View Full Version : broken bones whee!

Casey
09-12-2006, 03:50 PM
sigh...well I guess it was inevitable eventually - I ran into the boards yesterday and broke my right ring finger at the big knuckle. First broken bone ever...and it makes it quite frustrating to use the computer so I won't whinge for long. I'm just glad I can still skate! I must ask though...what all has anyane else broken skating (and no, I'm NOT talking about blades ;-) )?

Sonic
09-12-2006, 05:07 PM
Ow! Bad luck Casey, wish you a speedy recovery!

S xxx

TreSk8sAZ
09-12-2006, 06:43 PM
Ouch! I'm sorry that happened! Typing really must be a pain, so musn't writing!

As far as broken bones skating, I've broken my left wrist, right hand (that one during finals in college, and I'm right handed!) and I've had a couple stress fractures in my legs.

Note that I'm also a klutz!!!

Hope you heal quickly!

jazzpants
09-12-2006, 07:02 PM
EEEEK!!! And you're working in software engineering too!!! 8O 8O 8O

Hope you heal quickly!!! :cry:

doubletoe
09-12-2006, 07:11 PM
Oh no! Sorry to hear that! I hope you heal quickly! Try to fall to the left for awhile. . . ;)

VegasGirl
09-12-2006, 08:17 PM
Nothing broken yet... knock on wood!!!

Hope your bones mend soon!

mikawendy
09-12-2006, 08:24 PM
sigh...well I guess it was inevitable eventually - I ran into the boards yesterday and broke my right ring finger at the big knuckle. First broken bone ever...and it makes it quite frustrating to use the computer so I won't whinge for long. I'm just glad I can still skate! I must ask though...what all has anyane else broken skating (and no, I'm NOT talking about blades ;-) )?

Sorry to hear about your finger, Casey!! I've jammed my fingers into the boards but not broken them (yet)....

TaBalie
09-12-2006, 09:06 PM
I broke my right arm and wrist last December -- and I wasn't even doing anything interesting! :P

dbny
09-12-2006, 09:24 PM
Sorry to hear of your injury. Do you have a cast or a splint? I broke my right wrist roller skating as a kid, and about 40 years later on ice as an adult. It was a far easier recovery as a kid!

Skate@Delaware
09-12-2006, 09:47 PM
Nope, "knock wood" haven't broken anything....yet. Last year I was learning my flip and I landed wrong and fell onto my hand, which jammed my right ring finger. My chiropractor adjusts it from time to time but I don't wear rings anymore while skating (it was a bear to remove because of the swelling).

dbny
09-12-2006, 09:58 PM
I was wearing an antique gold bangle that I never took off when I broke my wrist on the ice. Luckily, my friend noticed and we got it off right away. Otherwise, it would have been a goner. I haven't worn it much since, and certainly not on the ice.

sue123
09-12-2006, 10:12 PM
Ouchies. Broken bones=no fun. Although I never managed to break anything skating, although I'm sure now next time I go out on the ice, I will.

Sk8pdx
09-13-2006, 12:29 AM
Hi Casey, I hope you heal soon!

Haven't broken any bones as of yet. I am not sure which would be worse a broken bone or a sprained joint. :??

Casey
09-13-2006, 01:07 AM
Sorry to hear of your injury. Do you have a cast or a splint?
No, but I have a high pain tolerance, paper towels, paper clips, rubber bands, and a self-sufficient DIY attitude. ;)

I left the rink to go to a medical clinic, but by the time I got near home (which was on the way), I felt somewhat more ok, so I just wrapped it up and made by own splintlike thingy that's doing the job nicely. I take it off when I sleep and every now and again throughout the day. It's better today than yesterday and mostly unnoticeable unless I accidentally try to bend it or bump it or something stupid...

Casey
09-13-2006, 01:13 AM
EEEEK!!! And you're working in software engineering too!!!
Fortunately, I'm no longer employed by Big Nasty Corporation Which Shall Not Be Named Because They're All The Same Really and am back to just working for my own company. So I'm making peanuts again, but am far happier with the relieved stress and have oodles of time to skate. Plus, my "boss" here is pretty understanding about my finger. ;)

sk8_4fun
09-13-2006, 03:57 AM
Ouch Casey! hope you heal quick. hope it dosn't stop you from holding a medicinal glass of wine!

NickiT
09-13-2006, 05:09 AM
Ouchies! Hope your finger heals fast.

