View Full Version : ooohhh the pain of new boots!

sk8_4fun
09-12-2006, 08:21 AM
Well at last, today I got my new skates. They SO stiff! I managed to wear them for about an hour but they feel really wierd, they really are going to take ages to break in. any body got any tips for making them more bearable?

(They are gam Ultra 095's)

Mrs Redboots
09-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Poor you! Just skate in them as much as you can. Wear thin socks - nylon pop socks are ideal, not sports socks, whatever you do. Take lots of refreshing foot spray and peppermint foot lotion (does the Body Shop still do that? I have a feeling it doesn't, but then, it is so Not What It Was!), and some Scholl (or Boots' best) blister plasters.

When you do up your skates, leave them fairly loose across the footbed for now - not loose loose, but don't pull them really tight. Then pull them tight at your ankle, and then loosen off again as you go up the hooks. Many people leave the top hook unlaced during this first week.

Just skate and skate and skate - don't do anything more exotic than just plain vanilla stroking, both forwards and backwards.

You can also wear them (with guards) off the ice at home or at the office (careful!), but skating is best. I imagine they are heat-mouldable, but it's not really worth doing that until you've skated them in for a bit.

This time next week they'll probably be feeling a lot more like "your boots", and in a month they'll be bedroom slippers!

sk8_4fun
09-12-2006, 01:44 PM
ta, mrs RB, I will arm myself with blister plasters!

watch this space for the next crippling installment!

itfigures
09-12-2006, 02:42 PM
This is SO funny! I just got a pair of mew skates and had the same problem! What I highley suggest is to put on your boots as if you were to wear them and walk arround out side with them on. Do a few bends with your knees and ankles and try to lean from side to side. Yeah it sounds really weird but it helped the "breaking in" period go a lot faster! The only other advise I can give you is to be prepared for blisters!

Happy skating!
and good luck with your new boots!
:halo:

Sonic
09-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Hi sk8_4fun and itfigures...as you may have noticed from one of the other threads, I also got new boots last week. They're gradually wearing in, the left one isn't too bad but the right one oWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Put it this way, I have a nice hole forming on the ankle, and thinking about buying shares in Scholl blister pads.

I've ordered some bunga pads from E-bay, they can't come soon enough!:giveup:

S xxx

VegasGirl
09-12-2006, 08:14 PM
I imagine they are heat-mouldable, but it's not really worth doing that until you've skated them in for a bit.

How do you figure that?

If they are heat-moldable by all means have them molded... difference between night and day!!!

beachbabe
09-12-2006, 09:32 PM
How do you figure that?

If they are heat-moldable by all means have them molded... difference between night and day!!!

i agree, heat molding helps alot. I havn't had a hard time breaking in boots that i got heat molded, but had a nightmare with ones that i wasn't sure if they were heat moldable and had to put up with the pain.

If you can...do it!

Skate@Delaware
09-12-2006, 09:38 PM
I'm still waiting for my boots to come in...then I can join the club. My others never bothered me because they never were really fitted correctly-much too big! There are three girls at my rink in new boots (and in pain). Sounds like peak season for bunga pads! Maybe I should order mine now (before they sell out!)

Hope you are out of misery soon!

Mercedeslove
09-12-2006, 11:27 PM
I had my Jacksons heat molded when I bought them (At Rainbos)

Even then I had to leave the top two hooks undone for a while.

A few weeks ago I moved to just leaving the top hook undone.

sk8_4fun
09-13-2006, 03:51 AM
Thanks for all your advice. I have had them heat moulded which helped a bit. I sat and watched TV with them on too just to warm them up a bit. It did help, but nothing prepares you for trying to actually skate in them!!!:?? I will try leaving the the top row undone when I skate tommorow. Luckily they dont pinch. They seem to hold my heel in a vice like grip, and my foot is solid without being tight as such and I can wiggle my toes. I'm sure I'll get used to it but my old boots feel really sloppy in comparison. My coach says I should put the old ones in the back of the cupboard and forget them:cry:

VegasGirl
09-13-2006, 06:07 AM
I have the opposite problem, my new boots eventhough they are the same size and same manufacturer fit much looser (though heat-molded unlike the old ones) than my old ones. I probably will have them molded again after wearing them some more and hope that will tighten them up a bit... as it is I have to really cinch down on the laces.
Maybe you could get yours molded again but this time wear thicker socks or maybe even two pairs.

beachbabe
09-13-2006, 05:33 PM
I had my Jacksons heat molded when I bought them (At Rainbos)

Even then I had to leave the top two hooks undone for a while.

A few weeks ago I moved to just leaving the top hook undone.

you think thats bad...I switched to sp teri's 3 months ago approximately and i got super deluxes. I'm still not doing up the top 2 hooks and I've been doing doing doubles throgh flip in them for 3 months. I can tell they're gonna last since they are not painful but definately not broken in.

sk8_4fun
09-14-2006, 08:01 AM
Well, my boots were much better today. They are still giving me cramps but after reading your posts, I feel fortunate that they don't rub, and I dont yet have any blisters, even after wearing them for over 2 hours today! so its just going to be a matter of time before they soften up a bit. On a positive note, the Coronation aces are so much better than my old blades, and i even have a right outside edge which I never had before! this is giving the confidence boost I needed so I'm really pleased.

Oh, and thanks Mrs Redboots, I wore really thin cotton socks and left the top hook unlaced, and after the first 20 minutes they were more bearable for sure!