View Full Version : Decisions, Decisions

crayonskater
10-03-2006, 05:12 PM
This is mostly a rant/whine/complain.

I'm beginning to lose patience with skating and myself, and I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it. I've been skating three years (caveat: season for me is October-March missing a month in the middle), and while I don't skate tentatively, I don't think I've gained a single interesting skill. Still can't do basic 3 turns, still can't jump, can get about four revolutions on a spin sort of. I have decent edges.

Can't figure it out. I'm in shape. I can generate a lot of power. But even with coaching, I don't seem to improve. Mostly I just want to be able to have good moves. I'm not asking for a sit spin or an axel.

And I'm really debating whether I want to bother with lessons this year. Seems the one-lesson-per-week is just a wasted expense if all I'm going to do is continue to make my basic edges a glacial amount better than they were before. I have fun skating, but it's an expensive sport and I could use the money for other fun sports.

Anyone else had thoughts like this?

Debbie S
10-03-2006, 05:24 PM
I've had my share of frustrating moments in skating. We all go through plateaus where it seems like we're not progressing. The more advanced you get, the longer it takes to master a skill.

If you only skate 4 months a year (Oct-March is 5 months and you said you take a month off in that span), then your progress will be a lot slower than someone who skates 12 months a year. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't skate, but you need to be realistic about the rate at which you will improve.

If learning a certain skill is your goal, and you're not achieving that with your current schedule, then you should probably increase your skating time. If that's not possible, then you should adjust your expectations and appreciate the progress you are making.

flippet
10-03-2006, 05:31 PM
Wow. Sounds like you could use some fresh coaching.

How often do you practice? The only way I can see that you wouldn't have even rudimentary 3-turns after three seasons of 5 months each is if the only time you skate is during your lesson, AND you're terrified to push yourself past your comfort zone.

Does that sound like you?

If so, you need to do two things.

1. Fall. Fall a LOT. Fall until it doesn't scare you any more.
2. Find a coach who will push you to attack skills with gusto. Preferably one who understands adult skaters, and knows how to a) explain skills, breaking them down if necessary (it usually is for adults), and b) push a reluctant adult to do things that scare them, step by step.

Everyone can get the basic skills. Everyone. If you can skate at all, you can get a 3-turn. And you can even learn to jump.

I wish I could skate with you--I love trying to help adults with the basics.

dbny
10-03-2006, 05:38 PM
ITA with flippet, and I also wish we could skate together. I often feel the way you do, crayonskater, but I'm not ready to give up. Instead, I need to rededicate myself, and find the right coach. One of my problems has been the loss of my coach more than a year ago, and I really do need weekly lessons to keep me focused.

Not knowing anything about your coach, I would not say that she or he isn't good or even isn't right for you, but rather you might just need a different approach. If your coach doesn't mind, you could even just have an additional lesson or two from another coach who you think may be able to help you get past those 3's.

cecealias
10-03-2006, 06:51 PM
Crayon, be reassured that practically every skater no matter how long they've been skating ... also goes through frustrating periods! You're not alone on this one - and I totally feel you. I've had moments of "Why am I bothering, this is never gonna work, I don't have the time... its never gonna work... " It's a hard sport, and even harder when you're strapped for time/money. I know because i travel several times a year and basically whenever i come back sometimes i feel like i'm starting all over at square one. But it doesn't have to be that way. I agree with flippet on finding a coach that inspires you and puts a different perspective on skating. A good coach can squeeze a lot out of a little bit of time!

To add to flippet's suggestions.. consider asking a coach to teach you "how to fall". I know that might sound silly, but really there is a technique to falling and how not to hurt yourself from a fall. One coach once remarked to me that I am an incredibly graceful faller for an adult and make really quick recoveries... believe me that's from years of falling and not being afraid of it. 90% of the time it doesn't hurt because i've learned to let go the right way.

