View Full Version : Open for Business or Shut Down Sept 11-17

jazzpants
09-11-2006, 02:14 PM
I started this lesson thread given that my home rink is still shut down for repairs! :cry:

Shut Down:
My home rink... have to continue going to my alternate weekend rink to skate. Will probably go tomorrow since I already skated Sat and Sun. and need a rest!

Open for Business:
Probably Thursday for my weekend rink.

(ETA: Nope!!! It's closed all week...pretty much all the way to Saturday at least. My coaches are gonna try and arrange times for lessons at an alternate rink. I hope I get in a timeslot with BOTH my coaches. WAAAAAH!!! I really need a lesson!!! :cry: )

doubletoe
09-11-2006, 04:19 PM
Oh, bummer, Jazz. :( Come down and skate here! :D

Open for Business

Yesterday I skated for 3 hours and had such a productive practice! I also had the best program run-through yet with my new program, and the highlight was finally landing the double sal clean in the program! Woo hoo! :D I also completed my opening combo spin and my flying camel-back sit very nicely. That was a big relief since I had totally embarrassed myself on the flying camel-back sit in my competition last weekend, ending up with my butt on the ice!
Even though the double toe is still weirding me out, I did land a few and I figured out a few things that I think will make it more consistent. I also figured out how to get a more solid sitspin entry right out of a jump landing, which is great since that's exactly what I have to do at the very end of my 2:40 program and I had had trouble on it in my competition last week.
MIF practice went fine. I'm not quite there yet on all the Intermediate MIF but I am edging closer.

Shut Down:
I still have this annoying tightness in my left glute/piroformis that takes forever to loosen up whenever I skate. I stretch it out religiously (owwww!) but it just snaps back to being tight before too long. I finally went to physical therapy for it this morning. We'll see if this new stretch the PT gave me is any more effective than the ones I've been doing. Fingers crossed. . .

jazzpants
09-11-2006, 05:43 PM
Oh, bummer, Jazz. :( Come down and skate here! :DDon't tempt me!!! I would have love to get lessons with your coach too!!! :twisted: :P :lol:

Shut Down:
I still have this annoying tightness in my left glute/piroformis that takes forever to loosen up whenever I skate. I stretch it out religiously (owwww!) but it just snaps back to being tight before too long. I finally went to physical therapy for it this morning. We'll see if this new stretch the PT gave me is any more effective than the ones I've been doing. Fingers crossed. . .OWWWW!!! What a pain in the butt!!! (Sorry! I know! I know! *groan*) :lol: :twisted: Let me know if those works. I might need something better myself. (I have similar issues too...)

doubletoe
09-11-2006, 05:58 PM
Oops, I misspelled "piriformis" didn't I? :p
Anyway, here's the glute stretch she's having me do (for me, the problem is in my left glute, so I put the left heel on the chair):

- Stand in front of a padded chair or something else lower than hip height.
- Put the heel of your foot on the chair and straighten your leg.
- Stick your butt out and hold for 20 seconds.
- Relax a little, but keep the leg locked straight, then press your heel down into the chair for 15 seconds.
- Repeat the whole thing 3 times.

NCSkater02
09-11-2006, 06:15 PM
I'm only gonna do Open for Business, and for one thing only. As a member of the "I'm never going to do a scratch spin" club, I did do one Saturday with my free foot crossed over, and two revolutions. Today, I did one that was four revolutions but the free leg was horrible. Both were lunch plate sized and perfectly centered. Of course, since I wasn't in lesson, and my coach wasn't there, she saw neither. I did get witnesses to look at the tracings to back me up.

I guess I could use Shut Down for the other kajillion spins I tried to do.:frus:

Terri C
09-11-2006, 06:28 PM
Open for Business:
It's official- I now have another spin to work on practice - sit change sit or some may know it as sit backsit. The transition is going to be a pain!
Five step mohawk sequence was wide open, complete with clearance sale!!

Shut down:
Again, again AGAIN I was on a outside edge on the forward power perim stroking!!:frus:
Secondary coach had me hold my right arm back on the undercut before stepping over and it worked. Now I need to remember that!

kateskate
09-11-2006, 06:34 PM
Open for business
Compulsories feetwise felt better (arm movements still need a lot of work). And did one decent programme run through of free dance. Spins felt a bit better too.

Shut down
There was a nice level of tension at the rink today. New teacher started and one of the old teachers doesn't deal well with change. He was not best pleased. Didn't say anything but if looks could kill. So everyone was a bit on edge. And there were a lot of people on the ice not looking where they were going. And my usually calm and laid back dance teacher got slightly cross in my second programme run through as about 5 people got in my way at various points and I stopped or skated round them (quite unusual for me) and when I'd finished he told me that he was going to give me 2 words of the best advice 'Excuse me'. He rightly said my music was on and I was in a lesson and there is no harm in alerting someone that you are coming their way so they can move. Instead I adjusted round them and consequently didn't get a clean run through. I just don't want to appear bossy and too big for my boots.

Also let myself get worked up about a non ice skating issue and it affected my skating. I was distracted and erractic. Not good. Dance teacher had to calm me down as I was in danger of launching into a camel spin frenzy. I hate it when off ice stuff affects skating. I don't usually let it happen

skating_babe11
09-11-2006, 06:42 PM
Open For Business:

First day of skating today! It felt so good to be back on the ice and talk will all my friends.

Shut Down:

Im pretty sure i need a hip replacement from falling a million times on my hip from doing the dreaded axel!

icedancer2
09-11-2006, 06:45 PM
Only open for business today: All of the kids have gone off to school and we're back to our lovely "adult-only" skating mornings. Yea, yea, yea.

I'm able to do complete, big run-throughs of Moves, dances, parts of dances, work on figures, whatever. Very little negotiating with this group. We all know each other really well and where we fit in to the skating spectrum.

Also primary coach was back in town and was able to give me some time. She always has the answer for any problem: the problem usually starts in the steps BEFORE the move -- ie., if you don't finish one lobe correctly, the next part won't happen right. I LOVE her!!

Where is that happy dance smilie when you need it. Oh, here it is! (hey, how do I attach this directly? I know there is a way...)

http://degiorgi.math.hr/forum/images/smiles/Dancing-Chilli.gif

jazzpants
09-11-2006, 07:01 PM
Only open for business today: All of the kids have gone off to school and we're back to our lovely "adult-only" skating mornings. Yea, yea, yea.

I'm able to do complete, big run-throughs of Moves, dances, parts of dances, work on figures, whatever. Very little negotiating with this group. We all know each other really well and where we fit in to the skating spectrum.

Also primary coach was back in town and was able to give me some time. She always has the answer for any problem: the problem usually starts in the steps BEFORE the move -- ie., if you don't finish one lobe correctly, the next part won't happen right. I LOVE her!!

Where is that happy dance smilie when you need it. Oh, here it is! (hey, how do I attach this directly? I know there is a way...)

http://degiorgi.math.hr/forum/images/smiles/Dancing-Chilli.gifYou mean this? http://degiorgi.math.hr/forum/images/smiles/Dancing-Chilli.gif

In the edit box, click on the button that looks like a mountain and sun, there will be another popup window. Copy-paste the link to it and click OK. Voila!!! :mrgreen:

icedancer2
09-11-2006, 07:24 PM
Thanks -- I like a lot of these, so maybe I will also add:

http://degiorgi.math.hr/forum/images/smiles/pianodance.gif

Rusty Blades
09-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Shut Down! Problems at the rink delayed the start of the figure skating session and left the ice in terrible condition. A hockey game just before us broke one of the sheets of glass and they didn't bother to telll anyone there was glass all over the ice. The Zamboni driver ran over the glass and it plugged up the Zamboni. By the time he got it working again, he was "surfacing" the ice at 30 miles an hour! There were spots that didn't get any water and he didn't shave the ice AT ALL. I think the hockey game was conducted in Sherman tanks because there were ruts you could loose a small dog in!

Open For Business (A half an hour late!) In the first hour, I worked on everything again and particularly 3-Turns, back Mohawks, and stringing turns together. Ok, 3 half-turns in quick succession make me a little dizzy, FIVE make me substantially dizzy! I worked a lot on CCW back Mohawks (since they are the ones that don’t work) and a LOT of 3-Turns, all variations, trying to keep my free foot off the ice. I spent more time on whichever direction seems the most difficult.

I spent the last half hour with my coach and WE ran through everything I have learned yet again and moved into forward Mohawks. Ok, I am starting to catch on to those!

A descent session. Progress continues slowly but in the right direction.

SkatingOnClouds
09-12-2006, 03:58 AM
Open for Business:
had a couple of good skates. Went to an evening session last night cos I can't go to my usual Wednesday night session this week. It is a session for adults and teenagers, and had a completely different feel to the other sessions.

Did a couple of good flips early in the session, one had real height and observers said it looked correct and good. Woo-hoo! Was happy with the progress of my loops too.
Camel spins are making steady progress, as are back sits.

Shut Down:
my upright, scratch, change-foot and backspins were all over the place last night, couldn't centre at all. Despite working on backspins from 4 different entries (standing push start, back pivot, inside edge, change from forward spin), they remain a string of little 3 turns instead of circles.

Towards the end of the session the coach had our group working on flips. I shouldn've known better - at the end of a session I haven't got the energy or focus left and I try not to do jumps then - but I had a go. Not sure whether the botched jump broke the lace or the lace caused the botched jump, but it snapped at the top of the boot. I've never seen that happen to anyone before, I was stunned. Needless to say, that was the end of my session.:roll:

Mad panic to get new laces, the rink didn't have the 3.10metre laces my Grafs take. Fortunately an online accessory store had them in stock, so I should get them tomorrow.

Only other real downer apart from a new collection of grazes, cuts and bruises, is that I don't get to skate again now until Saturday.:cry:

AndreaUK
09-12-2006, 04:16 AM
Shut Down

For sure!!! I have sold my ice skates on e-bay and it may be a few weeks before I can upgrade to the Risport RF3 with Coronation Ace blades. So I will not skate now I reckon for about a month at least.
After having my face plant its taking a while to heal up, Im still restricted to liquids through a straw :( Why does it take such a long time to heal up when your an adult.

Andrea xx

Mrs Redboots
09-12-2006, 07:23 AM
<<<Andrea>>> Get well soon!

Open for business: Good lesson this morning. Coach likes our drag - husband's drag, I'm just posing (can't do drags!), although we had to change the hold so that we could do the next bit. Think it will work - we were able to run through it once to the music and the coach said it looked better. And he gave the Husband a correction in our spin, and not me.....

