View Full Version : Finger blisters

sue123
10-04-2006, 08:36 PM
Does anyone else get blisters when they lace up their skates? I don't know if it's my laces, or if the skin on my fingers is just thin, but it really hurts because it's right on the part where teh joint is, which makes bending my fingers painful. And taking a shower is not a pleasant experience because when it bursts, ouch. Is there anything I can do to avoid this? A different type of laces maybe? Honestly, I don't remember what type of laces I'm using, they came with my skates.

Award
10-04-2006, 08:42 PM
Yep....I do. On my pinky finger. On the side of the last join closest to the tip of the pinky. The lace rubs. Not that nice at all, and sometimes the skin cracks there, obviously not a good thing. Because I isolate it to just that part there, I stick a band-aid around that joint. No more problems after that. Except the band-aid costs a little bit. But well worth it. Same idea applies to blisters from skates rubbing. Band-aids to put a shield between us and whatever is causing the damage. Using a lace tightener device so that we don't have to pull the laces as much helps a bit too.

Debbie S
10-04-2006, 08:44 PM
I'm willing to bet you have nylon laces. They are thinner than the cotton ones (or the cotton/nylon blend) and can definitely cause what you are describing. I had nylon laces on my previous skates, and the blended ones on my current skates, and I always put on my gloves when I lace up. I take the gloves off to tie the laces at the top and tuck the loose ends in, but that's it.

I wouldn't recommend changing the type of laces b/c whatever laces you have are geared to the size of the holes on your skates. Cotton laces are thicker than nylon, so if you try using those, chances are the laces won't fit.

dbny
10-04-2006, 09:17 PM
I wouldn't recommend changing the type of laces b/c whatever laces you have are geared to the size of the holes on your skates. Cotton laces are thicker than nylon, so if you try using those, chances are the laces won't fit.

I've never heard of that. Klingbeils used to come with your choice, but now they only stock nylon. That has not prevented me from using cotton blend, and I know many others who wear different brands of boot who have also switched.

I have the problem on my pinkies in the winter when I skate every day, outdoors most days. The best I can do is protect my pinkies before it starts with bandaids, mole skin or some such.

NoVa Sk8r
10-04-2006, 09:44 PM
I thought the only choices were nylon or nylon/cotton blend. Regardless, you can always switch out the laces (just might take a little elbow grease, but if you've been wearing the boots for a while, chances are the eyelets have opened up). Why they even put in those finger slicing, slippery nylon laces, I will never know!

Thin-Ice
10-05-2006, 03:11 AM
I thought the only choices were nylon or nylon/cotton blend. Regardless, you can always switch out the laces (just might take a little elbow grease, but if you've been wearing the boots for a while, chances are the eyelets have opened up). Why they even put in those finger slicing, slippery nylon laces, I will never know!

Because, believe it or not, some of us actually LIKE them!:) And, I look at the calluses on the outside of my little fingers as part of my "skater scars" -- which I think of as being medals of athleticism. (OK, OK, so my little fingers aren't actually athletic themselves....)

ouijaouija
10-05-2006, 03:33 AM
yeh i got blisters on my pinky joint, and my index finger

SkatingOnClouds
10-05-2006, 03:42 AM
I recently had to switch from a nylon lace to cotton ones. My pinky doesn't get cut anymore, but other than that I have found no real difference in their behaviour.

I have callouses on both pinkies, both index fingers and both 2nd fingers from constant lace tightening, pulling them up as hard as they will go, several times a session.

I think I probably allow the lace to slip slightly through my fingers as I lace and tighten around the hooks, which accounts for my having 3 fingers affected on each hand. :roll: Ah, yet another skating-related technique that needs revising.

mintypoppet
10-05-2006, 04:51 AM
I have callouses on both pinkies, both index fingers and both 2nd fingers from constant lace tightening

Yep, same here. I find colloidal blister plasters to be the best to heal up and protect my cracked pinkies.

In the lab, we had something we called 'rubber fingers', for lifting hot glassware. It was about 3cm of rubber water tubing that had been sliced down the length and could be wrapped around a finger. Something similar would be great for tightening laces, but it would need to be a material without too much grip (rubber) or too little (teflon). Any suggestions?

airyfairy76
10-05-2006, 05:21 AM
I have noticed this well, and I have only been skating for about a month now.

I am getting callouses on my finger, rather than blisters. I think this is preferable - I just hope they don't turn to blisters later on!

doubletoe
10-05-2006, 12:01 PM
Strange, I don't have this problem at all. It might be that I use cotton-nylon blend laces (although so do a lot of other people) or it might be that I lace my boots up quite methodically, one notch at a time, without letting the laces slip across my fingers?

Kristin
10-05-2006, 02:40 PM
Cotton laces are thicker than nylon, so if you try using those, chances are the laces won't fit.

Not true. I have cotton (or they may be a cotton/poly blend) laces on my Jacksons & they are the thin ones made for figure skates. They are available & much kinder to your hands than nylon.

