View Full Version : Skating Forums meet up in Virginia

Terri C
09-11-2006, 07:12 AM
Sk8pdx is coming to visit family here at the end of the month and would like to meet some forums folks. I would like to extend a invitation to all who could come to meet us at my rink in Southeastern Virginia.

Date: Saturday, September 30, 2006
Place: Chilled Ponds IceSports Complex, Chesapeake, VA
Time: 11am-1:50 pm (these are freestyle sessions)

You may PM me for more information and here is the rink website:
www.ChilledPonds.com

The rink is closely located off of Interstate 64 and there are several hotels, restaurants, a mall and movie theatres nearby.

Isk8NYC
09-11-2006, 07:15 AM
That's a beautiful rink! Have a great time!

Sk8pdx
09-16-2006, 08:02 PM
Hey, :P I am excited to see the VA Beach area! I actually grew up around Woodbridge, Manassas,& Dale City areas (graduated from Potomac Sr. High School. Go Panthers!) I may even drive up to Northern VA to visit some of my old stomping gounds durning the week I am there. I am certain some of our forum friends can suggest great places to skate there as well.:)

One thing will be certain out of this forum meet up. Terri C and I will be passing Bronze MIF in December. I pinky swear!:bow:

itfigures
09-17-2006, 06:39 PM
Owww Man!
Next time everyone is meeting in New York! 8-)

How will everyone know who you are? Everyone who is in the forum (who is going) should wear the same color.
Like a white shirt or someting.:)

Terri C
09-17-2006, 06:45 PM
Owww Man!
Next time everyone is meeting in New York! 8-)

How will everyone know who you are? Everyone who is in the forum (who is going) should wear the same color.
Like a white shirt or someting.:)

Actually, there was a meet up in NY earlier in the summer when Jazzpants came in to visit family!
I'm really the only adult freestyler at my rink on a regular basis, so if there are adult skaters there that I do not know, I can pretty much assume it a forums member!!

Sk8pdx
09-17-2006, 07:20 PM
Owww Man!
Next time everyone is meeting in New York!

...Actually, my husband has family that lives in NYC. If I had enough vacation, we probably would have made time to include that in our east coast trip. I hope to skate at Wollman Rink someday. I have only seen pictures. It seems like a beautiful place to skate with the city skyline in the background. :) (bummer if it is raining though...:roll: )

Skate@Delaware
09-17-2006, 07:46 PM
Ok, I'm not making any promises, but we are going to try to come down!!!!! Hubby is going to make sure he doesn't work that day, we will leave at oh-dark hundred in the morning and drive down.. I really want to see everyone and I think it's great to skate at another rink every now and again!

Afterwards, we are going to try to hit the Navy base and show the kids (daughter is enlisting in the Navy and this will give her an opportunity to see the ships up close).

Fingers are crossed!!!!!

Terri C
09-17-2006, 07:50 PM
Ok, I'm not making any promises, but we are going to try to come down!!!!! Hubby is going to make sure he doesn't work that day, we will leave at oh-dark hundred in the morning and drive down.. I really want to see everyone and I think it's great to skate at another rink every now and again!

Afterwards, we are going to try to hit the Navy base and show the kids (daughter is enlisting in the Navy and this will give her an opportunity to see the ships up close).

Fingers are crossed!!!!!

Woo hoo!! C'mon guys the more the merrier!!

jazzpants
09-17-2006, 10:21 PM
...Actually, my husband has family that lives in NYC. If I had enough vacation, we probably would have made time to include that in our east coast trip. I hope to skate at Wollman Rink someday. I have only seen pictures. It seems like a beautiful place to skate with the city skyline in the background. :) (bummer if it is raining though...:roll: )There's also the new Aviator rink in Brooklyn that just opened or something. I'm dying to try it too!

