View Full Version : Peach Classic News?

skatingatty
09-02-2006, 10:53 PM
Anyone have reports from Peach? I wish I could have been there to either compete or just show support and throw stuff on the ice! I am surprised to see that there were only 3 competitors in Silver I/II this year. In the past, there were always about half a dozen people.

Frumpy
09-03-2006, 08:29 AM
Actually, there ended up being only two of us in Silver I/II. Lara Taylor withdrew, unfortunately. :( There were only 6 in Silver III as well.

At least for my group, I think we both skated clean. I skated second, so I didn't get to see the other skater.

My music skipped in the middle of my program and cut out about 25 seconds, :frus: so I just kept skating and finished my program after the music stopped. What a bummer! (I really wanted to just finish and not have to stop and start the program.) I went to the referee and the time keeper after my last pose, and they said that I was still under the time limit. My layback was not centered, so it got wonky and weird, but other than that, I did fine.

Terri C
09-03-2006, 09:04 AM
Good grief- I just looked at the schedule and the attendance is really down!
While I had no plans to attend this year, Ernesto would have made it tough for me to fly out on Friday morning!

flutzilla1
09-03-2006, 03:20 PM
Results are up:

http://www.gafsc.org/peachclassic/2006/results.htm

Congratulations frumpy on your gold medal! :)

singerskates
09-03-2006, 03:43 PM
Why were there so few skaters this year? Looks like almost everybody medalled with the low turn out.

rlichtefeld
09-03-2006, 04:41 PM
Why were there so few skaters this year? Looks like almost everybody medalled with the low turn out.
We don't know why the turnout was so low. When I get over my exhaustion, I'm going to send out a questionaire.

For those members of this group that have gone before, why not this year?

Possible Answers that I've thought of:
Gas prices
Air travel hassles
Injuries
Bad weekend
Too many all adults competitions, and too few weekends
Gay games this summer using up vacation and money
USFSA messing with rules every year
Entry fees too expensive
Tom Mullins show in SF featuring adult skaters
????

Thanks for any insight that you can give the LOC. Because we really have to evaluate if we could continue this event with this low number of skaters.

I talked to lots of people this weekend, and no one really had a good idea of why the low numbers.

Rob
2006 Peach Classic Chairperson

Terri C
09-03-2006, 05:02 PM
We don't know why the turnout was so low. When I get over my exhaustion, I'm going to send out a questionaire.

Possible Answers that I've thought of:
Gas prices
Air travel hassles

Too many all adults competitions, and too few weekends

USFSA messing with rules every year
Entry fees too expensive
Tom Mullins show in SF featuring adult skaters
????

Rob,
As someone who attended Peach only once and that was last year, I've kept the above reasons you posted as reasons I suspect. It's not the gas prices alone, but the cost of traveling, period.
The constant rule changes, are another- the fact that this year is a big year regarding rule changes for adults and many are having to skip events for extra training time at home to get elements that while are in line with the WBP requirements yet keep them competitive in their category.

skatingatty
09-03-2006, 05:30 PM
Congratulations to Frumpy and everyone else. I mentioned this already on adultedge yahoogroups, but I didn't compete this yr. because my older sister and her family came to visit this year. Even if they hadn't I probably wouldn't have entered due to starting my own business and wanting to start a family next year, so I need to cut down on skating expenses. Plus, the high cost of gas doesn't help. I'm not taking lessons anymore and will probably be out of the adult competitive scene for the next few years if I have a baby. I also wonder if we're not getting more new adult skaters willing or able to compete. Looks like most of the competitors are people I know or have heard of from adult competitions for the past several years.

Debbie S
09-03-2006, 05:34 PM
Congratulations to everyone on the forum who competed! I see quite a few of our members medaled. :bow:

Well, I've never done Peach, but I can tell you my reasons for staying home again this year.

As Terri mentioned, the cost of traveling (and the pocketbook drain from high gas prices) is an obstacle to attending comps not within driving distance. While Peach sounds like a lot of fun, and well-organized, I'd rather put flight and hotel money toward my lessons and ice time. I competed several times this spring and summer at comps in my backyard, so in some ways, I'm competition'ed-out right now. Also, I wanted to test and pass Bronze FS by the end of the summer (which I did last week :) ) and I decided I needed a break after Wilmington in July to focus on learning new skills and improving my technique (in addition to testing).

