View Full Version : am i too old ?

xice_princessx
09-07-2006, 08:58 PM
im 16 and ive been goin skating once a week every saturday evening with my friends for the past 4 years but have been thinking about taking up private lessons i have applied at my local ice rink for lessons but am i too old to start now ? someone please reply xxx

Mercedeslove
09-08-2006, 02:29 AM
I started this March, I'm 27-years-old.

So if I am not too old, either are you. :-)

jcookie1982
09-08-2006, 06:43 PM
I'm 23, and just started skating a little less than a year ago, so you're definitely not too old. You're going to get older, wether you start skating or not, so why not start now.

Award
09-08-2006, 09:04 PM
im 16

oh my goodness! DinosaurrrRRRRRRrRR!!

But anyhow, I don't think that 16 is too old to start skating. You'll be surprised how good you can get even just after 1 or 2 years of skating. Take a look at some of the celebrity skating shows, like torville and dean celebrity skating competitions. The celebrities start off not even being able to stand up on skates, let alone do anything. And about 8 weeks later, some of them are doing stuff that you would not think could be achieved in 8 weeks.....let alone 1 year or 2 years.

rf3ray
09-09-2006, 08:32 AM
Too OLD what are you talking about??? I'm 30 and I'm Learning my Axel, Double Toe and Sal and have been skating 19months Geez I wish I was 16, and I have videos of my skating progression also to prove it :-)

NCSkater02
09-09-2006, 09:48 AM
Four and a half years ago, I was 38 and fat. I started skating. While I will never go to the Olympics, I have lost weight, and can do things most of my off-ice friends can't even dream of doing--and I'm still Pre-bronze.

So, NO, you are not too old.

Lark
09-10-2006, 01:12 PM
Didn't Johhny Weir not start seriously skating until he was 12? Am I remembering that correctly?

dbny
09-10-2006, 02:58 PM
Move your query to On Ice - Skaters (http://www.skatingforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)! You'll find lots of us there who started when much older than you.

bbowie
09-10-2006, 11:03 PM
well, its old if u want to compare with KIDS . but 16 is not old at all!!!
i am 20 n started at 18. Some times i do feel like i am so old when all the kids around me are like 12 or something.But who cares, i love skating, thats the only thing matter.If i stop just becos i feel i am too old for this sport, i know i will regret it later!!

Award
09-10-2006, 11:17 PM
well, its old if u want to compare with KIDS . but 16 is not old at all!!!
i am 20 n started at 18. Some times i do feel like i am so old when all the kids around me are like 12 or something.But who cares, i love skating, thats the only thing matter.If i stop just becos i feel i am too old for this sport, i know i will regret it later!!

That's true. Anybody that can still handle the odd fall or two will be able to skate, no problems at all. I guess it just depends on what is meant by too old here. Like, too old to start if the aim is to get to the olympics, or too old to learn triples (or even....quads)..etc.

Chico
09-10-2006, 11:18 PM
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Not my quote but I can't recall who.

Chico

ouijaouija
09-11-2006, 03:57 AM
Too old, are you joking? The best person on the rink last week was in her mid 70's doing camel spins and that stuff, not only that, she skated longer than everyone, stamina that is. She started last year

sk8_4fun
09-11-2006, 05:13 AM
oh to be 16 again! go for ir girl, you are never too old to enjoy yourself!

VegasGirl
09-11-2006, 10:22 AM
No, you're not too old to start skating... unless ofcourse you mean highly competitive, olympic level etc then the train has already left.

Skate@Delaware
09-11-2006, 10:51 AM
I'll be 45 in a few months 8O but who's counting!!! I feel (and sometimes act) 14!!!!! woo hoo!!! I've been skating about 4 years.

My husband is almost 60 and he has been skating almost 2 years. We ice dance together and will soon pair skate.

We have a 70-year-old skater at my rink who is learning jumps.....

So, no you are not too old....

Mrs Redboots
09-11-2006, 11:55 AM
I started skating in my early 40s.

