View Full Version : Almost got it down!

Leda
09-15-2006, 09:22 PM
After a month of practicing the waltz jump on the wall me and my friend that goes skating with me tried it off the wall. We actually did it.8O Hers was better than mine but I actually did it! my first jump... landed!!:D I mean I still have to perfect it but at least its a start. now I'm all excited about the next skating session. xP

cEnTaUrrrrrrr
09-16-2006, 12:37 AM
After a month of practicing the waltz jump on the wall me and my friend that goes skating with me tried it off the wall. We actually did it.8O Hers was better than mine but I actually did it! my first jump... landed!!:D I mean I still have to perfect it but at least its a start. now I'm all excited about the next skating session. xP

Is this sarcasm? A month for a waltz jump at any age would be pretty rediculous.

jazzpants
09-16-2006, 12:55 AM
Is this sarcasm? A month for a waltz jump at any age would be pretty rediculous.I got it in after two weeks of doing near a wall when I just turned 32... so I doubt it's sarcasm. (Then again, when I was skating as a little kid, the only jump I had was the waltz jump.)

Congrats to you and your friend, Leda!!! :D

SkatingOnClouds
09-16-2006, 03:17 AM
Nothing like getting your first "real" jump. Congrats.
I don't think the time taken is important. Some people take longer than others, and what you learn fast, I might learn slow and struggle with.

LilJen
09-16-2006, 03:57 AM
Whee!! Congrats, Leda. Isn't that a great feeling?

Skate@Delaware
09-16-2006, 06:36 AM
Go Leda!!!!!!!

A month is great!!! It took me 4 months at the wall 8O I was 42........yeah I feel dumb now. Fear was my enemy then (now it's just laziness <sigh>)...

Congrats!!!!

samba
09-16-2006, 06:36 AM
Well done Leda, I had been skating for almost 2 years before I dared do a jump, I thought I would always do dance, after that, the dance went on the back burner but I do regret not having the odd dance lesson in between.

DallasSkater
09-16-2006, 06:45 AM
Leda: Congrats for getting your first jump! It is just a different perspective for those of us newer to skating. A waltz jump to us is like the feeling of accomplishment that a long term skater has when learning a double! I still have to talk myself into the fact that I am expecting my feet to lose contact with the ice! Kids have no fear and under estimate that bones can really break if they land wrong even in a simple fall. The older the skater starting, the less denial of facts...lol. Good luck to you as you perfect that jump!

Clare
09-16-2006, 07:00 AM
Leda: Congrats for getting your first jump! It is just a different perspective for those of us newer to skating. A waltz jump to us is like the feeling of accomplishment that a long term skater has when learning a double! I still have to talk myself into the fact that I am expecting my feet to lose contact with the ice! Kids have no fear and under estimate that bones can really break if they land wrong even in a simple fall. The older the skater starting, the less denial of facts...lol. Good luck to you as you perfect that jump!

Congrats from me too Leda :) Jumping is a way off for me yet but I'm sure I'll be overjoyed when/if I manage to land one.

Wouldn't it be great to have a little switch in our brains marked "I'm 5 years old and have no fear!" that we could use at times like those?!

Clare

Leda
09-16-2006, 11:46 AM
It wasn't sarcasm, it really did take me a month to get the confidence up to even try it off the wal.:roll: but then again I wasn't spending all my time on that so I don't really care. =P thanks for all you congrats!! :D

Sk8pdx
09-16-2006, 12:52 PM
Go Leda!!!!!!!

A month is great!!! It took me 4 months at the wall 8O I was 42........yeah I feel dumb now. Fear was my enemy then (now it's just laziness <sigh>)...

Congrats!!!!

Don't feel bad S@D, I am right there with you averaging at 4 mos. The harder the element, the longer it seems to take.

Way to go Leda!

Sonic
09-17-2006, 03:34 AM
Is this sarcasm? A month for a waltz jump at any age would be pretty rediculous.