But the rule changes, specifically the LOC-imposed restrictions on Pre-Bronze, also were a turnoff for me. No longer an issue for me, obviously, but I'm sure there were at least several Pre-Bronze skaters that decided not to re-choreograph their programs (that had already been choreographed with USFSA rules in mind) to accommodate just one comp's rules (is this why Beth scratched?). It will be interesting to see if Pre-Bronze attendance at HC is lower than usual.

Actually, it will be interesting to see if attendance is down at HC overall this year. NYI had a bit of a drop-off last year, but I attributed that to Easterns being 2 weeks away and not too far location-wise from where NYI was.

lovepairs
09-03-2006, 07:03 PM
Rob,

Do you think what happened in Dallas contributed in any way to a low turn out? I know that many skaters lost a lot of money in that referree debachle--maybe this contributed to it???

skaternum
09-03-2006, 08:27 PM
My only reason for not competing this year was injury. Otherwise, I'd have been there!

Hannahclear
09-03-2006, 08:36 PM
I can only speak for myself, but the only event I'm willing to travel for in a big way would be Adult Nats, because you know they will have the numbers.

There are events in NE I can attend and I don't have to worry that the turnout will be worth the expense of going. I have no interest in competing in an event with 2 other skaters. I find it to be a waste of my time. Competing, for me, is getting to see where judges rank my skating skills in relation to those at my level. Unless I've got 6 people in my group, I'm sad. And I would love more! That's why I'd travel for Adult Nats, but probably not to an event like this.

I'm sure geography and money are huge barriers for you!

FrankR
09-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Congratulations to everyone that skated at Peach! :)

Terri C
09-03-2006, 09:06 PM
I can only speak for myself, but the only event I'm willing to travel for in a big way would be Adult Nats, because you know they will have the numbers.

There are events in NE I can attend and I don't have to worry that the turnout will be worth the expense of going. I have no interest in competing in an event with 2 other skaters. I find it to be a waste of my time. Competing, for me, is getting to see where judges rank my skating skills in relation to those at my level. Unless I've got 6 people in my group, I'm sad. And I would love more! That's why I'd travel for Adult Nats, but probably not to an event like this.

I'm sure geography and money are huge barriers for you!

Hannah,
I don't know if you are aware, but Peach Classic was historically the second largest all adult competition here in the country, only surpassed by AN.
Last year there were 5 of us in Pre Bronze free alone and I think 8 in Ladies Silver III.
There have been folks that have travelled from Great Britain, Canada, as well as Estonia to this event, as well as from all over the country, so geography was not a issue.

NoVa Sk8r
09-03-2006, 09:31 PM
Yes, the numbers were down. But the comp was well-run, it was great to see familiar faces, meet some new ones, and put forums names with face. It was nice to see how several of the folks here whom have been competing for a while have really improved their skating.
Someone at the event (Rob?), quoting judges who have been around the competition block, said that attendance at many events has generally been down this year. Is it a mere cyclical phenom? Time will tell.

In addition, I think I can speak for Loops when I say that we were very impressed with this one skater who started only 4 months ago and entered 3 event--and her coach was sick and couldn't be there!

Nerdonice--great to meet you. Hope your skating dilemma works itself out.

Rob, thanks for all you hard work with this competition--and happy birthday again! We missed you in the silver men event (where one of the guys did 2 axels). It was great to discuss pairs issues and to do pairs lift at the party (and was that really me dancing to "Sexyback" with my sworn enemy, "EJS?" :P )

Thanks to Becca for all the nips--I have 12 at last count. :halo:

"Bats in the Belfry" rule! ;)

Terri C
09-03-2006, 09:51 PM
I know of one competition at the end of the month here in Richmond that extended their deadline by a week, possibly due to lack of response.
Here's something to think about though:

Back in the day, you had Peach, then NYI, then Sectionals and then AN.
Now you have Peach, Brewster, Buckeye, Halloween Classic, Intermountain (which is not happening this year), NYI, Wyandotte, Sectionals, AN and then if you're not tired or broke after all that, Mountain Cup of O'dorf. This is also not counting the standard track adult friendly comps, like Skate San Francisco.

gt20001
09-03-2006, 10:01 PM
\
But the rule changes, specifically the LOC-imposed restrictions on Pre-Bronze, also were a turnoff for me. No longer an issue for me, obviously, but I'm sure there were at least several Pre-Bronze skaters that decided not to re-choreograph their programs (that had already been choreographed with USFSA rules in mind) to accommodate just one comp's rules (is this why Beth scratched?). It will be interesting to see if Pre-Bronze attendance at HC is lower than usual.