However, my daughter, at 15, said she was exactly the wrong age to start - by the time she was ready to compete, she was too old to compete against the little kids, too young to compete against the adults, and not competitive against those of her own age. That would have been a fault time would have cured, but she went to university in a town that didn't have a rink, and although she now lives less than 2 miles from an ice-rink, has no real interest in starting again.

singerskates
09-11-2006, 12:14 PM
im 16 and ive been goin skating once a week every saturday evening with my friends for the past 4 years but have been thinking about taking up private lessons i have applied at my local ice rink for lessons but am i too old to start now ? someone please reply xxx

If Johnny Weir can take up skating at age 14 and get where he is, there's hope for you too. And even if you don't make it to the elite scene, you can compete as an adult skater when you're 18 in young adults.

singerskates who is 44 and only started skating at 38 holding on to the boards and later competed at two Adult Canadians (2004 AC Adult Bronze Ladies 40+ Bronze Medallist, 2005 AC Adult Bronze Class 1 & 2 7th while injured with new herniated discs). [Note: In 2004 Canadian Adult Bronze was called Freeskate 1]

doubletoe
09-11-2006, 04:02 PM
I started skating in my early 40s.

However, my daughter, at 15, said she was exactly the wrong age to start - by the time she was ready to compete, she was too old to compete against the little kids, too young to compete against the adults, and not competitive against those of her own age. That would have been a fault time would have cured, but she went to university in a town that didn't have a rink, and although she now lives less than 2 miles from an ice-rink, has no real interest in starting again.

That is true. The skating federations have not paid enough attention to developing programs for those starting as teens (or even 'tweens). It's a very tough time to be trying to get a skating life and my heart goes out to all of them. :(

CaReMaEn
09-11-2006, 04:26 PM
Hey, I started skating when i was was 10 and 5 years later i can do all my triples including 3 axel sometimes, so it doesn't really matter when age u start as long as your committed.

kateskate
09-11-2006, 06:43 PM
Never too old to skate.

I started at 21. Its not old enough for skating to be really really tough but it has its own problems. I compete but other adult competitors my age often, but not always, skated as children and there is a big difference in basic skating style to those who learned as kids and those who learned as adults. And I'm still young enough to be compared to the kids which is flattering but sometimes difficult since they do learn a lot quicker.

Starting later means you will never reach an elite level, or its very unlikely, but there are many other things you can do and at 16 you could still reach a very decent level. I'm still learning stuff at 26 and I feel there is more in me so you have 10yrs on me!

And in any case, its fun more than anything.

I want to be skating when I'm retired.

crayonskater
09-12-2006, 08:51 AM
Too late for what?

This is a good question. Too late to make the Olympic team? Probably. But realistically, if you had started at six you probably wouldn't make the Olympic team anyway. Only three ladies do, and that's a combination of innate talent, training, navigating politics, body type, and injury luck. (Yes, Johnny Weir started when he was 12. 12 is not 16. Men are not women.)

But not making the Olympic team is a silly reason not to take up a sport! How many people running at the gym will make the 1500M team?

As a teenager just starting, you may have some problems, depending on the size of your skating community, finding appropriate competitions for a while. But you're still young enough to learn most of the moves relatively easily.

Good luck!

Mrs Redboots
09-12-2006, 11:14 AM
Only three ladies do, Not even that, from many countries - the USA only does by virtue of having had a woman in the top 3 last time of asking. Plus if they failed to make the qualifying standard, they wouldn't be allowed to go, no matter how many team members were entitled, in theory! So the odds are even more overwhelming than you said.

But skating is an exceptionally fun and demanding sport at any level, whether you hit the top, or whether you are no more than a club-level skater representing your club in matches and Open competition at whatever level.

coskater64
09-12-2006, 11:19 AM
Your never too old to take up skating and so long as you enjoy it, your age doesn't matter. I started (again) at 36 and I'm currently 42, I skate because I love it. I do compete which I do mostly to build morale fiber and conquer my nerves. We have an 82 year old woman who skates at our rink she is solid through lutz, she stopped doing axels at the age of 70, she is a lovely skater.:o

crayonskater
09-12-2006, 01:39 PM
Not even that, from many countries - the USA only does by virtue of having had a woman in the top 3 last time of asking. Plus if they failed to make the qualifying standard, they wouldn't be allowed to go, no matter how many team members were entitled, in theory! So the odds are even more overwhelming than you said.