Ooh, NICE way to encourage someone. :roll: :??

I know adult learners that have taken almost that long to leave the barrier, never mind jump.

S

cEnTaUrrrrrrr
09-17-2006, 06:50 AM
I recommend not using the wall and attack the jump, try it out for a week and you'd be surprised what you come out with.

russiet
09-17-2006, 07:44 AM

The neat thing about any skill is that you can always make it better. A year after my first waltz jump my timing finally reached what my coach refers to as the "culmination point". I think it took about 300 plus waltz jumps. Like any jump, when the timing is right, the effort is minimized and the height & distance is maximized. In my opinion, A huge waltz jump is really fun to do and impressive to watch.

There's a very short video of Scott Hamilton doing a waltz jump in a warm-up at this web site: http://oasis.dit.upm.es/~jantonio/personal/patinaje/welcome.htm
Navigate to "jumps" and then to "waltz". Then right click and select "save to file". I forget which media players work (I remember Windows Media Player dosen't).

It's a shame the video doesn't show more of his preparation, but it is HUGE.

The biggest key for me was to pause longer on the LFO take-off edge. Then I could make the launch very deliberate.

Congatulations & keep practicing!

Mrs Redboots
09-17-2006, 08:36 AM
I recommend not using the wall and attack the jump, try it out for a week and you'd be surprised what you come out with.Quite probably, nothing. Many of us need the wall, or the boards, to learn what to do with our bodies, and even once we know, a friendly hand or something just to give us that extra bit of confidence.

I think Leda did extremely well.

russiet
09-17-2006, 09:06 AM
Quite probably, nothing. Many of us need the wall, or the boards, to learn what to do with our bodies, and even once we know, a friendly hand or something just to give us that extra bit of confidence.

I second that!

techskater
09-17-2006, 10:06 AM
I recommend not using the wall and attack the jump, try it out for a week and you'd be surprised what you come out with.

It doesn't work that way for a lot of adult learners. Many adults have this thing called FEAR that they need to work through before being able to move off the wall for an element.

beachbabe
09-17-2006, 11:57 AM
It doesn't work that way for a lot of adult learners. Many adults have this thing called FEAR that they need to work through before being able to move off the wall for an element.

all the wall does is create bad habits. Everyone has fear, but a waltz jump...are you being serious? Most people learn that without even any coaching.

if you decide you want to progress in skating you've got to realize eventually that the wall is actually dangerous. performing any kind of jump or spin close to the wall is putting your own safety in jeoprady...and if thats not enough, it also makes for bad habits.

you'd be much better off just trying sometihng on the ice and falling.

Skate@Delaware
09-17-2006, 12:15 PM
all the wall does is create bad habits. Everyone has fear, but a waltz jump...are you being serious? Most people learn that without even any coaching.

if you decide you want to progress in skating you've got to realize eventually that the wall is actually dangerous. performing any kind of jump or spin close to the wall is putting your own safety in jeoprady...and if thats not enough, it also makes for bad habits.

you'd be much better off just trying sometihng on the ice and falling.
We understand what you are saying, beachbabe, but as adult skaters we need the wall. Our muscle memory takes longer to set up. Our minds need a bit more time to psyche our bodies into doing something. I would say that 99% of us use the wall constructively. There are 1% of adult skaters who never leave the wall. It is a very large step to take.

As far as learning the waltz without coaching...that may be true for a 7-year-old, or a twenty- or thirty-something with some skating or dance experience....but when you get a bit older than that, it's a bit harder to get your body to behave and do what it's supposed to do. It's also more difficult to have that body awareness (i.e. where your different parts are supposed to be during the different phases of the jump). We actually need it spelled out for us in minute detail (especially those of us who are more detail-oriented). It's just the way we work.

That being said, once we do the jumps away from the wall, it's like graduation day!!! It opens up a whole new universe for us! And once we get that first fall under our belt, and survive :lol: , then we are good to go!!! (truthfully, I've had worse falls from just standing or doing moves).

