View Full Version : Skating skill question

newskaker5
09-05-2006, 04:23 PM
Can anyone explain to me what a Chasses is?

Also, I'll be starting to take ISI Freestyle 1/2 class and on the skill list is a D-step sequence - anyone have any idea what this skill is? I cant find a description on the ISI or sk8stuff website?

Thanks!

dbny
09-05-2006, 05:08 PM
A chasse is a dance step, in which one foot is lifted a few inches straight up with the blade parallel to the ice, and then once again placed on the ice next to the skating foot. For example: starting on a LFO, place the R foot next to the L and lift the L up, then down again, pushing with the R as the L takes the ice. The word is French and is pronounced "sha-say"

newskaker5
09-05-2006, 06:12 PM
Thanks! Are there any videos out there of this skill?

Skate@Delaware
09-05-2006, 07:35 PM
Here is Torvil & Dean dancing the Paso Doble, which has some chasses in it...if you have a pattern book you can sort of follow along (altho it goes rather fast). The chasses are the 4th step (from the start of the dance). I do believe the announcer does reference it on the 2nd repeat of the pattern.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUBsyfAD9bU

I wish my cross-rolls looked like that! (I won't even talk about the mohawks!):giveup:

doubletoe
09-05-2006, 07:53 PM
For freestyle skaters, the first encounter with the chasse will usually be the Inside Slide Chasse pattern on the Intermediate (or Adult Gold) Moves-In-The-Field test. For the inside slide chasse, you go from one deep forward inside edge to the other, slipping the free foot forward off the heel as you switch feet (so the free foot ends up pointed in front of the skating foot). So you almost fall onto each inside edge rather than pushing off onto it with the other foot. When you do it right, the pressure of the blade against the inside edge makes sort of a ripping sound.

Isk8NYC
09-05-2006, 08:01 PM
For freestyle skaters, the first encounter with the chasse will usually be the Inside Slide Chasse pattern on the Intermediate (or Adult Gold) Moves-In-The-Field test. Unless you're one of my students. Pretty much every program has chasses or slide chasses in it. I like slide chasses - I teach them as "slip the foot onto the ice like Cinderella putting on her shoe." If only I had a good analogy for mohawks.

I take it back - the baseball routine didn't have that. Then again, the skater did a lot of the choreography himself, which explains the many slides across the ice: on his knees, from a lunge, out of the spin, just because ... ROTFL ... love that kid!

dbny
09-05-2006, 08:58 PM
Here is Torvil & Dean dancing the Paso Doble, which has some chasses in it...if you have a pattern book you can sort of follow along (altho it goes rather fast). The chasses are the 4th step (from the start of the dance). I do believe the announcer does reference it on the 2nd repeat of the pattern.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUBsyfAD9bU

I wish my cross-rolls looked like that! (I won't even talk about the mohawks!):giveup:

OMG, thank you sooo much! I've never seen them dance the Paso and thought at first you meant their own dance, which is my favorite original dance of all time. The Paso Doble was one of my favorite dances when I was a roller dancer, and the steps are exactly as on ice.

What the announcer calls "side step, side step" almost at the very beginning are actually chasses. Another chasse that is easy to spot is the first step after after the cross behind (after Torvill steps forward).

ic3ang3l
09-05-2006, 11:14 PM
the fs 2-10 for isi all require a pre-made dance-step-sequence that you have to do if you plan to compete in that certain level. if u need more info then tell me.

icedancer2
09-05-2006, 11:19 PM
What the announcer calls "side step, side step" almost at the very beginning are actually chasses. Another chasse that is easy to spot is the first step after after the cross behind (after Torvill steps forward).

This is what you get when you get two non-dancers (in this case Peggy and Dick) doing the commentary, although maybe in their lexicon those chasses were called "side-steps" because that's kind of what they are.

Pretty good dance, that -- thanks for posting it.:)

mintypoppet
09-06-2006, 05:45 AM
Here is Torvil & Dean dancing the Paso Doble, which has some chasses in it...

That was the first elite-standard CD I watched, not long after I started skating. Instant conversion to ice dance followed! While I'll never look like that, it's certainly inspiring.

Mrs Redboots
09-06-2006, 07:08 AM
This is what you get when you get two non-dancers (in this case Peggy and Dick) doing the commentary, although maybe in their lexicon those chasses were called "side-steps" because that's kind of what they are.I'm rather shocked by your commentators, actually - ours remain almost silent during the actual dance and only comment during the hiatus while waiting for marks!

quarkiki2
09-06-2006, 09:25 AM
We use a lot of Chasses in synchro, too.

I Love, love, love inside slide chasses -- they make my feet feel pretty and I'm all about that!!!!

phoenix
09-06-2006, 10:44 AM
Okay, I watched that video a couple of times, as it's one of the dances I'm working on & I was particularly interested in the fast cross rolls, which are one of the most difficult parts.

And this morning, when working on fast cross rolls in my lesson, my coach said I've never done them so fast! HA!!! Must watch more videos!! :D

Skate@Delaware
09-06-2006, 11:33 AM
If you go to www.youtube.com (http://www.youtube.com) and in the upper right corner is the search box. Type in the name of the dance+skating and it usually pulls up the dances someone has posted...most of them olympic broadcasts.

flippet
09-06-2006, 02:45 PM
I'm rather shocked by your commentators, actually - ours remain almost silent during the actual dance and only comment during the hiatus while waiting for marks!

Lucky. :P

Seriously--although the commentary is sometimes educational, usually it's just annoying. I feel sorry for the commentators sometimes--I think that it's not always their fault, but their producers and directors are yapping in their ear to 'talk, talk, talk'--because it's what they think 'commentators' are supposed to do, and they think it's what the viewers want. Well...perhaps if we're watching football, but NOT FOR A MUSICAL SPORT/PERFORMANCE!!!

[/rant] :lol:

doubletoe
09-06-2006, 03:57 PM
A coach at my rink was just telling me that 50% of what Dick Button says is actually edited out by the network. Thank goodness for small miracles.