We know you've got passion for the sport and we'd hate to lose someone like you to something else! (well me in particular cause you're on my sig!! LOL :lol:)

You've got all of us pulling for you!

crayonskater
10-03-2006, 07:28 PM
I have forward outside threes at low speeds. I've been shown inside threes once and they're really unstable. I mean, I can't do all my basic edges perfectly, but I have pretty good control on FO, FI, and BO. BI I either nail or wobble. I can sort of do a waltz-8 (though it's reverted to potato-shaped after the summer off.)

Do I have to have these perfect before I learn anything else? My crossovers aren't like dancers', but they're not beginner-clunky.

I think I just need more to do, and I'm not sure how to ask my coach. I know I'm not any good yet, but I think I could learn something that let me move a little bit more on the ice because basic edges are really dull after 20 minutes. I don't really feel tentative, and I skate about four days a week, 1.5 hours a day. I'm only 27, and I've been taking lessons since the spring of 2005.

doubletoe
10-03-2006, 07:30 PM
Everyone makes very good points. Here are some thoughts for you:

1) How many hours a week do you skate? Could you add a few more?

2) Would you be willing to take a few trial lessons with a different coach to see if someone else's teaching style might be more effective for you?

3) Do you measure your 3 years in actual years or skating years? If you only skate 4 months per year, then 3 years is really just 1 skating year and 1 year is not very long. Not to mention you have to catch up every time you come back onto the ice after that 8-month hiatus!

Ultimately, you cannot compare your skating to anyone's but your own, so just ask yourself how well you expect to be skating in 3 years if you keep at it versus how well you'll be skating 3 years from now if you quit.

slusher
10-03-2006, 07:44 PM
I could teach you five ice dances that you could do without having to turn backwards in anyway shape or form. If you can do a mohawk I can teach you two more. Maybe even more than that, I do take notes when Mrs.Redboots talks about the UK dances, ie Novice Foxtrot. Sure they're only edges, but it's DANCING!

We could also do some stroking exercises, there's one I do that is simple forward edges, try to do four large lobes down the side of the rink, it's harder than you think. Try two! like my dance coach. Then we could try it backwards.

A bit of fun with bunny hops and toe hoppy things, bubbles (lemons) two foot turns, drags and spirals or attitudes, play with creative movement and music. Jumping isn't everything, I didn't do a waltz jump until I was working on Swing Dance.

All while using mostly forward edges and a stop or two. I'm all about fun. I only skate six months of the year too.

(or, in other words, time for a new coach)

phoenix
10-03-2006, 07:45 PM
You might enjoy some ice dance lessons--take the solid edges you have & turn them into something fun!

ETA--Slusher & I had the same thought at the same time!

flippet
10-03-2006, 08:35 PM
I have forward outside threes at low speeds. I've been shown inside threes once and they're really unstable. I mean, I can't do all my basic edges perfectly, but I have pretty good control on FO, FI, and BO. BI I either nail or wobble. I can sort of do a waltz-8 (though it's reverted to potato-shaped after the summer off.)

Do I have to have these perfect before I learn anything else? My crossovers aren't like dancers', but they're not beginner-clunky.

I think I just need more to do, and I'm not sure how to ask my coach. I know I'm not any good yet, but I think I could learn something that let me move a little bit more on the ice because basic edges are really dull after 20 minutes. I don't really feel tentative, and I skate about four days a week, 1.5 hours a day. I'm only 27, and I've been taking lessons since the spring of 2005.

Oh honey, your coach is keeping you stuck on edges?? Definitely time for a new coach.

It all depends on your goals. If you intend to compete--and intend to win (there's a difference)--then yeah, I'd say you need to have your edges pretty polished. But not before getting to move on to anything else!

If you're just in it for a bit of fun (and it sounds like you'd almost have to be, if it's a seasonal rink), then there's no excuse keeping you back from trying anything else. This is how rinks and coaches lose students, and they're left scratching their heads as to why. Will you do better jumps and/or dances if your edges are better? Of course. But that's no reason to never even start on the 'fun' stuff. Plus, as you try new things, it gives you more places and reasons to use things like those pesky inside three turns, and you'll find that first, you'll practice them more, and second, a different way of using them may help them 'click', and they'll be easier than they were before.