Shut down: Couldn't do the lift, though, as the Husband reckons he pulled a muscle in his back on Sunday, canoeing. He keeps on pulling muscles - I think he has to remember that he is going to be 56 in December and can't do the things he used to......

Didn't do much solo practice, mostly chatting!

sk8_4fun
09-12-2006, 08:27 AM
open for business

This morning I had my first 'Dance' lesson and I am learning the canasta tango. I'm so enjoying putting steps together and everything, I think I'm going to enjoy it. Also got my new skates. They are awsome- I actually have right outside edge that I could never get with my old skates- which incidentally, now feel like old slippers!

shut down The new boots hurt like hell but I know I have to persevere8O

samba
09-12-2006, 11:11 AM
Open for business: Good lesson this morning. Coach likes our drag - husband's drag, I'm just posing (can't do drags!), although we had to change the hold so that we could do the next bit. Think it will work - we were able to run through it once to the music and the coach said it looked better.

Have you tried doing the drag with hubby in kilian hold? maybe it would give you the feel for it.

And he gave the Husband a correction in our spin, and not me.....

Tee hee!!:lol:

Shut down: Couldn't do the lift, though, as the Husband reckons he pulled a muscle in his back on Sunday, canoeing. He keeps on pulling muscles - I think he has to remember that he is going to be 56 in December and can't do the things he used to......

Canoeing??? I wouldnt even consider it, no wonder his back hurts.

Didn't do much solo practice, mostly chatting!

Think of the poor deprived people in Peterborough.

Samba

Mrs Redboots
09-12-2006, 11:24 AM
Have you tried doing the drag with hubby in kilian hold? maybe it would give you the feel for it.My legs just don't do that - I know what to do, I just can't do it. He can only do it on one side, incidentally.

Canoeing??? I wouldnt even consider it, no wonder his back hurts.Well, he thinks it was from helping someone shift a large rubber motor-boat about.... all I know is that it's the third muscle he's complained of in as many skating sessions. Coach has a Back of his own so is sympathetic about backs in a way he isn't about sore legs, which he is inclined to think shows you've been working.

Think of the poor deprived people in Peterborough.
And Yerba Buena (spelling?!). On the principle of poor starving children in Africa, you mean?

Sonic
09-12-2006, 05:17 PM
Shut down

There is still a hole in my right ankle and it really hurts :cry:
I've 'forgotten' how to centre spins

Open for business

Foot pain seems to be lessening
Jumps are coming back..well, sort of. Coach actually praised my dreaded Salchow

Despite the fact I've been skating quite poorly for the last couple of sessions, I feel positive(ish) again about skating.

I Think I'm finally learning to stop beating myself up for being rubbish/not making enough progress/no good compared to so-and-so...etc... and just get on with skating....

S xxx

LilJen
09-12-2006, 05:36 PM
Open for business. . .

-skated for the first time in nearly 2 weeks. My, was I rusty! Fortunately, both times I fell were right on my soft rear end, so no more bruises for the knees and elbows.
-got some good drilling in on the salchow, which was introduced last time I skated. I'm still not ready to get up into the air, but I'm getting used to the feel of the takeoff and the rotation.
-As with previous midday public session, very very few people on the ice so I could do all kinds of stuff (crossovers in both directions across the two circles, FW crossover/mohawk/BW crossovers pattern and such). Love it when school is in session!

Shut down:

-Ice was rotten yesterday, which did not help aforementioned feeling of rustiness.
-I'm awfully tired. Whether it's just from the body getting used to the new routines of getting dd to school & daycare, etc or a particularly wearing project at work over the last couple of weeks, who knows? I have a feeling my progress overall is just going to be slow, because it's very rare that I can skate more than once a week, for 1.5 hours at most. So, see you at Adult Nats in, say, 2009. . .:??

jazzpants
09-12-2006, 07:12 PM
Open for Business:

EMPTY public session at my alt. weekend rink again. Well, okay, I had a hockey guy in the rink with me... and I left when the pre-schoolers started coming in...
Getting some progress with this backspin exercise that my secondary coach showed me. I'm at least getting on the BO edge in the "stork" position. Now I have to STAY there!!!
Flips are making some progress. I did land a couple today!!! :mrgreen:Shut Down:

Loops and most of my flips.
I did my Bronze Moves for warmup!!! Since the rink was pretty empty and there's no music playing on the loudspeakers, I can hear EVERY SINGLE ONE of those GOD AWFUL toe scratches!!! :oops: :evil:

Rusty Blades
09-12-2006, 08:41 PM
I can hear EVERY SINGLE ONE of those GOD AWFUL toe scratches!!!

Awe Jazz, are you telling me they don't just "go away" all by themselves!!?? I am disillusioned!

tidesong
09-12-2006, 09:15 PM
Open for business:
Some spins I guess... it was a rather blah day for skating

Shut Down:
The ice was thin, wet I couldnt feel my edges. I got my usual jumps in but nothing very great about the practise. Was trying to concentrate on footwork into jumps... I realize that with footwork, I have problems maintaining speed into the jump, and also keeping the height of the jump similar to without footwork entry. :frus:

jazzpants
09-12-2006, 09:26 PM
Awe Jazz, are you telling me they don't just "go away" all by themselves!!?? I am disillusioned!:lol: (Yeah, sad isn't it???)

I'll better keep practicing those Bronze Moves as warmup. Maybe someday I can do forward power 3's as beautifully as Phil does them in that "Adult MIF Tips and Common Errors." video... NOT!!! :twisted: :roll: :P

To Phil: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Skate@Delaware
09-12-2006, 09:35 PM
:lol: (Yeah, sad isn't it???)

I'll better keep practicing those Bronze Moves as warmup. Maybe someday I can do forward power 3's as beautifully as Phil does them in that "Adult MIF Tips and Common Errors." video... NOT!!! :twisted: :roll: :P

To Phil: :bow: :bow: :bow:
I'm glad for the vids!!! We have a pair of adult ice dancers that make even the basics like gliding look so beautiful and easy.....when people make it look effortless it is a sight to see and it just makes me work that much harder (and realize how much work I have to do!)

Sk8pdx
09-12-2006, 11:34 PM
Shut down:
jump plateau. nothing more to say about that. :cry:

Open for Business:
Had a lesson today. Worked on Bronze moves. Alt. Back Crossovers to Back Outside Edges made more sense after todays lesson. I think this is my weakest move (yes, even worse than power 3' s believe it or not) Love 5 step mohawks. It keeps getting better and better. Started my new program today and went over a little of the choreography and footwork --oh my!
Did a fine attitude spin today.... just treading along the journey on my way to a beautiful layback someday.

samba
09-13-2006, 01:13 AM
My legs just don't do that - I know what to do, I just can't do it. He can only do it on one side, incidentally.

I can only do it on one side also, strange isnt it.

And Yerba Buena (spelling?!). On the principle of poor starving children in Africa, you mean?
Yep that's one of the phrases mum used to use, along with if you keep pulling that face it will stay like that, hmm, answers a lot of questions.

Samba

Mrs Redboots
09-13-2006, 07:01 AM
Today is my coach's 50th birthday! So he was in a good mood, which helped, I think.

OPen for Business: We spent a lot of time working on the dance moves very small, along the red line, which I know will improve them when they enlarge. Was aware, when doing them before we started (if that makes sense) that I was beginning to rock over on to a steeper BO edge. I also realised that one thing that will help enormously is backwards grapevines - I always used to do forward ones when working on forward X-rolls.... duh....

Shut down: In our practice earlier, got really annoyed with Husband for saying that tracking was only with the blades, not with the shoulders - er, I don't think so! And in our free dance I did exactly as I had been told to do and said "Now!" just before we needed to start the end pattern, but he still got it out of time, which is proof positive that it is him, not me, whatever the coach says!

All the same, the dance is coming now, I think. We are probably going to have to change my position in the lift to make it easier for us both, as Husband's back isn't going to like the old position, but that's not hard; coach will show us on Tuesday, I expect.

doubletoe
09-13-2006, 12:06 PM
Open for Business

This is my favorite lesson day: the first lesson after a competition! That's when we get inspired and upgrade the program for the next competition. This morning I showed up to my lesson with a big brainstorm to try out: adding one more position at the end of my spiral sequence, then changing the jump that follows it from a flip to an axel. I tried the new spiral position and transitions to the music and it worked! :D

Shut Down

Nothing that I would actually call "shut down", but I do anticipate a big challenge trying to land that axel 2:15 into my program from a setup I'm not used to. Fortunately, I still have 6 months to work on it! ;)

Figureskates
09-13-2006, 02:32 PM
Shut Down: Working on Figures 1.. Back outside figure 8s are not pretty...not pretty at all. I see a lot of work and practice in my future!

Skate@Delaware
09-13-2006, 02:58 PM
Shut Down: Working on Figures 1.. Back outside figure 8s are not pretty...not pretty at all. I see a lot of work and practice in my future!
That's pretty cool! My scribe has been patiently waiting next to my skate bag for "figures school" which will happen whenever the director can squeeze it in......Of course, we do have someone else at the rink that knows how to use one....so I might as him-he'd get a kick out of it I'm sure! (he's a pair skater from the 50's and he is an advisor now...doesn't skate anymore since his is in his 80's).

jazzpants
09-13-2006, 04:14 PM
Open for Business:
My coaches have contacted me and I'm going to have lessons again starting tomorrow!!! YAAAAAY!!!! :D :D :D

Shut Down:
The lessons are at other rinks! YB is definitely gonna be closed for a while. They have to jackhammer the concrete to get to the pipes to fix. AI YI YI!!! 8O 8O 8O Needless to say, it will be a MONTH before I'm back at my beautiful home rink again. :cry: My lesson now are Thursday nights at Oakland and early Friday mornings at 7:45am at yet another rink!!!

