View Full Version : New Tights.

Pairs Chick
09-26-2006, 05:19 PM
Everytime i get new tights and after i wash them, they become pale. How can you wash them without getting the colour washed out of it. HELP PLEASE:D

Skate@Delaware
09-26-2006, 08:33 PM
Are you washing them in warm or cold water? tights should be washed in cold water and really should be hand washed (if you have time) and never machine dried. Are you using something like Woolite? Some detergents strip out the dye (Tide is famous for that).

But, sometimes you just can't help it, if your water has chlorine or chemicals/minerals in it then you are stuck (unless you buy bottled water).

CaraSkates
09-26-2006, 09:09 PM
Are you washing them in warm or cold water? tights should be washed in cold water and really should be hand washed (if you have time) and never machine dried. Are you using something like Woolite? Some detergents strip out the dye (Tide is famous for that).

But, sometimes you just can't help it, if your water has chlorine or chemicals/minerals in it then you are stuck (unless you buy bottled water).
I know you're supposed to do this....but I never do. I machine wash and dry (on delicate settings for both washer and dryer) all my skate tights and my pink ballet tights. They do fade eventually but I've found it takes about a year for my Danskin tights to fade and that's when they seem to stretch out and I need new ones anyway. I do handwash (with ivory snow liquid, same as all my competition dresses) my competition footless and OTB tights. The practice footless and OTB go in with my normal laundry. I have yet to have Danskin, Mondor or US Icewear tights fade quickly. I'm not sure of the laundry detergent though, I could check. Oh and I wash my tights with my light colors so they get washed on warm-cold as opposed to cold-cold. I've been doing this for two years and the Danskin tights I got last Christmas and wash every week without fail still look almost new. If the bottoms of the feet weren't black (and they had no toepick holes!), they would look new.

Mercedeslove
09-26-2006, 10:21 PM
I handwash mine in cold water with Delicare. Works wonders.

samba
09-27-2006, 01:05 AM
Ditto, I never machine wash my new ones, once they get older and full of holes I dont care how I wash them because they are for practice, but never in the machine for new ones, if old before I put them into the machine by turning them inside out and putting them in a pillow case with an elastic band or hair band on the end to hold them in.

However in the UK if you insist on machine washing, you can get colour wash washing powders, the first to come to mind is Ariel, but a few other makes do them. You really must rinse very very well though because they are biological which I personally cannot use wiithout breaking out in a rash.

vesperholly
09-27-2006, 02:23 AM
LOL, mine never last long enough to fade! I wear thin styles and they run and get holes so often. :frus:

dooobedooo
09-27-2006, 02:46 AM
Deleted...

dooobedooo
09-27-2006, 02:49 AM
I use a "wool and silk" type gentle detergent, and a synthetic wash cycle at 30 degrees. Into this goes all the colourfast lycra practice skatewear and tights, plus any other washable woollens or synthetics. I also add a fabric conditioner to the final rinse tray. Then I hang them up in the bathroom to dry naturally (only takes a couple of hours). The tights do last and stay colourfast a long time this way.

For competition wear, I turn it inside out and soak it in a bucket in luke warm water with a very small amount of gentle detergent. I rinse it thoroughly, squeeze it out gently by hand, reshape it, and allow it to dry flat. When nearly dry, I shake out the skirt and hang it up from the waist to dry without creases.

jazzpants
09-27-2006, 02:51 AM
I don't wear skating tights often enough to wear them out or have the colors fade! :lol: :twisted: :P

Given that, Woolite in the gentle cycle or hand wash and hang dried works just fine for me.

sk8_4fun
09-27-2006, 03:11 AM
I put all tights, skating or otherwise, in a laundry bag and on the most gentle cycle with a half measure of detergent. Then dry outside.

NickiT
09-27-2006, 05:44 AM
I put all my skating stuff - tights and dresses - into the machine on a handwash cycle. I used to use Persil Silk and Wool but now just use a regular colour detergent and have had no problems. I always hang out to dry though. I've never dried them in the machine.

Nicki

Skate@Delaware
09-27-2006, 08:22 AM
Anything like tights and (believe it or not ladies) bras should never be dried in the dryer!!!!

It destroys the elastic quicker than anything. Just air dry and they will hold up longer.

My practice tights do get machine washed all the time, in cold water. Sometimes I forget and they occasionally get machine dried (oops!) but only when I forget to check.

I haven't had my Mondor change color or fade. I usually buy the microfiber type and 2-3 new pair every year (we get them at cost for the ice shows so why not?)

Mrs Redboots
09-27-2006, 08:54 AM
My tights go in with my flesh-coloured leotard, underpants and bra, on a "hand wash" cycle with Persil Silk & Wool (actually Lidl's equivalent right now, which is okay); seems to work well, and they dry fast.

skateflo
09-27-2006, 10:05 AM
I first wash them (in a laundry net bag) with Woolite and warm/cold water but I use vinegar for the rinse cycle instead of traditional fabric softener. I learned years ago to do the vinegar rinse for all colored garments for their first washing as it supposedly helps 'set' the color, and it acts as a fabric softener as well. After that first wash time, they go into Woolite warm/cold cycle, liquid fabric softener and into the dryer. Color stays fine for a very long time.

Pairs Chick
09-30-2006, 06:00 PM
I use the micro fiber ( the really thin ones) they always turn pink:frus: