
10-06-2006, 03:54 AM
Probably just toe pick differences.

mtj4500
10-06-2006, 04:05 AM
Okay, call me clueless, but what's the difference between the Freevos and the Freedoms (http://www.johnwatts.force9.co.uk/freedom.htm) here besides the name, the size range and the price difference??? :??

I think it is just the toepick design - the Freedom uses the same toepick configuration as the Olympic blade whilst the Frevo uses the same configuration as the Evolution blade (and there is also a Freedom Dance using the same configuration as the Dance blade).
Most people I know with them like them well enough but, sadly, you may never get the chance to try them out as I believe John Watts ceased trading earlier this year :( .

Mike

kateskate
10-06-2006, 04:10 AM
I think it is just the toepick design - the Freedom uses the same toepick configuration as the Olympic blade whilst the Frevo uses the same configuration as the Evolution blade (and there is also a Freedom Dance using the same configuration as the Dance blade).
Most people I know with them like them well enough but, sadly, you may never get the chance to try them out as I believe John Watts ceased trading earlier this year :( .

Mike

I heard that too. I'm quite sad. I have Evolution blades and I love them. They are way better than I need but they were a gift! I'm wondering whether I should get another pair for when my current pair die. I don't know if anyone else does and equivalent to the Evolution.

Mrs Redboots
10-15-2006, 02:30 PM
Someone suggested to me the other day that John Watts may well have some old stock still lying around and if you contact them you might be able to get a bargain!

saras
10-16-2006, 08:11 AM
Someone suggested to me the other day that John Watts may well have some old stock still lying around and if you contact them you might be able to get a bargain!

I emailed the John Watts site directly, and they suggested I contact some retailers who may have some old stock lying around...ROFL.

As far as I know, retailers didn't keep a stash/stock of these blades -they ordered them from John Watts directly when they needed them. Since not many people asked for them - that way they could just order the size that was needed.

Sara

zerio
01-10-2007, 01:40 AM

Mike

Hi Mike

The website is still running smoothly..been thinking about Evolution...becasue Freedom or FREVO would need someone interested about new skatign style and I amnot interested about it.. wanted to make sure..the 8in rocker does not cause a negative impact...Ivethought a higher rocker would make spins easier etc..guess not...couldskate betteron coronation ace than gold star...

Any info highly apreciated..been locked in an island... you guys are source of info..THANKS...

Helllo My friend Casey!!

Being thinking about getting EvolutionTri R and CF500R Winers SRLboots. Italian magical boots...BTW, has anyone ever heard of KE&KE ice blades?
www.winnerskates.it

Thank youall
ZERIO

NickiT
01-10-2007, 02:49 AM
Hi Mike

The website is still running smoothly..been thinking about Evolution...becasue Freedom or FREVO would need someone interested about new skatign style and I amnot interested about it.. wanted to make sure..the 8in rocker does not cause a negative impact...Ivethought a higher rocker would make spins easier etc..guess not...couldskate betteron coronation ace than gold star...

Any info highly apreciated..been locked in an island... you guys are source of info..THANKS...

Helllo My friend Casey!!

Being thinking about getting EvolutionTri R and CF500R Winers SRLboots. Italian magical boots...BTW, has anyone ever heard of KE&KE ice blades?
www.winnerskates.it

Thank youall
ZERIO

As far as I know John Watts has definitely ceased trading. My coach was trying to get hold of a pair of blades from John Watts and she even went direct to my former coach's husband who set up the business in the first place but alas, the business has closed down and she ended up having to purchase blades by a different manufacturer. I'm surprised the web site is still up and running.

Nicki

zerio
01-10-2007, 04:19 AM
As far as I know John Watts has definitely ceased trading. My coach was trying to get hold of a pair of blades from John Watts and she even went direct to my former coach's husband who set up the business in the first place but alas, the business has closed down and she ended up having to purchase blades by a different manufacturer. I'm surprised the web site is still up and running.

Nicki

Actually they have bargain prices for coaches...and you can find 2 models onm special sale...one shop in US asks 2.5 Xmore...

If you email them, you get no response but the message doesnt bounce back either..I might have my friends to call them up or Ill use Skype..

I do not think its good to have a single manufacturer controlling the wholemarket...because tis is a fact..quality is not the issue here but competitive prices, different companies...marked up is very easy in this condition...poor mortals that have to sweat alot to get enough bucks toget them with NO sponsorship...btw, word in extinction througout:giveup: the skating...