The only, only way I'd keep someone back from at least trying something new is if they're very unstable to begin with, and I'm literally afraid they'll kill themselves trying. (i.e., someone who can't do a one-foot glide attempting an axel.) This does not sound like you.

Ask your coach to please, please teach you some 'fun' stuff along with the basics (because you'll never stop working on those)...and if she's not terribly responsive, let her know that she's making skaing not-so-much-fun for you, and that's NOT what it should be like. And you'll be looking for a new coach.

Good luck....and hey, at this point, if you see someone on the ice with more advanced skills than you, just trot right up to them and ask them for some tips. Most skaters are very happy to share their knowledge, especially with the lower-level stuff. :)

Chico
10-03-2006, 10:30 PM
crayonskater,

This is skating and your coach will forever be working you towards "perfection". However, no coach should be waiting for perfection before they at least let you experience new skills. And new skills are almost always shakey for awhile. You are learning for goodness sake, if you knew how to do it and you could be perfect you wouldn't need a coach! Besides, personally, I find that when challenged by something new/harder that the easier skills actually improve in the process. If my coach only let me work on the things I NEED to work on I would become very frusterated. For most adults skating is a fun and challenging thing and it needs to be. You don't sound happy. =-( Talk to your coach about trying new things and still working on those basics. If you don't feel like she's listening or is willing to try move on. This is for you and you need to have fun! Of course, it is your coaches job to know your abilities and not "let" you venture into skills that could get you hurt. Saying that, you can learn new/different without taking unrealistic risk.

Chico

jazzpants
10-04-2006, 12:30 AM
I think I just need more to do, and I'm not sure how to ask my coach."Hey, coach! We've been doing edges and three turns and stuff and I do want to continue learning them, but I've been feeling a bit bored and would like to do something else to do to shake things up a bit. What I had in mind is something like <pick something fun to do that you think you can reasonably work towards>? How about it?"

Hope that's a good start... ;) But please don't quit!!! We all go thru rough times (yours truly right now is going thru another hump now with the loop...) In the end, you need to persevere to get to the point where you CAN do all those things you want to do. And yes, if you need a fresh perspective, get a secondary coach (or replace this one if s/he not willing to accomodate you on your request.) I think it's fair for you to ask your coach to do something else for a little while and then coming back to the original stuff. Heck, my coaches does it b/c THEY gets bored going thru the same things. (Bronze Moves, anyone?) :P :twisted: :lol:

samba
10-04-2006, 02:20 AM
"Hey, coach! We've been doing edges and three turns and stuff and I do want to continue learning them, but I've been feeling a bit bored and would like to do something else to do to shake things up a bit. What I had in mind is something like <pick something fun to do that you think you can reasonably work towards>? How about it?"

You know what, this is basically what I said to my coach many moons back, the initial response was to laugh, but when she saw my hurt expression, she put me straight on to spins from a standing position, took me a couple of weeks to more or less crack that and the following week she had me doing 3 jumps, the rest is history.

Unfortunately at 57 my body now dictates what I can and cannot do, so if you are of a certain age, do listen to it, if it hurts dont do it.

But as already mentioned we all have plateaus and the better you get, the longer they last, but at your stage with a little encouragement you should progress quite quickly before that happens.

Skate@Delaware
10-04-2006, 11:00 AM
When you practice, do you have a list of items to practice or do you just skate "whatever"???

Maybe you are not being challenged enough by this coach. If he/she is not pushing you to go a little bit harder/faster or to learn new moves then maybe it's time for a new coach or for you to ask for new stuff.

My coach is always saying stuff like: "Let's do that again, but add xxx" or "try that again but go a little bit faster this time" and it really makes a difference. She also gives me "homework" to do before the next lesson.

We also re-visit her goals for me and "stuff I want to do" (i.e. short-term goals).

Rusty Blades
10-04-2006, 12:01 PM
Do I have to have these perfect before I learn anything else?