Wollman Rink is gorgeous during the morning FS session, but don't go during public session or you'll be "cattle" along with the rest of the tourist. (MOOOO!!!) I would stay away from Rockfellor Center. It's a small rink and there's a LOOONG (as in 2 hour) wait... and Christmas time is way too cold to be waiting two hours in the cold on an outdoor rink. (The ice is very hard too!!!) :(

Yes, I am planning to go around Christmas time (Dates are now Dec 19th-28th this year.) I'll start a new thread when we're closer to the date. 8-)

Sk8pdx
09-18-2006, 07:12 PM
Skate@Delaware: So KEWEL if you and the rest of your fam can come! I am crossing my fingers and my toes!

Jazzpants: Work never allows me time off during the week of Christmas so I usually travel during the "off" season. I will take note of freestyle sessions at Wollman Rink. :) I did take a peak a the website for the new Aviator rink when it was mentioned in another thread a while back. I think it is neat that there is such a variety of things to do. (Skating, Gymnastics, Soccer etc...)

and speaking of new rinks...(those of you in the Northern VA area might know,)...Wasn't there a new rink that opened in Alexandria VA recently? or was it Arlington? or was it *expected* to be open soon? I can't recall where I read about it. Nor can I even remember what the name of it was. ...:??

mikawendy
09-18-2006, 07:13 PM
we will leave at oh-dark hundred in the morning and drive down

I love it-- "oh-dark hundred" :D

I have a friend who calls it "stupid o'clock" as in "the dogs woke me up at stupid o'clock because they wanted to go outside" :lol: :lol:

I wish I could make it, but I have a boot fitting in Waldorf, MD, that morning and wouldn't make it at all in time to skate.

Sk8pdx
09-18-2006, 07:34 PM
I love it-- ".....I wish I could make it, but I have a boot fitting in Waldorf, MD, that morning and wouldn't make it at all in time to skate.

...Well, at least if your boot fitting is rescheduled, at least you'll have a "Plan B" to come and see us!:P

Skate@Delaware
09-18-2006, 07:43 PM
and we are still waiting for the call from Mike about our boots................impatient aren't we??? He did say it would take 6 weeks plus....mostly on the plus side. So we are talking about the end of September, early October (not enough time to break in for HC I'm afraid).

jazzpants
09-18-2006, 07:44 PM
I did take a peak a the website for the new Aviator rink when it was mentioned in another thread a while back. I think it is neat that there is such a variety of things to do. (Skating, Gymnastics, Soccer etc...)They already have a place like that for NYC. It's called Chelsea Piers (http://www.chelseapiers.com/)!!! :lol: But good to know there's another rink in Brooklyn (and a year round one to boot too!!!) :D :bow:

I heard that San Francisco had proposals for something similar to Chelsea Piers but near Fisherman's Wharf (http://www.examiner.com/a-207306~Chelsea_Piers_could_run_recreation_area_at_ piers_27_31.html). (In fact the same people who run Chelsea Piers...) But tons of politics involved. The neighbors who live there want to keep it as an open pier and not deal with the traffic. There's costs involve with the taxpapers there. :roll:

Sk8pdx
09-18-2006, 09:14 PM
I heard that San Francisco had proposals for something similar to Chelsea Piers but near Fisherman's Wharf. (In fact the same people who run Chelsea Piers...) But tons of politics involved. The neighbors who live there want to keep it as an open pier and not deal with the traffic. There's costs involve with the taxpapers there.

yeah, money usually trumps over politics. Cha-ching! That would be cool though since there is so much tourism at Fishermans Wharf. Example: My honey could go see Alcatraz while I skate guilt free! :lol:

NoVa Sk8r
09-18-2006, 09:19 PM
and speaking of new rinks...(those of you in the Northern VA area might know,)...Wasn't there a new rink that opened in Alexandria VA recently? or was it Arlington? or was it *expected* to be open soon? I can't recall where I read about it. Nor can I even remember what the name of it was. ...:??It's the Capitals Ice Center (http://www.capitalsicecenter.com/) (in Ballston area of Arlington, VA). It *should* be opening soon. Before the website switched formats for its "Available Ice," it listed an adult public session on Wednesday, 7:45-9 PM. Sounds promising.

Sk8pdx
09-20-2006, 01:12 AM
Hi NoVa Sk8r,
Thank you for the info! Next time we'll plan a little longer stay in the northern area. :)

Skate@Delaware
09-20-2006, 01:33 PM
Well, into the best-laid plans....:frus:

I just got awarded a kitchen pass because it seems daughter "forgot" about her bf's homecoming that day....doh! So, to keep her from being home all alone and unsupervised (not a good idea), husband will be staying home. So, I think I might drive down after work on Friday. It seems to be better that way, as skating after driving for 4 hours isn't always a good idea...I'll think it over and see how I feel. Still kicking it around (not too keen on driving at night either).

He's sort of bummed out about not going, but he freaked out when I told him it would be a freestyle session (he is new to our club-ice sessions and very uncomfortable on those).

Terri C
09-20-2006, 06:12 PM
Well, into the best-laid plans....:frus:

I just got awarded a kitchen pass because it seems daughter "forgot" about her bf's homecoming that day....doh! So, to keep her from being home all alone and unsupervised (not a good idea), husband will be staying home. So, I think I might drive down after work on Friday. It seems to be better that way, as skating after driving for 4 hours isn't always a good idea...I'll think it over and see how I feel. Still kicking it around (not too keen on driving at night either).

He's sort of bummed out about not going, but he freaked out when I told him it would be a freestyle session (he is new to our club-ice sessions and very uncomfortable on those).

I can hear you on the driving/skating thing. I will not drive up the same day I will compete, if the distance is 4 hours or more.

Skate@Delaware
09-20-2006, 09:21 PM
I can hear you on the driving/skating thing. I will not drive up the same day I will compete, if the distance is 4 hours or more.
Yeah, but since we are meeting to skate in a more friendly-like manner....(right?) then it won't matter too much about the drive. I'm concerned if my back stiffens up (sucks getting older) but I have some nice stretches to do....and I now have a whirlpool tub to get into once I get home on Saturday night ;)

Sk8pdx
09-21-2006, 12:32 AM
Hi Skate@Delaware
I don't know that I would drive 4 hours the same day for a competition either but for the love of it and the great company... oh yeah!:P I have driven to see skating friends in Seattle from time to time. (which is a 3 1/2 hour drive from where I live) Time driving and $ spent on gas isn't half as valuable to me as the company I get to skate with! With the cruise control on, music blasting, I do ankle rolls and leg stretches. I also shift my seat positions so that I am not sitting in the same position for too long. I also make a few pit stops along the way to step out and walk a little.(Stops are necessary with my Starbucks Triple Venti NF NW Mocha!) If I left at 9 am, I would make it to a 1:30 public session in plenty of time. Besides, I just love driving. It gives me time to think. I am still crossing my fingers!

;)

Skate@Delaware
09-21-2006, 06:05 AM
I figure, get up at 6 am, out by 6:15 (don't worry about the makeup and stuff 8O ), coffee and breakfast at McD's, xmradio blasting, and the isometric (whatever they are called) exercises where you tense and relax your muscles while sitting. Yes, pit stops are required (I think bladders shrink when you get older...:lol: )

Oh yeah!!!!!!

Terri C
09-21-2006, 05:50 PM
IYes, pit stops are required (I think bladders shrink when you get older...:lol:Oh yeah!!!!!!
)

From my experience driving on US 13- you will need a pit stop before you get to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel- it's 20 miles long!!

Isk8NYC
09-22-2006, 09:54 AM
My husband likes to stop at the rest stop ON the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel. He just loves the view from the fishing pier. Bathrooms are usually pretty clean and the kids love the gift shop.

Skate@Delaware
09-22-2006, 10:26 AM
I haven't been down that way in a while...I usually do try to stop at the rest stop. When we were little kids, we'd go down to Norfolk to visit my aunt, my dad used to really get my mom (he was quite the joker)! He'd wait until we were deep in the tunnel, hit the wipers so only water would squirt out and start yelling that the tunnel was cracked!!!! My mom would start screaming!!! She hated going on those trips!!! Of course, we'd be in the back seat cracking up!!!!! :lol:

She longs for the days when you used to take the ferry across (that was a long time ago).

Sk8pdx
09-22-2006, 10:40 PM
...my dad used to really get my mom (he was quite the joker)! He'd wait until we were deep in the tunnel, hit the wipers so only water would squirt out and start yelling that the tunnel was cracked!!!! My mom would start screaming!!! She hated going on those trips!!! Of course, we'd be in the back seat cracking up!!!!!

ROTFLMAO! Hilarious! :lol: :lol: :lol:
The bags are packed and ready. See you all next Sunday! 8-)

Skate@Delaware
09-23-2006, 06:41 AM
ROTFLMAO! Hilarious! :lol: :lol: :lol:
The bags are packed and ready. See you all next Sunday! 8-)
I thought it was on Saturday???

Terri C
09-23-2006, 07:05 AM
Yes, it's next Saturday!! Can't wait!!
For anyone else who wants to come, remember, you can PM me and....
THE MORE, THE MERRIER!!!

Casey
09-23-2006, 12:49 PM
I was in Virginia and surrounding area last weekend. Didn't skate there, but I did attend a public session at Skate Frederick in Frederick, Maryland. :)

I will be in Martinsburg, WV for pretty much the entire month of November, so I hope to visit another rink or two during that time if anybody has suggestions... :)

jenlyon60
09-23-2006, 07:36 PM
There is or was an ice rink in Hagerstown. Don't know if it is still open or if it has any freestyle or public sessions. Here is a link

http://www.hagerstownice.org/freestyle.php

About 8 miles east of Leesburg VA in Ashburn is the Ashburn Ice House. They have lots of freestyle and dance sessions. www.ashburnice.com

Also about another 8 miles east of where Ashburn ice House is, is Skatequest Reston (www.skatequest.com). M-F all day freestyle (6AM-5:50pm). And in Fairfax there's the Fairfax Ice Arena (www.fairfaxicearena.com)

You know about Skate Frederick in Frederick MD.

Beccapoo2003
09-23-2006, 10:29 PM
Norfolk is where I grew up. Too bad we didn't even have a skating rink in those days :cry: So I did the surfing thang instead. You guys are bringing up memories. I remember fishing off of the pier on the CP Bay Bridge Tunnel, and seeing the beautiful lights of the bridge at night. Last winter I visited my mother and got to skate on the temporary rink in the middle of downtown! Who'd a thunk it....outdoor ice in Norfolk!
You guys have a great time!
Becca

Sk8pdx
09-23-2006, 11:53 PM
S@D: oops, my bad! Yes,I meant next Saturday. (blonde moment :halo: ). We arrived here today. :) off to ride the coasters at King's Dominion tomorrow. wheee!

Casey: I know a great mexican restaurant in Frederick called "La Paz" in the historic area. Fish tacos to die for! and the margueritas are good too!

Terri C: (whispering) ...If you skate it, they will come! he he he.

Terri C
09-28-2006, 10:37 AM
Bumping the thread up.... only TWO more days!!
I'm anticipating that the freestyle will not be too crowded for Saturday as most of the regulars will be at a competition in Richmond.
So, if anyone wants to come at the last minute, PM me so I'll know to look for you!!

Terri C
09-30-2006, 02:50 PM
It was great skating with and meeting sk8pdx and Skate@Delaware today.
We also had the benefit of a nearly empty session as well, though we had a couple of Pre Juv/ Juv skaters to dodge!
I want Skate@Delaware's spiral!!

jazzpants
09-30-2006, 10:35 PM
I want Skate@Delaware's spiral!!So do I (remember the video I saw of her...) :twisted:

Glad you guys had a good time... :D

Skate@Delaware
10-01-2006, 06:22 AM
I was going to post last night, but was soooooooo tired by the time I got home, I had to get my whirlpool bath and hop into bed.

What a great time!!!! It was wonderful to meet Terri C and Sk8pdx in person! I really enjoyed watching them run through their bronze patterns--having never seen them before. Terri ran through her program for us and it was very nice (great music). I ran through mine but bailed on my jump combo, drunken sailor, and almost ran my toe-loop into the boards 8O but didn't have any little munchkins to worry about decapitating on my back spiral!!!

We tried some loops and sit spins together, as well as some other things. It was really great actually skating with other adults that aren't LTS!!!!:lol:

The rink wasn't crowded at all-I had fun almost getting killed by the young ladies as they whizzed by at a million miles an hour; very nice young ladies.8O The rink was also warm-I was very surprised! Much warmer than my home rink; Terri did say that the other sheet of ice (the hockey rink) is much colder!!!! They also have a nice pro shop-I'm kicking myself for not remembering my son's measurements for his helmet size; he needs a new one and he would have been really jazzed to have gotten a new one!

Anyway, after 2 hours of skating, we went to a local eatery, Kelly's Bar & Grill. The food was really great, and our waiter, Todd, was friendly.

Finally, it was time to head home-Terri led the way and I followed her out of the mess of I-64 to Rt. 13 to the tunnel. I stopped at the tunnel gift shop for the required gifts for my kids (they collect keychains). I did refuse to stop and buy firecrackers for them, however.....:twisted:

So, here is the picture, taken outside of the bar.

http://tkahline.sk8rland.com/TKahline/Pictures%20and%20Video/Pictures/Skating%20Friends/Chesapeake%202006%20Skate%20Meet-Up.jpg

So, who is hosting the next Skate Meet-Up???????

aussieskater
10-01-2006, 07:15 AM
So, here is the picture, taken outside of the bar.

http://tkahline.sk8rland.com/pictures/index.php?a=preview&i=Chesapeake+2006+Skate+Meet-Up.jpg

So, who is hosting the next Skate Meet-Up???????

Nice photo - and great spiral! Do you rent it out?? (I'd just like to shock my coach with it...just once... :twisted: )

BTW, who's who in the photo?

DallasSkater
10-01-2006, 08:10 AM
Thanks for sharing the picture. Sounds like a wonderful meet up.
Skate@ Delaware...awesome spiral! Glad you included that too. I can't remember if you said you were a dancer as a child?

Isk8NYC
10-01-2006, 09:12 AM
I'm glad you had such a good time! Thanks for sharing the great picture.

jazzpants
10-01-2006, 12:43 PM
So, who is hosting the next Skate Meet-Up???????I guess it will be when I'm visiting NYC again in December and I'm hoping it will be at the new Aviator rink in Brooklyn! Maybe I can get a lesson there or something so they can watch me miraculously get a loop... :P :lol: :twisted:

BTW, who's who in the photo?
L to R: Terri C, Skate@Deleware, Sk8pdx

Debbie S
10-01-2006, 01:03 PM
L to R: Terri C, Skate@Deleware, Sk8pdxActually, Skate@Del is on the right and Sk8pdx (by process of elimination ;) ) is in the middle. :)

Skate@Delaware
10-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Actually, Skate@Del is on the right and Sk8pdx (by process of elimination ;) ) is in the middle. :)
Shows how tired I was.....forgot to do that-sorry!!

Skate@ Delaware...awesome spiral! Glad you included that too. I can't remember if you said you were a dancer as a child?
Thanks! No, never took dance as a child (showed horses and did barrel racing, but that's another story)...I just work extra hard at stretching due to a hip deformity that has caused an unusually tight inner hamstring. Plus myofascial release and massage. I should tape my stretch routine for you guys.