How about Ke&Ke blades? ... from Italy. anyone know anything?. www.winnerskates.it (plscheck Italian version)?

Well... am leaving but VERY disappointed cannotbelieve that a tradicional blade is again out of business after 3 years they return to the market..something is goin on out there...

The expression " hard to sharp" for me is enough to discard some blades which are very expensive and where I live would have the blades ruined out the first time they are sharpened...guess Ill be back AceCoronation and retire my GoldStar because being back to skating I cannot skate with them anymore ...and the boots I use, reminds me a boot cast..they kill my feet and they have a too low heel that adding the extra 1/4inche in the back throws my body backwards..( notto metion the boots are brandnew and must be broken down still)...thou they look terrfic I cant keep them ...Bravo for CF500R. Winners SRl.. worn by the Italian dance skaters..Fabiana and Mauricio.( they actually wear 550R).. worth to give a try... I already have them mounted on my inline figure skates which BTW are very helpful to make things easier on ice and I would certainly tell you tolook them..they are indeeed a 30 year old traditional boots...light, quality, price and comfortable wearing..

All in all, Id like to hear if anyone else has been into inline figure skating as well as ice skating... they are indeed complementary..

Bye yall

Looking forward to hearing from you all.
Zerio

Skittl1321
01-10-2007, 07:02 AM
Does anyone else skate on those blades? Watching him do a spread eagle on his heels was pretty interesting, but very odd.

Are they for exhibition use only, or could someone use them in competition?

Isk8NYC
01-10-2007, 08:06 AM
My kids would love the "heelie blades", even though neither can do a spread eagle yet. (But, they're trying; we're ALL trying!)

I don't know if there are any restrictions on what type of blade you could use in competitions. Other than the tail, it's the same as a normal figure skate blade.

Mrs Redboots
01-10-2007, 12:43 PM
Are they for exhibition use only, or could someone use them in competition?Definitely in competition - last season, British Champion (we hope still will be by Saturday!) John Hamer wore them - this season he has, and loves, the ones you bolt on to their mount. Also British Solo Ice Dance Champion Jennifer Barnfield had them.

NoVa Sk8r
01-10-2007, 01:26 PM

NickiHee hee, that's one of my pair coaches who is featured doing some of the moves (at the bottom of the page). 8-)

zerio
01-10-2007, 04:29 PM
Hi List

I wonder if theres someone out there from UK who could check thecompanys out more closely for us.

Some of the models have been sold on the web.

IMHO I believe its sad to have a manufacturer with a background history to come back to business and few years later be forced to leave the business again.I dont think monopollium in any area is good for us...due to price as well as R&D.

This is the reason Ive been always looking for alternatives...Its not easy to start out and as time goes by the harder it gets...marketing strategies may be confused and it may get a disastrous result and to hurt the new companys image.

Its just too bad to have No alternative .. I would aprecciate if anyone from Europe would have something good to add about Watts blades such as "The Company is doing great etc". At the meantime, Idlike to hear if any of you have had any experience orknow anything about Winners Skates blades(Ke&Ke) , pls PM if you feel more confortable to prevent any problems because though all we want are good quailityand prices we can be easily misinterprated. They produce very good boots for my personal options and value.

Perhaps I should post a new thread about the issue to bring in this paragraph here, but I wonder how many of you are also inline skaters . Its clear that once you are inline and ice skater when you go back to ice you can almost FLY...:) so it would be a real nice and clever alternative to push limits a bit further.

I hear but have no real concrete source that some Eastern European ice skaters may have been skating on both to achieve better results..Id like to hear about it .

Thank you all.
Zerio

twokidsskatemom
01-10-2007, 05:26 PM
My kids would love the "heelie blades", even though neither can do a spread eagle yet. (But, they're trying; we're ALL trying!)

I don't know if there are any restrictions on what type of blade you could use in competitions. Other than the tail, it's the same as a normal figure skate blade.

They had them approved by the ISU several years ago. Michael used them for nat maybe in 2004?.. forget the year.
We have a pair we havent used yet, they are just a Olympic blade with a different end blade.

Skittl1321
01-10-2007, 06:09 PM
Are there any point values for the things that can be done on these blades? Is it just a throwaway move? Or counted in the footwork?