NO!

My coach takes the opposite approach - she keeps me challenged! I am just learning forward 3-Turns and Mohawks. About the time I think I am getting close to being able to do them, she'll say, "Ok, lets see your forward edges." But . . but . . but I haven't been practicing them - I have been working on TURNS! So the turns & edges are coming, now we go back to stroking and refine it! AHHHHH! I need about 4 hours away from her for every hour's lesson just so I can keep up!

Tell you coach you need a VARIETY of stuff to work on to keep you interest up. If that doesn't work, start watching other skaters and trying to pick up stuff from them. If that doesn't motivate your coach, look for another coach.

6 hours a week isn't bad. You DO need some variety and to have some fun out there!

(I am 57, have been skating since the end of January, and I am SLOW at learning things. On the other hand, I skated through spring and summer as well - that helps.)

dooobedooo
10-04-2006, 12:05 PM
Could this be a fitness issue?

Suggest you visit a gym coach and work on core strength and cardio of all sorts for an hour twice a week. If you can find a good coach it needn't be boring. Pilates is good, too.

You could also try to find a different coach, or a "stroking" class, who has a different approach - making you move and change direction more, and have a go at things without trying to do them perfectly

cecealias
10-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Out of curiousity - is there a reason why there is no ice between march - october? Are other rinks too far away in the warmer months?

flippet
10-04-2006, 02:09 PM
I had another thought--you know what it really sounds like? It sounds like this coach might not be familiar or comfortable with teaching adults. Most coaches would NEVER hold a child skater back like that. Make them practice, yes, but would not hold them back for session after session after session.

Perhaps this coach doesn't realize that you even WANT to do more than the basics. (I have known a few adult skaters who honestly didn't want to learn any more than basic stroking and maybe a couple of turns.) What might be worse--maybe she doesn't believe that, as a beginner adult, you even CAN. (If that's the case...RUN!!!!) Most likely, she just isn't thinking at all, and doesn't realize that she's treating you like a fragile object, where she wouldn't dream of treating a kid skater like that.

I started skating at 24. (I'd pond skated as a kid, but nothing serious--could skate, and turn around, but nothing more.) I passed each level of the ISI basics within a 6/7-week session (well, Beta took me two sessions--darn back crossovers!). I was able to practice four days a week, each time a 50-minute public session, plus my group lesson time. In my mind, unless you have some physical obstacle, there's ZERO reason you couldn't pass at MINIMUM, one level per season. If you attack it seriously within the time you have, and have attentive coaching.

cecealias
10-04-2006, 02:13 PM
You know one thing that has always struck me as odd with skating is that many of these coaches appear to impose limitations on what adults can do. It seems like a bad cultural vibe that's just perpetuated by some stupid narrow mentality.:roll:

In personal training or pilates or other forms of fitness there's nothing but respect for the clients that these professionals work with. You never hear in the gym a trainer tell their client they *can't* lose 10 lbs or they *won't* ever bench X number of pounds or the *can't* run a half marathon... blah blah blah.

And then of course you have people who give reasons why skating is sooooo different... :giveup:

jazzpants
10-04-2006, 03:01 PM
You know one thing that has always struck me as odd with skating is that many of these coaches appear to impose limitations on what adults can do. It seems like a bad cultural vibe that's just perpetuated by some stupid narrow mentality.:roll: This brings me to a comment my NYC coach made when I first started skating with him. He mentioned that I come off very brave b/c I show no hesitation in learning something. I found it funny b/c my coaches always says how much of a chicken I am on the ice. :lol: :P (Boc boc boc...)

But seriously, if by any chance your coach is holding you back b/c you're an adult... it's possible this coach is NOT used to adult skaters! At my rink, we get TONS of adult skaters (both recreational and competitive) and they're treated just as tough as they do the kids! Equal Opportunity Abuse here!!! :twisted: :P :lol:

Skate@Delaware
10-04-2006, 04:12 PM
This brings me to a comment my NYC coach made when I first started skating with him. He mentioned that I come off very brave b/c I show no hesitation in learning something. I found it funny b/c my coaches always says how much of a chicken I am on the ice. :lol: :P (Boc boc boc...)

