View Full Version : Help! Need input re: (possibly?) new skates . . .

Laura H
09-26-2006, 06:58 PM
A little background - I am an adult skater who started skating 2 years ago - I take lessons with 3 other adults, we are all roughly in the freestyle (or is it freeskate?) 1 to 2 level (USFS). I am comfortable with the waltz jump and half flip, can do a toe loop every now and then when I get brave. I would say I am medium build & height (5'5").

Anyway . . . I have been butting my head against a wall with the one footed spin and our instructor took a look at my skates on ice last night & mentioned that they didn't have much rocker to them - kept them and discussed with another instructor today and basically . . . the blades are just not that good. My skates are Riedells and I don't know the model but they are definitely entry level/recreational. Is it time for better skates now? Have no problem whatsoever with the Riedell fit . . . so I would prefer to stay with Riedell boots . . .but I don't really understand how one selects blades. (my entry level Riedells came already put together :lol: ). I live in an area where whatever I buy will need to be mail ordered. I figured I would be fine with my skates since I don't compete or anything, but do I need better blades just due to the level we are in now? Sorry to sound so clueless, but . . . well, I am!! Any guidance would be appreciated!

itfigures
09-26-2006, 07:09 PM
Try contacting Ridelle they might recomend another type of blade.
Truly I think that Jacksons are the best.
I have had almost every type of skate and think that Jackson is the best.
When I was getting my skates my coach told me to stay far away from the Ridelle. (Why, I have no idea)
If you still have recreational skates it is time to get a lower "leval" of figure skate. When you buy new skates usually they will make sure that the baldes are ok and sharpened correctly.
If you were to get the Jackson skates they can be heat molded to fit your foot, if you had any pressure points.
Just something to think about. :)

doubletoe
09-26-2006, 07:42 PM
Either the MK Professional blade or the Wilson Coronation Ace blade should be great for you at the level you're at now and will continue to be a good blade for you through all of your single jumps through the axel. Both of these blades have a 7-foot rocker, which means the ball of the blade (the part you spin on, right behind the bottom toepick) is rounder and easier to spin on than a blade with an 8' or 8-1/2' rocker.

phoenix
09-26-2006, 07:43 PM
If Reidell fits you, stay with Reidell. They have a very different fit than Jacksons.

If you may be needing a new boot in another year or so, you may want to go ahead w/ it now--to be sure the length of the blade will be suitable. If you get only new blades now, & then new boots a year from now, there's a possibility the blades won't fit the new boots.

And yes, a better quality/higher level blade may help with spins & jumps (for one thing, the toe picks will be bigger, giving you more grip on toe jump takeoffs).