Mrs Redboots
01-11-2007, 03:54 AM
Hi List

I wonder if theres someone out there from UK who could check thecompanys out more closely for us. I'm afraid it has definitely ceased trading. But there is no longer a monopoly in blades - there are several new providers out there, including the lightweight Paramount (http://www.paramountskates.com/) blades and the ones that screw on to a fixed mount, whose name totally escapes me right now. The latter are used by current British champion John Hamer this season, and he likes them a lot. I know at least one girl who uses Paramount and loves them, but I'm told they're difficult to sharpen.

zerio
01-11-2007, 10:33 AM
I'm afraid it has definitely ceased trading. But there is no longer a monopoly in blades - there are several new providers out there, including the lightweight Paramount (http://www.paramountskates.com/) blades and the ones that screw on to a fixed mount, whose name totally escapes me right now. The latter are used by current British champion John Hamer this season, and he likes them a lot. I know at least one girl who uses Paramount and loves them, but I'm told they're difficult to sharpen.

UNFORTUNETELY I HAVE NO MORE DOUBT.:cry: :frus:

Watts is out of business for the phone number is not even connected anymore.

When I meant monopollium was because actually only one manufacturer is indeed the resposible for most of the demanding.

Yes there are Paramount and Ultima and Graf and Ke&ke( from Italy) -have just edited this message adding ISE( just found it) but for that I dont have any feedback yet...though I had read on the web good things about one of the blades aforementioned ( truly dont know which one of them was)... and in 2003 or 2004 review the blades were mentioned as revolutionary... but .cant recall..

Actually would be interested to represent a new blade manufacturer in my country...to try out new blades&techs.. However, any parabolic , concave blade is unthinkable because folks here do not know how to sharpen ... it would be a headache Well...maybe someone out there would like to PM me regarding it oen of those new manufacturers and agent abroad.

Thanks to all of you.

ZERIO

Skittl1321
01-11-2007, 10:54 AM
I'm confused by the notion of a monopoly on blades- I hear about different manufactorers all the time. Which company are you suggesting makes up most of the market? Sure there are only a few companies, but in such a niche market that isn't suprising.

Unless MK and Wilson are the same company- those are the two major ones I'm thinking of. I have Ultima Mirages, which is an entirely entry level blade, but works excellent for me and is wonders above the recreational blade I started on. A few skaters at our rink are on paramounts, and they seem to do really well on them. None of our skaters are elite, but the girls who use them are some of the best at our rink.

It's always sad to see a company go out of business, but I don't think there is a monopoly on blades.

zerio
01-11-2007, 11:25 AM
I'm confused by the notion of a monopoly on blades- I hear about different manufactorers all the time. Which company are you suggesting makes up most of the market? Sure there are only a few companies, but in such a niche market that isn't suprising.

Unless MK and Wilson are the same company- those are the two major ones I'm thinking of. I have Ultima Mirages, which is an entirely entry level blade, but works excellent for me and is wonders above the recreational blade I started on. A few skaters at our rink are on paramounts, and they seem to do really well on them. None of our skaters are elite, but the girls who use them are some of the best at our rink.

It's always sad to see a company go out of business, but I don't think there is a monopoly on blades.

MK & JW which are indeed one company only correspond to most of the demanding... which would be comparable to monopoly , in particular, when you have small market... though merits have not been considered..theyve surely got QUALITY. But...its a personal trace..I wanna try different things , new products ... still searching for new blade manufacturers... good to hear there are others...maybe a more agressive and assertative marketing could make shake the market a bit.

Ok...just adding 2 more blade manufacturers...JACKSON & GAM

If anyone else know any other manufacturer please share with us.

Thanks for the cooperation.

Casey
01-11-2007, 06:35 PM
Zerio: http://www.iceskateology.com/

zerio
01-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Zerio: http://www.iceskateology.com/

Casey.. YOU ARE THE BEST!!!

Hope to meet you ...when are you coming down ?? Let me know...:bow:

THANK YOU!!!

Keep in touch Take care...

BTW, Ive checked the webesite...unfortunetely the idea is good but it has some difficulties to implement it..so ...Ive been searching stilll...ISE,GRAF,ULTIMA are new choices...

Looking forward to hearing from other list pals

Thank you all.