Secondary coach joked that I should come early to learn to appreciate the 8:15am spot that I normally go to... (WHA!?!?!?! Like I don't make it on the ice before to warm up at least 20 minutes before that!?!?! What more does this one want anyway?!?!?!) 8O :twisted: :P :lol:

But needless to say, I'm thankful that I'll have lessons again!!! :bow:

doubletoe
09-13-2006, 04:23 PM
Yay!! Jazzpants has ice again!
Go celebrate with a big round of flips and loops for everyone! :D

jazzpants
09-13-2006, 05:00 PM
Go celebrate with a big round of flips and loops for everyone! :DDepends...you settle for two footed landing??? :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol:

doubletoe
09-13-2006, 06:22 PM
Depends...you settle for two footed landing??? :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol:

No. Do you?:twisted: ;)

jazzpants
09-13-2006, 06:35 PM
No. Do you?:twisted: ;)LOL!!! Didn't think so!!! :frus: :twisted: :lol: :P

I'll do my best!!! I landed a couple clean flips yesterday... but I couldn't reproduce it again after that! And then there's the LOOP!!! *sigh* More BO edge and BO3 exercises... :frus:

Terri C
09-13-2006, 06:48 PM
And then there's the LOOP!!! *sigh* More BO edge and BO3 exercises... :frus:

I landed a few today... of course this was after my lesson with Primary Coach, who worked with me the last three minutes of lesson on it.
The rest of the lesson was Open for Business in that the way my coaches want me to turn shoulders, tighten lobes, etc is making what my coaches want me to skate on these moves make more sense!!

Skate@Delaware
09-13-2006, 10:02 PM
Open for Business: No lessons tonight...just homework! Worked all the way through my list and for the most part, the corrections are sticking. Mohawks are better and I was able to add a crossover for speed on the ones ccw. Crossovers were good, once I warmed up enough (did the off/on ice warmup she gave me and it was nice). So my lobes were deeper and my strokes were faster. Only tripped up once but didn't go down. Back crossover exercises were "interesting" because I forgot which leg to glide on. Got a tip from an advanced person.

3-turns were really good. Went up and down the line just doing one after another at a nice rhythm and checked hard...they were good-sized and AS EVEN GOING OUT AS THEY WERE GOING IN!!! That was nice!!!

Jumps were ok...still skidding a bit but I'm also breaking at the waist and not bending my knee enough when I land...so of course I skid a bit. Salchows were much better after the 3-turn exercise! Waltz jumps were tentative but ok.

Back spirals are coming along. Of course, having to watch behind me slows me down a tad...Front spirals are good and I'm working on both legs right now, trying to get the left leg as good as the right.

Shut Down: spins generally sucked. We are not working on the camel yet so I have not hit that. Not the sit either. That leaves the scratch and the back both of which sucked.

Toe-loops have been better but also have been worse. My leg is bent when I reach back and my skating leg is not bent enough.

Ran through my routine 2 times. Ran out of routine before I ran out of music. That's ok, since I'm working on speeding up my moves and stamina etc. I'm actually doing much better than I did on Sunday. My music is 1:30 and my guess is i'm still skating about 10 seconds beyond. That's not too terribly bad.

singerskates
09-13-2006, 11:49 PM
Shut Down is what the ice should have been until it was reflooded. It was the worst I've ever seen for condensation making bumps, lines all over the ice. Usually when the condensation comes it's only in about six places. This was almost everywhere. I was skating forward during part of my program near the beginning of the session and actually got my toe pick caught in the bumps and I'm skating near the back of my blade when I skate forwards. I just about killed myself twice. After that I had to revert to just doing elements out of my program and keeping my eyes down on the ice to avoid all the bumps.

Open For Business:
Had some decent jumps in combination and by themselves but didn't risk anything I didn't have down pat because of the ice conditions.
Spins: didn't try the camel because the bumps made me nervous. Upright was so so most of the time. Sit spin was a happening spin. I even started playing with a forward sit/broken sit/change sit. Didn't get too far on the change part but it was the first time I really tried. I got one rev after the change and then lost balance. I read how to do the change sit in a book but they must have left something out. I'm working towards a forward sit/broken sit/change to back sit/pancake sit as one of my one position spins. I did do a great fast forward sit/broken sit/upright spin of 10 or so revs but I sure wasn't use to spinning that fast.

Can't wait for decent ice. Hope I get it tomorrow.

Casey
09-14-2006, 04:47 AM
Shut Down:

Rink air was especially cold, and I wore a short-sleeve sweater and non-warm pants. :(
Didn't skate well, probably because of worry about falling
Nearly died on way home - somebody in a pickup truck stopped on the side of the freeway decided to get on the freeway right in front of me as I was going 75. If I hadn't changed lanes very very quickly, I dunno if I'd have ever skated again. :( :( :(

Open For Business:

Didn't die
Skated today
Didn't hit finger when I fell
Didn't hit finger when I ran into the boards (eh?? how did I do that AGAIN???)
Showed a guy from the roller rink lots of stuff. Got his edges a bit better and at the end of the session he no longer believed T-stops were impossible - he was doing them. :D

DallasSkater
09-14-2006, 06:06 AM
Casey: I am delighted that you did not die! giggle.

Attended bridge program last night as well as the first ballet class that is associated.

Shut down: Still struggling with a cold that has implications to my balance in spins. They divided us into small groups to work with different coaches switching once in the middle to a different coach. I had a ice dance coach first. He taught us progressives and a dance thingy that I now do not recall the name. I did understand the concept of a progressive vs a cross over but don't think I did well (might be because it is difficult while coughing! ..lol). I canceled my private lesson due to the cold but will be attending my other skate classes on Friday. Bummed.

Not sure about ballet class. I did not hate it, but had a hard time appreciating it's value to me. Will try to keep an open mind about it and reserve final judgment to when I have had more exposure to it.

Open for Business: Next was a freestyle coach with spins. She was very helpful with my one footed spin. Interesting how it is all in a few different words a coach will use that seems to make a difference in what I understand. Able to stay off the toe pick in a one footed spin most of the time.

Skate@Delaware
09-14-2006, 06:39 AM
Casey: Also glad you did not die!!! We need all the cute guy skaters we can get! ;)

Dallas: I hope you feel better soon! Keep up with the ballet class....it takes a while but soon you will get "it" as far as the value of the class. I felt the same way but now I do my ballet exercises (at the gym, in front of they guys, no less!) and can tell when I don't do them in a while.

The progressives will kick in also....they were hard for me vs. crossovers but now they are easier.

Glad your spin is working for you! If you have some extra mojo left over, send some my way as my spins are crapping out :lol:

doubletoe
09-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Not sure about ballet class. I did not hate it, but had a hard time appreciating it's value to me. Will try to keep an open mind about it and reserve final judgment to when I have had more exposure to it.

Ballet is one of those things whose value really exists in the repetition. It's not so much a matter of *knowing* what the positions and movements are; it's more about having done them so many times that the movements and positions become second nature for you on the ice.

Skate@Delaware
09-14-2006, 04:55 PM
Open for Business: I'm only 5 seconds behind in my program!!!! I did 3 run throughs at the end of the session today (I save $$$ and skate on cheap public skate) and for the most part it was pretty good going. With only a few people to dodge I had no problems. Back spirals were good!!! Helps having no one to dodge!!! Mohawks and 3-turns were sweet!!! I think if I go skating on Sunday I might hit the 3-turn pattern for pre-bronze moves....if I go (I'll be getting back from camping with my son and his cub scouts, so we will see how I feel). Waltz, salchows, and toe-loops were decent (I know I bent my free leg on the toe-loop but the rest of it was decent).

Shut Down: It's official...my rink now has it's own condensation bumps!!!! Although a lot of them were shaved down by a very helpful hockey guy (isn't that nice) there were some that were pretty treacherous!!! Yikes!!! I told the zamboni guy and he just shrugged his shoulders....it's been warm and humid lately so I guess we can expect them for a while.

Spins still suck, mostly. Drunken Sailors (in my routine) are on shore leave....

Clare
09-14-2006, 05:41 PM
Shut Down: I'll add my voice to the condensation crowd!! It was dripping on our heads all evening and then dodging the bumps was interesting...

I'm happy to say that everything else was...

Open for Business: Finally managed decent CW crossovers continuously- good knee bend and actually pointing my toe fully into the circle. Yay!

My backwards skating- the source of much of my frustration- is showing definite improvement. Coach says he is pleased with how much more confident I am now going backwards- I no longer have a look of horror at all times :lol:

Clare

DallasSkater
09-14-2006, 07:05 PM
doubletoe: That makes sense. Thanks for saying that as I can anticipate value later. I really do want to look more graceful skating since I have interest in someday competing just to have something to work towards.

Skate@Delware: giggle to doing your ballet at the gym in public. I saw your video that had a nice ballet looking position in it and your work in ballet does show! Hope your spin returns soon. I think mine will be better when the cold is completely gone but it has really come along over the last 30 days or so. I bet I have done a million rotations by now! Very exciting that you are getting so close to pre-bronze!

Clare: Always good when the look and feel of horror kind of skips town! lol

Shut down: Still stuffy and sick! I have not jumped in a week due to breathing...I tried a simple half flip that I typically do well....about fell! eeeek...hope not jumping for a week or two is not doing too much damage in my jumping progress! Was too chicken to attempt anything else after! Still nursing my hip bruise that is now in the shape of Florida! (Keys are going the wrong way..in case you need a visual! ..giggle). Total coughing fits when I allow myself to get too aerobic. Two classes tomorrow should be interesting!

Open for business: Did take a 2 hour lunch to get to skate a bit today. Only 3 people on the entire ice. Wish I was feeling better but how wonderful to have the space to really open up. Spins were mostly centered and no toe! I am so pleased! Really working on getting a smooth transition from a backward cross to a one foot spin now...I can do it but seems to have fewer revolutions. Attempted some progressives..I seem to sense a tiny bit of improvement though I think I have a long way to go to make them as comfortable as a cross over. I tried just really going slow as possible and getting the foot to pigeon in enough to slide over. Seemed to help to be going super slow.

Skate@Delaware
09-14-2006, 07:25 PM
Thanks, Dallas....I'm hoping things get better once my allergies clear up a bit and the muscle spasms in my shoulders calm down (if they ever do). Take care not to overdo! You don't want a relapse of your cold and end up with pneumonia!!!!

And as far as the ballet goes, my personal trainer does some of the stretches and ballet moves with me now! It's quite a sight! He is also helping me with some PNF techniques, which has been very helpful (although slightly painful).8O

You will find that slow is good at the beginning and you will find yourself building speed as you become more comfortable with the moves. It is a natural progression, which you know. When you become too comfortable and don't push yourself, you become complacent and sloppy (been there too) and don't improve.

Clare, I'm glad you are skating calmer...no looks of horror unless it's Halloween!!!

doubletoe
09-14-2006, 10:57 PM
doubletoe: That makes sense. Thanks for saying that as I can anticipate value later. I really do want to look more graceful skating since I have interest in someday competing just to have something to work towards.