The restrictions on Pre Bronze is why i didnt attend this year i had a program already and didnt have the time with other stuff going on to rechoreograph it to fit the rules that the peach decided to have. The governing council limited the spins on pre bronze but not the jumps and my program was in line with that. I was planning on attending till i saw the requirements.

jazzpants
09-03-2006, 10:12 PM
Hi, Rob!

I'd like to answer your questionaire. My reason for not going to Peach... MANY!!! Oh, where do I start...

Well, the very first one is...I'm on competition hiatus!!! I'm trying to pass Bronze Moves and FS this year and do a lot of technical catch-up! I simply don't have the energy, time or budget to go on another trip and I'd rather put the money towards training to become more competitive.

Another factor for me: my husband LOOOOONG unemployment stint from 2001 to late 2004 and my new replacement car for my old clunker car! As it is, we're still recovering from that episode! It's not that easy considering that we own a home and you know homes are well known for being money pits! :roll: :evil:

Third factor for me: given my in-laws are getting up there in age... my husband and I are spending money on traveling to NYC every year! Can't afford both the NYC trip and the Peach trip! This year, I'll made TWO trips to see my in-laws. Once is the upcoming Christmas trip... and the other is my recent June trip b/c my BIL got married again and EVERYONE (and I mean EVERYONE!) in my husband's family had to show up!!! (But it was worth it!!! That photo is at least a decade in the making!!!) :D

If I wasn't testing, I'm with Hannahclear in saying that I'd rather put the money towards Adult Nationals. As of now, I don't even know if I'm going to Chicago even if/when I do pass my Bronze FS tests in time. I want to stay the whole week and watch the Championship Masters events too, and I don't know if I could afford to stay the week! We'll see, I guess. But my concentration as of now is to pass Bronze FS and do major technical catch-up!

Debbie S
09-03-2006, 10:51 PM
The governing council limited the spins on pre bronze but not the jumps and my program was in line with that. If you are referring to the limit of 3 spins in Pre-Bronze, that is not new - that was already in place a year ago when the WBP for Pre-Bronze were created. Previously, there were no minimums or maximums for jumps or spins in Pre-Bronze. I assume the requirement of 2 spins, but no more than 3 was based on the Bronze WBP at the time, which required a min of 2 spins but had no max.

This year, there were no changes made to the Pre-Bronze WBP but there were changes made to the other levels. What some comp committees (like Peach's) have done is create their own requirements for Pre-Bronze at their event, based on what they think the WBP should be, not what the WBP actually are.

Raye
09-03-2006, 11:53 PM

Rob

The only reason I didn't make it this year was because my niece got married yesterday. It was an awesome wedding, and I'll be back to Peach next year!!!!

rlichtefeld
09-04-2006, 02:27 AM
But the rule changes, specifically the LOC-imposed restrictions on Pre-Bronze, also were a turnoff for me. No longer an issue for me, obviously, but I'm sure there were at least several Pre-Bronze skaters that decided not to re-choreograph their programs (that had already been choreographed with USFSA rules in mind) to accommodate just one comp's rules (is this why Beth scratched?).
Thanks everyone for their input.

The Pre-Bronze limits was not one I had on my list. But, as a LOC, we couldn't figure out how to have limits on Bronze FS, that were more restrictive than Pre-Bronze. I'm not on the Adult Committee, and didn't see the GC recommendations until everyone else did.

Beth G. scratched because she was bitten on her toe by a spider, she thinks, and had a hard time even putting on her skates. She did do the Bronze Team event on Sunday afternoon.

Please everyone keep the comments coming. As was said by by someone else, we are one of the oldest all-adults (this was out 10th year) and until last year, the largest all-adult after AN. Oh, and btw, we do have the best competitors party!

