View Full Version : Question about skating clubs and freestyle sessions

newskaker5
09-05-2006, 04:27 PM
I am now offically out of the basic skills classes/lessons in ISI and will be in a Freestyle 1/2 class next week - woohoo :)

Anyway, I am so confused about skating clubs/ ice time, etc. I know there are home skating clubs for my rink, but what does it mean to be in these clubs? Can I skate on a freestyle session w/o belonging to a club? When should I wait to join? Until I compete or should I join already?

Also - I havent been to a freestyle session - just public (and one high level freestyle by accident when I first started). And Im so scared of them! (not sure why). At my level (ISI 1-2) can I go to one? My coach says I can go to the low level sessions, but the open day sessions work best for me on my days off- would these be too advanced for me? What should I expect/ know ahead of time at these sessions?

Isk8NYC
09-05-2006, 04:54 PM
I'm going to assume that you live in the US.

Generally, "freestyle" sessions are open to anyone that meets the level requirements (if any.) If you're a FS2 skater, you don't belong on a high-level freestyle. The rink/club can give you the test requirements for high/low level freestyle sessions. If you're just there to take a lesson, many places waive the requirements. (In my area, the rinks run most of the freestyle sessions.

Clubs rent the ice from the rink and set up their own ice packages, which might include things called freestyle sessions. Each club makes its own rules about who is allowed, whether guests can skate or not, and what level skaters belong on each of their sessions. They have different levels of members, too. An associate member pays a small upfront fee, then can pay as they go for ice time. Other clubs make you commit to specific days or dates, so they can budget. Most charge a flat membership fee, then add on more costs as you select your ice time.

For example, I used to belong to a club that had two hours of ice on Sunday evenings. They alternated every half hour between "freestyle" and "dance." I had to join the club as a member because they only allowed non-members to skate three times on their ice. I couldn't buy only the freestyle portion of the session - it wasn't allowed. I could sit out the dance halves, but that was boring (and cold.) So, lemons from lemonade: I managed to pass the Dutch Waltz test! HAHAHA (Those who've seen me skate are scratching their heads right now - my timing and footwork is horrible.)

Clubs also have special events: shows, competitions, test sessions, dinners, trips to skating shows. Part of your membership fee pays for these events as well as the other club expenses. (Not to mention the rink's up-front ice payments.) A good club has a supportive "family" feel to it. They cheer for their clubmates, work together on fundraisers/special events, and socialize off the ice.

Why don't you give the Club leaders a call, explain that you're a newbie, and ask them to go over their specific rules. Ask specifically if they have adult skaters, because you don't want to feel left out. BTW, the USFSA just began an Adult Ambassador program, which is a great way to meet other skaters.

As for your "Fear of Freestyle" it's just that you're much more visible when there's very few skaters on the ice. Generally, daytime freestyles are empty, so you don't need to worry about getting demolished your first time out. Just stop by and watch one before you sign up to see if you'll be comfortable. Start out with a half-hour, just in case you get cold feet. Most rinks will let you go in to check them out, just don't get on the ice and forget to pay them!

doubletoe
09-05-2006, 05:42 PM
In general, you don't need to start practicing on freestyle sessions until you have a program and need to be able to play your music and use the whole ice surface. There are two types of freestyle sessions: regular freestyle sessions that are run by the rink itself (stay on the "low" sessions) and club freestyle sessions that are for club members only. You don't really need to join a club unless you want to skate on the club freestyle sessions or you want to participate in a club recital. You'll also need to join a club if you want to do any USFSA testing or competitions.

newskaker5
09-05-2006, 06:11 PM
Thank you for the info - I dont have to worry about a program for a while - mainly want to have the option of freestyles due to scheduling (public sessions during the week dont go well w/ my work schedule). I just have a fear that at ISI level 1/2 I will be the worst person there and in the way, etc. Probably not since my coach told me I'd be fine , but I'm still nervous. i definatley will go to the low level or open FS!

I was trying to search for an old thread I vaguely remember on freestyle session "rules" and cant find it. Can anyone tell me what is the lutz corner? I know to spin in the middle and stay out of the way of a program, anything else I need to know?

Thanks for the info!

phoenix
09-05-2006, 06:55 PM
I was trying to search for an old thread I vaguely remember on freestyle session "rules" and cant find it. Can anyone tell me what is the lutz corner? I know to spin in the middle and stay out of the way of a program, anything else I need to know?

Thanks for the info!

My best piece of advice for you would be: keep moving!! Never stop and just stand still, unless you are at the boards. I can't really explain it, but I find it MUCH easier to skate around moving skaters than those little kids that just stand there. I have that rule for any of my students when out on a freestyle session.

Find out from your rink when the least crowded sessions are, & hopefully they will fit into your schedule. It takes some getting used to, so expect to be a bit overwhelmed/intimidated at first. It gets better, but you must keep your head up and always be looking around & be aware of where people are. You will learn to anticipate where someone is likely to go, as you learn to recognize the telltale 'set ups' for the different jumps & spins.

Beyond the program skater having right of way, generally anyone in a lesson also has right of way. In addition, a skater in a spin cannot see you, so it's your job to steer clear of them. Some one in a spiral or a bauer, especially at high speed, will have a very hard time bailing out so try to yield to them as well.

newskaker5
09-05-2006, 07:15 PM
thanks for the info :) Also - which corner is the lutz corner?

doubletoe
09-05-2006, 07:29 PM

There are 2 lutz corners, one at each end of the rink. If you are standing in the middle of the rink and look down to either end of the rink, the lutz corner will be the corner to the right of the blue hockey crease (and you'll notice a lot more toepick divots in those two corners!). But look around for skaters who jump clockwise and land on the left foot, since they will be doing their lutzes in the opposite corners, i.e., the left corner on either end.

