View Full Version : A fun animation, aka doubletoe was right!

vesperholly
09-27-2006, 04:14 AM
Fabulous calf-to-thigh advice taken (http://www.skatingforums.com/showpost.php?p=290461&postcount=27) with the following result (give it a moment to load):

http://users.adelphia.net/~jdelmar/images/sitspin.gif

Joan
09-27-2006, 08:15 AM
Fabulous calf-to-thigh advice taken (http://www.skatingforums.com/showpost.php?p=290461&postcount=27) with the following result (give it a moment to load):

http://users.adelphia.net/~jdelmar/images/sitspin.gif

That's impressive improvement!

doubletoe
09-27-2006, 01:53 PM
Way to go, Vesperholly! :D :bow:
I have to say this is the single most valuable skating tip I have ever received from anyone, and I am constantly surprised by how few people try it after I mention it to them. It totally works, though!

Skate@Delaware
09-27-2006, 02:17 PM
I've tried to get low and tried to get my legs together but I'm basically afraid. I shouldn't be because being so low to the ice, wiping out isn't as awful as wiping out on jumps (like the flip, for one8O ). I guess it's just counter to what I want to do....I try to stay UPRIGHT and here I'm purposely trying to go really low :giveup: :frus:

vesperholly
09-27-2006, 02:19 PM
Way to go, Vesperholly! :D :bow:
I have to say this is the single most valuable skating tip I have ever received from anyone, and I am constantly surprised by how few people try it after I mention it to them. It totally works, though!
Seriously!!! I am so grateful, I worked for a long time on my sit spin to get a nice position, centered and fast, but it was never low enough. It still isn't, but it's much better thanks to that tip. So, THANK YOU! :bow:

NickiT
09-27-2006, 03:06 PM
That's a great tip. While I have no problems with my sit spin, my daughter could do with going lower so I'm going to pass on the tip to her. Will let you know how it goes!

Nicki

Sonic
09-27-2006, 03:43 PM
Hey Vesperholly - sit spin and axel in the same week?:bow:

Dunno what you're taking but please can I have some lol!? :lol:

S xxx

vesperholly
09-27-2006, 04:00 PM
Hey Vesperholly - sit spin and axel in the same week?:bow:

Dunno what you're taking but please can I have some lol!? :lol:

S xxx
Oh goodness, I've had my sit spin since I was 12. ;) Minor improvement, that's all. Now if I could only get that dratted camel spin to behave.

Actually, I started Weight Watchers last week. With these results, I'm definitely sticking with it!!!

Skate@Delaware
09-27-2006, 04:22 PM
Oh goodness, I've had my sit spin since I was 12. ;) Minor improvement, that's all. Now if I could only get that dratted camel spin to behave.

Actually, I started Weight Watchers last week. With these results, I'm definitely sticking with it!!!
I'm sure you will stick with it; skaters tend to "go for broke" and stick with it until they get what they want!!! My daughter just started south beach diet this week (she's trying to meet the weight limit so she can get into the Navy). She is also a skater. (But you have always had beautiful jumps):bow:

I am amazed at the difference in your sit and now I'm motivated to try even harder!!!

phoenix
09-27-2006, 06:51 PM
Well, I've been secretly playing w/ a sit spin for a couple of weeks now (enlightened ice dancer toying with the dark side :twisted: ).....and Monday started playing w/ something I read someplace---to learn to get lower and/or develop the strength, start doing the spin & go down until you fall. It made a big difference, I no longer stopped myself at a "safe" spot where I knew I could get back up----and I quickly learned that what I had been doing and LOW are 2 very different things! I'm going to keep doing that, and eventually the idea is you develop strenght over time to hold that low position rather than fall out of it.

ps--I wore pads & also padded my left knee (which seems to get banged a lot falling out of sit spins), so that I would have absolutely no hesitation to fling myself to the ice! It worked--I purposely spun until I fell for a good 15 minutes w/ no bad repercussions.

doubletoe
09-27-2006, 06:55 PM
It doesn't take quite as much strength as you would think, though. One major factor is where you have your weight. The farther forward your weight is, the easier it is to stay low to the ice without falling backward. Part of the "skating leg calf against inside of free leg thigh" position involves pushing your chest and free leg forward as you get lower. That keeps the weight on the ball of the foot so you don't fall back and sit down.

CaraSkates
09-27-2006, 08:28 PM
Well, I've been secretly playing w/ a sit spin for a couple of weeks now (enlightened ice dancer toying with the dark side :twisted: ).....and Monday started playing w/ something I read someplace---to learn to get lower and/or develop the strength, start doing the spin & go down until you fall. It made a big difference, I no longer stopped myself at a "safe" spot where I knew I could get back up----and I quickly learned that what I had been doing and LOW are 2 very different things! I'm going to keep doing that, and eventually the idea is you develop strenght over time to hold that low position rather than fall out of it.

ps--I wore pads & also padded my left knee (which seems to get banged a lot falling out of sit spins), so that I would have absolutely no hesitation to fling myself to the ice! It worked--I purposely spun until I fell for a good 15 minutes w/ no bad repercussions.

This is how I improved my sitspin. It has always been the hardest spin for me - not to spin but to get down! I've always had a fast centered sitspin, just now low. I spent two hour and a half sessions (one each day) doing almost nothing but sitspins and spinning out on my butt. The third day I spent trying to get down and hold it. Around the fourth day it started working. About a week later it became easier to get down and stay there and get up! It's still hard and on Friday I will try doubletoe's tips to improve it even more. My coach has said that it is harder for me to get down because I'm tall (5' 6") and I have long legs. Camels are easy compared to sitspins!

Skate@Delaware
09-27-2006, 09:16 PM
This is how I improved my sitspin. It has always been the hardest spin for me - not to spin but to get down! I've always had a fast centered sitspin, just now low. I spent two hour and a half sessions (one each day) doing almost nothing but sitspins and spinning out on my butt. The third day I spent trying to get down and hold it. Around the fourth day it started working. About a week later it became easier to get down and stay there and get up! It's still hard and on Friday I will try doubletoe's tips to improve it even more. My coach has said that it is harder for me to get down because I'm tall (5' 6") and I have long legs. Camels are easy compared to sitspins!
I'm 5'6" with long legs also and have had a bear of a time with the sitspin....and have had a better time with the camel. But, we are spending more time with the sit because I'm having a harder time with it...:frus: (funny, I don't consider myself tall...)

I am going to spend a session next week doing 30 minutes of falling on my butt while trying to get low on the sit.....maybe i'll tape it just for grins and giggles.:roll:

doubletoe
09-27-2006, 09:18 PM

I hear ya! I'm about 5'5-1/2" and last year I had to stop doing sitspins, salchows and axels entirely for 2 months because I strained my left knee doing too many sitspins. (Now I limit myself to 5 sitspins per practice, including the two that are in my program). So I would advise being careful with the number of sitspins you do so you don't develop knee problems. One trick I've come up with is to switch to the right foot and stand up in a reverse scratch to save a little strain on my knee. ;)