View Full Version : Teaching Salchow

itfigures
09-13-2006, 06:04 PM
Hi everyone!
A family friend of mine is trying to learn how to figure skate, she has a couple of jumps down but she is tring to learn how to do a salchow. Unfortunatly she can't afford lessons but, has been teaching herself from those online skating web sights. She has been beging me for the past couple of weeks to teach her the salchow but I am a terible teacher and everytime I try to explain it to her she winds up doing something else. Can anyone give me step by step instructions that I could print out for her??
:bow:

doubletoe
09-13-2006, 06:28 PM
These ISU jump and spin instructional videos would be a nice gift for her:

http://www.skatedvd.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=S&Category_Code=ISU

Tapes 1 & 2 are on jumps, and together they cost just $30.

There are also some decent books out there that don't cost much, like the John Misha Petkevich book for about $10 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Figure-Skating-Championship-Techniques-Illustrated/dp/1568000707

vesperholly
09-13-2006, 07:48 PM
The most important thing with a salchow is to check your left side on the BI edge before the jump (assume CCW jumper). Your right arm and knee should come around and UP to meet your left hand. A solid LFO 3-turn will aid this jump considerably.

Skate@Delaware
09-13-2006, 09:50 PM
The most important thing with a salchow is to check your left side on the BI edge before the jump (assume CCW jumper). Your right arm and knee should come around and UP to meet your left hand. A solid LFO 3-turn will aid this jump considerably.
I'll second this! The 3-turn needs to take it's time and not be rushed; sort of 1-2-turn-1-2-jump timing. If you have a solid 3-turn and it's not spinny that is good. Also, make sure that after you turn it, you deepen your bend in the knees so you can spring up...it's hard to jump on straight legs. I bought the ISU tapes and they are really good for technique.

itfigures
09-16-2006, 06:11 PM
Thankyou Soooo much for your help!
I tried to teach it to her again and got so fustrated that as soon as I went home I bought her the viedos!

Terri C
09-16-2006, 06:40 PM

And do not, repeat, do not whip that LFO3- that does not help.

Skate@Delaware
09-17-2006, 10:14 AM
If you spend tons of time getting the 3-turn down (I know it's boring...it's a necessary evil :twisted: ) then it makes the salchow that much easier and better in the long run....you just can't do a good one if your 3-turn sucks (trust me on this-I'm still in remedial 3-turn school:roll: )

beachbabe
09-17-2006, 12:00 PM
If you spend tons of time getting the 3-turn down (I know it's boring...it's a necessary evil :twisted: ) then it makes the salchow that much easier and better in the long run....you just can't do a good one if your 3-turn sucks (trust me on this-I'm still in remedial 3-turn school:roll: )

definately, my coach use dto make me do the 3-turn and then do a really long glide on that edge before I could jump.

ofcourse you don't actually have to do that when you jump for real, but its a great excercise. Made my salchow way better.