View Full Version : A dumb question?

ouijaouija
10-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Is this a real dumb question?

I've tried looking everywher on the NISA website, but what happens after you've cpmpleted the learn to skate 10 levels? Someonething I expect is a common question is nowhere to be answered...

Is there a real higher level needed, I mean how many of you guys are doing this?

Plus how different is learning ice dance, any lists of what you leanr in that?

Thanks

doubletoe
10-01-2006, 09:47 PM
Does your coach/rink focus mostly on ISI or USFSA? There is a test structure for each one, and for adults choosing the USFSA track, all you have to do is join usfsa through your local skating club and have your coach start working on the Adult Pre-Bronze Moves-in-the-Field and Adult Pre-Bronze Freestyle tests.

mikawendy
10-01-2006, 10:32 PM
NISA is a British skating federation I believe, so some of the posters here from the UK will probably have to answer ouijaouija's question...

NickiT
10-02-2006, 02:10 AM
You then go onto the Passport scheme in which you need to pass bronze, silver and gold tests with your coach before starting to work for the proper NISA tests levels one through to ten.

Nicki

sarahg
10-02-2006, 03:08 AM
Or if you are going the dance route you do the bronze, silver and gold passport for dance and are then eligible to test your dances (novice foxtrot and Rhythm Blues being the first 2) together with dance MITF.

BatikatII
10-02-2006, 03:39 AM
Is this a real dumb question?

I've tried looking everywher on the NISA website, but what happens after you've cpmpleted the learn to skate 10 levels? Someonething I expect is a common question is nowhere to be answered...

Is there a real higher level needed, I mean how many of you guys are doing this?

Plus how different is learning ice dance, any lists of what you leanr in that?

Thanks

Not a dumb question at all - NISA is pretty bad at putting out the information you need. Are you a member of NISA as they do publish a newletter which (sometimes) has useful bits of explanation and you'll need to join if you want to compete in Opens ever or to do the tests beyond passport which are NISA levels 1 - 10

Does your rink have a skate club? They are (probably) another useful source of information.

I hadn't realised the passports were different for dance and free (we didnt' have them when I started) - does this mean if you want to do both you have to do both passports or does one qualify you for the other?

Our rink has just instituted group Academy lessons based on the passports so that people do have a structure to go on to beyond learn-to-skate but it's an individual rink thing. If you have private coach ask them to explain it all to you.

When I started I did the rinks learn-to-skate (skate UK levels did not exist then) then did something now called 'old novice test' as opposed to 'old old novice test' or the 'Novice competitive' test - very confusing indeed). I've now upgraded my old novice to full NISA level 1 (currently the first NISA test beyond passport). In between I did levels 1 & 2 of solo dance tests, compulsory dance initially, (no jumps or spins, set patterns, forwards only, for first 3 levels) but also variation, dance moves (now equivalent to field moves but soon both to be replaced by 'skating moves') and Free dance tests. Free dance is my highest level test, level 3.

I believe you can do NISA 'open' competitions once you have gold passport. Club competitions if your club has them are usually open to beginner levels below passport

sarahg
10-02-2006, 03:47 AM
I believe (from my dance coach) that I will only need to pass dance passport in order to test on the dance route. If I want to elect to do freeskate as well then it is entirely up to me, but not necessary.

If anyone knows any differently I'd love to hear. He didn't seem 100% convinced of NISA rules!

Mrs Redboots
10-02-2006, 05:25 AM
He didn't seem 100% convinced of NISA rules!Since NISA change them every five minutes, I'm not surprised!

Incidentally, Ouijaouija, you don't need to have passed your passport or any standard tests to start competing, with the exception of pairs. In the USA it's different, but here, most competitions are maximum standard only, with no minimum. Obviously you wouldn't enter unless and until you (or more importantly, your teacher) thought you had a programme that was to standard, or more or less, but you don't need to test to enter.

BatikatII
10-02-2006, 05:33 AM
Thought our comp sec said Bracknell opens this year had a minimum standard of gold passport because NISA now required it. May be wrong and as you so rightly say Annabel, NISA change the rules so often it's impossible to keep up!

NickiT
10-02-2006, 06:11 AM
Thought our comp sec said Bracknell opens this year had a minimum standard of gold passport because NISA now required it. May be wrong and as you so rightly say Annabel, NISA change the rules so often it's impossible to keep up!

No that was what I had heard because we wanted my son to compete in the Opens with his artistic but he couldn't because he didn't have his passport Gold.

Nicki

ouijaouija
10-02-2006, 10:47 AM
very boggling, but i did find this bbc website...

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:bqOdhg9T8ZMJ:www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A2966826+freestyle+learn+to+skate&hl=en&gl=uk&ct=clnk&cd=2

skatingdoris
10-02-2006, 11:07 AM
Sooo not a dumb question, it took me ages to find out what happened after learn to skate when I was looking for the information and I still can't decipher the NISA website :frus:

As People have said when you have passed level 10 you will go on and do you passport, now lets see if I can remember what is required....