Kristin

Isk8NYC
10-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Why they even put in those finger slicing, slippery nylon laces, I will never know!Don Klingbeil had mentioned that they couldn't find a supplier for cotton or cotton/poly, especially in beige. The all-nylon is probably less expensive and doesn't stretch the eyelets as much. (If they're lacing the skates, it's easier and faster than the cotton.)

I remember in 2003, I was working in four different rinks. On Wednesdays, I tied MY OWN skates four times, my kids' four times and who knows how many of my students'. DH made fun of me when I had to use vaseline-and-white-socks at night.

I buy white cotton laces and dye them beige with tea, coffee, and blue dye. The cuts and callouses on my pinkies are miserable with the all-nylon laces.

sue123
10-05-2006, 04:16 PM
So if I get cotton blend laces, will that cut down on the blistering? Because if it still has nylon, won't it be the same problem? I got the Rainbo catolog in the mail today, and looking through it, I saw only nylon or cotton/nylon. I've tried lacing them with bandaids on my fingers, but it just cuts right through the bandaid, or it pushes the bandaid out of the way, thereby rendering the bandaids useless. I haven't tried lacing with gloves on though. Do you use just the regular gloves that you skate in? Like those stretchy ones you get at a dollar store? Cause I have a million and one of those pairs, or do you mean those medical exam gloves? I have those too for when I cook because of the blisters, and some other skin problems caused by an acid burn. Damn that concentrated sulfuric acid.

Anyways, I guess I'm going to have to pull out my laces and measure them to figure out how long I need. I need to wash them anyway, because I noticed little flecks of dried blood from when it cut through my fingers. Not fun, although nice to know I'm not alone.

mintypoppet
10-05-2006, 04:58 PM
So if I get cotton blend laces, will that cut down on the blistering?

FWIW, I use cotton (presumably cotton blend?) laces and still get callouses. They don't cut into my fingers, but the friction rubs at the skin - like a mini form of rope burn :lol:

renatele
10-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Why they even put in those finger slicing, slippery nylon laces, I will never know!

My skate guy says that nylon laces come with new boots so that the boots break in better - or more uniformly, rather. Since nylon laces slip and slide easily, there is no big high-tension or low-tension areas on the boot. He says that after 20-30 hours of skating those should (well... not should - if you like nylon laces, you can keep them) be changed out to the cotton blend ones as those also allow more custom lacing (you know, some like toes lose, arch/ankle tight, some like reverse ;) ) by not slipping around so much.

kiwibabe
10-05-2006, 06:38 PM
Yes I have them to but now they have built up into calluses. My coach says I tighten my boots out of habit and not really because I need to.

NoVa Sk8r
10-05-2006, 06:44 PM
My skate guy says that nylon laces come with new boots so that the boots break in better - or more uniformly, rather. Since nylon laces slip and slide easily, there is no big high-tension or low-tension areas on the boot. He says that after 20-30 hours of skating those should (well... not should - if you like nylon laces, you can keep them) be changed out to the cotton blend ones as those also allow more custom lacing (you know, some like toes lose, arch/ankle tight, some like reverse ;) ) by not slipping around so much.Oh, cool; thanks for sharing. I had not heard of this before. 8-)
I'm also cursed with the fact that I need 125" laces because of my big stomping boot (size 14) ... that was just more eyelets and crossed laces to blister through!

doubletoe
10-05-2006, 06:48 PM
My skate guy says that nylon laces come with new boots so that the boots break in better - or more uniformly, rather. Since nylon laces slip and slide easily, there is no big high-tension or low-tension areas on the boot. He says that after 20-30 hours of skating those should (well... not should - if you like nylon laces, you can keep them) be changed out to the cotton blend ones as those also allow more custom lacing (you know, some like toes lose, arch/ankle tight, some like reverse ;) ) by not slipping around so much.

Wow, that's great information! That must be one reason I like cotton-nylon blend laces so much; I tie tight in the toes, looser in the arch and tighter again in the ankle. . .

renatele
10-05-2006, 09:57 PM
I'm also cursed with the fact that I need 125" laces because of my big stomping boot (size 14) ... that was just more eyelets and crossed laces to blister through!

14?! Wow, I'll not complain about my (street) ladies 10, then! LOL.

mikawendy
10-05-2006, 10:19 PM
So if I get cotton blend laces, will that cut down on the blistering? Because if it still has nylon, won't it be the same problem? I got the Rainbo catolog in the mail today, and looking through it, I saw only nylon or cotton/nylon. I've tried lacing them with bandaids on my fingers, but it just cuts right through the bandaid, or it pushes the bandaid out of the way, thereby rendering the bandaids useless. I haven't tried lacing with gloves on though. Do you use just the regular gloves that you skate in?