Skate@Delaware
09-05-2006, 07:41 PM
At my rink, the lutz corner is any corner that's open!!!8O We just call them jumping corners...it's scary! The little kids get confused. There was talk about putting big labels up on the glass but since we just opened for the season nothing has been decided.

Keep moving and keep your head up!!!

doubletoe
09-05-2006, 07:46 PM
P.S. On a freestyle session, you don't necessarily want to spin in the middle, since half the time you will be right in the path of someone practicing her straightline footwork down the middle of the rink. Unfortunately, there just isn't any "safe" spot on a freestyle session because people are generally practicing their program elements in the places where they do them in their programs, and programs are supposed to cover the entire ice surface.
For example, even if you hang out in the corners that aren't the lutz corners, those tend to get used for salchows and axels, so you basically just need to stay in defensive driving mode all the time.
One of the most important things you can do is to always know who is skating her program and where she is. When you hear program music starting, stop, look around and figure out whose program it is, then look up and find that person every 5-10 seconds to make sure you are staying out of her way. Also, people who are just practicing elements or pieces of their programs are likely to repeat the same pattern or element they just did, so if you get in someone's way in the lutz corner, it's a good idea to move out of the way for 15 seconds because they are almost guaranteed to come right back around and try that lutz again.

beachbabe
09-05-2006, 09:22 PM
depending on how you look at it..any corner can be the lutz corner.

anyway the best way to skate on a freestly eis not to limit yourself to a space where you think no-one is going.

The best way to skate on a freestly eis to use the ice as you nee dit but always be aware of other skaters and skaters doing their programmes or skaters with a coach. You have to always watch out because any part of the ice surface can be a danger point at any time.

Stay alert and try to keep moving all the time- if you are careful you should be able to utilize the entire ice surface without any problems.

DallasSkater
09-05-2006, 09:57 PM
newskater: I am freestyle 2 in ISI and skate freestyle sessions. Truthfully, my fear was how I would be the worst one out there but that quickly dissipated. I just use my time as efficiently as possible so do not even have time to think about it. Since I also work, I tend to go to the same sessions each week that works best with my schedule. Generally, the same people show for the sessions at a similar time frame at my rink. This makes the majority of the skaters easy to predict as you get to know them and what they will be doing. Similarly, they will get use to your space needs as well. It just all seems to work out in the end. Have a wonderful time!

Congrats on your advancement!

quarkiki2
09-06-2006, 09:16 AM
I agree -- the same people generally skate the same sessions. I'm and ISI Freestyle 1-2-3 skater, too, and have been skating on freestyle ice for three years now. With pretty much the same people all three years. There are occasionally a other drop-ins, but it's almost always the same group of about 10 skaters. I SO much prefer this to a crowded public session. This summer, I had a make-up lesson on public ice and was so distracted and concerned about the public skaters that my lesson was terrible.

On my Saturday morning ice, there's usually me, two adult ice dancers (one very experienced, one just learning), an intermediate pair, and three to four preliminary to juvenile freestyle skaters. And sometimes two or three coaches.

One week, we had a visiting lefty skater join us -- she had every right to be on the ice, but she threw everyone because she was moving in the opposite direction and jumping in the opposite corners as everyone else. I don't think anyone skated particularly well that session -- you get used to the groove and unknown factors sort of unsettled everyone.

We all know each other and the kids tat skate this session are great -- they are so sweet and genuinely nice! They go out of their way to notice improvemebts in my skating and I always make sure to compliment them as they do things I can only imagine... Off the ice, of course -- not much talking on the ice except for "Good mornings" and between coaches/skaters.

Yes, most people will skate in a similar pattern each week, too. And I do keep an eye out at all times because almost everyone on the ice moves faster than I do. Except for the new ice dancer and a couple of young preliminary skaters. I actually felt badly because I witnessed my first "Rink Dad" moment last week -- the dad was watching a Moves lesson from a very young preliminary skater, the same level as his daughters, but they are probably 2-3 years older. He said to them "She's younger than you and skates much faster. You two need to get to work NOW to pick up your speed or you'll never be competitive." Then he made the poor kids practice forward and backwards crossovers for half the session. Which was unfortunate because he made them practice on the hockey circles and they didn't really increase their speed -- they just looked despondent, then bored.

techskater
09-06-2006, 04:20 PM
Actually the Lutz corners depend on how many CW skaters you have too. I am a CW skater and there are generally 2 more on the session with me so all 4 corners are Lutz corners!

xofivebyfive
09-07-2006, 04:53 PM
I know exactly how you feel. I'm FS2 as well and have been on freestyle sessions since June. During the summer there were beginner sessions(beginner through FS2) which I felt very comfortable at, as there wasn't anyone whizzing by me at 60 mph and I didn't have to watch my back or move constantly so a Novice skater could do their jumps or camelspins in the same place I needed to be for my program 50 times. It's so much easier to watch out for the younger less advanced skaters than the ones going 80mph and you can't tell where they're going and you don't want to get in their way. Like today. Now that school is back, the latest session is at 2:45.. and thats when all the higher level skaters go when they get out of school.. So i was struggling in practice today.