But skating is an exceptionally fun and demanding sport at any level, whether you hit the top, or whether you are no more than a club-level skater representing your club in matches and Open competition at whatever level.

Excellent point; sorry for the U.S.-centrism! My narrow point, is, of course, that whether the Olympic dream is still theoretically possible should be a minor consideration when deciding to skate -- most of us wouldn't get there even with professional coaching from age three. :)

cecealias
09-16-2006, 07:18 PM
I think there are many parents out there that fail to realize that their children starting at age 3 are going to be guaranteed elite athletes. Talent depends on the individual and with some people no matter how early they start they never go anywhere -- they weren't destined for it by nature, hard work or determination. And there are others who have the natural talent and could start at a later age and could still become exceptional, although nothing is ever guaranteed because life can throw any number of obstacles - money, time, coaching, health, life stability etc etc.

It's the same thing with education - your kid isn't guaranteed a slot at Harvard. (Well ok, maybe if you donate $25 million.... LOL)

Award
09-16-2006, 07:30 PM
I think there are many parents out there that fail to realize that their children starting at age 3 are *not* going to be guaranteed elite athletes.

typo correction only.

cEnTaUrrrrrrr
09-17-2006, 06:52 AM

I don't think age matters. If you're doing it for the love of the ssport might as well.

itfigures
09-17-2006, 06:32 PM
Personally I think that skating at a later age is better than skating when you are 3 or 4. When you are 3 or 4 you don't really understand why you are skating the only thing you really know is that, when you skate you are making mommy and daddy happy. When you get older you actually want to skate not someone forcing you. I started to skate at the age or 4 and hated it. When I was 8 I quit because I didn't want to do it any more. Now, older I love to skate and can't get enough of it and wish that I started when I wanted to.

Don't worry about skating at a later time. The only thing that would make you thing twice is the little 9 or 10 year olds doing doubles or tripples! Just ignore them.:roll: :P

Award
09-17-2006, 07:41 PM
Don't worry about skating at a later time. The only thing that would make you thing twice is the little 9 or 10 year olds doing doubles or tripples! Just ignore them.:roll: :P

Yes, that is somewhat disturbing hehe. Like this little 13 year old girl here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMK0fVZrmL4

That's just not acceptable!

Actually, I agree. At a later age, maturity and understanding, and memory has their advantages, that's for sure.

WannabeS8r
09-19-2006, 05:39 PM
I just turned 12 and I am working on my flip and lutz. I started half an year ago. And I thought I was too old. lol

Don't look at those little monkeys doing Biellmann spins, just skate, skate, and skate, if that is what makes you feel good and you want to actually accomplish something. :P

xofivebyfive
09-19-2006, 06:44 PM
Don't worry about skating at a later time. The only thing that would make you think twice is the little 9 or 10 year olds doing doubles or triples! Just ignore them.:roll: :P

It's so hard to ignore them though! And there's like.. 50 million of them every time I go practice. I mean, I'm 15 and started the beginning of this year, and I'm doing pretty well for a short amount of time.. but it still gets me a little discouraged when I'm struggling so much on like.. a scratch spin and there is the little 9 year old doing flying camels and triples and AHH! lol.

WannabeS8r
09-19-2006, 06:53 PM
It's so hard to ignore them though! And there's like.. 50 million of them every time I go practice. I mean, I'm 15 and started the beginning of this year, and I'm doing pretty well for a short amount of time.. but it still gets me a little discouraged when I'm struggling so much on like.. a scratch spin and there is the little 9 year old doing flying camels and triples and AHH! lol.

