View Full Version : Best Brand of CD-R?

Black Sheep
09-04-2006, 02:15 PM
What do you believe to be the best brand of CD-R to use for cutting your own skating music. I use Sony mulit-colored, but they don't "read" in all CD players at all rinks all the time. Should I try something else?

Mrs Redboots
09-04-2006, 02:22 PM
The important thing is to remember to burn the CD as an audio CD, not accidentally transfer an MP3 on to it! Which has been known to happen, enough that at least one competition secretary warns against it.

Black Sheep
09-04-2006, 02:27 PM
The important thing is to remember to burn the CD as an audio CD, not accidentally transfer an MP3 on to it! Which has been known to happen, enough that at least one competition secretary warns against it.

Okay, I checked my iTunes settings--I *have* been burning them as *audio CDs*. I don't get the difference between them, though, burning audio s. mp3.....

beachbabe
09-04-2006, 06:19 PM
i've had many problems in the past with memorex CD-RW's. Only some stereo's seem to play it even though i put the music in audio CD format.

so umm, don't use memorex. I don't think i've had any problems with other brands though. I usually use fujifilm or sony.

coskater64
09-04-2006, 06:27 PM
CD-RW's won't play in lots of player's you need to use a CD-R, a CD that is readable and you only use once to write on. It clearly states that most competitions will not take a CD-RW those are for computers mostly and even though some players play them you don't want to risk it at a competition. CD-R's and CD-RW's are all so cheap one brand is no more reliable than the other, I would check with consumer reports which you can find at your local library if you want to see a brand comparison, I use whatever I find first at Comp USA and usually they work 95-99% of the time.

sue123
09-04-2006, 06:29 PM
Have you been finalizing the CD"s? I've done that before where I forgot to finalize the CD and so it didnt' work.

beachbabe
09-04-2006, 07:40 PM
Have you been finalizing the CD"s? I've done that before where I forgot to finalize the CD and so it didnt' work.
what does that mean?

Isk8NYC
09-04-2006, 09:44 PM
Finalizing is an option you select after you've finished burning music (or video/dvd) to a disc. It sets up the files on the disc that allow players to read the music. After you're happy with the disc's contents, the option to "Finalize this disc" should be on one of the software menus. (Usually the File menu)

sk8pics
09-05-2006, 06:05 AM
I"ve never had to do an extra step to finalize the CD's I burn off of iTunes. I have only had to finalize DVD's burned in a DVD recorder (as opposed to my Mac). So I wonder if iTunes does it automatically.

Anyway, I use Sony or Staples CD-R discs. Generally haven't had issues. Some days the CD player (one of the less good ones) at the rink won't play it, or plays it only grudgingly, but I've never had a problem anywhere else --competitions, CD player at home or in my car.