View Full Version : Jump Sequence...?

TimDavidSkate
09-26-2006, 10:43 AM
Here's the part where I'm a little iffy with... What would you consider a jump sequence, can you guys name some for me :halo: Im trying to figure out what jump sequence to do for my Silver Free Skating Test ;)

Thanks you guys,
Tim

coskater64
09-26-2006, 11:15 AM
toe loop falling leaf toe loop
loop half loop flip
lutz falling leaf toe loop
salchow half loop salchow
flip muzurka toe loop
axel falling leaf toe loop
waltz half loop flip

MQSeries
09-26-2006, 11:36 AM
half loop-single salchow-half loop-single salchow-2 loop

axel-half loop-2 sal

TimDavidSkate
09-26-2006, 11:39 AM
Thanks guys ;)

doubletoe
09-26-2006, 12:07 PM
For my Silver FS test I did a lutz-waltz-loop (I checked with a judge first to make sure it would be considered a sequence). Of course the first jump could be any listed jump; it doesn't have to be a lutz.

Another sequence I've used before is: lutz-->side toe tap-->LFO 3-turn-->flip

singerskates
09-26-2006, 04:51 PM
I'd stay away from jump sequences because they are only worth .8 of a jump combination. At least that's how CPC our Canadian COP works here.

doubletoe
09-26-2006, 04:57 PM
A jump sequence is actually a requirement for the Adult Silver freestyle test, which he is planning to take soon.

techskater
09-26-2006, 04:59 PM
Brigette-A jump sequence is required on the Silver FS test here and you cannot omit something on the test and pass. There's no such thing as an 80% pass. You can change it afterwards to a combo.

I did flip-falling leaf-toe loop for my jump sequence on my Silver FS test and a solo Axel. It was an opportunity to get both out there in front of judges.

doubletoe
09-26-2006, 05:02 PM
BTW, in an Adult Silver *competition*, a sequence is still not technically worth less than a combination, since they are still on the 6.0 system. Still, most judges would probably give more credit to the skater doing the same jumps in combination vs. a skater doing them as a sequence, all other things being equal.

TimDavidSkate
09-26-2006, 05:51 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, I will try every single one of them to see which I am very comfortable with ;)

sexyskates
09-26-2006, 09:15 PM
For my Silver Free Test I did toe loop - 1/2 loop - salchow and it's pretty well foolproof. I use this sequence in interp programs when I have to carry props and am wearing awkward costumes, and it still works. The idea in your case is to PASS the test! Find a sequence that works well for you and don't worry about points.

MQSeries
09-26-2006, 09:37 PM
You should download some of the men freeskate from the 1978 World Championship for jump sequences inspiration. In particular, look at Charlie Tickner, Robin Cousin and Brian Pockar's programs.

Robin Cousin did a crazy sequence of one-foot axel/ one-foot double sal/ one and a half flip/ into 2toe :bow:

singerskates
09-27-2006, 01:06 AM
BTW, in an Adult Silver *competition*, a sequence is still not technically worth less than a combination, since they are still on the 6.0 system. Still, most judges would probably give more credit to the skater doing the same jumps in combination vs. a skater doing them as a sequence, all other things being equal.

That may be so in the US but, if you compete over here in Canada, no matter if you are judge under the old 6.0 system or Skate Canada's CPC, jump sequences are worth only .8 of what a jump combination is worth made up at least 2 one full rotational jumps. We don't count the half jumps over here except for the waltz jump in the technical points. So a loop/half loop/flip is considered only a two jump sequence and worth only .8 of a flip/loop combination. Same # of full rotational jumps but the sequence is worth less. If one wanted to add more jump content and not go over the # of jump windows allowed, then one would add the half jumps without connecting two jumps together. One could add it before or after a single jump or add the half jumps by themselves and it would not be considered a jump sequence or a jump combination. It would just be considered a jump done on its own. Half jumps and others like it, are counted in the second mark. So if you come over to Canada, I wouldn't bother doing jump sequences as part of your jump windows.

Kristin
09-27-2006, 08:09 AM
Tim,

Here are a few sequence suggestions to try:

loop-1/2loop-salchow
waltz-1/2loop-salchow
falling leaf-falling leaf-flip
falling leaf-flip-toe
lutz-loop-toe
flip-falling leaf-(mohawk)-salchow
salchow-toeloop-loop

My coach always thinks up different sequences to keep me on my toes (and sometimes scramble my brains when there are more than 3 jumps in them)!