Trust me, you will! I took ballet for a year when I was about 9 and for another year when I was 13 or 14 and now I'm over 40 and still noticing the benefits. I took my first skating lesson at 27 and I was probably 28 when we were taught how to do a spiral in our group class. Well, I got it almost immediately, while everyone else seemed to be struggling. It later occurred to me that it was because the position felt so familiar: It was the arabesque position from ballet that I didn't even remember learning! Same with arm movements and body positions/posture. I'm finding that they're still in there!

jazzpants
09-14-2006, 11:03 PM
Open for Business:

FINALLY!!! A LESSON!!! With none other than my wonderful primary coach too. :bow: And apparently he's in a better mood since his alternate rink is only 8 minutes from his home!!! :twisted:

He asked if besides Sundays at my weekend rink if I skated at all. I told him I skated SATURDAY and SUNDAY Berkeley actually... and yes, I also skated at YB just before the rink closed and at my alt. weekend rink midday. He says "Oh, I'll bet it's quiet when you're there huh?" I said "Yup! ALMOST PRIVATE ICE in fact!!!" :mrgreen: He was like 8O then "Hmmmm???" ;) (Uh oh... I see a look like maybe I should go and practice there midday too...) :twisted:

Spins are still there and I'm getting better on the camel spin now... not quite to position but at least he sees I'm trying to get into position and at least I'm spinning. It's very close to being MINE now!!! :twisted: (Don't know why I'm better at spins than jumps... or why primary coach wants to spin and jump in MY direction now!!! :roll: )

Best news of all... the outgoing message says that they're hopeful that they can get the rink open by NEXT MONDAY!!! (Okay, I suspect that it will likely be like Wednesday/Thursday next week, but I will be back home very soon!!!) Rink manager asks me to think "good rink opening thoughts" for her... maybe I can get the Parlor in on this too, but everyone please think "good rink opening thoughts" for YB!!! http://degiorgi.math.hr/forum/images/smiles/eusa_pray.gif

Shut down:

NO LOOP!!! GRRRRR!!! :x :frus: (And it's not from lack of trying either, doubletoe!!! He sees that I'm trying to do and I have been practicing my loop edge exercise though... he says "SOOOOOO CLOSE!!!" at one point...)

No lesson with secondary coach tomorrow. Just as well... I really need to catch up on my sleep and don't care to drive in to her alternate rink at 7am in the morning to skate on a weekday commute time! :twisted: :P She is trying to reschedule our lesson for another time and day which is more palatable for me! :)

Rusty Blades
09-14-2006, 11:34 PM
Shut down: I must have had some kind of “bug” tonight - feeling weak in the legs, no fast reflexes at all, and I’d be sweating one minute and cold the next. All the turns (except two-footed and back Mohawk) deserted me totally and it took half an hour to get on back edges again so I worked on “posture” in forward edges, forward stroking and back Mohawks. In the lesson in the second hour we were supposed to do 3-Turns and Mohawks but my coach was feeling sorry for me so we stuck to the stuff that was working and turns were delayed to Saturday.

My God, it’s half way through September! Only five and a half months to competition. I have GOT to get busy and get these turns working so I can proceed with the choreography!

Open for Business: I didn't break anything?

Sk8pdx
09-15-2006, 12:39 AM
DallasSkater: I hope you are feeling better soon! Hang in there with the Ballet. It is not a discipline for anyone who has issues with instant gratification that's for sure.:P

Doubletoe: Ditto on the Ballet. I found Ballet rather drudging in its repetative nature but as you mentioned, movements eventually become second nature. My legs usually feel like bricks when I am done. Plus it is so good for strength, stretching and flexibility.

Casey: Sorry about the bad karma you've been having lately, but I am Glad you are still with us. The world is a pretty cool place with you still in it :)

Shut Down:
Sit Spins and Scratch Spins :cry: :frus: :??

Open for Business:
Attitude Spin 3 -4 revs (not centered yet, but it is progress)
Camel Spin 3 revs
Bronze MIF Primary Coach thinks I could test in October. 8O ... and pass :lol: :lol:
Worked with Secondary Coach today on my jump plateau and a little reframing thus providing some hope and light at the end of the tunnel.
Spirals on all edges, forward and backward are feeling secure solid and stretched.
Toe Loops: the cure--- Toe Walleys.

jazzpants
09-15-2006, 01:22 AM
Nearly died on way home - somebody in a pickup truck stopped on the side of the freeway decided to get on the freeway right in front of me as I was going 75. If I hadn't changed lanes very very quickly, I dunno if I'd have ever skated again. :( :( :(Geez! We're getting A LOT of crazy drivers!!! We have a lot of those like that too. I almost had a near death experience after I changed lanes and carefully making sure that there was no one within at least a few car length in the next lane. Some idiot driver decide to zip along and almost rear ended me... Everyone was going like 66 mph and he was going like 85??? 8O I swear I was looking b/c I SAW him zipping along and came up REALLY FAST!!! :x

Didn't hit finger when I fell
Didn't hit finger when I ran into the boards (eh?? how did I do that AGAIN???)
Showed a guy from the roller rink lots of stuff. Got his edges a bit better and at the end of the session he no longer believed T-stops were impossible - he was doing them. :DKEWL that you didn't hit your finger again... now you just have to not run into the boards again. :lol: :P KEWL that you taught someone how to do a t-stop!!! 8-) :bow:

aussieskater
09-15-2006, 01:54 AM
Open for business

At long last I'm getting some small success with alternating FI twizzles. They're starting to come both ways. Mind you, I have to really think about it, and I don't get much in the way of travel, and the feet aren't pretty, but given that 2 months ago the LFI wasn't even getting anything like 360 degrees without a touchdown, and the RFI went round on the toepick if it went round at all, I'm delighted. :D

Open for business overtime and great sales on

Inelegant and graceless as mine are, it seems that back twizzles are so much easier!! 8O Our synchro coach wants us to do these weird 2-footed 360-degree travelling back turns (ie: from backwards to backwards). I was whinging (:P ;) ) to the team captain, and she said "Try this", and showed me how she did it on one foot. To my great astonishment, it worked, and she replied "See? You can do BI twizzles!" Both ways!! Alternating!! Who'd'a'thunk? 8O :lol:

Shut down

Some spectacular falls. Nothing hurt except for my dignity, but then, I'm in the habit of checking that at the locker room when I enter the rink. The Dutch Waltz produced a doozy of a bellyflop, whereupon I slid (stomach down, chin and arms up) straight into learn-to-skate. Coach comes over, looks down and says something to the effect of "Beached penguin". (I suppose I should be grateful it wasn't "beached whale" :roll: ).

Then yesterday, coach says to try something different to get the exit from a teapot faster. I just looked at him, and he replied to the look, "It's OK, I won't drop you." Famous last words. Another flop, and another slide - into coffee club this time. At least he went down too! :twisted: :) Someone wanted to know where the Funniest Home Video camera was set up...:giveup:

Mrs Redboots
09-15-2006, 05:33 AM
Shut Down: I'll add my voice to the condensation crowd!! It was dripping on our heads all evening and then dodging the bumps was interesting... It was bad again this morning; par for the course, this time of year, I'm afraid.

For the first part of our practice, it felt like little bits of dance were being chewed up and spat out all over the ice, with five couples (including us) all working on weak spots in their respective dances!

We did get one good runthrough to the music. The first time we made a horlicks of the beginning, but fortunately, as it turned out, someone accidentally turned our music off. So they put it back on again from the beginning for us, and this time we did it properly!

I'm still worried about some of the steps - we do seem to repeat them, identically. Husand says the judges won't notice, but I bet they do. See what the Coach thinks on Tuesday.

Last year, at this time, I was longing for the day to come; this year I'm thankful we still have a fortnight to get ready, and even then, will we be? It's not as if it's the first time we've competed the dance, though.... oh dear....

Rusty Blades
09-15-2006, 06:52 AM
Shut Down: Yup, shut down fersure. I thought it felt like I had picked up a "bug" yesterday - weak and alternating sweats and chills (though the ladies were all suggesting their personal remedies for "hot flashes - LOL!). Woke up this morning feeling like I had been run over by a steam roller - a "bug" fersure :cry: Probably the same one my coach had earlier in the week. Already called in sick - can't let work get in the way of skating! Going to curl up in a warm blanket and veg out in front of the television - gotta get healthy for skating tomorrow - too much to learn and refine for my program - no time to be sick!

Open For Business: A good excuse to open that bottle of wine in the cupboard and nibble on that extra chocolate bar? :roll:

Raye
09-15-2006, 02:02 PM
(((((((Dianne)))))))

Hope you are feeling better soon....

dbny
09-15-2006, 04:35 PM
Jazzpants - Here in NYC, a lot of us no longer signal when changing lanes, because it has become an invitation to every idiot on the road to speed up so you can't do what you need to! I nearly got killed that way a few weeks ago.

Shut Down:
Last week, my lack of practice caught up with me, and I got on the ice and did not feel so good. On top of that, there was pressure on the outside of my R ankle. My boots have never, ever, hurt me there, so this was extremely unusual. I had to give a lesson the next day, and discovered that my ankle was bruised and painful, and I had to get off as soon as the lesson was over. I went to Klingbeil this morning before skating, to get the boot taken care of. I figured some of the padding had slipped, but they removed some padding, and it felt OK. Got to the rink, and it was OK, just barely, but after about an hour, I realized my L ankle was now hurting also :x ! I can't figure out what's going on. I don't see any difference in my ankles, and my boots look fine. This just happened so suddenly. On top of that, I felt like I had never been on the ice before. Everything was difficult and klutzy. Not one good thing to report, except that I didn't get hurt in spite of feeling like I was going to the whole time I was on the ice.

jazzpants
09-15-2006, 05:59 PM
Jazzpants - Here in NYC, a lot of us no longer signal when changing lanes, because it has become an invitation to every idiot on the road to speed up so you can't do what you need to! I nearly got killed that way a few weeks ago. Yup! We got that problem too!!! And I almost missed an exit and hit someone while trying to change lanes too! IDIOT freeway drivers!!! :evil: :x

Terri C
09-16-2006, 01:30 PM
Open for Business:
The freestyle session at the beginning was light, so I took full advantage and worked on moves. Moves are getting better and I will PASS this test in December!!
Loop is finally starting to stick around.
I've remembered how to do backsit- now to get low enough for it to be called a backsit.