As far as spinning near the wall, it is dangerous and I don't know anyone at my rink that is taught to do it...but they would be cautioned if they were too close.

I occasionally use the wall for technique finessing. It has become a tool.

cEnTaUrrrrrrr
09-17-2006, 01:04 PM
Quite probably, nothing. Many of us need the wall, or the boards, to learn what to do with our bodies, and even once we know, a friendly hand or something just to give us that extra bit of confidence.

If you spent less time on the wall you'd have more time to get everything else...no?

Mrs Redboots
09-17-2006, 01:19 PM
If you spent less time on the wall you'd have more time to get everything else...no?Me? I don't skate at the wall now, although I do occasionally work my mohawks close to the barrier to orient my upper body correctly.

These days, I have a dance partner to hang on to, instead. :lol: :lol:

techskater
09-17-2006, 02:27 PM
If you spent less time on the wall you'd have more time to get everything else...no?

Why are you so discouraging? People learn things in different ways and not everyone is aggressive enough to learn things in the middle of the rink at full speed.

Leda did a great job to finally graduate from the wall on doing a waltz jump. Doesn't matter if it was a minute, an hour, a day, a month, a year or a lifetime, she did it.

I know people who have learned all their single jumps at the boards and as they have gotten more comfortable with each of them has moved progressively away from the wall. I know a coach who teaches the mechanics of spins at the wall. I have been known to work on my B-3-B at the wall to keep my body square and work on the free foot position at a stand still, of course.

sue123
09-17-2006, 03:20 PM
I never learned anything near the wall except for the spiral, and that was so I could have something to hold on to while I'm at a stand still. But when I started group lessons, the coach had us try waltz jumps by the wall, and it never worked for me because I was more afraid of crashing into the wall. But for some people, it helped them. For me, it was just easier to do it away from the wall, but everyone is different. I say congratulations to Leda. As long as she eventually gets away from the wall, it doesn't matter how long she was there for.

luna_skater
09-17-2006, 04:14 PM
I love that people *coughcentaurandbeachbabecough* who have never seen Leda skate think they know what she should or should not be doing. :roll: CONGRATS, Leda. The important thing is that YOU feel like you accomplished something! Bigger and better things to come!

Pairs Chick
09-17-2006, 07:00 PM
What does off the wall mean?

beachbabe
09-17-2006, 10:17 PM
I love that people *coughcentaurandbeachbabecough* who have never seen Leda skate think they know what she should or should not be doing. :roll: CONGRATS, Leda. The important thing is that YOU feel like you accomplished something! Bigger and better things to come!
ask any coach and they would tell you the same thing without seeing anyone skate.

The wall does have its uses- but never for holding on when you jump. You don't need to see someone doing it to know its going to make a bad habit.

of course if that what you want its your personal decision :giveup:

personally I'd rather fall on my butt on the ice than fracture my skull on the wall.

doubletoe
09-18-2006, 12:39 AM

Not everyone is in the same mental of physical condition that you are on the ice, so what seems easy to you may not be easy for someone else. You don't know the age, physical condition or skating experience of the skater who posted this message, so your recommendation might be a dangerous one for her/him.

russiet
09-18-2006, 05:44 AM
What does off the wall mean?

I think *coughcentaurandbeachbabecough* are off the wall.

Isk8NYC
09-18-2006, 08:35 AM
Is this sarcasm? A month for a waltz jump at any age would be pretty rediculous.Centaur - your reply is over-the-top and mocking. If you feel that a post is "ridiculous", may I suggest you not read or reply? If you post again in this manner, moderator action will be taken.

Isk8NYC
09-18-2006, 08:48 AM
ask any coach and they would tell you the same thing without seeing anyone skate. The wall does have its uses- but never for holding on when you jump. You don't need to see someone doing it to know its going to make a bad habit. of course if that what you want its your personal decision personally I'd rather fall on my butt on the ice than fracture my skull on the wall.