Have fun!
Kristin

doubletoe
09-27-2006, 01:54 PM
Just watch out for the waltz-half loop-salchow. Since it doesn't begin with a listed 1 revolution jump, it probably wouldn't fulfill the requirement on your test.

doubletoe
09-27-2006, 01:56 PM
That may be so in the US but, if you compete over here in Canada, no matter if you are judge under the old 6.0 system or Skate Canada's CPC, jump sequences are worth only .8 of what a jump combination is worth made up at least 2 one full rotational jumps. We don't count the half jumps over here except for the waltz jump in the technical points. So a loop/half loop/flip is considered only a two jump sequence and worth only .8 of a flip/loop combination. Same # of full rotational jumps but the sequence is worth less. If one wanted to add more jump content and not go over the # of jump windows allowed, then one would add the half jumps without connecting two jumps together. One could add it before or after a single jump or add the half jumps by themselves and it would not be considered a jump sequence or a jump combination. It would just be considered a jump done on its own. Half jumps and others like it, are counted in the second mark. So if you come over to Canada, I wouldn't bother doing jump sequences as part of your jump windows.
Yes, that is true for any competition using IJS, including the adult International competition in Oberstdorf, and any of the local adult competitions where they offer IJS judging for all levels (not just Gold and above).

TimDavidSkate
09-27-2006, 02:08 PM
;) salchow-half-loop-salchow is ok I guess?

mikawendy
09-28-2006, 08:36 PM
Just watch out for the waltz-half loop-salchow. Since it doesn't begin with a listed 1 revolution jump, it probably wouldn't fulfill the requirement on your test.

I was just wondering the same thing. For some reason, I always thought a sequence started with a full revolution jump, but then I couldn't find this in the rule book. TR32.11 from last year's rule book (Adult Silver Free Skate) says "One (1) jump sequence consisting of one-half (1/2) or single revolution jumps."

Anyhow, I once saw a skater at my rink do walley-1/2 loop-double flip. Very neat, even if it doesn't begin with a listed jump!!!

doubletoe
09-28-2006, 09:11 PM
;) salchow-half-loop-salchow is ok I guess?

Yep! That's fine.

NoVa Sk8r
09-28-2006, 11:36 PM
I was just wondering the same thing. For some reason, I always thought a sequence started with a full revolution jump, but then I couldn't find this in the rule book. TR32.11 from last year's rule book (Adult Silver Free Skate) says "One (1) jump sequence consisting of one-half (1/2) or single revolution jumps."

Anyhow, I once saw a skater at my rink do walley-1/2 loop-double flip. Very neat, even if it doesn't begin with a listed jump!!!A sequence is defined as a series of listed jumps linked by unlisted jumps.

To quote (the ISU (http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-152073-169289-64128-0-file,00.pdf)):

"A jump sequence may consist of any number of jumps of any number of revolutions linked by hops, mazurkas and non-listed jumps immediately following each other, while maintaining the jump rhythm (knee). There can be not more than one (1) revolution on the ice between any hop, mazurka, non-listed jump or jump. There can be no crossovers or stroking during the sequence. A jump sequence, consisting of only one listed jump together with other non-listed jumps is not considered a jump-sequence but will count as a single jump.

And specifically listed:
Two jumps connected with a 'half-loop' will be considered as a jump sequence. Reason: a half-loop is not a listed jump." This last distinction is mentioned because (as doubletoe once pointed out?), jumps are allowed to be landed on either foot--that is to say, if you normally land a jump on the RBO edge, it may also be landed on the LBI edge.

The listed jumps must be separated by the unlisted element.
If you did, say, half-loop/salchow/toe loop, that is a jump combo with a special entrance. But toe loop/half-loop/salchow IS a jump sequence.
Under Code of Points, the jump sequence is multiplied by 0.8.

And by the way, USFSA has a new section on its website:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/New_Judging.asp?id=313

I hope it gets populated by many questions and clarifications.

MusicSkateFan
09-29-2006, 08:06 AM
Well the sequence that my coach put in for my Silver free (if I ever get back to jumping) is a Lutz, LFO spiral 3 turn, Flip. Is that a falling leaf? He said it was fine for a sequence? It is in quick timing into the flip? What the *** is that called?

Kristin
09-29-2006, 09:17 AM

Actually, it does meet the requirement of a sequence with 1/2 or single revolution jumps. It's just that by the time you take a "Silver FS test" most people are doing more difficult sequences anyway so you don't see it as much.

