View Full Version : What jumps are you currently working on?

WannabeS8r
09-24-2006, 09:25 PM
Read the title. ^

I am working on my loop (almost got it!!), flip, and lutz (Grr!). :P

What about you?

Skittl1321
09-24-2006, 09:35 PM
I'm working on a bunny hop on my left side and a waltz jump. (Well, a waltz barely can call it a jump)

WannabeS8r
09-24-2006, 09:46 PM
I'm working on a bunny hop on my left side and a waltz jump. (Well, a waltz barely can call it a jump)

Funny thing, I never actually learned to do the bunny hop....My coach said it was dangerous lol. It does help you get used to jumping and the edges and so on, but...I don't know. I just don't like it. :frus:

btw good luck on your waltz jump! :P

froggy
09-24-2006, 09:51 PM
more consistency on the salchow,

working very hard on the loop :cry:

toe loop..1/2 lutz...1/2 flip...falling leaf..1/2 loop and waltz always need some improvement

gt20001
09-24-2006, 11:29 PM
I am working on my flip thought i had it then it disappeared and am trying to find it. getting ready to start on the lutz after my next competition.

luna_skater
09-25-2006, 12:01 AM
Waltz, loop, flip, lutz, and axel. I can do toe and sal, we've just been neglecting them. All my singles are sound; it's just improving quality (height, flow, etc....but they are fully rotated and on correct edges). Axel is the challenge of the day! I do a lot of waltz-backspins, and have progressively trying to get into the backspin position sooner after I leave the ice, so I will rotate more in the air and less on the ice. It's working sloooowly, bit by bit.

NickiT
09-25-2006, 02:55 AM
I have all my jumps to lutz. My coach occasionally touches on the axel but I've done very little on it since changing coaches last year. Once I get the British out the way I guess I must push her to help me work on it once again.

Nicki

rf3ray
09-25-2006, 03:17 AM
Axel, Double Toe and Double Sal,

Sonic
09-25-2006, 05:49 AM
Flip and loop.

The former, I'm pleased to report, was getting consistent last week. The latter I'm falling on a lot, but on the plus side I'm getting more height and they're fully rotated.

S xxx

techskater
09-25-2006, 06:33 AM
Consistency on the double toe in program (can do it consistently when I am not in program) :frus:

Double loop - cleaning up that last 1/4 turn and being able to put it in the program as well :roll:

Double flip - why is this so hard if I can do the loop at least >50%?

Leda
09-25-2006, 06:44 AM
I almost have my wlatz jump mastered, and I am also working on the half flip jump.:D

quarkiki2
09-25-2006, 08:52 AM
Waltz jump (always -- I don't want to take off forwards, grrr!!!)

1/2 loop, 1/2 lutz (I can jump these, not necessarity pretty, LOL!)

Toe Loop, Salchow -- very pretty walk throughs, no jumping yet (Also grrrr!!!)

I have the 1/2 flip down pat. Now working on more height and less of what I call "1/2 trip"

incidental footwork jumps: side-toe-hop, ballet jump, and bunny hop -- all OK

Skate@Delaware
09-25-2006, 10:37 AM
I gave up on the bunny hop (evil, pure evil :twisted: )

Waltz jump...I don't care what anyone says, if you can do a beautiful high waltz jump then you will have beautiful high salchows, toes, and axels.

Salchow...working hard on holding my check and really getting some height

Loop...trying to get full rotation and not 2-footing it or landing on the wrong foot

Toe-loop...always room for improvement on this one as now I'm not picking back far enough AND I'm bending my picking leg while straightening back up again...ARGH!!!!

Flip...haven't done this in a while but recently tried it 8O

jazzpants
09-25-2006, 11:04 AM
Waltz - kick thru higher

Toe jump - No toe waltzing

Salchow - kick thru again and just a higher jump

Loop and flip - land cleanly on the LBO edge. :frus:

Lutz - Rotation is there but it's wimpy and needs more height!!! Otherwise, getting it to land cleanly. (I have the rotation!) :D

CaraSkates
09-25-2006, 11:15 AM
I'm working on the axel. I have strong singles and single combinations but that darn axel....I'm finally getting close with about 1/2-1/4 cheat on the ice...grr if I could just stay in a little longer in the air...I'm getting height now.

EDIT - we started double salchows today! THis is a sign my coach thinks I'll land the axel very soon! 2sals suck so far however....