Here's our numbers for the past few years:
Year Skaters Clubs
2006 56 23
2005 96 33
2004 106 35
2003 131 47
2002 121 42
2001 106 41
2000 97 42
1999 73 35
1998 82 42
Source: http://www.gafsc.org/peachclassic/

One thing that struck me by looking at those numbers is: We peaked a year after the US Adult MIF rules were instituted and have been falling off ever since. Coincidence? I know lots of skaters (like me) who did all they could to pass their FS tests just before the deadline, so that they would be grandfathered. Before that rules change, people were moving up the levels at a pretty brisk pace. Now that has pretty much slowed down, and could be killing of the number of competitive skaters. But, that may be a whole different discussion.

Times change, and we need to see if we can adapt, or see if it is things outside of our control.

Rob

Stormy
09-04-2006, 07:33 AM
Frumpy, I didn't know you were on Skatingforums. It was great to meet you and congrats on your win!! I'm your Silver I competitor. Great skate!! :bow:

I was thinking myself that the reason the Peach turnout was low was the number of adult competitions that have sprung up in the past few years. I know Halloween usually has a good turnout, as does New Years. People may only want to spend money going an event closer to their home? I've always loved Peach and will likely continue to do it. Rob and Ginger, another GREAT job!!!

It was so great to see old friends and meet new ones. Thanks Loops and Beccapoo for my nip and beanie baby!!!! And I second that "Bats in the Belfry" rock!! :!:

Hannahclear
09-04-2006, 09:01 AM
I do prefer standard adult friendly comps because they don't subdivide by age. You get bigger groups that way. But I'm sure there is a diversity of opinion on that option.

Frumpy
09-04-2006, 09:10 AM
Congratulations frumpy on your gold medal! :)

Thank you! :D

pennybeagle
09-04-2006, 09:12 AM
Thanks everyone for their input.

The Pre-Bronze limits was not one I had on my list. But, as a LOC, we couldn't figure out how to have limits on Bronze FS, that were more restrictive than Pre-Bronze. I'm not on the Adult Committee, and didn't see the GC recommendations until everyone else did.

Beth G. scratched because she was bitten on her toe by a spider, she thinks, and had a hard time even putting on her skates. She did do the Bronze Team event on Sunday afternoon.

Please everyone keep the comments coming. As was said by by someone else, we are one of the oldest all-adults (this was out 10th year) and until last year, the largest all-adult after AN. Oh, and btw, we do have the best competitors party!

Here's our numbers for the past few years:
Year Skaters Clubs
2006 56 23
2005 96 33
2004 106 35
2003 131 47
2002 121 42
2001 106 41
2000 97 42
1999 73 35
1998 82 42
Source: http://www.gafsc.org/peachclassic/

One thing that struck me by looking at those numbers is: We peaked a year after the US Adult MIF rules were instituted and have been falling off ever since. Coincidence? I know lots of skaters (like me) who did all they could to pass their FS tests just before the deadline, so that they would be grandfathered. Before that rules change, people were moving up the levels at a pretty brisk pace. Now that has pretty much slowed down, and could be killing of the number of competitive skaters. But, that may be a whole different discussion.

Times change, and we need to see if we can adapt, or see if it is things outside of our control.

Rob

Wow, that's a drop in numbers! I, for one, competed last year but couldn't make it this year because I started a new job between then and now and this time of year has been very very crazy.

Also, it's been getting more expensive to skate, period. I know that the rising cost of ice at rinks due to energy bills has forced some clubs in my area to cut ice time, or hike up the prices per hour considerably. The public session rates for the summer nearly doubled from last year at the rink where I skate, and summer freestyle rates have gone up, too. It was difficult for me to even get a few hours of skating in per week over the summer, and it looks like fall is going to be only marginally better. To me, decreased training time + increased training costs + increased travel costs = fewer competitions.

Still, it's really interesting to see the attendance rates... I wonder how closely they correlate to other local competitions as well as AN. It seems, though, that Peach had about 100 competitors (or more) since 2000... I wonder if this was a fluke year. I hope that it is not a trend.

That said, I am really hoping to make it out to Atlanta next year. It is such a great competition.