Since we're voicing opinions, let me say that, as a professional skating coach since 1994, I disagree with your opinion. From about 10-years of age most new skaters have a true fear of jumps and turns. They're stiff on the ice, terrified of falling and getting hurt. When you become a full-sized adult, it only gets worse. The muscle memory that you had from skipping and jumping rope as a kid really isn't there when you're trying to learn to do a double bunny hop on the ice without a safety net.

As beginners, they're not going to land on their butt. I've never seen anyone (my students or others') slam into the wall while doing tiny waltz jumps and bunny hops while using it as a barre'. The worst that I've seen happen is a student who wrenched a shoulder. Better than the head injury she would have gotten.

I'd rather have a student take an extra month to safely learn a jump by starting with the wall than "go for it" and fracture their skull on a bunny hop. The end result of that method wouldn't be the bounce-back-up-and-try-again of youth; most beginner adults would quit and never come back.

IceAge
09-18-2006, 09:58 AM
The end result of that method wouldn't be the bounce-back-up-and-try-again of youth; most beginner adults would quit and never come back.
So I should feel lucky - I'm 20 but I behave like a 5 year old:P (i'm never afraid and I have quite good muscle memory- learned axel in a week).I think everyone has a different way to learn things and we can't judge it. if someone needs a little more time to learn it, but he finally got it- it's ok.

newskaker5
09-18-2006, 01:28 PM
IceAge - I hear you - I guess Im very lucky too - I couldnt understand why in my adult classes and in my provate lessons everyone makes a big deal about my jumps and what not because they dont seem great to me. But, I have never had any fear and have no problem launching myself into the air on the ice or recovering when I fall, so I guess thats what impressed them. I feel lucky that my former career as a gymnast I can credit this fearlessness with - its not that I dont have any, as a gymnast I had plenty, I guess I just dont feel scared to fall a foot or two when Im used to smaking my head on the beam from a 3-4 foot high layout or crashing to my neck from double backs.

But - for everyone with fear- I used to have the WORSE fear of tumbling on beam and truely - having a spot or a safety net was the only thing that helped me move on and eventually do the skill on my own. So if someone needs the wall to learn a jump - and they arent forming bad habits - then do it. We all have different things that scare us, we just need to realize what will help us get thru the fear.

Oh, BTW - congrats on your jump! Thats terrific!

Mercedeslove
09-18-2006, 02:04 PM
congrats on your jumps! Way to go.

For the rest of you. If you aren't going to say anything nice to her, then don't say anything at all. Every one has a different way of learning. If the wall worked for her, then she can use it. I some times use the wall when I want to make sure I have good form.

Not every one does everything the same way.

Hopefully when you learn a new trick or master something, people will have a much kinder response to your post. If not, then you may want to reflect on your comments in this post.

Isk8NYC
09-18-2006, 02:52 PM
So I should feel lucky - I'm 20 but I behave like a 5 year old:P (i'm never afraid and I have quite good muscle memory- learned axel in a week).I think everyone has a different way to learn things and we can't judge it. if someone needs a little more time to learn it, but he finally got it- it's ok.Feel lucky! Rejoice! JUMP!

However, I think empathy for others is a good thing. I know what that muscle-freezing fear feels like because of my own non-skating fear. That understanding gives me the patience and leadership to encourage others to overcome their fear of jumping. If it involves using tools such as the wall, my hands, or a harness, I'm up to the challenge.

luna_skater
09-18-2006, 10:46 PM
ask any coach and they would tell you the same thing without seeing anyone skate.

The wall does have its uses- but never for holding on when you jump. You don't need to see someone doing it to know its going to make a bad habit.

of course if that what you want its your personal decision :giveup:

personally I'd rather fall on my butt on the ice than fracture my skull on the wall.

Repeat after me....EVERYONE LEARNS DIFFERENTLY. So now not only do you know what's best for Leda, you know what is the best teaching methods for all the coaches in the world? :roll:

Chico
09-18-2006, 11:13 PM
Learning something new is always an accomplishment. Everybody learns different and what is hard for one might not be for an other. If your trying, learning something new, and making progress you have the "right" to feel proud of yourself. If you can't say anything nice....be quiet so someone else can!

Chico

sk8joyful
09-19-2006, 10:35 AM
Everybody learns different and what is hard for one might not be for another. If your trying, learning something new, and making progress you have the "right" to feel proud of yourself.

Learning something new is always an *accomplishment*.

Chico

WELL said! ;) , and Sincere congratulations!, Leda :D

(she says, wondering about us at the Bunny-hop :lol: stage...)

Annie

Skate@Delaware
09-19-2006, 10:58 AM
ooooh, bunny-hops are pure evil!!!! :twisted:

Isk8NYC
09-19-2006, 11:50 AM
I agree - killer bunny hops. Didn't get comfortable with them until I had to teach them multiple times a day!

Back on topic:

Congrats on your achievement!
Hope there are more to come!

Bunny Hop
09-19-2006, 03:59 PM
As my username implies, I actually don't mind bunny hops, but then I've never had a fall on one either. I can see why it would be off-putting.

I'm now trying something which I'm calling waltz hops - i.e. a waltz/three jump so tiny it cannot possibly be classified as a jump (and yes, I'm doing them next to the wall). When I skated as a teenager I could do a small waltz jump - in anti-clockwise direction. So I'm really re-learning them and have some muscle memory. The trouble is that my coach has changed my spinning direction to clockwise, so now I can't work out whether to do the waltz hop in clockwise direction to match my spins (such as they are, but that's another story) or stick with the anti-clockwise which still feels a little more natural.

Now what IS evil are cross behinds (as seen in the Rhythm Blues dance). I'm not convinced I'll ever be able to do those away from the wall!

jazzpants
09-19-2006, 04:14 PM
If you think bunny hops are bad, try doing them going down the length as fast as you can and alternating feet each time!!! :evil: :x (I bashed my knee up badly once doing those...)

WannabeS8r
09-19-2006, 05:43 PM

Is that supposed to be ironic sarcasm...or something?

I got the waltz jump in one public session. You're being ridiculous. (EDIT: Fine, you're being...uh...progressive?)

jazzpants
09-19-2006, 05:44 PM
I got the waltz jump in one public session. You're being ridiculous. People learn the waltz without even taking lessons.Ummm... how old are you???

If you are a kid, remember not everyone learns jumps and spins at the same rate...

WannabeS8r
09-19-2006, 05:46 PM
We understand what you are saying, beachbabe, but as adult skaters we need the wall. Our muscle memory takes longer to set up. Our minds need a bit more time to psyche our bodies into doing something. I would say that 99% of us use the wall constructively. There are 1% of adult skaters who never leave the wall. It is a very large step to take.

You do realize that Leda is 13., not like 40. :lol:

jazzpants
09-19-2006, 05:48 PM
You do realize that Leda is 13., not like 40. :lol:True... but doesn't mean anything. I mean how often does she skate? Is she overweight? Does she have other injuries that may cause trouble? Does she have a strong fear factor? Too many factors to go by...

The point is... shouldn't we cheer for people on their accomplishments, no matter HOW LONG IT TAKES for them to learn it??? It's called "good sportmanship." ;)

ETA: I see that you're 12 on another thread...

WannabeS8r
09-19-2006, 06:05 PM
Lol, ok, I didn't mean to be so "uncheerful", but I am really really mad at my computer right now. Whoever sat there making Microsoft should burn. Don't ask.

