View Full Version : Question about blade selection

newskaker5
10-04-2006, 12:01 AM
When I began taking group lessons I purchased Reidell Gold Medialion 300 skates that came standard with a Wilson Excel blade (this blade - http://www.skatebuys.com/wiexfiskbl.html)

Now I am at the level of ISI 1/2 and was wondering if I should upgrade. I was reading another thread about blades and how the rocker can interfer with spins (if the blades are rather flat). I just learned my scatch spin and its OK, but Im having a hard time with balancing on the blade (of course this is way more me than the blade).

I have no idea what the rocker is on these blades since it just came with the skates. Does anyone know if this is a "flat" blade. Should I stick with it or should I upgrade? And if not now, when is the right time to upgrade?
Thanks!

enakn
10-04-2006, 02:38 AM
Wilson Excel is same rocker - 7' as Coronation Aces I believe so it isn't a particularly flat blade. You might find some of the better blades have more prominent toe-picks which scare initially (more falls, better jumps :) )
although you do get used to them.

newskaker5
10-04-2006, 07:19 AM
Thanks! I couldnt find anywhere where it said the size of the rocker. So I guess the spin problem is just me! oh well - I'll just keep workin on it haha. Thanks!

Skate@Delaware
10-04-2006, 10:06 AM
I did a google search and this is what I came up with.....

http://www.usaskates.com/figureskateblades/jwexcelskateblade.html
John Wilson Excel Figure Skate Blades

A quality all purpose club skater’s blade with profile edge hardening for long life performance and speed.
Usage Guidelines
Rocker: 7'
Radius of Hollow: 1"
Size Range: 7-12.5"
Toe Rake Design: Cross Cut
Blade Type: ParallelSo, the rocker is the same as with a Coronation Ace. Not sure what the deal is with the hollow, I'm sure you will have that re-sharpened to a more sensible 1/2" or so...

Yes, work on your spin technique (as well you should-technique is always something that should be worked on).

Isk8NYC
10-04-2006, 10:50 AM
When was the last time you had your skates sharpened?

Most pro shops use a "recreational sharpening" for beginners, which has a flatter profile. The Excel's profile is pretty flat - my twins have the same blades.

If you're due for a sharpening, ask for a "competitive sharpening" which increases the radius and hollow. It will shorten the life of the blade a bit since they have to take off more material in the heel of the blade.

Don't ask me what the settings are in terms of radius or hollow. I carry a business card from the pro shop with my hollow written on it, because I forget every time.

Casey has a great sticky on blade sharpening under "On Ice-Skaters"

I wouldn't expect you to need a better blade until you've finished ISI Freestyle 2. FS 3 has the first full rev jumps and the change foot spin.