And from a judge's perspective, I wouldn't have a problem with that sequence in a Silver FS test situation. Technically, it meets the "sequence with 1/2 or single jumps" requirement. I go by what it says on the test paper. The sequence does not have to *start* with a single revolution jump.

Besides, it's not a bad sequence to have around since you can use it on your GOLD FS test where a 1/2 loop is one of the elements you can do to fill one of the requirements (choice of falling leaf, split jump, or 1/2 loop). :)

Kristin

Isk8NYC
09-29-2006, 09:27 AM
Is that a falling leaf? He said it was fine for a sequence? It is in quick timing into the flip? What the *** is that called?A Falling Leaf (http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_recog/recog_sj_fallingleaf.htm) starts with the same BO edge entrance as a Loop jump. Michelle Kwan excelled at Split Falling Leaf jumps in her Fields of Gold program.

Frumpy
09-29-2006, 11:26 AM
I just passed my Silver FS on Saturday (Sept 23):mrgreen: , and I did a lutz-loop-toe loop as my sequence. It can be 1/2 or full rotation jumps. But, if you do full rotation jumps, you need to do 3 in a row.

My program, in order of elements:

lutz-loop-toe loop
flip
camel - sit spin combo
footwork
spirals
sit spin
split (sort of) into a flip-loop
lutz
camel spin

NoVa Sk8r
09-29-2006, 12:21 PM
I just passed my Silver FS on Saturday (Sept 23):mrgreen: , and I did a lutz-loop-toe loop as my sequence. It can be 1/2 or full rotation jumps. But, if you do full rotation jumps, you need to do 3 in a row.That is not a sequence; that is a 3-jump combination.
You also needed to do a loop jump by itself.
Something is amiss here.

vesperholly
09-29-2006, 12:25 PM
That is not a sequence; that is a 3-jump combination.
Something is amiss here.
I don't know about the loop, but perhaps they counted the split jump into flip-loop as the sequence?

NoVa Sk8r
09-29-2006, 12:28 PM
I don't know about the loop, but perhaps they counted the split jump into flip-loop as the sequence?I was thinking about that, too. (But that still would not technically be a sequence, just a jump combo with a special entrance.)

jazzpants
09-29-2006, 12:36 PM
I just passed my Silver FS on Saturday (Sept 23):mrgreen: , and I did a lutz-loop-toe loop as my sequence. It can be 1/2 or full rotation jumps. But, if you do full rotation jumps, you need to do 3 in a row.Congrats to you, new Frumpy Silver lady!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

(I always like that story behind your screen name. I finally got myself in my state of "frump" last night. Boy, did my body say "THANK YOU!!!" for that!!! Tee hee hee...)

Frumpy
09-29-2006, 01:17 PM
That is not a sequence; that is a 3-jump combination.
Something is amiss here.

Ooops. Sorry. I did the loop on the end of my footwork sequence.

The rulebook does say that the jump sequence can be 1/2 or 1 full rotation jumps. My judges counted it without any question.

Frumpy
09-29-2006, 01:18 PM
Congrats to you, new Frumpy Silver lady!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

(I always like that story behind your screen name. I finally got myself in my state of "frump" last night. Boy, did my body say "THANK YOU!!!" for that!!! Tee hee hee...)

Thanks! :D

I let my nerves get to me a little. I screwed up my footwork a bit, but fortunately it is not specifically a required element.

doubletoe
09-29-2006, 02:37 PM
Ooops. Sorry. I did the loop on the end of my footwork sequence.

The rulebook does say that the jump sequence can be 1/2 or 1 full rotation jumps. My judges counted it without any question.

Congratulations!! :bow:
I think this is the kind of thing where you need to ask your local judges what they would consider as fulfilling the requirement, because I am pretty sure the judges at my club would not have counted it as a sequence and would have asked for a re-skate of that element.

According to the ISU and USFSA technical definitions, a sequence is different from a 3-jump combination in that it has unlisted jumps and/or steps between two or more listed jumps. Here is the exact wording:

A jump sequence may consist of any number of jumps of any number of revolutions linked by steps (not more than 2 steps and no crossovers), hops, mazurkas and nonlisted jumps immediately following each other, while maintaining the jumping rhythm (knee). There can be no more than one (1) revolution on the ice between any hop, mazurka, non-listed jump or jump. There can be no crossovers or stroking during the sequence. A jump sequence, consisting of only one listed jump together with other non-listed jumps is not considered a jump-sequence but will count as a solo jump.