View Full Version : Need advice on a basic two foot spin

sk8_4fun
09-21-2006, 02:25 PM
I know this is about as basic as it gets, but I'm having trouble with a basic two foot spin.:oops: I can manage 1 scratchy revolution but that about it. Our coach shows us two ways: on two feet, curve into a circle getting smaller until you have your feet jammed together and then spin (sounds easy but I just cant seem to get it) or just jam a toe pick in the ice, bend your knee and whizz round.
are there any other ways or tips anyone can give me or is it just practice ?

any help is much appreciated:giveup:

Sonic
09-21-2006, 02:43 PM
Hi skate_4fun

I guess by the toepick in ice method, you mean you start with the free leg toe pick in the ice?

Thats the method I learned, and it works kinda like this: the principle is like the elastic band properlling a model aeroplane. Basically you have to wind yourself in the the opposite direction to the spin, that's what gives the momentum.

Assuming you spin counter clockwise:

Start by standing on the spinning leg with the free leg out to the side and slightly in front. Turn your upper body slightly to the right with your left arm across the body and right arm out - this is the 'wind up' position. When you're ready, swing your arms back in the opposite direction, not too fast. keeing the weight mainly on the spinning foot. Gently pull your arms in up and under towards your chest. You should find this sends you turning (spinning).

Tips: don't try and go too fast at first, and don't worry if you only get one or two revs - you'll get more the more you practice.

DON'T look at the ice (a favourite Sonic bad habbit!)

HTH

S xx

Top tips:

Clare
09-21-2006, 05:21 PM
I guess by the toepick in ice method, you mean you start with the free leg toe pick in the ice?

Thats the method I learned, and it works kinda like this: the principle is like the elastic band properlling a model aeroplane. Basically you have to wind yourself in the the opposite direction to the spin, that's what gives the momentum.

That's method I learned with too. The main thing I find improves my spin is remembering to stay low (ah, the old BEND YOUR KNEES! thing again ;)) because when you come up, you lose your momentum and the spin, sadly, comes to a stop.

Clare

dbny
09-21-2006, 05:36 PM
Here is a method that works well with the kids:

1) Stand with your feet about a foot apart, knees slightly bent

2) Hold your arms out just above waist height like you are holding a huge beach ball

3) Swing the beach ball to one side, turning your shoulder and upper arms to do it, swing to the other side, and swing a third time....

4) On the third swing, let your hips follow your shoulders, and squeeze an imaginary basketball between your knees. Let your knees rise gently as you do this. Your feet should pull in a bit and you should be spinning. You really do have to swing from the waist. If you just deliberately move your shoulders and arms, you won't gain the momentum you need to carry the rest of you around when you release on the third swing. If this is a problem, you can even practice the swinging motion off ice. In front of a mirror is good so you can see that you keep your arms and shoulders level and don't tilt one down or lift one up.

If this and the other techniques you have tried don't work, it's possible that you are not over your blades properly, and you should have someone check that for you. Often, when boots are too big, the skater pronates enough to make spinning difficult, if not impossible.

Try in both directions to find which one feels and works best for you. If you are right handed, usually, you will prefer to spin counterclockwise (CCW), and clockwise (CW).

sk8_4fun
09-22-2006, 03:18 AM
Thanks guys, I shall print these out and take 'em with me on monday. In the meantime i'll practice that off ice (I have a slippery floor) I think part of this problem is fear too!

Thanx

Isk8NYC
09-22-2006, 09:42 AM
The most common problem is feet. Make sure you bring your feet back together after you start spinning. (I teach the kids to "close their legs.") If your feet more than three inches apart, you're not really spinning yet. You should be on the balls of your feet, inside edges not drawing wide circles on the ice.

I teach the two-foot spin this way, assuming you spin Counter Clock Wise (CCW):

Pretend there's an imaginary hockey stick/softball bat/magic wand [whatever works for you] floating in midair to your right side. Grab it with both hands spread out and hold it parallel to the ice on your right side. (Left arm in front, right arm in back.)

Bend your ankles and knees and SWING the [whatever] all the way over to the other side. Your weight will shift around and your hips/feet will follow. This "windup" starts the spin.

To keep the spin going, bring both feet together and stand up very straight and tall. Try to keep your arms across your body to the left. Think of pointing the way you want to spin - CCW!

If you want to start it even faster, do a little right-foot swizzle to "pump" the spin entry. Just be sure to swizzle the right foot back to the left foot so you close your legs.

Once you get the rhythm and feet under control and can do 2-3 revolutions, you can change the arms. You'll have the feeling of rotating your shoulders into the spin.

To make it interesting after a few lessons, I start changing the arm positions in the spin. I've been having great results by teaching a "matador" style position (right hand on tummy, left hand on small of back) before I get to the three-stage "normal" spin arm positions. I have the luxury of time since our groups are ten weeks long.

I don't use the Pivot start, although other coaches do teach it to beginners. Instead, I use the spin skills and lunge position to teach "real" pivots later on.

flippet
09-22-2006, 02:32 PM
with the free leg toe pick in the ice?

Start by standing on the spinning leg with the free leg out to the side and slightly in front

keeing the weight mainly on the spinning foot.

Except that this is a two-foot spin. Ideally, you should have your weight more or less evenly distributed across both feet. I know a lot of skaters that can't seem to 'get' a two-foot spin, though, and so they 'cheat' it by having most of the weight on one foot.

You do, however, have your weight more towards the ball of one foot, and slightly more towards the heel of the other. Slightly.

Of course......it's been a while since I've been on the ice--my memory could be a bit faulty.

Skate@Delaware
09-22-2006, 02:53 PM
Except that this is a two-foot spin. Ideally, you should have your weight more or less evenly distributed across both feet. I know a lot of skaters that can't seem to 'get' a two-foot spin, though, and so they 'cheat' it by having most of the weight on one foot.

You do, however, have your weight more towards the ball of one foot, and slightly more towards the heel of the other. Slightly.

Of course......it's been a while since I've been on the ice--my memory could be a bit faulty.

That is how I do my 2-foot spin....ball of one foot (main foot) heel of the other. I also slightly squeeze my knees/thighs together a little bit, just enough to apply some pressure. It helps me center and rotate faster. Don't straighten your legs stick-straight either, the knees should be soft.