View Full Version : Where to find programme music

Sonic
09-04-2006, 03:39 PM
Firstly, may I apologise for two things
a) to iskatealot for 'hijacking' the other thread. Sorry, should have thought at the time, I know it's really annoying when people do that - D'OH!
b) If there's been a thread about this before

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good lyric-less music that would suit a beginner's programme, and also, of any good *free* sites where you can download good skating music from? My coach has asked me to find some music and, being a bit dim, I've got no idea where to start!

Many thanks guys,

S xxx

Skate@Delaware
09-04-2006, 03:59 PM
What music do you like? What kind of music are you looking for? There are a lot of things that come into play when selecting music to skate to. Are you also looking for something already cut? Popular, musicals, dance, hip-hop, classical, etc.

I can't see skating to music that doesn't personally move me (unless I have no choice, such as in a show). I have to really feel the music. I have to want to skate to it and be willing to listen to it 50,000,000 times and not have it get old.

I have a good collection of music on cd's and many people use online sources such as Napster and iTunes for their music, you can buy a track, download it then edit/cut it to suit you (or have someone else do it for you). Some coach's also have a music collection.

rlichtefeld
09-05-2006, 05:08 AM
I find that movie soundtracks work well. This year, there are tons of skaters in my area that are skating to Pirates of the Carribean.

I've also skated to TV show tunes. My first program music was a cut of Perry Mason and Mission: Impossible tv themes cut together.

If you have no ideas, most coaches have music that they've cut for other skaters, and can let you listen to them.

As to free sites, being a software programmer myself, I don't recommend not paying royalties of some sort to the artist that created the music. Once you find the piece of music that you like, buy the CD. You can then rip it to whatever quality you want before you start manipulating it.

Rob

Skate@Delaware
09-05-2006, 06:00 AM
That's a good idea, Rob! You will find that tons of little girls skate to anything Disney. My daughter has chosen Memoirs of a Geisha, just hasn't narrowed down the final music, but I'm sure we will cut some pieces together.

I have a large collection of music soundtracks....and have ever since I was a teenager. I just like the way the music reminds me of a great movie!!!

There are some nice pieces in Finding Neverland, Titanic, Pirates (tho that is a bit overdone at my rink), and if you find something that is from a musical, you can almost always find a karaoke track to something.

I just picked my music for next year, Rihanna's Unfaithful but the instrumental version. It's only available on the international cd.

Ask some of the other skaters at your rink, you will find most are brimming with good ideas and music! Most have a good collection of cd's you can listen to.

Mrs Redboots
09-05-2006, 08:42 AM
Whatever you do choose, Sonic, please not Pirates of the Caribbean - so many of the skaters are using it this year. Similarly anything from Chicago has already been well used and needs to be rested.

I found music for my husband on a karaoke CD I'd bought - I am so not into karaoke, but it was part of a "job lot" and I wanted the other two, and for some extraordinary reason hadn't thrown this one out. For which I am very glad!

It's quite possible your coach already has some music cut for another skater that they no longer use, or that some of the other adult skaters at your rink would let you use their old music.

Sonic
09-05-2006, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the tips peeps - much appreciated.

S xxx

phoenix
09-05-2006, 04:09 PM
Speaking of overused music -- at the last competition I attended, it sounded like a Michael Buble' concert!!

Skate@Delaware
09-05-2006, 04:39 PM
I "borrowed" my daughter's Josh Groban karaoke cd....it's beautiful! No background vocals AT ALL!!! Just gorgeous music; I believe from his Closer cd. Bond is good, but might be difficult to cut and is a bit fast. Enya is nice even though she is also overdone. I like pieces that not everyone is doing-something from out of the woodwork!!

doubletoe
09-05-2006, 05:48 PM
I agree with movie soundtracks as being a great place to start. As a matter of fact, all of the programs I've done so far have been to movie soundtracks. The reason they are such a good source of music are that (1) they tell a story, (2) they have emotional highs and lows built in, which gives good variety in your program, and (3) You've got a lot of different tracks that can be mixed and matched, since they were all composed by the same composer and tend to be variations on the same themes, just in different moods and tmpos.

Thin-Ice
09-06-2006, 04:56 AM
I find that movie soundtracks work well. (snip) I've also skated to TV show tunes. My first program music was a cut of Perry Mason and Mission: Impossible tv themes cut together.

Rob

That's soooo funny... I also skated to those two combined! Probably off the same TV Soundtracks CD. (The last note from the Perry Mason theme fades so nicely into the flute trill that starts "Mission: Impossible", so it's a really easy edit!) I used this for an ISI FS 4 program. I think I even used this for that test program.

singerskates
09-06-2006, 01:06 PM
All the above and if you don't want to do the editing and remastering work yourself for your program music, email me at singerskates@musicinit.com

I have a link to my website East Castle with prices in my signature.

Happy Skating!

singerskates

http://eastcastlemusic.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/eastcastlejpgcard2b.jpg

Joan
09-06-2006, 05:17 PM
This website compiles the program music for competitive and pro ice skaters from the past 20 plus years. This link is their suggestions for skating music. If you go to the home page, you'll find the search engine for specific skaters or years, etc.

http://www.skatemusiclist.com/music_suggestions.html