But seriously, if by any chance your coach is holding you back b/c you're an adult... it's possible this coach is NOT used to adult skaters! At my rink, we get TONS of adult skaters (both recreational and competitive) and they're treated just as tough as they do the kids! Equal Opportunity Abuse here!!! :twisted: :P :lol:
My first coach (LTS adult group) was only used to teaching that realm of adult skaters and none competitively....so I was "stuck" with them and never challenged. She never treated the adults the same as the little kids that were skating competitively, never challenged us. Everything we did was "good" and "great" :?? even though things sucked.

I now have a private coach that is challenging me every time we get together.....Sometimes I get brave on my own and push myself a little bit more (i.e. go faster, jump higher). Sometimes I don't 'cause I'm lazy :lol: .

cecealias
10-04-2006, 05:31 PM
At my rink, we get TONS of adult skaters (both recreational and competitive) and they're treated just as tough as they do the kids! Equal Opportunity Abuse here!!! :twisted: :P :lol:

LOL!!! EO Abuse!! Indeed YB is adult central, Jazz and its also CA...we liberal westies love EO! I believe we are extremely fortunate to have as many adults as well as supportive coaches at YB. Or maybe the coaches are just terrified of the sheer number of adults that there are? :halo:

ouijaouija
10-04-2006, 06:03 PM
Do you not enjoy skating, or is it just because of the lack of progress that has made you think twice?

3 turns, I was having problems with these, but my coach really helped me out with the problem, that my free leg is all over the place, and if i keep it nicely tucked away it will help, and he was right.

I think if you befriend some of the regulars in the rink you can also get tips from them.

But talk to your coach and tell thme you aren't happy...

good luck, keep us posted

crayonskater
10-04-2006, 10:20 PM
Could this be a fitness issue?

Suggest you visit a gym coach and work on core strength and cardio of all sorts for an hour twice a week. If you can find a good coach it needn't be boring. Pilates is good, too.

You could also try to find a different coach, or a "stroking" class, who has a different approach - making you move and change direction more, and have a go at things without trying to do them perfectly

It's not a fitness issue. 5'5'', 125, yoga class twice a week, ballet once a week, cardio two days, visible stomach muscles (okay, that's just bragging & just that I store my fat other places. ;) ). I need to improve my flexibility, but weight-wise, I'm pretty happy. This is a bit why it's so frustrating. I'm already in good shape, so it's not like I can say, oh, well, when I lose 40 lbs I can do more.

cecealias, I don't own a car, so I walk to the university rink in the fall-spring season. Hence the winter break (rink closed). I really enjoy skating, and I like the people there, but there's not much of an adult community; I'm on the rink with former competitive child skaters who now just skate for fun.

And with the 20 minute walk & the lack of progress, & the cost, it's got me a bit down.

Are there low-level dances I could learn? I'd have more fun if I could cover a lot of ice, even if it wasn't all that hard.

doubletoe
10-05-2006, 11:55 AM
In addition to trying a different coach, here are two more thoughts for you:
1) Get your blades, boots and blade mounting checked out by a professional to make sure they are mounted correctly and that you are not pronating in your boots (or need orthotics). Someone who knows what he's doing ought to be able to see you stand in your skates and do 1-foot glides and determine whether the blades are mounted in the right place.

2) Have your coach start teaching you the Adult Pre-Bronze moves in the field so you'll have a real goal (the test) to work towards. I forget if you are in the U.S., but if you are somewhere else, there is probably an equivalent test you can prepare for.

cecealias
10-05-2006, 12:17 PM
I LOVE YOUR SIG , doubletoe. hahahaha i feel so like that somedays.

