View Full Version : Paraboloic?

AndreaUK
10-05-2006, 06:00 AM
Hiya

Can anyone explain to me what parabolic means? I see some types of blades are Parallel and some are parabolic and I have no idea what is the difference
Many thanks in advance

Andrea xx

Award
10-05-2006, 06:20 AM
I think it just means, if you look directly underneath the blade, edges of normal blades are parallel like this:

||

while parabolic blades have a curved shape like this:

)(

That is, thicker steel on the end parts of your blade (ie toe and heel part of the blade is thickest), while gradually narrowing down to a narrowest part somewhere toward the middle section of the blade. Maybe it holds an edge better than just completely straight edge when skating around in circles. The shape of the curvature that the steel curves around is parabolic in shape.

Award
10-05-2006, 06:28 AM
Also might make stroking a bit more efficient too (but I'm only guessing at this one).

dbny
10-05-2006, 08:10 AM
The idea comes from skiing technology, but skis are long and it makes a big difference on them. It's not certain that it works well with skates, and it definitely makes sharpening harder.

Isk8NYC
10-05-2006, 08:48 AM
When I asked at a trade show about this, the sales reps emphasized the lightness of the blades as a major advantage.

I still say it's just a way for the manufacturers to save some money on raw materials. :twisted:

doubletoe
10-05-2006, 11:57 AM
It's debatable whether the slight tapering in the middle makes enough of a difference on a figure skating blade. Still, some people I've asked say it helps their edges, spin entrances and edge jump takeoffs.

techskater
10-05-2006, 03:08 PM
Parabolics are to improve your spins, edges, and turns. I am proof positive, they work!

Sk8pdx
10-06-2006, 12:42 AM
Parabolics are to improve your spins, edges, and turns. I am proof positive, they work!

Me too! I noticed a difference in spins when I went from regular Coronation Aces to parabolics.

DallasSkater
10-07-2006, 08:13 AM
hmmm, is it harder to find someone to sharpen the parabolic blades correctly? Worried as even our pro shop is mostly Hockey. There is one trusted guy for figure skates. Two of the coaches do blades but I think they take the skates home or something.

I will consider the parabolics as I saw the Mk professional has this as an option.

Casey
10-09-2006, 03:51 AM
hmmm, is it harder to find someone to sharpen the parabolic blades correctly? Worried as even our pro shop is mostly Hockey. There is one trusted guy for figure skates. Two of the coaches do blades but I think they take the skates home or something.

I will consider the parabolics as I saw the Mk professional has this as an option.
Yes, they are harder to sharpen. Not only do they need to be mounted more carefully so that the full length of the center of the blade is aligned with the center of the grinding wheel, but slightly less pressure should be applied in the center where the blade is the thinnest.

But it really doesn't matter if you have parabolic, tapered, or plain old parallel-edged blades...find a good sharpener and stick with them. Mine is 3 hours away but nobody else is going to touch my skates. Consistancy is most important though - remember that skate sharpening is an art, not a science, and every sharpener will have somewhat different opinions and techniques as to how the blade should be sharpened. Changing between sharpeners will wear your blade down a lot faster than always going to the same one.