View Full Version : testing pre-bronze

jcookie1982
09-30-2006, 01:07 PM
To all of the adult skaters here, how long had you been skating before you decided to work towards, and test Pre-Bronze? I've only been skating since last November, but I feel like I'm ready to start working towards testing my pre-bronze moves, and if I could only get the one foot spin down, pre-bronze freestyle. On the other hand, I don't want to rush things, or move too fast.

Debbie S
09-30-2006, 02:16 PM
Are you in group lessons or private lessons? If you are only in group lessons now, you should get a coach to work with you on these skills. Group lessons introduce you to the basics, but you will need lots of one-on-one instruction and correction in order to get the moves and FS elements to passing level.

If you are working with a coach, why don't you ask him/her about working toward the test? Chances are, he/she has already started teaching you the fundamentals that you will need in order to learn and master the moves. It's always a good idea to discuss your timetable and goals with your coach, to make sure that you are on the same page.

The time you have been skating matters less than your skill level. Some people learn a lot their first year of skating and move quickly through the lesson levels, and others take a bit longer or get stuck on a particular skill for a while. That's why only a coach who sees your skating can really determine what skills you are ready to work on.

FWIW, I stayed in group lessons for almost 2 years and then switched to private lessons. In retrospect, I probably should have switched sooner, but then again, I saved money. By the time I started private lessons, I had a consistent waltz, toe, sal, and was working on the loop and flip. I could do forward scratch and sit spins. But my basics, like crossovers, needed quite a bit of work. My coach started me on the Pre-Bronze moves right away, since I told her that was my goal for the year, and I passed MIF and FS (same test session) after about 8 months.

DallasSkater
09-30-2006, 03:57 PM
Hi jcookie: I started skating in the learn to skate program in January of this year. I am still taking LTS classes as it is a good deal that involve unlimited public sessions while you are enrolled. I am now in FS class and take a few others such stroking class (also a good deal). I additionally work with a private coach weekly. I have been testing ISI and will take the next test of that next week. My coach said I can start this January to really focus on pre bronze Moves in the field and FS. I am in a bridge program so I think they are encouraging me to make the switch to the USFSA standards. I am excited about it.

I agree with Debbie, start focusing the test when you feel comfortable. Some people are ready faster than others.

Good luck to you!

mikawendy
09-30-2006, 06:05 PM
I started taking group lessons when I first started skating, then supplemented that with private MIF lessons about 6 months after that (at which time I started working on the pre-bronze MIF lessons). I did that for about another 2 years and several months, then I stopped group lessons and just did private FS and MIF lessons.

doubletoe
09-30-2006, 10:29 PM
It's never too early to start working towards your Pre-Bronze test! Also, just because you've passed your PB test doesn't mean you have to compete. If you like, you can wait until you feel that you have more jumps or spins under your belt. One thing I can say is that nothing makes you a good skater faster than working towards a test. :)