Frumpy
09-04-2006, 09:24 AM
Frumpy, I didn't know you were on Skatingforums. It was great to meet you and congrats on your win!! I'm your Silver I competitor. Great skate!! :bow:

I'm around here and there....I have to be careful about how much I visit during the work day...;)

I thought you did really well, also! I watched the tape after the awards, and I was surprised by the result, honestly.

It was great meeting you, too! :D

Rob, I was debating whether to enter into Peach this year soley because of cost, and I used up a lot of vacation time and $$$$ in Dallas. (It was my first Nationals.) So, that's my two cents on the attendance.

And it was good meeting you, Loops! Thank you SO much for the "treat", Becca!

nerd_on_ice
09-04-2006, 11:01 AM
*waves to NoVa, LoopLoop, and Rob*

It was worth the drive to meet you all and see some awesome adult skating!
:bow: :bow: :bow:

Terri C
09-04-2006, 11:15 AM

The reason why Pre Bronze WBP requirements were not changed is because Pre Bronze is not a event at AN.
Rob, please give get well wishes to Beth, even though she was able to get out and do a event, even if it wasn't the freeskate.

mskater
09-04-2006, 01:02 PM
It was somewhat disappointing to see the numbers down at Peach. Luckily someone showed up with a cowbell in the audience and then it started to feel like the good'ole days:] Next year I'm bringing my own bell just for good measure!

Thanks Becca for the Nips, I'm having to fight to keep my roommate from consuming them:] Thanks Loops for my Beanie, the Kangaroo is the cutest ever - makes me sad though b/c it reminds me of the Crocidile Hunter:( I'll send you my resume for sure!

It's always great to spend time with people who share a passion for skating - hopefully everyone in 'our' community will keep making an effort to at least get to one Adult event a year other than AN's:]

So now it's on to Boston! Think we can find a Bugaboo nearby Stormy?

rlichtefeld
09-04-2006, 01:46 PM
It was somewhat disappointing to see the numbers down at Peach. Luckily someone showed up with a cowbell in the audience and then it started to feel like the good'ole days:] Next year I'm bringing my own bell just for good measure!

That was me and my cowbell. Unfortunately, I didn't get to watch that much this year, so didn't get to cheer as much. But, I am hoarse. We had some interesting crises happening behind the scenes that I had to take care of.

Also, the little kids raided my stash of throwable items on Friday, and I didn't have any time to go out and replace them. So, I only go to throw a few things. Next year, I'm locking them in the car!

Rob

mskater
09-04-2006, 03:17 PM
That was me and my cowbell. Unfortunately, I didn't get to watch that much this year, so didn't get to cheer as much. But, I am hoarse. We had some interesting crises happening behind the scenes that I had to take care of.

Rob

Ah, you're the best Rob! Seriously, that got me going right before my event as I was having a case of the "I could just scratch and go back to the hotel right now" jitters:]

skatingatty
09-04-2006, 08:28 PM
So, mskater, how did you skate? :) Do you want my Hillsborough FS pass? Now that I no longer work in Durham, I don't go there. Hope everyone had a fun and safe Labor Day!

NoVa Sk8r
09-04-2006, 09:32 PM
I posted a few pics:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/stephentrzaska/album?.dir=/4212re2&.src=ph&.tok=ph0d4cFBGPQLFDWM.

I didn't take that many, but I know that others did. I will try to post theirs if/when they send them to me.

rlichtefeld
09-05-2006, 05:16 AM
I posted a few pics:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/stephentrzaska/album?.dir=/4212re2&.src=ph&.tok=ph0d4cFBGPQLFDWM.

I didn't take that many, but I know that others did. I will try to post theirs if/when they send them to me.

I've already put a link to them at:
http://www.gafsc.org/peachclassic

If anyone else has uploaded photos, please let me know and I'll put a link up to yours also.

Rob

flo
09-05-2006, 09:30 AM
I went to Peach in the early years - we had about 6 pairs between masters and adults and lots of fun!!!
I haven't been going because in general I've cut back on competitions. We use to do the Chespeake open, then Peach, Wyandotte, Wilmington, and AN. Add in the numerous shows, and it was a great deal of time and effort.
Chesapeake and Wilmington are local, but I don't do them anymore because I've consistiently won the events I've entered (Silver FS, Interp, Pairs) and have always felt that in that position, move up or try something different. I've never been really interested in Gold fs, so I go to different events.