As for me, I've broken my right ankle quite badly (have metal plate and screws there now), left wrist (and I'm left-handed!), and I've suffered a cracked rib. All done on the ice. Yep ice is hard, but skating is so much fun :)!

Nicki

sk8pics
09-13-2006, 05:57 AM
I left the rink to go to a medical clinic, but by the time I got near home (which was on the way), I felt somewhat more ok, so I just wrapped it up and made by own splintlike thingy that's doing the job nicely. I take it off when I sleep and every now and again throughout the day. It's better today than yesterday and mostly unnoticeable unless I accidentally try to bend it or bump it or something stupid...

I broke my finger back in March (not skating but just being stupid off ice:roll: ) and actually I still don't have 100% range of motion. I finally went to the doctor about 6 weeks after it happened and you could see the crack in the x-ray but it had healed in place. He prescribed some Aleve, heat, and some exercises to regain strength and flexibility. The break was in the middle joint of my right middle finger and boy, it is a pain. So my point to you is that self-treatment may be fine, but if it really is broken you do want to make sure it heals properly so you might actually want to see a doctor at somepoint. I still have to wear two gloves on that hand when I'm skating because it just aches if it gets too cold.

Mrs Redboots
09-13-2006, 07:03 AM
sigh...well I guess it was inevitable eventually - I ran into the boards yesterday and broke my right ring finger at the big knuckle. First broken bone ever...and it makes it quite frustrating to use the computer so I won't whinge for long. I'm just glad I can still skate! I must ask though...what all has anyane else broken skating (and no, I'm NOT talking about blades ;-) )?<<<Casey>>>> Owwww, poor you. What a horrid thing to happen.

Hope you heal up soon.

Clarice
09-13-2006, 07:23 AM
Sorry to hear about your injury! I've never broken any bones myself, which is a good thing - a broken finger for a musician would be a professional disaster. I did once break the chain of a necklace I always wear and lost the diamond pendant on it, which was really upsetting because it was the diamond from my engagement ring which I had had reset (can't wear rings when I play - my fingers are too narrow and they spin around and get in my way). A couple of the rink employees and I literally searched through the mountain of zamboni snow with spoons and actually found it! Can you imagine? Anyway, I always get a little leery of trying difficult skills when I have a concert coming up, which is seriously getting in the way of acquiring my axel!

Isk8NYC
09-13-2006, 09:39 AM
Get well soon Casey!

PS - Did you try the WinXP voice tool?

It's fun, if not accurate!

Haven't broken a bone doing anything yet (knock wood), but I'm the queen of stitches!

itfigures
09-13-2006, 02:51 PM
So Sorry to hear about your finger!

Yes I had broken bones on the ice, my left wrist as a kid and my toe (but that was practicing off ice) Luckly for you, you can skate, I am still sitting on the side lines waiting for my toe to heal! :cry: :cry: :cry: ;)

kateskate
09-13-2006, 05:08 PM
Oh dear. Hope it gets better soon!

I've not broken a bone but I whacked my head on the ice in a test from falling after hitting a bump on the ice due to our dripping ceiling and I had to have my head glued. I still have a scar!

itfigures
09-13-2006, 06:27 PM
Your head glued? Like stitches?
Eather way ouch!!!!

NCSkater02
09-13-2006, 07:44 PM
Let's see....left ankle, last January, spinning of all things.

I once caught a softball with my nose and broke it.

And, as a teenager, really did a number on my right arm--both bone compound fracture. Yup, I'm right-handed. My sister transcribed my classwork for a couple of weeks until I could begin to write again. And, yes, it was in sports--gymnastics this time.

Casey--I hope you heal quickly, and like someone said--go see a doctor--at least once.

Casey
09-14-2006, 02:55 AM
Let's see....left ankle, last January, spinning of all things.
Heh, you were the first person to come to mind as I typed this post. :)

Is your ankle fully recovered now??

BelleOnIce
09-14-2006, 05:30 AM
Hope your finger gets better soon!
I am sitting with my left arm all tied up in a splint and a sling thanks to falling at the weekend! Iv managed to fracture a bone just below my elbow but they want to wait two weeks before setting it in a cast because they dont know which position to set it in! Hopefully they wont have to set it coz I have the British Adults in just over two weeks and I really want to skate!
This isn't my first broken bone either;
right arm has been broken 3 times - once on ice, once falling down the last two stairs in my house and the first in a supermarket when I was little!
I also broke my two front teeth when I was skating - now have crowns!
Amongst other things I have had many strains and cuts and well I knocked myself out on the ice just last year!
Doesn't make me sound like a very good skater??? Think I am just accident prone! Most of the time I fall and people think it looks really sore and I just bounce back up but it's always the little falls that cause the most damage!!