Mrs Redboots
09-25-2006, 01:00 PM
I'm not, as I prefer dance; Husband is polishing his loop jump, but hopes to get both a flip jump (well, his coach hopes he will - after a bad experience some years ago, he's not that keen), and also a loop as part of a combo. Right now he does a salchow-cherry combination, but he wants a salchow-loop.

Scarlett
09-25-2006, 02:40 PM
Right now my jumps are train wrecks because I have been working so hard on the waltz 8 - I have a mental block but anywho...

Waltz -just trying to get it higher and more open
Loop - have the rotation; just trying to land it on the correct foot
Flip - 2 footed queen

Vicki
09-25-2006, 03:47 PM
Axel, double toe, double sal.

kiwibabe
09-25-2006, 04:37 PM
I'm working on my waltz and salchow jumps, both are pretty much walk throughs.

xofivebyfive
09-25-2006, 04:46 PM
Loop
Toeloop since I learned Flip first and I've convinced myself that it can't be as easy as it is.
And Lutz.. instead of a half lutz.

kateskate
09-25-2006, 05:30 PM
Axel (which I think I've been working on forever!!)

Double salchow- just to make it better quality and never cheated (it sometimes is cheated)

Double cherry and double loop sometimes - they have been neglected in favour of competition routines.

skating_babe11
09-25-2006, 05:58 PM
Double sal.
and
Double loop.

doubletoe
09-25-2006, 06:14 PM
Working on getting the double sal more consistent, and working on getting over the mental block on the double toe. I've landed them plenty of times, but it still takes me forever to work through the mental block and trust myself when I take off.:frus:

slusher
09-25-2006, 08:13 PM
Split jump. What split? :frus:

I find the inbetween jumps extremely annoying but need them to improve the level of difficulty in my program. Like half loops, I can do a loop but not a half loop!

I have everything up to lutz, I might learn the lutz eventually but am not freeskating much these days.

Casey
09-26-2006, 01:44 AM
Lutz. I love it's feeling and landed a couple in the last few months but it refuses to come back and stay...

Pairs Chick
09-26-2006, 04:58 PM
What is a cherry jump?

doubletoe
09-26-2006, 04:59 PM
A "cherry flip" is another name for the toeloop.

itfigures
09-26-2006, 07:03 PM
Waltz - PERFECT! (WOOHOO!)
Toe loop - good but have to remind myself to stop toe waltzing
Salchow - lets put it this way it SUCKS! (haha)
Flip - uhhhh, just ok. could be better
axel/lutz - not yet

what is a Mazurka or ballet jump
I am sopost to be learnig it but I have no idea what it is.
I probably do but don't remember seeing it.
Can anyone give me a viedo clip of themselfs doing it?!

doubletoe
09-26-2006, 07:55 PM
Waltz - PERFECT! (WOOHOO!)
Toe loop - good but have to remind myself to stop toe waltzing
Salchow - lets put it this way it SUCKS! (haha)
Flip - uhhhh, just ok. could be better
axel/lutz - not yet

what is a Mazurka or ballet jump
I am sopost to be learnig it but I have no idea what it is.
I probably do but don't remember seeing it.
Can anyone give me a viedo clip of themselfs doing it?!

A mazurka takes off exactly like a toeloop, but it is just a 1/2 revolution jump, so you land forward on the right toepick (assuming you take off from your left toepick) and use your right toepick to push onto a left forward outside edge. When you pick and take off, your right foot scissors in front of your left foot and turns out so you're sort of leading with your right heel.

Here's a clip of someone doing a mazurka
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbdNDlZ9Dy8

A ballet jump is a little 1/2 revolution hop where you take off and land on the left toe (again, assuming you pick with your left toe for your toeloop). You take off just like a toeloop--backwards from the left toepick--then you do 1/2 turn and land forward on the same toepick, using the toepick to push off forward onto your right foot and glide out of it. Your position in the air should be very ballet-like, so you want to extend and point your free leg. On my ballet jump, I would bring my left arm up and and right arm rounded in front/to the side like an attitude spin position. I couldn't find a video of a ballet jump, unfortunately.

WhisperSung
09-26-2006, 08:04 PM
I'm working on getting my double flip less wrapped (if only I could remember to square off before jumping. . .I land it fine, but squaring off makes it huge).

And. . .double lutz, the last of the "easy" doubles.

At one point I was practicing double axel, triple toe and triple salchow, but those days are past (at least until I pass my novice free!).

tidesong
09-26-2006, 10:19 PM
Working on getting Axel and double salchow less spinny and more consistent....
Working on landing double toe loop and double loop with full rotation.
Working on consistent lutz (as opposed to flutz....)