Shut Down:
If I'm given a option on jump work this upcoming week, I will ask to work on the salchow in order to rid myself of the whipping free leg. Flip is possibly another option.

Debbie S
09-16-2006, 02:39 PM
Open for Business:
Sit spins were pretty good today. I did some shoot-the-ducks and saw my reflection in the plastic on the boards and I could see that I'm getting lower. Now, if only I could match that with my other leg for a back sit - any year now....

Loop was OK, but I'm still not happy with the height, but at least my salchow was working today.

Shut down:
The rink I skate at during the week, still! It's been closed since the end of June for maintenance and was supposed to open Sept 5. Now, there's no FS until the first week of October, sending me out to the far rink during weekday rush hour for another 2 weeks - grrr. At least gas is cheaper than it has been, but still....

As for skating shut-downs, my 3-year fight with the camel continues.....:frus:

mikawendy
09-16-2006, 04:26 PM
Open for Business--
Was visiting the antique show DH is exhibiting at in Northern Va, so skated @ Ashburn this morning and there were only 3 other skaters on each session I was at. Got loads of things done...

Rusty Blades
09-16-2006, 05:08 PM
Shut down: Early session (8:30) and I was still a bit stiff and weak from the recent “bug” but pushed hard to get my backward working again and to build up my weak left leg.

Open for Business: The snap reflex seemed to be back (mostly) so I spent the first hour on backward glides and pushing 3-Turns (two-footed darn it!) and back Mohawks. At least my back right Mohawk was working again.

My coach came for the second hour and we did forward edges, backward edges (so-so), 3-Turns and forward Mohawks (well sort of, as close as I can get right now!) Toward the end of the session, with good coaching, the right setup and entry I was finally getting close to having the forward 3-Turns on one foot and actually completed one or two without putting my free foot down! After skating, my coach and I went out for a late extended breakfast 8-)

NoVa Sk8r
09-17-2006, 07:31 AM
Shut Down:
The lessons are at other rinks! YB is definitely gonna be closed for a while. They have to jackhammer the concrete to get to the pipes to fix. AI YI YI!!! 8O 8O 8O Needless to say, it will be a MONTH before I'm back at my beautiful home rink again. :cry: My lesson now are Thursday nights at Oakland and early Friday mornings at 7:45am at yet another rink!!!Yes, that was very frustrating staying across the street from YB and not being able to skate (the frequent trips to Beard Papa for cream puffs and eclairs helped to assuage my angst).
Luckily, I made my way to Oakland then later in the week skated in Santa Rosa at "Snoopy's Home Ice (http://www.snoopyshomeice.com/)!" 8-)

Mrs Redboots
09-17-2006, 08:34 AM
Open for business: Fiesta Tango went okay. So did the end of our free dance.

Shut Down: Trying to rechoreograph a bit of the Free Dance, and then got distracted and stopped before we worked it at speed! Duh!

jazzpants
09-17-2006, 12:20 PM
Yes, that was very frustrating staying across the street from YB and not being able to skate (the frequent trips to Beard Papa for cream puffs and eclairs helped to assuage my angst).
Luckily, I made my way to Oakland then later in the week skated in Santa Rosa at "Snoopy's Home Ice (http://www.snoopyshomeice.com/)!" 8-)Dude! Why didn't ping me when you were going to Oakland or Santa Rosa??? I could have come! I was at Oakland Thursday night for a lesson. :x

And "cream puffs and eclairs to assuage your angst???" You sure you're not having "that time of the month???" :twisted: :P :lol:

Well, angst is over soon. It's supposedly open today and I will be "back to regular scheduled lessons." (minus Monday night sessions...see the website outgoing message now... :x ) Rink manager tells me that it's getting done and things are "progressing" as of Thursday... two days later, I heard it's opened for business as of today!

How did you like the Snoopy rink?

Skate@Delaware
09-17-2006, 03:17 PM
Shut Down: Went to the rink today for an off-ice dance class, only to find out it was rescheduled due to lack of notice....it starts next Sunday. So, back home I go to finish unpacking/cleaning from my weekend camping trip with my son (scouting trip-where it rained most of it and we had a blast!).

Open for Business: Although no skating today (I'm too pooped!!) I did hear that there is a 99% chance of my rink having a test session this year...as soon as they hear back from some judges it will be on!!!! So, it looks good for testing pre-bronze at my home rink! Their timeframe is sometime February or March.

It looks as though we are moving right along....ice shows, basic skills comps (which I don't believe I'm doing this year since I'm not enrolled), testing, moves classes, artificial ice classes, etc. Hopefully, we will have a studio rink for the summer and won't have to drive forever for ice (Sorry Pat, I'll still visit once in a while!)

And, on the notice about the off/on-ice dance class-it is also a moves-in-the-field class!!! Her main focus will be edges! I'm stoked because this is the one thing I like to work on that I miss from dance (it's an ice dance instructor so it will be good).

WhisperSung
09-17-2006, 03:42 PM
Open for Business:

Finally, after 5 years of failures and frustrations, I passed my Novice Moves in the Field! And not just passed. . .I owned that test! The passing average was 24.5 and the lowest score I got was a 25.3.

All I have to say is that junior moves better not take another 5 years!

Shut Down:

Naturally after you pass a test, you want to get back out there and start learning new stuff. At least that's what I wanted to do. Unfortunately, I've been sick since I passed my test on Thursday! My ears were plugged during the test, but now we're thinking I might have strep throat and I ended up needing eye drops for a case of pink eye. I guess it was good timing that it didn't happen before the test, but yuck anyway! :x

Debbie S
09-17-2006, 04:03 PM
Finally, after 5 years of failures and frustrations, I passed my Novice Moves in the Field!
Congratulations!!! :bow:

I hope you feel better soon! I had strep throat twice last year (fall/winter) and it better not happen again this year!

techskater
09-17-2006, 04:28 PM
Open for Business:

Finally, after 5 years of failures and frustrations, I passed my Novice Moves in the Field! And not just passed. . .I owned that test! The passing average was 24.5 and the lowest score I got was a 25.3.

All I have to say is that junior moves better not take another 5 years!

:x

Congratulations!!!

phoenix
09-17-2006, 05:29 PM
Novice moves is HUGE!!!! Congratulations!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Skate@Delaware
09-17-2006, 05:33 PM
Whispersung....CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! WOOO HOOOO!!!!!!

NoVa Sk8r
09-17-2006, 06:46 PM
8-) Dude! Why didn't ping me when you were going to Oakland or Santa Rosa??? I could have come! I was at Oakland Thursday night for a lesson. :x I went to the *early* sessions (because I was, in fact, on a biz trip and had to attend to that :halo: ).

And "cream puffs and eclairs to assuage your angst???" You sure you're not having "that time of the month???" :twisted: :P :lol:I was pretty bad. After buying some chai latte and pastry at the s l o w e s t ever coffee shop (Peet's near the Moscone center), I couldn't resist the allure of Beard Papa's (http://www.beardpapasf.com/) (and why is there no store in Virginia?!). And when I arrived at the conference, a coworker offered me a box of Krispy Kreme doughnuts! I declined--partly because I had to save room for all the Jelly Belly beans I knew I would soon be eating for my trip to Fairfield. (I also went to a few olive oil tastings near Napa/Sonoma, as well as some wine tastings. It's gonna be a tough time at the gym this week as I attempt to atone for my splurges.)
How did you like the Snoopy rink?The rink was empty for a mid-afternoon freestlye, but I got there early so I had a snack in the Warm Puppy Cafe. The ice was OK--it was chewed up from a pick-up hockey game. The Schulz Museum next to the rink was neat, and thye are now featuring the "Summer of Woodstock" complete with MANY Woodstock statues with different themes. Pretty nifty.

Sk8pdx
09-17-2006, 07:00 PM
Congratulations Whispersung!!!

I did hear that there is a 99% chance of my rink having a test session this year...as soon as they hear back from some judges it will be on!!!! So, it looks good for testing pre-bronze at my home rink! Their timeframe is sometime February or March.

Yaaay! another future member of the peanut gallery!!! I am so thrilled :bow: :P :D 8-)

Shut down:
Crowded sunday session with little skater devils:evil: not watching where they were going. Tripped over a 6 year old speed bump not watching where she was going, later, did an impromptu ice dance with a little hockey player not watching where he was going either. Grrrrr. :frus:

Open for Business:
Tried a couple of loops today w/o too much frustration.
Camel Spin is sweet. It is my favorite spin I can do.
Did a perfectly centered *almost*scratch spin.
lovely spirals today.

singerskates
09-17-2006, 09:22 PM
Open For Business:
Had my first lesson with a coach this past Thursday. Boy was I rusty. I really found out how off I was because my new coach is in his late 70's or early 80's really picked apart my waltz jump and other jumps for me. I was complaining that I wasn't comfortable with my take offs and landings. There was a whole host of things I was doing wrong, like twisting at the waist and letting my left arm proceed me, not stretching out my left leg on the backward right edge proceeding stepping onto the take off edge and most telling was the fact that I was rushing my take offs. It's now, back edge, stretch left leg behind, then step, count one, two, three, swing arms and right leg together to take off and land with left arm up in front to the center of my chest and right arm behind. Same with my toe loop and salchow. Next step is to land with free leg crossed infront of skating leg. (need this for Axel and doubles).

My spin speed is way up since, I've gotten my boots properly alligned and my blades fixed. Where I use to get an easy 5 revs, it's now an easy 8 to 10. And when I really try to spin, I haven't got an idea how many times I'm going around. Now my problem is to remember to slow down before existing. I keep forgetting to get my arms out well in advance to slow down before checking out which makes me dizzy. If I remember to slow down first, I'm OK. Oh, I'm not exactly centered yet. Got to have one of my coaches pick that apart soon. Keep in mind these are all forward spins, sits and uprights.

Then I have to get back to work on the loop, flip, lutz, backspin and camel.
After that, I have to work on doing change edge spins in all three positions; upright, sit and camel. After that, I'll start putting in variations of the positions eg. sit/broken sit/change to back sit/pancake 8 revs total or more. Once that's done, I'll sign up to test the Prelim FS. After I pass if it's before January, I'll start working on the combo spins, flying spins and Axel to get ready to test Junior Bronze.

As of now I'm at the point that I'm going to compete at Adult Bronze at Adult Canadians, but if I pass both the Prelim and Junior Bronze tests, I'll compete at Adult Silver this year. I've re-thought things and I think testing two levels this year will be enough unless things magically click for me. I'm thinking I'd rather be a strong skater than a wobbly Adult Gold skater. There's always next year or spring to move up to Adult Gold.