NAMASTE

ZERIO

Mrs Redboots
01-12-2007, 10:32 AM
Unless MK and Wilson are the same company- those are the two major ones I'm thinking of.

I understand that John Wilson bought out Mitchell & King some years ago, although I think that the two brands are still marketed separately.

zerio
01-17-2007, 12:48 AM
Hi List

Has anyone skated on Ultima Freestyle , ISE Storm or Graf Diamond blades (the last one said to be used by Pluschenko) at
http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/figure_skating/105610/1

All of the blades are laser cut , light and apply new technology...again the cost is a matter... dont know where Graf is actually manufactured ( Can or Swiss)..the lenght ratium 8ft is higher than MK Gold Star and JW Coronation Ace..the only blades I have skated with..I wonder if it would help me to spin easier and skate more smoothly...

Au Revoir

ZERIO

Casey
01-17-2007, 01:42 AM
Has anyone skated on Ultima Freestyle , ISE Storm or Graf Diamond blades (the last one said to be used by Pluschenko)
LOL, seems that Paramount isn't the only one making false claims about Plushenko. He skates on Gold Seals, and unless it was for money, I seriously doubt he'd suddenly change his blades after all these years being used to them. Graf gave away lots of their boots and blades to about every famous skater under the sun a couple years ago to make wild claims about who's using their equipment, but that doesn't mean that they were ever used, or even if they were, that they were stuck with. Buy what you like, but no blade is going to make you a great skater. Only skating will do that. :) The right blades just help it feel a little different and perhaps as a result improve or hold back your learning a little, but determination, health, and training are far more important.

A good skater can manage with about anything. I've seen numerous double jumps performed on the crappiest quality rental skates that shouldn't even be used for single jumps... I've done loops on crappy rental inlines and hydroblades on REALLY crappy rental quad skates... :P

zerio
01-17-2007, 01:53 AM
Casey... Hi...

Pls read my previous postings... youve misinterpretated it all...and tried to judge me...just to remind you...we kept xchanging emails sometime ago..check on the right top of this message wehre I am from.. BTW, when I started skating u were not even on earth... so who cares about being a good skater? I really care about having fun and that includes to be able to do some old stuff I used to do which has not been possible due to problems with the small blade I have...have you forgotten I wante dto buy your old MKs???..aside that..I want to find new products..ONLY for Business purposes..as an agent..

Be a good boy :P , Enjoy the snow.We are PALS!!

Buy what you like, but no blade is going to make you a great skater. Only skating will do that. :) The right blades just help it feel a little different and perhaps as a result improve or hold back your learning a little, but determination, health, and training are far more important.

A good skater can manage with about anything. I've seen numerous double jumps performed on the crappiest quality rental skates that shouldn't even be used for single jumps... I've done loops on crappy rental inlines and hydroblades on REALLY crappy rental quad skates... :P

Casey
01-17-2007, 01:56 PM
Pls read my previous postings...
I have.

youve misinterpretated it all...and tried to judge me...
No I haven't, and I am not. I'm just making a point.

just to remind you...we kept xchanging emails sometime ago..
I don't think I've ever sent you an E-mail - I've answered your PM's once or twice, but so what?

check on the right top of this message wehre I am from..
I know where you're from. What does it matter?

BTW, when I started skating u were not even on earth...
So what? Does that somehow make you a better person?

so who cares about being a good skater?
Thing is, you have great blades now, a couple different kinds if I recall correctly, and you're blaming your skating quality on them. Maybe they do have something to do with it, but not everything. I was just saying that you should perhaps not waste a lot more money on thing you think will magically fix things, because there is no magic fix. Blades do make a difference, but it's not that much.

I really care about having fun and that includes to be able to do some old stuff I used to do which has not been possible due to problems with the small blade I have...
Last I heard, you were skating on gold stars and hated them. That's not a "small blade", and my point is that, buying /any/ blade isn't going to bring back elements you haven't done in many years - only a lot of persistance will.

have you forgotten I wante dto buy your old MKs???..
No, I have not. Nor have I forgotten that you live in a country that's nearly impossible to ship to without breaking laws or risking a lot of financial troubles, nor have I forgotten that you changed your mind on them anyways. What does any of that matter?

Be a good boy :P , Enjoy the snow.We are PALS!!
Sending some messages does not make us pals, so keep your patronizing comments to yourself, thanks. I was just trying to help.:giveup: