View Full Version : Strange skating dreams

samba
09-10-2006, 06:01 AM
It's probably because my rink has been closed for 2 months now for refurbishing, but I am having this dream that I am skating and the ice is melting as I skate, everyone is trying skate on the few patches that are left and it gets worse and worse as everyone is crowding on what's left, I never find out what happens because I wake up, it's a bit like the falling dream where you never hit the bottom.

Does anyone else have any funny skating dreams?

Sonic
09-10-2006, 06:26 AM
It's funny you should ask Samba, I've had this same skating dream a few times now.

I'm on the ice, and suddenly I can skate - I mean really skate. My jumps are solid - and I mean they're real jumps, not just timorous hops. So I start doing doubles. Yep, in dream skating I can DO DOUBLES!

Everytime I jump it's like time slows down...I can really feel each rotation, and hear the sound of the blade as I land. It's spooky because it feels so real

Then I go to attempt a Lutz but have to bail out because there's someone in the way - that's usually when I wake up.:cry:

Okay skating pop-psychologists out there - what's that all about? - and what's more, how do I make it happen in real skating life lol!

S xxx

Mrs Redboots
09-10-2006, 07:33 AM
Well, my skating dreams are invariably like Samba's - I never actually make it on to the ice, or we are swimming instead of skating, or something like that.... all very weird....

Clare
09-10-2006, 07:45 AM
Perfect timing for this thread as I slept really fitfully last night and had the oddest dream-first one I've had about skating, actually.

I got to the rink in plenty of time for my class but then it somehow took me the longest time to lace my skates so that, by the time I had done it, the class had already started without me.

Then, as I went to step on to the ice, I realised it was completely dark and all I could see of the class were some very shadowy figures across the other side of the rink. The oddest thing was that, while I was freaking out, wondering how the heck I could skate in pitch darkness, everyone else seemed to be acting as though it was perfectly normal!!

Clare

samba
09-10-2006, 01:23 PM
I'm on the ice, and suddenly I can skate - I mean really skate. My jumps are solid - and I mean they're real jumps, not just timorous hops. So I start doing doubles. Yep, in dream skating I can DO DOUBLES!
Me too I'm brilliant in my dreams, but then I wake up with hubby telling me to stop kicking him.

Okay skating pop-psychologists out there - what's that all about? - and what's more, how do I make it happen in real skating life lol!

That's the big question, I think my ice melting dreams and Mrs Redboots swimming dream are similar patly because of lousy wet ice we sometimes have in the good weather, my diminishing ice is the lack of it in the first place, we now have a new date for openiing by the way which is 25th September and the Adult champs are at the end of that week!!

The laces mentioned by Clare could be a fear of being late for a much loved hobbie, the dreams of doubles are obvious ambitions, but alas for me they will always be dreams but nice ones.

AndreaUK
09-10-2006, 03:42 PM
I very often dream that Im skating, however ive dreamt this from being a little kid even before I became a skater. The mad thing is when I dream, I skate a million times better than I can actually skate in reality. Its actualy quite nice when I dream Im skating.

Andrea xx

katiepeach
09-10-2006, 04:49 PM
When I was working on my double sal, I had a dream that I landed it, and I could practically feel the way it felt to land it, so I thought about that feeling and tried to replicate it, and a couple weeks later I landed my double sal in real life.

Joan
09-10-2006, 06:22 PM
I've had a recurring skating dream involving either melting ice or having to skate up and down hills - either way, there is a limited amount of ice available! There must be some hidden psychological explanation for this 8O

golddancer21
09-10-2006, 08:21 PM
I've only ever had two dreams about skating. The first dream was when I was in high school, the night before long program at synchro nationals. I dreamt that we had gotten our international assignment and that we were being sent to Africa! My teammates were riding elephants and we all had safari hats on. It was strange!

The second was also several years ago before I took my senior moves for the first time, and I dreamt about the test. I skated really well (in the dream) and then I remember the judges asking to see my power threes with the rockers 4 times. I thought it was really odd that they kept asking to see them over and over again!

ETA: umm, weird, where'd my post count go?! I definitely have posted more than once... hmmm...

DallasSkater
09-10-2006, 09:19 PM
Many in psychiatry believe that dreams cannot really be interpreted as meaningful as it involves too many brain functions and our brain puts things in story format since we comprehend data that way. The dream would then be simply a story format of lots of different pieces of data stored in long term memory. It is why a skater might have a skater dream while a golfer would have a theme involving golf mixed with something they saw on TV briefly etc.

So don't take this too seriously but those that believe in interpretation would believe:

Dreaming of skating typically involves a person being goal oriented and focused. When skating without difficulty of "melting ice" it would suggest that the individual is feeling confident with current life happenings and seeing success and fluid motion in goals orientation!

The Ice depicted in melting or thin or limited suggests the dreamer is experiencing feelings of being too passive about an area of their life. Their day time situation is one of caution about taking too many recent risks that should not be logically taken. Because it is defying their own logic they are internally aware that the risk odds are high. They are problem solving with their emotions rather than their logic and they know it deep down.

Rarely are dreams so direct that the interpretation would be about ice experience. Likely it is depicted in ice skating theme as the dreamer is a skater. In other words, unlikely that it is about the risks involved in a new skill the dreamer is trying but more likely another area of their life!

Kind of fun to think about!

bbowie
09-10-2006, 10:55 PM
i got one really weird one last month.my rink was closed for a week for competition so i had this dream the night b4 it's open again.

I arrived there as usual, and found out they re-built the whole rink.It was in a weird "L" shape instead of the normal one.And i was trying to do my luts but realised the new rink wasnt long enough for me to do any jumps !!??(i mean jumps with speeds).:roll:

sexyskates
09-11-2006, 09:22 PM
I have the weird skating dreams also where the rink has a strange shape, or is in rooms of a house with furniture in the way of my skating, or has piles of snow on it. But in other dreams I have these fabulous huge jumps where I float as I rotate and land ever so softly, and I can do an axel with 8 rotations! Ah, and I'm still trying to land a clean axel in real life.

TimDavidSkate
09-11-2006, 09:26 PM
Yeps I had those dreams too
~ Rotating very easily on a 3 Lutz, 2Axel
~ Skating at Champions On Ice then turns into Stars on Ice
~ The ice turns into concrete or a water bed
~ Im wearing rental skates for competition
~ Im extremely late for a competition and so therefore I was eliminated (so stressful when I wake up from those)

Sk8pdx
09-11-2006, 10:57 PM
During the night: I have had a dream where I can actually backspin and it kept going and going and going....

During the day: I daydream about death spirals, throw salchows, and star lifts :D

doubletoe
09-12-2006, 12:03 AM
Based on what everyone is saying, it looks like two major types of skating dreams: the kind where you experience completing a jump or spin that you've never done before (usually in slow motion) and the skating anxiety dream, where the ice is melting, or you are in some other sort of situation that is awkward or stressful. I think that since we are skaters, our minds think in terms of skating and maybe when we have a skating anxiety dream, it might not even be skating that we're actually anxious about, but it expresses itself in a skating "story". But I also think we do some unconscious problem-solving as we sleep, and when we have those slow-motion multi-revolution jump dreams, we're trying to teach ourselves how to do them! ;)

jazzpants
09-12-2006, 12:27 AM
I have one of those dreams where I was at Pacific Coast Sectionals... and instead of how everything turned out last March, I had one of those scatterbrain moment where I lose one important thing and then I had to put something down to find that one important thing, only to lose that second item... it got to the point where I couldn't even find my skating dress and I ended up missing my event. An hour after the event, I'm still looking around looking for item #321 that I left b/c I put it down to look for item #320. Oh, dear.... 8O

KiZa_32
09-12-2006, 05:49 AM
i had a weird dream a couple of days ago....i was at a comp between me and my skating club and i can't even land a axel yet but i done a toe loop and it ended up being a triple and i done all these triples and doubles and then i somehow ended up at the olympics lol

Mrs Redboots
09-12-2006, 07:29 AM
I dreamt our rink was a twin-pad facility (if only!) and when we arrived for either practice or competition, not sure which, both were full of hockey skaters, and there was just a tiny coned-off area on one rink to skate on! I think we did get to chase them off one of the pads, though, but woke up before anything else happened.

My anxiety dreams are usually either skating or preaching.... including the classic ones where you have no programme/sermon and have to wing it. But for many years I used to dream that I'd started smoking again - it was such a relief to wake up and find I hadn't!

doubletoe
09-12-2006, 12:45 PM
I have one of those dreams where I was at Pacific Coast Sectionals... and instead of how everything turned out last March, I had one of those scatterbrain moment where I lose one important thing and then I had to put something down to find that one important thing, only to lose that second item... it got to the point where I couldn't even find my skating dress and I ended up missing my event. An hour after the event, I'm still looking around looking for item #321 that I left b/c I put it down to look for item #320. Oh, dear.... 8O

Ha ha! That sounds like one of my old travel anxiety dreams! I would be so lax about getting ready that I wouldn't bother to double check my flight time, then I would look at my ticket and realize my flight was leaving in just 2 hours and it was going to take an hour and a half to get to the airport. . . and it was an international flight. . . So I packed so fast I amazed myself, and as I miraculously ended up seated on the plane, I stopped to think about how I had managed to get packed so fast. Then it occurred to me I had forgotten to pack any shoes. . .