I've got two male coaches now. Who says there aren't that many men in skating? Yeah, I know. We're really talking about those males who still do programs and compete themselves. I've shown both of my coaches my plans and goals for this year.

DallasSkater
09-17-2006, 09:40 PM
doubletoe: Awesome that you retained your ballet training from younger. I bet it did come in handy learning as an adult to skate!

Rusty: Sorry about the bug! I didn't even breathe on you! Hope you are already feeling better.

Sk8pdx: Thanks for the well wishes. I am already significantly better.

Whispersung: Wow! You Raaawwwwkkkk!

Skate@Delaware: Your class sounds really good! I did not know there was such a thing as an off ice moves in the field class!

Shut Down: This rink was soooo busy this weekend. Really hard to practice anything during public sessions and freestyle was canceled for Saturday and none available on Sunday.

Open for Business: Did well with spins and continue to notice improvements. Friday night classes went well. I am delighted to have another adult taking it with me. He and I have been able to practice some together this weekend which was nice. We are getting more and more adults! Hopefully more of them will move into the freestyle classes as many stop at advance.

Got to watch a bit of the people competing in the regional event in their dress practice. Awesome talent from such young people! Could really notice who had ballet in their background. giggle. Will remember that in case I develop "tude" during my ballet class this week!

jazzpants
09-17-2006, 10:11 PM
And when I arrived at the conference, a coworker offered me a box of Krispy Kreme doughnuts! I declined--partly because I had to save room for all the Jelly Belly beans I knew I would soon be eating for my trip to Fairfield. (I also went to a few olive oil tastings near Napa/Sonoma, as well as some wine tastings. It's gonna be a tough time at the gym this week as I attempt to atone for my splurges.)I wouldn't recommend Peet's coffee... it's a chain store...albeit local chain but still... :roll: (Gotta go to either the Italian district on Columbus or the Upper Haight for the better coffee shops!) Krispy Kreme doughnuts is DISGUSTING, unless it's fresh out of the shop!!! :x Olive oil tastings is pretty good though...

(For those who don't already know... I have an alternate life as a Bay Area foodie. When I do strongly recommend a place -- and there aren't too many places -- you better believe it's well worth it! Good thing you didn't bring me along, Nova... I would have done away with your diet!!! :twisted: )

doubletoe
09-18-2006, 12:46 AM
I wouldn't recommend Peet's coffee... it's a chain store...albeit local chain but still... :roll: (Gotta go to either the Italian district on Columbus or the Upper Haight for the better coffee shops!)

What?!! What a disloyal San Franciscan you are, Jazzy! Peet's Coffee is the creme de la creme of coffees! I am a total coffee officionado and I have to say they use the best quality coffee beans of anybody. In fact, none of the cappuccinos I had in Italy this winter were as good as the ones I get at Peet's or the ones I make at home with my Peet's Garuda Blend or Espresso Forte coffee. But, having said that, I'm always up to try anyone's recommendation, so take me out for an espresso at your favorite place next time I'm up in SF, okay? ;)

doubletoe
09-18-2006, 12:56 AM
Open for Business
- Skated 3-1/2 hours today, including a whole hour on MIF (patting myself on the back for my discipline, LOL!)
- I was on brand new blades, having just mounted them yesterday, but surprised myself by having no trouble on my MIF (all the turns were better, yee-haw!) and not even any trouble on my jumps, which was the big surprise. I even landed two axels directly from a RBO spiral, something my coach wanted me to try and determine whether I could put it in my program. :)

Shut Down
Cannot seem to do any reverse spins on the new blade. Arrghh. The nice, round rocker is great if you're perfectly centered, but if you're a little off at the start of the spin, it can throw you off completely. I finally managed a few weak back scratch spins and managed to hold onto one flying camel for three turns, but I think there's going to be a bit of an adjustment period here. . .

doubletoe
09-18-2006, 12:58 AM
Open for Business:

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: You are my idol!!

jazzpants
09-18-2006, 01:46 AM
What?!! What a disloyal San Franciscan you are, Jazzy! Peet's Coffee is the creme de la creme of coffees! I am a total coffee officionado and I have to say they use the best quality coffee beans of anybody. In fact, none of the cappuccinos I had in Italy this winter were as good as the ones I get at Peet's or the ones I make at home with my Peet's Garuda Blend or Espresso Forte coffee. But, having said that, I'm always up to try anyone's recommendation, so take me out for an espresso at your favorite place next time I'm up in SF, okay? ;)Yeah, yeah! I know I was gonna get a lot of flack from those who goes to Peet's regularly who posts or lurks here. :P

I've been hearing great things about Blue Bottle Coffee (http://www.bluebottlecoffee.net)... but it's more like a coffee stand than a coffee house, but hey, if people are lining up in long lines for their coffee, that's gotta say something about their coffee. Caffe Trieste (http://www.caffetrieste.com) serves WONDERFUL mochas, but alas, I now have a milk allergy and they don't serve soy milk. :x I do like Cafe Claude (http://www.cafeclaude.com/) (I think it's Cafe Claude... either that or a nearby French restaurant place. Have to check with a friend to see if it's the place she took me. I love their desserts and coffee... but haven't had their French food yet. But chocolate mousse, anyone?) ;)

BTW: If you like tea, I still like teany (http://www.teany.com) in NYC best... but Samovar (http://www.samovartea.com) is pretty close second!!! ;) (Unless you like British High Tea... then it's definitely Lovejoy's (http://www.lovejoystearoom.com/)...)

jazzpants
09-18-2006, 03:17 AM
Congrats to WhisperSung!!! Passing Nervous Moves is indeed a BIG accomplishment!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

tidesong
09-18-2006, 04:54 AM
congrats whispersung!

open for business and shut down all mixed together :
for me I had a ok lesson on friday, ice is crowded again because of rink closing for hockey so same number of skaters are all having lessons in the less ice time available.

I am slipping off my toepick less when attempting double toe, which means that its just that little bit less scary for me now.

I passed my preliminary test on saturday with a barely pass which makes me worried about my pre-juvenile test. And the judges complained about my scratchy and non-existent edges alot.....

Mrs Redboots
09-18-2006, 06:40 AM
Congratulations to Whispersung! That's some serious skating! Respect! :bow:

Meanwhile, we had a recreational dance match last night, and I decided not to skate. I suppose I might have decided to skate the Dutch Waltz, but it would have been so disheartening if we'd had a bad draw & been beaten at this stage! So on balance I'm glad I didn't. The Husband skated, though, and was asked to compete a Willow Waltz with someone he'd never danced it with before (he's danced with her quite often socially at Alexandra Palace, but it's the first season she's danced for our club, and he hadn't happened to skate the Willow with her before). And although they didn't win, it was 2 judges to 1 against a long-established couple who are skating Advanced at the British Adults! Repect! :bow:

Skate@Delaware
09-18-2006, 07:18 AM
Skate@Delaware: Your class sounds really good! I did not know there was such a thing as an off ice moves in the field class!

I didn't either until it was announced. First they passed a questionniare around asking what we felt we needed work on: edges, flow, speed, following the diagrams (moves and/or dance), etc.

The way it is going to work (from what I understand, which may change later once the class gets going) the off-ice will be postioning and learning how to read patterns-following with the book (moves and dance). The on-ice class will be a follow-up with the moves that were given as "homework" and positioning/correcting on-ice.

I understand that it will cover both dance and moves but the emphasis will be on edges. Our resident adult master-level ice dancer will be teaching the on-ice; off-ice I'm not sure.

This is going hand-in-hand with our rink's slooooow move into the competitive training mode. Although we are a recreational facility foremost, there will be the opportunity (Sep-Apr) to train competitively. The first step was having an in-house competition, testing sessions were the next step. Moves-in-the-field training is the "now" thing. I don't know what's next....

Terri C
09-18-2006, 08:20 AM
Krispy Kreme doughnuts is DISGUSTING, unless it's fresh out of the shop!!! :x Olive oil tastings is pretty good though...

Krispy Kreme doughnuts are the BEST when still HOT!!!
Olive oil tastings, never heard of that, but oh well.

jazzpants
09-18-2006, 11:47 AM
Olive oil tastings, never heard of that, but oh well.Well, it depends on how picky you are when it comes to cooking. Most people just get by on regular pure olive oil... but some people also use extra virgin olive oil for stuff like certain sauces and soups. And then there's spices in the olive oil too.

Personally, flavorings in olive oil is highly overrated. If you want (for instance) garlic olive oil, just use regular and extra virgin olive oil and garlic. No need to spend the extra $ for it and you'll save shelf space too.

NoVa: Did you see Schultz's table at the Warm Puppy? :lol:

Sticking back on topic...

Shut Down:

Weekend rink is getting crowded on weekends. Saturday was packed so went to alt. weekend rink. I figured they're both equally crowded but one is a closer commute for me, so...
Weekend rink's ice is extra hard this weekend. Weird...
No loops or flip, though I had a few close calls and a few close calls on a trip to the ER too! :roll:
Backspin was weird this Sunday. Saturday was better.
Still didn't have a lesson with secondary coach, but for a good reason (see below...)Open for Business (again):
YERBA BUENA is back in operation and from a direct overhead vantage point (3rd floor) boy... she is a beauty!!! The hockey lines are repainted and the ice is smooth "like buttah." :P NO DITCH!!! NO CORDUROY ice (like secondary coach's temporary rink!!!) When I heard YB was opening Sunday, I gladly gave up my Saturday morning FS spot with secondary coach at the temporary rink b/c I just refuse to skate on ice that's THAT ill maintained!!!

Can't wait to get on it!!! There is a Skate God!!! YEEEEEESSSSS!!!! :bow:

singerskates
09-18-2006, 01:59 PM
Krispy Kreme doughnuts are the BEST when still HOT!!!
Olive oil tastings, never heard of that, but oh well.

Here in Windsor we use to have a Krspy Kreme store but it failed because we Windsorites like our Tim Horton's donuts and then there's the Timmy's coffee. I don't drink coffee but I sure love Timmy's Hot Chocolate and Hot Apple Cider.

singerskates

NoVa Sk8r
09-18-2006, 03:33 PM
Personally, flavorings in olive oil is highly overrated. If you want (for instance) garlic olive oil, just use regular and extra virgin olive oil and garlic. No need to spend the extra $ for it and you'll save shelf space too.