I guess it will be when I'm visiting NYC again in December and I'm hoping it will be at the new Aviator rink in Brooklyn! Maybe I can get a lesson there or something so they can watch me miraculously get a loop... :P :lol: :twisted:
Well, if that's gonna happen, maybe I should go...so I can get some loop mojo!!!!! and I need some spin mojo as well

jazzpants
10-01-2006, 02:22 PM
Actually, Skate@Del is on the right and Sk8pdx (by process of elimination ;) ) is in the middle. :)Oops!!! Sorry! :oops:

Terri was easy to get (the red hair was a giveaway.) The other two was tougher... even comparing to the Skate Annapolis spiral I saw, I had a tough guess which is S@D and which is Sk8pdx. :oops:

Well, if that's gonna happen, maybe I should go...so I can get some loop mojo!!!!! and I need some spin mojo as wellWell, can't help you on the loop mojo... I don't have no stinkin' loop. :evil: I might be able to give you some spin mojo though, since my spins are probably better than my jumps, but that's not saying much either! :P :twisted:

Sk8pdx
10-01-2006, 09:54 PM
Jazzpants and Debbie S: :) yup, that is me in the middle.

S@D: Would you be so kind as to send us your stretching routine for your spirals. They really are awesome. ... and your scratch spins rock too!

Terri C. Wish I had a rink and a pro shop like yours back home. I too would have a hard time leaving.

Had a blast meeting you and surely we will have opportunities to meet again either by purpose or by chance. Headed home tomorrow. I miss my kitty.

Skate@Delaware
10-03-2006, 08:05 AM
It's a combination of moves done at the barre (not at the bar...that comes later :lol: ).

It's probably best if I tape it for you and upload it, as it's hard to explain, I don't know the terminology....I never took ballet (however I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express at one time <g>)

When I got home, my kitties bombarded me!!!! They also acted as though they hadn't eaten in a week (although my husband had just fed them)!!!! They are such good actors!

Isk8NYC
10-03-2006, 09:22 AM
When I got home, my kitties bombarded me!!!! They also acted as though they hadn't eaten in a week (although my husband had just fed them)!!!! They are such good actors!Did you say "kitties" or "kiddies"? LOL

Skate@Delaware
10-03-2006, 09:48 AM
Did you say "kitties" or "kiddies"? LOL
Kitty cats......LOL!!!!

Sk8pdx
10-03-2006, 11:04 PM
Speaking of kitties:) , got off the plane and B-lined right to the vet to pick up my kitty from boarding. she could not stop purring the moment she entered the house. I slept with her kneading my head all through the night.

Thank you S@Del. I will look forward to your video. I will also try and video my program for you as well. When it is ready I will PM you (and Terri C) to spare others any frightful agony. I am looking forward to more fun forum gatherings wherever our skating journeys take us. 8-)

jazzpants
10-04-2006, 12:25 AM
Thank you S@Del. I will look forward to your video. I will also try and video my program for you as well. When it is ready I will PM you (and Terri C) to spare others any frightful agony.AWWWW, MAN!!! I wanna see!!! :mrgreen: :P

I wish I have videos but the file is so huge that it'll probably max out my disk quota on Casey's site! :lol: :halo:

Skate@Delaware
10-04-2006, 09:54 AM
AWWWW, MAN!!! I wanna see!!! :mrgreen: :P

I wish I have videos but the file is so huge that it'll probably max out my disk quota on Casey's site! :lol: :halo:

Well, we can always snail-mail the videos!!!! I can put it onto dvd and mail it but I'm sure mine will fit onto Casey's site, as I do plan on editing it. I'm hoping it works out ok...The place I do my stretching doesn't have the best light but I'm hoping for the best, and for a quiet day at the gym (it's back by the racquetball courts so it does get noisy so I will play it by ear).

Don't forget, if it's short enough you can always upload it onto youtube!!!!