Belle x

NickiT
09-14-2006, 06:09 AM
Hope your finger gets better soon!
I am sitting with my left arm all tied up in a splint and a sling thanks to falling at the weekend! Iv managed to fracture a bone just below my elbow but they want to wait two weeks before setting it in a cast because they dont know which position to set it in! Hopefully they wont have to set it coz I have the British Adults in just over two weeks and I really want to skate!
This isn't my first broken bone either;
right arm has been broken 3 times - once on ice, once falling down the last two stairs in my house and the first in a supermarket when I was little!
I also broke my two front teeth when I was skating - now have crowns!
Amongst other things I have had many strains and cuts and well I knocked myself out on the ice just last year!
Doesn't make me sound like a very good skater??? Think I am just accident prone! Most of the time I fall and people think it looks really sore and I just bounce back up but it's always the little falls that cause the most damage!!

Belle x

Eeek. Poor you. I broke my wrist this time last year but pulled out of the British Adults. There was no way I was going to attempt my jumps with a broken wrist in a cast. I did do a tiny bit of skating but it felt all unbalanced and I was so scared of falling and doing more damage that it was just crossovers and edges really.

Nicki

BelleOnIce
09-14-2006, 06:12 AM
Hopefully they wont put a cast on it! I haven't competed in six years and have been working hard all year for British Adults! As long as they dont put it in a cast I am going to skate - even if I dont do all my jumps I am not going expecting to win anyway I just want to take part!

Belle x

NickiT
09-14-2006, 06:16 AM
Hopefully they wont put a cast on it! I haven't competed in six years and have been working hard all year for British Adults! As long as they dont put it in a cast I am going to skate - even if I dont do all my jumps I am not going expecting to win anyway I just want to take part!

Belle x

I can understand where you are coming from. It's very frustrating working so hard and then missing out. Everyone is different and some people manage to skate just as well with such an injury. It wasn't for me though, even though I'm an experienced skater, I just felt very protective of my arm while it was broken and with not having skated a lot over the summer I wasn't at my best for competing anyway. Still, I hope you do well. Which class are you in? Looking forward to meeting you too!

Nicki

BelleOnIce
09-14-2006, 06:19 AM
Im in 4C age cat 1 - I will probably end up leaving out half my jumps but as I said Im just going for the experience and everything! Im going down with 2 friends as well who are both in my group so even if nearer the time I decided not to skate I will still be there anyway! What group are you in?

Belle x

NickiT
09-14-2006, 06:39 AM
Im in 4C age cat 1 - I will probably end up leaving out half my jumps but as I said Im just going for the experience and everything! Im going down with 2 friends as well who are both in my group so even if nearer the time I decided not to skate I will still be there anyway! What group are you in?

Belle x

I'm in 4A, age cat 2. It should be good though I'll probably be my usual bag of nerves on the day!

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
09-14-2006, 10:54 AM

Belle xPoor you! Bad luck.

Mind you, you're not as bad as one skater I know who broke her wrist on the first day of an Adult Skating Camp and refused point-blank to let them put it in plaster, as she wanted to go on with the camp. She was back on the ice next day in a splint....

NCSkater02
09-14-2006, 02:55 PM
Heh, you were the first person to come to mind as I typed this post. :)

Is your ankle fully recovered now??

Gee, thanks.....I think.

It's fully recovered now. It's still a bit bigger than the other, but I don't think anybody but me realizes that unless I point it out. My boot has remolded to it--at first it was laced way wider than my other foot. I don't have any pain with it, and for the most part forget about it (unless I'm trying on sandals)

Casey
09-14-2006, 04:08 PM
Gee, thanks.....I think.

Sorry I didn't mean to give the wrong impression, just haven't been to active around here and you were the last person I remember hearing about breaking anything.

I felt awful reading about it, because to be a skater without a working ankle has got to be tough. Anyways I am happy to hear you healed up nicely!

kateskate
09-14-2006, 06:55 PM
Your head glued? Like stitches?
Eather way ouch!!!!

Yep it was glued - an alternative to stitching - stitches would have scarred more. It still scarred anyways.