Bronze - waltz jump, two foot spin, bunnyhop into foward drag
Silver - salchow, one foot spin, Foward spirals,
Gold - cherryflip, 1foot spin with entry, back spin(1 rev),

(some of this is definately in the wrong place and there are a few things missing as I am writing from memory! Feel free to correct me)

From there you will go on to do the NISA standard tests, for freeskating the requirements for these are listed here, at the bottom of the page. (Although I don't know how accurate this is someone might be able to say.)
http://home.pacbell.net/anamga/appendices2.html

The rest of this website is also pretty interesting if you haven't come across it before.
http://home.pacbell.net/anamga/

doubletoe
10-02-2006, 01:05 PM
Does your coach/rink focus mostly on ISI or USFSA? There is a test structure for each one, and for adults choosing the USFSA track, all you have to do is join usfsa through your local skating club and have your coach start working on the Adult Pre-Bronze Moves-in-the-Field and Adult Pre-Bronze Freestyle tests.

Oops! Sorry, I had forgotten you were in the UK. :roll:

ouijaouija
10-02-2006, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the info, I'm still pretty basic myself, I can do a waltz jump, thats about it.

max
10-03-2006, 03:49 AM
The minimum requirement to enter an Opens is definitely SkateUK Passport Gold.

enakn
10-03-2006, 07:47 AM
Here are the Skate UK Passport requirements. Hope this helps someone.

Figure Skating (Free):

Bronze -
Element 1 - Forward Spiral on either foot with flow
Element 2 - Bunny-Hop into a forward drag
Element 3 - Two-Foot Spin (min 3 revolutions)
Element 4 - Three Jump (Waltz Jump)

Silver -
Element 1 - Backward Spiral on either foot
Element 2 - One-Foot Spin (min 2 revolutions)
Element 3 - Teapot on either foot, (forwards or backwards)
Element 4 - Single Salchow Jump

Gold -
Element 1 - Backward outside One-Foot spin (min. one revolution)
Element 2 - One-Foot spin with correct entry and one-foot exit, (min 4 revolutions)
Element 3 - Single Toe-Loop Jump
Element 4 - Combination of skating movements, turns, spins and jumps in a short routine with or without music, max 1 min 30

Dance:

Bronze -
Element 1 - Forward open chasses and crossed, (closed) chasses continuously on a circle (min 3) (Left & Right)
Element 2 - Forward left outside closed mohawk, cross in front onto a LBA. Step forward to forwards RFI (x3) (Left & Right)
Element 3 - Forward progressive runs (clockwise & anti-clockwise)
Element 4 - Two consecutive LFO 3-turns followed by LFO sustained outside edge with free leg extended for a count of 1,2,3. (Left & Right)

Silver -
Element 1 - Forward progressive runs in a figure of eight. (In kilian hold with a partner / coach, optional)
Element 2 - Backward open chasses (x3 on each foot) in a serpentine sequence
Element 3 - Backwards progressive runs in a figure of eight
Element 4 - A 7 step dance sequence. Right forward inside open mohawk, RBO run, RBO cross in-front LBI, Step forwards RFI. Repeated twice.

Gold -
Element 1 - Forward run, forwards slip chasse (x3) (in a figure of eight)
Element 2 - Backward open chasses in a serpentine sequence (x3 on each foot) waltz hold with a partner/coach optional
Element 3 - Solo Novice Foxtrot with music. Correct pattern and 60% in time
Element 4 - A 9 step dance sequence. LFO progressive run, LFO closed chasse, LFO progressive run, LFO open mohawk, LBI.

Synchronized

Bronze:
Element 1 - Forward line skated half the length of the rink in shoulder hold using alternative left & right progressive runs
Element 2 - Forward two spoke Pin Wheel, in shoulder hold, using open chasse steps for a minimum of three revolutions
Element 3 - Forward circle of at least three revolutions in handhold facing inwards
Element 4 - Forward Intersections with three pass-throughs using at least half the length of the rink and open chasse steps

Silver:
Element 1 - Back line skated half the length of the rink in shoulder hold using a combination of chasses and progressive runs
Element 2 - Two spoke Pin Wheel, half the group skate forward and half backwards, for a minimum of 3 revolutions, using chasses and in shoulder hold
Element 3 - Backward circle of at least three revolutions using back chasses and/or crossovers, shoulder hold and facing inwards
Element 4 - Forward Open Block with frontline in shoulder hold and back line also in shoulder hold but additionally the end skater placing their free hand on the shoulder of the skater directly in front. The group to skate forward progressive runs alternating left and right.

Gold:
Element 1 - Forward Line in shoulder hold turning to back line into elbow hold. Steps may be a combination of chasses, progressive runs and back cross overs. This movemenet to be performed using the full length of the rink
Element 2 - Backwards two spoke Pin Wheel of at least three revolutions using back chasses and/or cross-overs, and elbow to elbow hold
Element 3 - Forward Closed Block in shoulder hold and using chasse and progressive runs. Skaters must use two axis and the full length and width of the rink.
Element 4 - Backwards Intersections with three pass-throughs using at least half the length of the rink and a combination of back chasses and crossovers

Isk8NYC
10-03-2006, 09:12 AM
Very nice! Welcome to the Board.