View Full Version : I'm still skating

Skittl1321
09-21-2006, 07:41 PM
Well, it's been a really long time since I've been on the forum. Life has been exciting and busy for me, but I'm still skating.

This summer my husband and I moved to Iowa and I am lucky enough to live less than 2 minutes drive from the skating rink. (I try to bike there, but sometimes with the skate bag, it's easier to hop into the car.) Unfortunately, this hasn't meant I'm skating more- just spending less time to get to skating. I've been so busy I'm lucky just to take my 30 minute lesson.

I managed to find a job and get started in it just a few weeks after living in Iowa. I work full time as a lead infant teacher at a daycare. Then, once I had a job, the job offers started pouring in. I was offered positions at two different companies, and then a second position at the company I decided not to go with. I've also taken on some extra work, bringing my workload up way past full time. I start my new job Oct 2 and am thrilled. Hopefully my schedule will calm down and I can get more ice time in.

In addition to real work, I've decided to become a demonstrator for "The Angel Company" who sells scrapbooking and rubber stamping items. I love stamping, so I decided to do it for the discount, but then ended up with a customer base. I love TAC, so I'm glad I did it.

But, it's also taking a bit of ice time. (It is however, helping me pay for ice time)

Now about the time I have spent on the ice. I got my new skates, Jackson Competitors, and HATED them. I learned everything before in not good skates and once I got real ones on I could barely hold an edge. I am now learning to love them. I can't skate for more than 45 minutes still without my feet going numb (the toe box is a bit too narrow... it's stretching though, it used to be 5 minutes before I couldn't feel my feet) and I'm slowly getting my skills back- but what I LOVE LOVE LOVE is that with "real" blades under my boots I can spin.

My spins aren't great. I'm definetly a beginner, but I now have a solid two footed spin, and last night I did 2 revolutions of a back spin. I couldn't get a basic scratch spin though...

I'm also getting my edges back, and having real toe picks makes bunny hops a breeze. (Well on the right side, and since I spin CW, I have to learn them on the left now)

I only have one little annoyance. Last spring I took Basic 3-4 and passed through Basic 4. Then in the summer the program I was in was at a different rink and I passed Adult 2. Now, the rink I am at does ISI and I imagine I will pass Delta. They are switching to USFSA, however, and looking over the skills, I think I very well could be put in Basic 5. I'm really hoping that won't happen. It will seem like I spent a lot of time in lessons and moved nowhere (even though I know that's not the case) so fingers are crossed for Basic 6.

I'm also hoping to move to a level with other adults. I hadn't skated with kids before, and unlike ballet with kids- where the classes are very discplined- skating kids drive me nuts!

I hope I'll be around me! Sorry this was so long.

doubletoe
09-21-2006, 07:51 PM
Welcome back! :)
Yeah, my old Jacksons were too narrow in the toe box for me, too. I have duck feet. I'm in SP Teri's now, but they would have been waaay too stiff for me before I was doing all this jumping, so I'm not necessarily recommending them. Have you tried having your skate shop punch out the sides of the toebox to stretch them for you?

Skittl1321
09-21-2006, 08:00 PM
Welcome back! :)
Have you tried having your skate shop punch out the sides of the toebox to stretch them for you?

Seems the logical thing to do- but there isn't one near here. If I make a trip to Cedar Rapids I will bring my skates with me.

The Reidells were all either too narrow (regular) or too wide (wide) for me, and the Jackson's were too wide (wide) and too narrow in the toe (the ones I got) but good in the heel, so I went with them. I know there are other brands out there, but these were the only ones I was really able to be fitted in.

quarkiki2
09-22-2006, 03:46 PM
Yay, Jessi!!!

Welcome back! Hope you are getting everything done that you need to do!

LilJen
09-22-2006, 06:19 PM
Hi there! I am waiting, anxiously, for the day when I live much closer to a rink (right now I'm 45 minutes away, which when you have a 5-year-old and work part-time, really limits ice time!).

I just completed a round of USFSA LTS lessons, and the Adult level basics are actually compressed into 4 levels, rather than the 8 in the kids' program. PM me if you want to know the skills/levels--my coach gave me the whole list a couple of weeks ago.

samba
09-23-2006, 01:37 AM
Welcome back Skit, your story sounds dreamy. Do be careful with the skates though if the toe box doesnt improve you really need to take action, I now have hammer toe from a badly fitting pair, I think doubletoe's suggestion to have them punched out is a good one.

Skittl1321
09-23-2006, 08:36 AM
Welcome back Skit, your story sounds dreamy. Do be careful with the skates though if the toe box doesnt improve you really need to take action, I now have hammer toe from a badly fitting pair, I think doubletoe's suggestion to have them punched out is a good one.

Another voice of logic- I guess I should seek out a pro shop :) But the skates are getting better. They fit "okay" (you know, a little tight, like new skates) when I tried them on, but HORRIBLE once I got on the ice. Now I actually enjoy wearing them, but still can't for a really long time. But since I only skate an hour a week, it's not wonder they aren't completely broken in.