NoVa: Did you see Schulz' table at the Warm Puppy? :lol:Nope, missed that. But the exhibit at the museum was centered on ice skating (Schulz was a huge Peggy Fleming fan). They had just taken down the kite-eating cartoon strips to make way for the skating comics. Peppermint Patty doing inside loops and snoopy skating with Mr. Frick. gotta love it.

Oh, about olive oils. Some of the "infused" oils are spectacular. I had a blood orange one--the citrus flavor contrasted with the Manzanilla olive was superb. I adore extra virgin olive oils (I had a blast in Tuscany last June) and joined the Sonoma-based Olive Press (http://www.theolivepress.com/) Club--I now get 2 bottles of artisanal oils every 3 months! [my apologies for the tangents here.]

jazzpants
09-18-2006, 03:47 PM
Nope, missed that. But the exhibit at the museum was centered on ice skating (Schulz was a huge Peggy Fleming fan). They had just taken down the kite-eating cartoon strips to make way for the skating comics. Peppermint Patty doing inside loops and snoopy skating with Mr. Frick. gotta love it.You didn't see the "Reserved" table??? ;)

Oh, about olive oils. Some of the "infused" oils are spectacular. I had a blood orange one--the citrus flavor contrasted with the Manzanilla olive was superb. I adore extra virgin olive oils (I had a blast in Tuscany last June) and joined the Sonoma-based Olive Press (http://www.theolivepress.com/) Club--I now get 2 bottles of artisanal oils every 3 months! [my apologies for the tangents here.]*sigh* The oils are great, but again, you don't need to get fruit-flavored based olive oil. Not worth the price. Just get some good in season blood oranges and squeeze some of its juice to the olive oil. That's what most restaurants cooks does anyway here... but yes, the type of olives does make a difference... some are salty, some are mild, some peppery...

(Great! I'm hungry again...) :roll:

NoVa Sk8r
09-18-2006, 04:08 PM
You didn't see the "Reserved" table??? ;)

*sigh* The oils are great, but again, you don't need to get fruit-flavored based olive oil. Not worth the price. Just get some good in season blood oranges and squeeze some of its juice to the olive oil. That's what most restaurants cooks does anyway here... but yes, the type of olives does make a difference... some are salty, some are mild, some peppery...I missed the reserved table; i was only in there for a few minutes.
More oil: It's not the juice that "infuses" an oil; it is the essential oil. None of the oils I comsume have things splashed into them. The horror!
And yes, I love me some peppery olive oils. <sigh> Is it dinner time yet?

doubletoe
09-18-2006, 04:29 PM
I missed the reserved table; i was only in there for a few minutes.
More oil: It's not the juice that "infuses" an oil; it is the essential oil. None of the oils I comsume have things splashed into them. The horror!
And yes, I love me some peppery olive oils. <sigh> Is it dinner time yet?

YUMMM!! Sounds like I need to invite myself to dinner with you and Jazzpants. . . Heh heh heh.

jazzpants
09-18-2006, 04:31 PM
I missed the reserved table; i was only in there for a few minutes. That was the Schultz memorial at the rink. Schultz used to sit at that (now Reserved) table all the time reading the newspapers and watching the hockey skaters and figure skaters there.

More oil: It's not the juice that "infuses" an oil; it is the essential oil. None of the oils I comsume have things splashed into them. The horror!Trust me... go to a fancy restaurant and go in the back to the kitchen and tell me if you see a bottle of flavored olive oils! *** Chances are good, it's not there for a reason. (Mainly it's b/c it's more expensive to have flavored oils... but they still get around the issue by splashing fruit juices in there...)

Fruit based olive oils are more commonly used for green salads where there's bits of fruits in them (usually orange.) But most of the recipes I saw from restaurants usually just suggests olive oil and FRESH fruit juices (note FRESH, not the stuff you get from the supermarket w/all the sugar and the preservatives. THAT is gross!!!)

And yes, I love me some peppery olive oils. <sigh> Is it dinner time yet?For you... probably... For me... that's in a few hours... :yum:

*** My father was a kitchen helper at Empress of China, which is/was world renowned and visited often by celebrities and presidents. I saw mostly PEANUT oil and sesame oil, but no fruit flavored oils... Then again, Chinese cuisine is not well-known for fruit flavored meats. Also, one of my current favorite local haunts does NOT use ANY flavored oils from what I saw in the kitchen from a distance. Just a BIIIIIIG medal can of extra virgin olive oil from Italy...

jazzpants
09-18-2006, 04:34 PM
YUMMM!! Sounds like I need to invite myself to dinner with you and Jazzpants. . . Heh heh heh.Well, I'm just a foodie. Nova's the cook... but this one area of cooking I know very well enough about. :yum: ;) (I'm surprised even though I know how to eat that I'm not a cook...) :roll: :lol:

But LET'S GO! Let's ALL go eat!!! LOL!!! :lol: (Or better... NoVa, you wanna cook for Doubletoe and me??? LOL!!!) :twisted:

NoVa Sk8r
09-18-2006, 06:04 PM
That was the Schultz memorial at the rink. Schultz used to sit at that (now Reserved) table all the time reading the newspapers and watching the hockey skaters and figure skaters there.Too bad I missed that.

Trust me... go to a fancy restaurant and go in the back to the kitchen and tell me if you see a bottle of flavored olive oils! *** Chances are good, it's not there for a reason. (Mainly it's b/c it's more expensive to have flavored oils... but they still get around the issue by splashing fruit juices in there...)I used to work in a fancy French restaurant in New York. Restaurants don't use flavored oils at all as a standalone. If they are making marinades or vinaigrettes or sauces, then the citrus juice is added to the sauce. What I am talking about is dipping oils or oils used solely alone.

And in Italy, most of the "fancier" restaurants don't place out olive oil at all, and most do not serve bread (and Italiy is, I believe, the only country that does not use salt in its bread). One chef in Tuscany told me that the bread "ruins" the appetite and the oil "coats" the stomach, thereby destroying the gustatory experience.

Nova's the cook... But LET'S GO! Let's ALL go eat!!! (Or better... NoVa, you wanna cook for Doubletoe and me??? LOL!!!)Alas, I don't cook nearly as much as I used to several years ago. And I'm a much better baker than cook. Baking is edible chemistry (more so than cooking because things have to be mixed in accurate (stoichiometric) ratios.

jazzpants
09-18-2006, 07:20 PM
Too bad I missed that.

I used to work in a fancy French restaurant in New York. Restaurants don't use flavored oils at all as a standalone. If they are making marinades or vinaigrettes or sauces, then the citrus juice is added to the sauce. What I am talking about is dipping oils or oils used solely alone.Bleech :x .. who wants oils just especially for dipping breads??? :P :lol: :twisted: But serious... if you insists on bread, olive oil and red wine vinegar works fine for me... Same with chopped basil... anything else and that's pretentious...

And in Italy, most of the "fancier" restaurants don't place out olive oil at all, and most do not serve bread (and Italiy is, I believe, the only country that does not use salt in its bread). One chef in Tuscany told me that the bread "ruins" the appetite and the oil "coats" the stomache, thereby destroying the gustatory experience. I know... that's why I don't usually eat bread at the beginning of my meal anyway (unless it's really, REALLY good bread but that's another story... :yum: ) My husband does eat bread though but he has a stronger stomach than I.

I think the whole bread thing is an American thing... I mean, it's like having a fortune cookie with every Chinese meal. Those who are Chinese know better that fortune cookies is an American thing. (Doesn't mean that it should be taken away, of course... :lol: )

Alas, I don't cook nearly as much as I used to several years ago. And I'm a much better baker than cook. (Baking is edible chemistry ....)Baking and cooking is edible chemistry, actually. :lol:

And no, I'm not talking about placing out olive oil where people can see it. I mean, in this case, an sorta open kitchen where you can see in. (Well sorta... you can't see the cutting board or the stove and obviously not the floor, but you can see the kitchen shelf with the supplies...the big can of olive oil is there!!!)

Okay, THAT'S IT!!! I'm HUNGRY!!! It's close enough to dinner time!!! TIME TO EAT!!! :yum: :twisted:

Mrs Redboots
09-19-2006, 08:25 AM
I think the whole bread thing is an American thing... I mean, it's like having a fortune cookie with every Chinese meal. Those who are Chinese know better that fortune cookies is an American thing. (Doesn't mean that it should be taken away, of course... :lol: )Fortune cookies are definitely American - you don't get them with Chinese meals here. However, bread with a meal is distinctively French - it wouldn't be a meal in France without a basketful of chunks of French bread! Back when I lived there, it was always white baguette, and it still is, sometimes, but these days you can get some really, really nice breads served! It is expected that one use a piece to mop up the juices left on one's plate. Jazz, we'll have to get you over to the Mountain Cup one of these days, if only so you can taste Ling's cooking - think Chinese with a French accent! To say nothing of the superb food that some of the other restaurants serve. Local specialities like ravioles (yes, that was meant to be an e on the end), and the wonderful cheeses sold in the Sunday morning and mid-week markets.....

I've just had lunch, I don't need to eat NOW!

Clare
09-19-2006, 10:19 AM
Fortune cookies are definitely American - you don't get them with Chinese meals here.

Chipping in...I've definitely had fortune cookies with chinese meals here although mainly up north rather than London.

Clare

mintypoppet
09-19-2006, 10:31 AM
I've never had fortune cookies with a meal in the UK, but you can definitely buy boxes of them at the Chinese supermarket near the Bullring (Birmingham).

As for olive oil, I miss seeing the acidity listed on the bottle, as they do in SW Europe. As far as I know, lower is better, but I imagine what 'low' is varies from country to country with the variety of olive.

It must be dinner time soon...

jazzpants
09-19-2006, 11:12 AM
Chipping in...I've definitely had fortune cookies with chinese meals here although mainly up north rather than London.
WOW!!! It made it to the UK. Then again, I'm fortunately to live in a city known for its divesity in culture (and therefore foods!!!) :yum:

Fortune cookies are definitely from the US though (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortune_cookie). There's a debate that it came from either San Francisco or Los Angeles, but the ruling is in favor of San Francisco. I never had fortune cookies when I was in Hong Kong as a little kid, so this is a treat for this immigrant!