Mrs Redboots
09-13-2006, 06:52 AM
Last night I dreamt I was in a car with a judge who told me my back cross-cuts were horrible, but she would show me exactly how to fix them.

Alas, either I woke up or the dream changed the subject before she was able to show me!

Skate@Delaware
09-13-2006, 08:09 AM
I dream that I have perfect camels and sit spins and can do a double-salchow!!!

I also had a dream that I had the whole rink to myself, the lights were turned down and I put music on and just skated for myself, just feeling the music...and did the most fantastic job skating (double jumps and beautiful spins). In the bleachers, sitting in the dark was Dorothy Hamill and she was impressed enough to ask me to skate in her ice show. But when the lights were turned on I couldn't do anything. So I could only skate like a pro with the lights dimmed.

Weird, I know.

lovepairs
09-13-2006, 11:51 AM
I've had the "ice melting" dream a few times myself. But my favorite dreams are my double axel dreams. They are sort of in slow motion; very high double axels with plenty of hang time! I try not to wake up when having this dream! :P

Skate@Delaware
09-13-2006, 12:10 PM
Isn't it funny that most of us have the double-whatever in slo-mo? Just like tv or the movies!!!!

lovepairs
09-13-2006, 05:45 PM
This is one of the more interesting threads that I've read lately...now I'm wondering how we can use these dreams to improve our skating??? Ya know? Any ideas? I'm mean there must be a way to transfer what's in our subconscious to consciousness--especially, where the axel is concerned. 8O

Skate@Delaware
09-13-2006, 10:12 PM
This is one of the more interesting threads that I've read lately...now I'm wondering how we can use these dreams to improve our skating??? Ya know? Any ideas? I'm mean there must be a way to transfer what's in our subconscious to consciousness--especially, where the axel is concerned. 8O
Visualization is a very strong tool, especially with sports! If you can visualize yourself doing the move (correctly), then it becomes easier to do. I do this with my routine-picture myself skating to my music, in my costume and visualizing each element of my routine, done perfectly. I also used to do this with public speaking...visualize myself going in front of the audience, speaking, engaging their attention, etc. It really helped.

samba
09-14-2006, 12:59 AM
Visualization is a very strong tool, especially with sports! If you can visualize yourself doing the move (correctly), then it becomes easier to do. I do this with my routine-picture myself skating to my music, in my costume and visualizing each element of my routine, done perfectly. I also used to do this with public speaking...visualize myself going in front of the audience, speaking, engaging their attention, etc. It really helped.

I do this at work when the PC is on timer, I'm sure people think I'm on drugs!!

Skate@Delaware
09-14-2006, 06:05 AM
Ha! Nothing looks weirder than going through your routine (or parts of it) while at your desk. I have gotten the strangest looks!!! I don't care. My coworkers are used to me by now so they just shake their heads. Visitors don't know what to think 8O (my desk is a reception area). The closer I get to my competition, the more I do this.

lovepairs
09-14-2006, 07:59 PM
I was thinking about something more along the lines of taking the dream, putting it in a bottle, then drinking it, and Walla--DOUBLE AXEL!

cEnTaUrrrrrrr
09-14-2006, 08:11 PM
i'm not that obsessed...ahaha wow

samba
09-16-2006, 06:39 AM
i'm not that obsessed...ahaha wow

Me either!! you dont have to be mad to skate, but it does help:lol:

LilJen
09-16-2006, 10:47 AM
Yup, I've had skating-related dreams. Last night was only peripherally skating related: I was back at my parents and they were hosting a huge dinner party with lots of my friends from different phases of my life, and Johnny Weir was there (along with a few other D-list celebs) for some reason. Whatever!

SkatingOnClouds
09-17-2006, 03:30 AM
I have now had the same dream twice, so I am starting to think it might have meaning.

Both times I was doing the (Australian) Elementary 1 figures pattern back changes of edge and back 3 turns, and doing it well, with speed, flow and confidence. Which is not how I would do it right now, I can assure you.

I am a firm believer that dreams can give you messages but every person has their own interpretation. Whether the message for me is to commit to working towards taking this test, I don't know, but I am definitely thinking about it.