As far as Peach and Wyandotte, It's mainly because of travel, as the New Year's Open and Halloween Classic are close in proximity, and I've done them the last few years. This year, as I spent lots of time in Atlanta and really liked the people I met, I actually was thinking of going to Peach, but ended up going to Fla. and helping my parents in their new house.

I've also not even started on my new program!

skatingatty
09-05-2006, 09:45 AM
Great pictures, Nova! Stormy, your dress looks very similar to the dress that I wore to adult natls. Is it GK Elite? That would have been funny if I had competed against you with almost the same dress on. It's a beautiful dress!

Mrs Redboots
09-05-2006, 01:33 PM
I posted a few pics:

I didn't take that many, but I know that others did. I will try to post theirs if/when they send them to me.Super pictures - thanks for posting them.

Stormy
09-05-2006, 07:53 PM
Skatingatty, yes, it's a GK Elite. I bought it right before Nats. It probably is the same dress. It's definitely a great dress! Someone at Peach had the same one on too!

Ice T
09-06-2006, 09:00 PM
I just have to jump in and say "hi" to everyone and thank you all for the fun I had at Peach this year! It felt so great to skate so well this year, even if the results didn't go my way. Having a cheering squad in the stands really gave me a big boost and I am so grateful. I enjoyed the competition and meeting new friends! I hope to catch up with you all again soon!

Bats in the Belfry rule!!! :D

sexyskates
09-06-2006, 09:36 PM
Go Bats!
What a fun competition! I missed everyone over the summer, so this was a great event to get back together with the adult competitive skating community. I met some great new people too, like fellow bat, IceT. Her most excellent layback helped us win the gold!

Beccapoo2003
09-07-2006, 08:30 AM
Although Peach was smaller this year, it seems to have a certain "specialness" to it. Everyone was so positive and enthusiastic and supportive. :P :P I didn't skate in freestyle because of personal reasons, but it was a treat to sit in the stands and watch everyone on Saturday. Too bad Rob didn't skate. I guess it'll be double the underwear for next year....:halo: Rob, thanks so much for all your hard work!!

Is it just me, or does it seem there a lot of injuries and personal stuff going on this year? :?? The party was great, as always! Peach is my favorite competition.
Adult Skaters rock!!!
Becca

coskater64
09-07-2006, 11:49 AM
I am soooo sad I couldn't skate this event.:cry: It looks like it was as much fun as ever, well...I'll do it next year. Doctor says I can skate on Sept 18th and I'm going to BAID in Oct and HC in Nov. Fun! I miss yall'!

machikoyamada
09-07-2006, 01:25 PM

Rob

One possible reason for low attendance is that when you first arrive at the competition, you feel like there are daggers coming at you from all sides. The welcoming committee certainly isn't very welcoming, and when it's your turn to skate you feel like people are happy if you fall down on the ice... I, myself, have found this to be true and so have a couple of my fellow competitors...

I have found that if you are not apart of a certain group, then you are really OUT. This might be the same clique that had a problem with Chris Williams dancing during the after party at nationals in Dallas, and it may not be... all I can say it all makes me SICK to my stomach. I have never in my life experienced anything like that and I wouldn't want to experience it again.

On top of that, you are then left out of the official video tape as if you didn't exist at all - after paying all that money for the tape.. :x

NoVa Sk8r
09-07-2006, 02:57 PM
One possible reason for low attendance is that when you first arrive at the competition, you feel like there are daggers coming at you from all sides. The welcoming committee certainly isn't very welcoming, and when it's your turn to skate you feel like people are happy if you fall down on the ice... I, myself, have found this to be true and so have a couple of my fellow competitors...

I have found that if you are not apart of a certain group, then you are really OUT. This might be the same clique that had a problem with Chris Williams dancing during the after party at nationals in Dallas, and it may not be... all I can say it all makes me SICK to my stomach. I have never in my life experienced anything like that and I wouldn't want to experience it again.