Once your fingers are healed, could you wrap medical tape around your pinkies before lacing? That might provide enough barrier, plus the tape wouldn't slip the way bandaids would (since bandaids have a part that is designed to not stick). I'd only do this once your blisters are healed and there's a good solid layer of skin. Dancers sometimes do this with their toes to reduce the chance of blisters from rubbing inside of pointe shoes.

NoVa Sk8r
10-05-2006, 10:23 PM
14?! Wow, I'll not complain about my (street) ladies 10, then! LOL.And I have 12 1/2" blades, the largest size they make in Pattern 99s. Phew--just made it.

My singles coach told me that figures and changing edges in spins are going to be especially hard with my boot size. But that's better than what an ex-coach at my rink told me: She said I looked like the letter "L" when I skated because my feet stick out so much! :P

Debbie S
10-05-2006, 10:28 PM
Do you use just the regular gloves that you skate in? Like those stretchy ones you get at a dollar store? Actually, the gloves I wear to skate are from a ski shop, made by Marmot, which makes ski things. I like them b/c they have fleece on the inside and are very soft, and warm. They are a bit thicker (but not big, puffy things that some skiers wear) than the standard stretchy gloves sold by Rainbo and in rink pro shops. I've had the gloves for 5 years and they are starting to show some wear and tear, literally, but I've checked everywhere and the company doesn't seem to make them anymore. The non-puffy ski gloves I've seen all have rubber lines on the palms and fingers - I guess for gripping the ski poles. I'm still searching for something similar to what I have, b/c they are such good quality and have held up well. In the meantime, I'll just wear my current gloves until they fall apart. :)

I have cotton/nylon blend (at least, that's what I was told) laces on my Klingbeils. The laces on my SP-Teris were nylon (a bit thinner than the Klingbeil laces), and they were the reason I started wearing gloves to lace up. I still find the cotton blend laces to be a bit harsh, so I'm still wearing the gloves. My Gam skates had cotton laces, and I don't think I had major problems with those, although I think they made my fingers a bit red.

SkatingOnClouds
10-06-2006, 03:46 AM
Do you use just the regular gloves that you skate in? Like those stretchy ones you get at a dollar store?

I wear cycling gloves because I prefer fingerless gloves. These have lycra backs, do up with velcro tabs. The palms are made of a "synthetic suede" and there are gel pads on the parts you are likely to have on a bike handle - or fall on as a skater.

Even when I did wear full finger gloves I always took them off to do my laces. I much prefer the fingerless gloves.

Have to admit though, my gloves do look kinda biker butch rather than girly. But then I'm not a girly sort of girl I guess.

Skate@Delaware
10-06-2006, 10:20 AM
I have more of a callus than a blister...I have to lace hockey skates (my son's) as well as figure skates (mine and some of the little girl's) but my pinkies do tend to get a bit raw at the beginning of the season.

My son's skates have unwaxed cotton laces, mine are cotton/nylon blend.

Casey
10-06-2006, 12:46 PM
I prefer cotton laces but always tied my skates really tight so I had callouses on my fingers. Well then I went and got my new skates a while ago, and they had nylon blend laces, and I looked down and realized that I had severely cut into a couple of my fingers just tying the skates the way I usually do.

Pffft.

I still have those laces because the fitter gave me an extra set (already cut through the first.. :halo: ) but when I replace them cotton it will be.

I did buy a lace puller thingy but it's a hassle to use, and now that I have a broken finger it's darn near impossible to use anyways.

What I've been doing that works pretty well is just putting my gloves on before tying my skates up.

Casey
10-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Also, everyone's mileage may vary, but I absolutely abhor nylon-only laces.

I love cotton-only laces except the black ones won't stay quite as black as the blended ones (same as a cotton shirt, etc.) Strongly prefer them over anything else.

The blended ones look nicest, are thicker and less annoying than nylon-only, and hold up well, but they just don't feel as nice to me as cotton-only, and certainly damage the hands more if you're not careful.

And for whatever it's worth, I tie my skates REALLY tight. My fitter even said that she thinks I tie them tighter than anybody else she's seen, and she's fitted skates for a number of high-level skaters, including Sasha Cohen (you may have a better spiral, Sasha, but I have tighter skates! :P (yes, I am drawing my own conclusions here!)). I find that the nylon blend laces are more prone to causing my feet to cramp if I tie them the way I really like, so I have to relax a little bit when using them...

IMHO, another win for natural materials! (yeah, I know not everybody will think the same, and that's okay :) )

Casey
10-06-2006, 01:02 PM
I've never heard of that. Klingbeils used to come with your choice, but now they only stock nylon. That has not prevented me from using cotton blend, and I know many others who wear different brands of boot who have also switched.
The first thing my fitter does with all the Klingbeils she receives is to replace the laces with cotton-nylon blend ones. But she did have to stick something in the holes and wiggle it around to stretch them just slightly to make that easier to manage. I imagine that on skates you've already been wearing, the holes are stretched plenty well enough just from usage. It doesn't take much...