I totally KNOW how you feel. And for me it's even worse. I'm pretty tall for my age (but I'm slim and felexible hehe) and everytime I go to a public session I glance down to see little girls in fluffy skirts doing doubles and Biellmann spins. :frus: People FEAR my spiral beacause LOL I'm like...SWOOSH my leg in the air and someone's head is chopped off...

doubletoe
09-19-2006, 06:57 PM
It's all about perspective. Compared to 99.99% of the people in the world, we are all REALLY good skaters! That's why it's good to skate a public session once in awhile, not just freestyles. You see yourself compared to the people in rental skates hanging onto the boards, and you realize you're really pretty good from the viewpoint of the average person. :)

WannabeS8r
09-19-2006, 07:10 PM
It's all about perspective. Compared to 99.99% of the people in the world, we are all REALLY good skaters! That's why it's good to skate a public session once in awhile, not just freestyles. You see yourself compared to the people in rental skates hanging onto the boards, and you realize you're really pretty good from the viewpoint of the average person. :)

Haha that is, in fact, one of the things that motivates me to skate, skate, and skate. 8O People older than me (or younger. no matter) clinging to the boards for dear life. Yep. :giveup:

xofivebyfive
09-25-2006, 07:27 PM
I totally KNOW how you feel. And for me it's even worse. I'm pretty tall for my age (but I'm slim and felexible hehe) and everytime I go to a public session I glance down to see little girls in fluffy skirts doing doubles and Biellmann spins. :frus: People FEAR my spiral beacause LOL I'm like...SWOOSH my leg in the air and someone's head is chopped off...
But you're 11. That's better than 15. There are plenty of beginner 11 year olds.. not so many almost 16 year olds. At least not at my rink.

Mrs Redboots
09-26-2006, 05:30 AM
But you're 11. That's better than 15. There are plenty of beginner 11 year olds.. not so many almost 16 year olds. At least not at my rink.But almost 16 is a good age to start - by the time you're ready to start competing in earnest, you'll be old enough for the adult competitions!

So it's going to work out really well for you!

Sonic
09-26-2006, 06:12 AM

Hear, hear!

For any adult learners with doubts, watch KateSkate's willow waltz or doubletoe's free programme...this ladies started at age 21 and 27 respectively I believe....

S xxx (not that I'm jealous our anything lol! :P )

xofivebyfive
09-26-2006, 04:49 PM
But almost 16 is a good age to start - by the time you're ready to start competing in earnest, you'll be old enough for the adult competitions!

So it's going to work out really well for you!
Oh I know! It worked out pretty good I'd say. And adult comps are definitely something I would do.

Skate@Delaware
09-26-2006, 05:10 PM
Haha that is, in fact, one of the things that motivates me to skate, skate, and skate. 8O People older than me (or younger. no matter) clinging to the boards for dear life. Yep. :giveup:
It's the same for me, and I'm 44 (almost 45). Sometimes the wall-hugging kids (and unknowing adults) ask me if I'm a "professional" skater 8O Yeah! don't I wish!!!!!

I don't care that there are little kids whizzing by doing stuff I can't do. I can do stuff they can't do only because they don't take the time to work on the basics. They have technical things down but I can skate with emotion and depth which is something they lack; I also have the 2nd highest spiral in my rink (only recently outclassed :lol: because I challenged the girl, aged 14). I also figure, if they waited until they were 40 to start, they would probably skate like me :lol:

So, if you look at the things you can do, you can put them in a class way above and beyond the little twirl girls. We are different and I really don't think there is any comparison worth making.

doubletoe
09-26-2006, 05:48 PM
The only comparison worth making is this one:

(A) YOU in 3 years if you don't start taking lessons now

VS.

(B) YOU in 3 years if you DO start taking lessons now.

That was the thought that made up my mind for me! :lol:

sk8joyful
09-26-2006, 11:43 PM
I may be the slowest progressing skater, around - but I have *fun* :)

Also, I am progressing!

What anybody else thinks, doesn't matter.

Skate@Delaware
09-27-2006, 08:28 AM
When the little darlings come up to me and ask to see my flip or axel, I counter with "let's see your mohawk or 3-turns" :lol: because I know theirs are really non-existant or very bad.......

But i'm there for a hug when they fall or are having a bad day; hairclips when they forget theirs; tissues and safety pins when they need them; and extra money when their mom dropped them off and forgot to give them $$ for the machine.

xice_princessx
10-04-2006, 05:44 AM

o yh i know i can skate round really fast without holding on n can skate on 1 foot without any help but that's all i seem to be able to do...and the people who skate on the sides do they not know that its actually better to not skate holding on as thats where people scuff their skates and the ice is much more slippery their ? o well that's life i gues but hmm yh neways...