View Full Version : Total time spent skating

sue123
09-11-2006, 02:24 PM
I'm filling out a secondary application, and one of the things they want to know about are your sports and hobbies, so of course I'm going to say skating. They also want to know the total hours you've done this to date, and when I calculated it, I had no idea it was that much. Kind of surprising. I don't know what I will do when I calculate the hours spent on my music, I've been doing that since I was 4 :lol:

Rusty Blades
09-11-2006, 02:30 PM
Well I started skating about January 20 this years and hit 100 hours ice time by August 15. That is ONLY ice time. I quit keeping track of the hours at the end of Summer School (106 hours).

phoenix
09-11-2006, 02:39 PM
Rather than adding it all up 8O can you just put in something like "10 hours a week for 13 years" ?

Isk8NYC
09-11-2006, 03:06 PM
I'm filling out a secondary application, and one of the things they want to know about are your sports and hobbies, so of course I'm going to say skating. They also want to know the total hours you've done this to date, and when I calculated it, I had no idea it was that much. Kind of surprising. I don't know what I will do when I calculate the hours spent on my music, I've been doing that since I was 4 :lol:Do you think they mean "total hours" since inception, or recently? Just seems like an odd question to me. I couldn't even begin to estimate it since it's irregular. Some weeks I skated 20 hours, others not at all.

Why not ask for years/months? To prevent people from claiming activities they just started last week, I guess. (Or are planning to start the day after the interview.) :twisted:

sue123
09-11-2006, 03:23 PM
Do you think they mean "total hours" since inception, or recently? Just seems like an odd question to me. I couldn't even begin to estimate it since it's irregular. Some weeks I skated 20 hours, others not at all.

Why not ask for years/months? To prevent people from claiming activities they just started last week, I guess. (Or are planning to start the day after the interview.) :twisted:

They said, and I quote: To the best of your ability, estimate the total number of hours you spent participating in each activity over the duration of your lifetime involvement. I an activity you list is ongoing, leave the end date blank and record only the number of hours to date.

I just took when I started, figured out how many weeks it was, multiplied by what I usually skate, then took off a couple hundred hours. You can't put it in hours/week format because it's one of those fill in boxes that doesn't have enough room. For my music, I just said 10,000 and left it at that. Sorry, I'm going to count 17 years of playing piano and figure out how long I've played. Also, when I first started, I wasn't practicing for nearly as long as when I got older. Same thing with skating. Oh well, it's just an estimate really.

Award
09-11-2006, 07:22 PM
I'm filling out a secondary application, and one of the things they want to know about are your sports and hobbies, so of course I'm going to say skating. They also want to know the total hours you've done this to date, and when I calculated it, I had no idea it was that much. Kind of surprising. I don't know what I will do when I calculate the hours spent on my music, I've been doing that since I was 4 :lol:

Just give rough values and add an uncertainty to it, like they do for nostradamus predictions. Eg 20,000 hours +/- 10,000 hours

itfigures
09-11-2006, 08:21 PM
ha ha!
I don't even want to think about that! I'll find out that I have been spending my whole life at a ice rink!:P
I usually spend 10 hours skating (thats JUST fir, sat, sun)

Pairs Chick
09-11-2006, 08:21 PM
since i got serious with skating
25 hours a week x 2

doubletoe
09-12-2006, 12:17 AM
Yes, it really is an odd question, and nobody could give an accurate estimate, so just have fun with it.

By the way, how many hours did you calculate you've skated??

Now that you got me thinking, I just did an estimate of my total skating hours and came up with 1700 hours. Hmm. . .!

sue123
09-12-2006, 09:23 AM
Yes, it really is an odd question, and nobody could give an accurate estimate, so just have fun with it.

By the way, how many hours did you calculate you've skated??

Now that you got me thinking, I just did an estimate of my total skating hours and came up with 1700 hours. Hmm. . .!

I calculated some strange number, but I just rounded it to 1500. I figured, I've been doing this seriously for about 3 years, during the school year I skated less, during the summer I skated more, then I had took a month off when I went to Israel one summer, and 2 months just now when I went to Europe. Although now that I think about it, it's actually probably less then 1500 because I had a fair share of injuries that kept me off for some time as well, like my concussion and knee injuries. My knee kept me off for I think 2 months as well. Oh well, I don't think they really care all that much.

sk8_4fun
09-12-2006, 09:46 AM
I'm a skating baby then, I've only clocked up 60 hours! I started in march but had 6 weks off for a knee injury and 8 weeks off for the summer hols. so that makes about 12 weeks x 5hrs. 60hrs! I'm quite pleased with what I have acheived in that time:lol:

Mrs Redboots
09-12-2006, 11:16 AM
Hmmm - I've been skating for over 11 years, so if you said an average of 6 hours a week for 11 years, that works out as about 3,400 hours! Given that 1 week is 168 hours, that works out as over 20 weeks' solid skating!

LilJen
09-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Wow, I've only really done maybe 60-70 hours since taking lessons years ago (took lessons, then stopped & had dd, then started again in June). Did a fair amount of casual public skates (no lessons, but dad is a hockey player) over the years so that's given me additional comfort just being on the ice. Wish I could get more hours in. . .

luna_skater
09-13-2006, 12:17 AM
Oh my goodness, that could take me all day. Let's see, been skating for 20 years, once a week during the winter when I was younger, more when I started synchro, almost every day one summer, three days a week currently...Good grief.