View Full Version : New Year's Invitational 2007

mdvask8r
09-28-2006, 10:30 AM
SAVE THE DATE!
Washington Figure Skating Club's 6th Annual New Year's Invitational Adult Competition in Ashburn, Virginia on February 3-4, 2007.

Tell all your friends and we'll distribute the announcement as soon as our sanction is received. Any questions? -- contact AdultSkateWFSC@aol.com (http://us.f515.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?To=AdultSkateWFSC@aol.com).

See you there!
Tim Fisher

Show us your New Look for 2007.....
Now in our 6th Year!
See wfsc.net for further details....

TimDavidSkate
09-28-2006, 10:32 AM
Thanks, looking forward to it :D

Stormy
09-30-2006, 08:30 AM
I should be doing this one too, I'll need the warm up before Easterns!

TimDavidSkate
11-15-2006, 11:30 AM
any nearby hotels? :halo:

Debbie S
11-15-2006, 11:36 AM
There is usually a list of hotels included on the announcement.

Hey mdvask8r, is there any word as to when the announcement will be posted?

jenlyon60
11-15-2006, 12:34 PM
There is an Embassy Suites within 1/4 mile of Ashburn Ice House.

THere are numerous hotels on Rt 28 between Dulles Airport and Waxpool Road (where one turns to go to the rink).

New this year for refreshment, there are about half a dozen restaurants in a strip mall next to Ashburn Ice House, in case someone wants a non-driving break from the pizza/pasta available inside the rink.

There is also a Five Guys burgers next to the Embassy Suites, and there may be several other restaurants open in that area by early February.

Terri C
11-23-2006, 07:33 AM
Got the announcement when I opened my e-mail this morning. While I'm at work, I can't open it!:x Will have to wait until tonight to open it at home!
However, if I pass moves in two weeks, I may pass on this this coming year in order to move up to Bronze altogether. We'll see.

Debbie S
11-23-2006, 12:20 PM
Sigh - when will they pick reasonable elements for the MIF, Spin, and CM events? :roll: Yes, I know Wash FSC likes to challenge skaters, but at a certain point, it gets ridiculous. A layback (or attitude), change-scratch, and camel combo spin for Bronze Spins? Actually, the Silver, Gold, and Masters Spins look pretty reasonable for the respective levels (and some are easier than the Bronze spins) - what happened to Bronze? Why not just a sit, scratch, and camel like they had at HC? :??

And then there are the MIF events. I am pleased to see that the moves they called out for Silver MIF are both from the Silver test - if only they applied that thinking to Bronze. This is the 3rd year in a row that they chose a Silver move in addition to a Bronze move. Don't they realize that many (well, at least me, anyway) compete in MIF events b/c they are working on that level and want to get practice for the test? How is a half-pattern of a Bronze move (and why only half? we had to do a whole pattern of alt BO edge glides last year) and a whole pattern of a Silver move going to give them useful practice, or even be feasible for them to do. If you've never done power pulls before, it would be hard to get them comp-ready in 2 months.

Since I'm working on Silver (and feel better about my power pulls than my cross rolls), I could do either event, but I got so sick of the 5-step when I was working on Bronze that I think I'll do the Silver event - it'll be good motivation to improve my cross rolls and I think I need the practice of doing the 3-turns in a judged situation more than the power pulls.

I'm a bit leery of some of the elements in Bronze CM (like the back scratch - couldn't they have picked a sit spin?), but I think I will do that event. And of course, FS (maybe this will be the first time where I don't end up last in Bronze - dare I dream?).

Edited to add that the announcement is now posted on the Wash FSC website, so those who did not attend last year can also download it. :) http://www.wfsc.net/

Terri C
11-23-2006, 06:39 PM
I have to agree with Debbie here.
Last year, one of the competition committee members asked for feedback on how to improve, etc. I, as well as several others replied about the compulsory and moves events making no sense as far as elements are concerned.
Oh well, there is a situation brewing at work that may force me to cut back on skating for a short period of time, so given that, I may not be attending.

NoVa Sk8r
11-23-2006, 07:50 PM
I have explained these problems to some of my club officers, but these issues (the most practical being the loss of money from fewer event entries) seem to fall on deaf ears. :??

jazzpants
11-23-2006, 11:55 PM
I have explained these problems to some of my club officers, but these issues (the most practical being the loss of money from fewer event entries) seem to fall on deaf ears. :??Okay, call me dopey but... what incentive do they have for making these elements so hard that most can't do them??? Is there an image thing involved where they have to make thing extra tough for everyone? Just one of those "scratching my head wondering" type of thing...

Not that I'm going to NYI this year either but... well, just (innocently) asking?

Terri C
11-24-2006, 08:13 AM
I have explained these problems to some of my club officers, but these issues (the most practical being the loss of money from fewer event entries) seem to fall on deaf ears. :??

Thanks for trying, but here's another thing the organizers didn't consider:
There is apparently going to be another adult competition at The Pond in Newark, DE three weeks after NYI. It may be a bit of a squeeze for those going to Easterns the following weekend, but I'd think that with that event happening the NYI folks would make a extra effort to get more folks there.

skaternum
11-24-2006, 12:38 PM
I agree about the spin and move events at NYI, especially the spins. I have NEVER done a spin event at NYI, and never will until they require spins that I stand a reasonable chance in He** of being able to do. They're just nuts with this stuff. Give us a break, already, with the elements 2 levels too high! I mean, jeez. I could place 1st in the Silver Ladies II freeskate, but I couldn't do the spin event?? WTH?

sk8pics
11-24-2006, 01:39 PM
Well, I won't be skating in this event, but I will probably try to come and watch and cheer you guys on! And I can put people on the ice, too, if anyone is missing a coach or other such helper.

Good luck to everyone in their practices and in deciding what events to do.

Debbie S
11-24-2006, 03:01 PM
Well, I won't be skating in this event, but I will probably try to come and watch and cheer you guys on! Yay, sk8pics, I look forward to seeing you there (if I don't see you before)!

I practiced on 2 near-empty FS sessions this afternoon and tried out some of the moves for Bronze CM. Yikes - the back power 3's are going to be a serious challenge (gee, you think they could have picked forward power 3's instead - after all, that's a Bronze move). Good thing they only require 2 of them. I tried out some possible jump sequences, but I may end up going with waltz-half loop-salchow (assuming you can repeat the salchow as it is already a required jump solo -I have to check) b/c I figure it would be better to do an easier element well than a harder element that doesn't look that good. I am definitely doing a spiral for the "sustained glide" - hydroblading is definitely not in my future - lol.

Ellyn
11-24-2006, 09:00 PM
I agree about the spin and move events at NYI, especially the spins. I have NEVER done a spin event at NYI, and never will until they require spins that I stand a reasonable chance in He** of being able to do. They're just nuts with this stuff. Give us a break, already, with the elements 2 levels too high! I mean, jeez. I could place 1st in the Silver Ladies II freeskate, but I couldn't do the spin event?? WTH?

Well, and then there are those of us who do better in the spin events than in the freestyle. Which is probably the point of having a spin event.

I'll probably do silver MITF and either bronze compulsory moves or silver spins, but I don't have time this winter to train all three, or my freestyle program.

The bronze spins are pretty much the same requirements as the last two years, except one year it was change-foot spin and the other it was just back scratch. Been there done that. Not that I'd expect to place well in silver, but it would be fun to try a more complicated combo spin with change of foot.