Crayonskater, I feel your pain, I once lived in an area where the only rink was
the university rink and had no car. Whereabout are you? perhaps we can give some suggestions... I found out years afterwards that there indeed was a rink available nearby and accessible by mass transit when the university rink was closed during the summer.. duh, i know...:giveup:

sarahg
10-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Are there low-level dances I could learn? I'd have more fun if I could cover a lot of ice, even if it wasn't all that hard.

As Slusher said above, you would easily be able to learn the first 5 or 6 dances. I don't know which dances you learn in the US, but here in the UK we start with the Novice Foxtrot with is just a run followed by a sustained outside edge and then swing roll. You do it to the left, then the right. It is very simple.

The next 5 dances (rhythmn blues, dutch waltz, canasta tango, golden skaters waltz and riverside rhumba) build on that and are all forwards skating but each dances introduces new steps such as chasses, closed chasses, slip chasses, cross in fronts, inside swing throughs, cross rolls.

I've been learning to skate since the beginning of May and have an ice dance coach. We are still working on the basics such as 3s, crossovers, edges, cross rolls etc but he has also taught me all of the first dances. I can't do any of them very well but I find them really good fun and working on those also has the benefit of improving my other skating. We tend to spend the first 20 mins of my lesson working on the basic skating and then we have fun in the last 10 mins doing a dance or two.

So go for it and ask your coach if you can learn some of the dances :D

Isk8NYC
10-05-2006, 12:58 PM
Here is a link to a thread with MITF and Dance patterns, if that helps.
http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=21693

I thought there was also a Figures pattern website, but I can't find it now.

flippet
10-05-2006, 01:49 PM
I really enjoy skating, and I like the people there, but there's not much of an adult community; I'm on the rink with former competitive child skaters who now just skate for fun.

These are *exactly* the type of people who can help you out! Go make friends!!! Doesn't matter if they're your age, younger than you, or older than you--they have knowledge and experience that you need, and I'll bet that they'll be just as willing to help you out as we all are. :D

Sonic
10-05-2006, 02:01 PM
Hi Crayonskater

3 points:

- I sympathise with the problem of limited ice access. If it isn't possible to get to another rink when your 'home rink' is closed, maybe you could do another activity - say dancing, during the closed season? Clearly it wouldn't be the same as skating, but at least you'd keep fit, and dance helps you improve your posture/move to music etc

- with regards to your coach, I agree with others in that your coach is being a bit restrictive. The thing with skating is, you NEVER get an element perfect, or that is to say you can always jump higher, get a deeper edge...etc etc, so IMHO it is a bit pointless only working on one element. I have found that working on different elements helps me correct faults in others...for example, working on sit spin is gradually helping me centre a camel, working on 'hard' jumps like flip has given me more guts to jump higher in waltz jumps

- I am lucky to have 2 good coaches who are very encouraging. However, as an adult skater I think you have to be a bit assertive and say what you want to achieve. When I told my respective free skate and ice dance coaches I wanted to try a programme, and was aiming to *eventually* test and compete, my free coach went straight out to find me some music, and my ice dance coach has 'decided' I'm going to try for the British adults next year....

S xxx

doubletoe
10-05-2006, 03:59 PM
Ballet and other dance classes in the off-season is a great idea!
Also, with the money you're not using for rink entry or lessons, you can buy a pair of Pic Skates, will will allow you to do many ice skating maneuvers off the ice:
http://www.picskate.com/

looplover
10-05-2006, 07:51 PM
My first coach (LTS adult group) was only used to teaching that realm of adult skaters and none competitively....so I was "stuck" with them and never challenged. She never treated the adults the same as the little kids that were skating competitively, never challenged us. Everything we did was "good" and "great" :?? even though things sucked.

I now have a private coach that is challenging me every time we get together.....Sometimes I get brave on my own and push myself a little bit more (i.e. go faster, jump higher). Sometimes I don't 'cause I'm lazy :lol: .

Ah, another reason for me to move to SF...was recently out there, didn't have time to skate but this is good to know!

crayonskater
10-09-2006, 08:49 PM
Update:

The plan now is to talk to my old learn-to-skate coach this week and see if she wouldn't mind giving me ice dancing lessons once a week with a friend. We'll see how I feel once I'm a little bit less bored out of my mind.