Anyway, congratulations. :P Keep practicing it and improve, because it really helps you get ready for the big boys' jumps. ;) hehe

And yes I am 12. I am a "kid". *goes and cries in a dark corner*

jazzpants
09-19-2006, 06:12 PM
Lol, ok, I didn't mean to be so "uncheerful", but I am really really mad at my computer right now. Whoever sat there making Microsoft should burn. Don't ask. That would be a few hundred computer geeks in Redmood, WA -- mostly guys, but some women too. A LOT of people agree with 'ya!!! LOL!!! :lol: (I'm a working computer geek, BTW, but NOT at Microsoft... thank God!!! ;) )

And yes I am 12. I am a "kid". *goes and cries in a dark corner*LOL!!! No need to... just thought you might wanna know that what you said can be taken a different way... ;)

WannabeS8r
09-19-2006, 06:33 PM
That would be a few hundred computer geeks in Redmood, WA -- mostly guys, but some women too. A LOT of people agree with 'ya!!! LOL!!! :lol: (I'm a working computer geek, BTW, but NOT at Microsoft... thank God!!! ;) )

LOL!!! No need to... just thought you might wanna know that what you said can be taken a different way... ;)

Lol yeah I know. BTW, totally off topic....There's this amazing movie about a computer/hacking geek who hacked the Microsoft website and all the authorities praised him for it, singing a salutation song. (LOL!) :bow: I totally cracked up.

Sorry. That was random. ^

beachbabe
09-19-2006, 06:43 PM
Lol yeah I know. BTW, totally off topic....There's this amazing movie about a computer/hacking geek who hacked the Microsoft website and all the authorities praised him for it, singing a salutation song. (LOL!) :bow: I totally cracked up.

Sorry. That was random. ^

did you know that Microsoft hires hackers to put viruses on peoples computers and make them spread so their slaes are good for each new version of windows.

I read about it in some magazine.

*sorry this is way off topic but i had to mention it*

WannabeS8r
09-19-2006, 06:48 PM
did you know that Microsoft hires hackers to put viruses on peoples computers and make them spread so their slaes are good for each new version of windows.

*sorry this is way off topic but i had to mention it*

You know you were sorta right about "the wall". Once when I was trying to do a waltz jump with a wall (a long time ago), I almost sliced it with my skate...LOL

jazzpants
09-19-2006, 06:49 PM

*sorry this is way off topic but i had to mention it*LOL!!! I heard the same McAfee use to hire engineers to create viruses to infect files so we can "sell" an antidote. It's a good story, but trust me, it's far from the truth!!! LOL!!! :lol:

(Disclaimer: I was a former McAfee employee...)

sk8joyful
09-19-2006, 10:58 PM
If you think bunny hops are bad,
try doing them going down the length as fast as you can and alternating feet each time!!! :evil: :x (I bashed my knee up badly once doing those...)

This is exactly what I did my very-first time, skating the Bunny-hop:
"going as fast as you can & alternating feet each time". no less yelling "Weee! This is soo much FUN!! :D"

While my coach was having a canary, lol with: "stop! STOP!!"

me: "oh dear, what am I doing wrong now?, pray tell"

she: "You're supposed to learn them, on 1 foot, 1st. But you are getting good height, on about a third. Good!! :)"

Aah, I luved being air~borne! (sorry, I don't know how else to type the wonderful feeling inside me that session). I treasure that.

Thanks Leda, for letting me share some of my joy...

Annie

Mrs Redboots
09-20-2006, 05:49 AM
Now what IS evil are cross behinds (as seen in the Rhythm Blues dance). I'm not convinced I'll ever be able to do those away from the wall!I was working with someone on these this morning (I do so agree, they are totally evil - mine, even after all these years, are dreadful!). The secret is to BEND YOUR KNEES. No, more than that..... This is the first move you learn that you really need kneebend on.

As for bunny hops, I rather like going down the rink doing them on alternate feet, too, and I once made the Husband do them in a step sequence we were doing. Well, one on each foot, for a step sequence, of course, but even still. Sort of like skipping on the ice.... fun!