TashaKat: I should send some fortune cookies over to you. Maybe you'll have better luck win the Lottory with the cookie's numbers. :P

jazzpants
09-19-2006, 11:43 AM
Fortune cookies are definitely American - you don't get them with Chinese meals here. However, bread with a meal is distinctively French - it wouldn't be a meal in France without a basketful of chunks of French bread! Back when I lived there, it was always white baguette, and it still is, sometimes, but these days you can get some really, really nice breads served! It is expected that one use a piece to mop up the juices left on one's plate. Yeah, I do know the French has a lot of baguette breads, but don't they normally eat it at the end of the meal instead of the beginning, along with cheeses and desserts? (I'll have to remember to thank my coworker friend from Germany for exposing me to this... :yum: )

I don't know then (about the origin of bread at a meal.) I never really got exposed to having bread with a meal 'til I came here to the US. (Yup! Hong Kong didn't have that either way back when...) *shrug* I usually skip that course anyway. (Unless the bread is fresh, hot and good or if it has unique favorings... then :twisted: :yum: )

Jazz, we'll have to get you over to the Mountain Cup one of these days, if only so you can taste Ling's cooking - think Chinese with a French accent! To say nothing of the superb food that some of the other restaurants serve. Local specialities like ravioles (yes, that was meant to be an e on the end), and the wonderful cheeses sold in the Sunday morning and mid-week markets..... Chinese with a French accent. Should be interesting... :yum:

Another thing for Nova to look forward to if he does come back to San Francisco... cheeses!!! TONS of cheese!!! All local California cheese and no offense to Wisconsin, but we got a lot of GOOOOOD cheeses here too!

And yes, we have LOTS of farmers markets too... a huge one over near the ferry building on Saturday mornings, I believe... But of course, nothing compared to the one in Paris (from what I've saw on Paula Dean's European Vacation Special on FoodTV. I want that rotisserie chicken with potatoes in chicken drippings!!! :yum: )

NoVa Sk8r
09-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Another thing for Nova to look forward to if he does come back to San Francisco... cheeses!!! TONS of cheese!!! All local California cheese and no offense to Wisconsin, but we got a lot of GOOOOOD cheeses here too! Ick--I hate most cheeses. When in Napa, I happened into a cheese shop (after the chocolate shop :halo: ) and had to leave because of the off-putting aromas.

And yes, we have LOTS of farmers markets too... a huge one over near the ferry building on Saturday mornings, I believe... But of course, nothing compared to the one in Paris (from what I've saw on Paula Dean's European Vacation Special on FoodTV. I want that rotisserie chicken with potatoes in chicken drippings!!! :yum: )I saw that episode a few times. She is too funny!

flying~camel
09-19-2006, 04:01 PM
Open for business:

I had my first lesson with my new freestyle coach on Sunday and it was the best lesson I've had in a long time! :P

She retooled a couple of things in my flip and it was HUGE! Then, she fixed my lutz to the point where I kept falling on it because my body wasn't used to the height and speed coming out of it! 8O

Shut down:

I was really clumsy on the Sunday session and kept having those upper thigh smacking falls that left me with two red & sore legs.

Rusty Blades
09-19-2006, 06:23 PM
There's a thread for this week's progress reports over here:

http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=21629

doubletoe
09-19-2006, 06:59 PM
Awe Jazz, are you telling me they don't just "go away" all by themselves!!?? I am disillusioned!

They don't ever go away by themselves, but sometimes they go away when you buy new blades! :D That's what happened with those pesky toepick scratches on my back power circles (crossovers) when I got new blades mounted over the weekend. The more rocker you have left, the farther away that bottom pick is from the ice, heh heh. ;)

WhisperSung
09-19-2006, 07:20 PM
Thanks for all the congratulations, guys! I still can't believe I passed (and would feel better if I had the test forms in my hands, but they haven't been sent to me quite yet!). There's got to be a place in my brain that has a permanent memory dent because of these moves. I can't believe I'm finally done with moves that circle around the ends of the rink (the first two patterns on novice have them, and one on intermediate did, too), because I hate them! I always run into the boards, heh.

Now onwards to Novice Free, assuming I ever get better from this illness. My doctor thinks it might be mono again (can you get mono more than once? If so, this is definitely bad luck!). I haven't skated since the test, but at least I can say I got the job done before getting sick this time. Last time I had to cut myself from the test schedule a week before I took the test due to mono. Ick.

Anyway, it's 7p.m., and it's off to bed. I actually have to drag myself in to work tomorrow (it's my last day) to clear up my desk and go through an exit interview. Then I have a few more days to rest up before my new job starts next Monday. Who knew adult life would be so busy? I certainly didn't when I finished school last year. :P

doubletoe
09-19-2006, 07:57 PM
Whispersung, when are you planning to take the Novice Freestyle test, and what elements on that test do you expect to be a challenge for you? What are your competition goals for the upcoming season? And finally, how old are you and how long have you been skating?

:) Doubletoe

jazzpants
09-19-2006, 09:00 PM
They don't ever go away by themselves, but sometimes they go away when you buy new blades! :D That's what happened with those pesky toepick scratches on my back power circles (crossovers) when I got new blades mounted over the weekend. The more rocker you have left, the farther away that bottom pick is from the ice, heh heh. ;)Heh heh heh... can't use that excuse for me! When I got my purple boots, I was still "scratchy edge." :x :evil: :lol:

Maybe I should upgrade from my MK Pros to Gold Stars or something? LOL!!!

WhisperSung
09-20-2006, 03:37 PM
Hi doubletoe!

I don't actually know when I can take my Novice Free. I start a new job on Monday, and it's 8-5p.m. and I have a 90 day probationary period, so I can't take a day off to take a morning test. There are a few evening tests in my area, so maybe one of those?

Basically, I have the program together but I need to start working on my actual performance aspects (because I tend to keep my eyes and head down to the ice and just go through the motions. . .not very artistic!). I think the double-double combination will be a bit of a challenge for me. I tend to be better with double toe-double toe, but we're going to try a double salchow-double toe since it goes with the music and choreography better. Other than that, the camel-back camel spin is always a challenge (I can do the back one fine, but getting into the first one is always a pain for me), and then finally, just getting through a 3 minute program without passing out is a good enough challenge! I have asthma!

My competition goals? Hmm. . .well, ideally, I'd love to qualify through Adult Mids to skate in the Championship Masters group at Adult Nationals. If not, I just want to skate a strong, clean program at Adult Nationals and have just as much fun meeting people as I did the first time around last year in Dallas (and I wouldn't mind getting that stupid double lutz of mine more consistent, either!).

As for age and how long I've been skating, I'm 22, and I started skating at age 7 in a learn to skate class. I sort of did that on and off until I was 14 which is when I started testing. I got through Intermediate Moves and Free when I was 17 but sort of hit a wall on Novice moves for the next 5 years. I tested sort of sporadically throughout college but never passed the thing. Then I took a 2 year hiatus from testing to really make sure I was doing everything correctly, tested last week, and finally passed the sucker!

Honestly, I like adult skating a lot more than standard track. People seem so much friendlier, and I love going to the events and just cheering anyone who does something that's difficult for them. To me, that's what skating was about to begin with: meeting people and challenging yourself to overcome some fear (like performing in front of people!).

Okay. . .sorry for the long response. I'm finally feeling better from my illness and now I'm chatty! :P

Whispersung, when are you planning to take the Novice Freestyle test, and what elements on that test do you expect to be a challenge for you? What are your competition goals for the upcoming season? And finally, how old are you and how long have you been skating?

:) Doubletoe

doubletoe
09-20-2006, 05:40 PM
Hi doubletoe!

Okay. . .sorry for the long response. I'm finally feeling better from my illness and now I'm chatty! :P

Ahhh, to be 22 again. . . Sigh.
Then again, somewhere out there is a 60-year old saying, "Ahhh, to be 41 again. . ." :lol:

I went to AN for the first time in 2005 but skipped this year (I was too exhausted from testing up to Gold in such a hurry and knew I wouldn't qualify for Champ. Gold anyway). But I'll be looking forward to seeing you in Chicago! My goal is to qualify for Championship Gold this time, so I have LOTS of work to do before then!

Good luck with your new job and your test! (Hopefully, you can get an evening test session and have a "doctor's appointment" right before it so you can leave work early and warm up first!).

WhisperSung
09-20-2006, 10:37 PM
Thanks, doubletoe!

If I don't qualify for the Championship Masters at AN, that's fine. I'm still planning to go in an open event like I did last year. I really get nervous being in front of people, so I'm just glad when I can muster up the courage to get out there and do something!

Did you pass a bunch of tests all at once? Congrats at Gold! That's a great accomplishment, too :)

I used to compare my testing progress to those of others at my rink (younger people still in school). I don't do that anymore, and I'm trying to take more of a relaxed stance. I'll pass 'em when I pass 'em. I put so much pressure on myself to pass my Novice moves OR ELSE that I tended to freak out on test day and shut down. Never again (hopefully!).

Nice to meet you and hope to see you in Chicago! :)

doubletoe
09-21-2006, 12:10 PM
Did you pass a bunch of tests all at once? Congrats at Gold! That's a great accomplishment, too :)

Well, I surprised myself by winning Silver II at Nationals (there were 40 of us, so I had just been hoping to make it to FR), which meant--to me anyway--that I needed to compete the following season at Gold. I didn't even know what moves were on the Gold MIF test at the time, so it was a real challenge getting from that point to passing both the Gold MIF and FS tests by early November, which is our club's last test session of the year (the January test session wouldn't have been in time for the Sectionals/AN deadline). Miraculously, I managed to pull it off and pass both tests in one try, but I was just kind of burned out after that! I'm planning to take the Intermediate MIF test in November this year, but there's no pressure on that one because I don't need to pass it in order to compete. I love that!! :)

WhisperSung
09-24-2006, 02:03 AM
Wow! Gold at AN is great. Congratulations! I competed in Masters Novice I & II and got third, but I was just happy to be there. That was the first time I had competed in 3-4 years and it was a lot more fun, let me tell you!

That's sort of how I feel about Novice Moves. When I was a teen, I was putting too much pressure on myself to pass those moves so I could compete and inevitably I would mess it up at every test session. Now that I can compete in Masters with the tests I've already passed, the pressure's off, and I can just test for "fun". Anything else I pass is just extra icing on the cake.

Good luck in November on those Intermediate Moves! I'm just glad to be done with moves that go cw and ccw around the entire rink with end patterns (like the back outside 3-turns on intermediate the rockers and the forward inside to back inside 3's on Novice. . .always felt like I was going to run into the boards!).