But it seems that a Dutch Waltz is something I could do. It looks hard to perfect but easy to learn.

Skate@Delaware
10-10-2006, 08:38 AM
In addition to the moves, you could ask your coach to start teaching you some of the beginning dances; the Dutch Waltz, Canasta Tango, Rhythm Blues. They are fun to learn, all have interesting footwork, and let's not forget about tha "lovely" ice-dance music ;) . Seriously, ice dance can really teach you to cover the rink-you have to really push yourself to get the pattern in the right place at the right time. Plus, it's fun!

Joan
10-11-2006, 01:08 PM
Perhaps part of the problem with your 3-turns is with your boots and/or blade placement. In the first 2 or 3 years that I skated, I had stock boots that did not correct my foot pronation. When I got custom boots, things improved dramatically. Then later I got custom orthotics and things improved rapidly yet again. Then later I got new blades and things improved overnight again. Even later, I began to pay attention to how the blade was mounted, and having the blade straight is crucial! Depending on your preferences, it can also help to have the blade mounted slightly to the inside of center. Have an experienced skate technician look at your boots and blades. So in my experience, every improvement in equipment led to an almost instantaneous improvement in my skating skills.

crayonskater
10-11-2006, 09:44 PM
How would I be able to tell if I'm pronating? Or at least pronating badly enough to warrant fiddling with the equipment?

I read somewhere that you should see what you do in a one-foot glide and if you curve inward, you pronate; problem is, my one foot glide goes whereever I tell it to, so if I am naturally pronating or supinating, I'm correcting it very quickly. Would how I normally stand be a good guide?

Musing that most problems for me are likely technique, not equipment, what with the four months of ice access and coaching issues.

jazzpants
10-11-2006, 11:04 PM
How would I be able to tell if I'm pronating? Or at least pronating badly enough to warrant fiddling with the equipment?

I read somewhere that you should see what you do in a one-foot glide and if you curve inward, you pronate; problem is, my one foot glide goes whereever I tell it to, so if I am naturally pronating or supinating, I'm correcting it very quickly. Would how I normally stand be a good guide?Okay, there are two things to consider:

Blade alignment:
You can check if your blade alignment is right by gliding on one foot on the blue hockey line. If you curve inward and you make an effort to correct it and it's still a lot of effort, your blade alignment needs adjusting on that skate.

Pronating/Supinating:
You can tell not from your skates, but from your regular shoes. If you have shoes with wooden heels (thicker heels are better), put them next to each other with the heels next to each other. Look at the back of the heels. If you see that the heels are wearing out more on one side of the shoe than the other, you might be pronating/supinating and may need orthotics to balance things out.

You don't want pronating/supinating b/c you're favoring one side more than the other and you will wear out one side of your hips and lower back more than the other.

CanAmSk8ter
10-12-2006, 03:16 PM
I had another thought--you know what it really sounds like? It sounds like this coach might not be familiar or comfortable with teaching adults.

Perhaps this coach doesn't realize that you even WANT to do more than the basics. (I have known a few adult skaters who honestly didn't want to learn any more than basic stroking and maybe a couple of turns.)

I had some of the same thoughts... I really like teaching adults (I'm only 25 myself) and I've found that a lot of coaches seem to think that you have to show kids things that are above what they can truly *do* to keep them interested, yet these same coaches seem to think adults are somehow immune from getting bored. Yes, most adults are willing to work harder and longer on basics than your average 9-year-old, but that doesn't mean they're going to be happy like that forever!

FWIW, these are a few things I'd personally be willing to introduce to a student at your level:

-back edges
-mohawks
-backward to forward turns on two feet
-lunges
-spirals
-two foot spin
-introductory dance steps (progressives, chasses, swing rolls) and possibly prelim dances
-first few pre-bronze MITF

That's not to say that you'd be able to *do* all of those things any time soon, but they're all things that take awhile to master, so there's no real reason not to start them early.