On top of that, you are then left out of the official video tape as if you didn't exist at all - after paying all that money for the tape.. :xInteresting take and sorry that you feel so hurt and disenfranchised ... but ... you sound eerily similar to another poster here--kundu chaiku. Hmmm (What's with all the nom de guerre's? Is 'bittersk8r' taken as a screen name?)....

dcden
09-07-2006, 03:01 PM
Hey Rob,

Glad to hear Peach Classic is alive and well. I have only attended once in 2001. For me, it is just a matter of trying to sample a little bit of everything on the adult skating platter. For example, since 2001 I've entered adult events in York PA, Ashton PA (Halloween Classic), Los Angeles CA, as well as going to various Adult Sectionals or Nationals competitions. The only non-sectional or national comp that I do regularly is the New Year invitational because it's here in the Washington DC area.

Dennis

dcden
09-07-2006, 03:09 PM
On top of that, you are then left out of the official video tape as if you didn't exist at all - after paying all that money for the tape.. :x

Personally, I wouldn't equate not being on the official tape as if I "didn't exist at all". If that were the case, a lot of us wouldn't exist at all! I would say more AN competitors wind up NOT being on the tape than those who do.

As for me, I was only in one AN official tape that I know of, a brief clip of me on the podium in 2000. The last few I've seen were a bit disappointing, but you have to take it with a grain of salt. With several hundred competitors each year, it's impossible for them to feature everyone there. The good thing is that they usually show the tape at the closing party so that you can decide after viewing the tape whether you wish to purchase it.

I'm assuming above that you were referring to the official video tape at AN. I don't know that Peach puts out an official videotape, but as I said above, I haven't been there in a number of years.

jazzpants
09-07-2006, 03:22 PM
Maybe it's b/c machikoyamada was at the wrong competition! The competition for Psycho Skater Trolls is at the next building!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Go back to Japan... Mao Asada (http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/25122005/5/photo/japanese-teen-sensation-mao-asada-15-smiles-coach-machiko-yamada.html) is waiting for 'ya!!! :P :twisted:

dcden
09-07-2006, 03:32 PM
Now, now, jazzy!

But I see jazzy's point. Machiko, it's hard for us to help you if we don't have some specifics about these grievances you're airing. For example, do you know the names of the people on the welcoming committee who were being less than welcoming? Or how people expressed to you that they wished for you to fall on the ice? Did certain people make specific remarks to you?

Perhaps it would be helpful for you, and the fellow competitors of yours whom you refer to, to address the Adult Skating Committee directly (i.e. not through a forums board). I think then you may see a better resolution than what can be offered here. Have you considered that option? I'm sure Tony Conte would be very receptive to what you have to say. Understand though that by addressing the Adult committee you would probably have to identify yourself by name and specify at which competitions you competed where you saw this behavior. But I'm sure that you have enough courage in your convictions that you can come forward.

coskater64
09-07-2006, 03:55 PM
It's always interesting when people join a forum just to complain, and totally hide their identity(taking the identity of Mao Asada's coach doesn't seem very nice). Machikoyamada just joined today and only made one totally negative post.

If you want to meet people it is beholden on you to make an effort, to expect everyone to come to you and love you instantly is expecting a bit much, if you find it truly upsetting maybe some introspection on what you can do to make yourself more approachable.

Peach Classic is one of the friendliest competitions there is, I always got nips and my very first year a stunning 36DDD bra, smidge large for me, all I did to get that was say, hello and smile. I have never been in any of the videos peach or AN's, big deal.

If you really do find this a problem then you should talk to the LOC of Peach, which would be Rob or Tony Conte as suggested, but criticism is usually best heard if it's constructive not destructive.

done.

skaternum
09-07-2006, 04:16 PM
One possible reason for low attendance is <snip>
Wow, you are one angry troll. Whether you have any legitimate complaint is hard to determine because of your trollish behavior (fake name, recent join date, rantings with no examples, dragging a different competition into this discussion). So with all due respect ... put up or shut up. Be specific. Name names (yours included). Tell us calmly what you're talking about.

FWIW, if you walked into Peach with that attitude, I'd run in the other direction. Maybe that's part of the problem.

jazzpants
09-07-2006, 04:29 PM
Now, now, jazzy!Sorry, dcden... but I'm NOT nice to TROLLS on this board!!! :twisted:

doubletoe
09-07-2006, 04:40 PM
Machikoyamada, I'm sorry you didn't feel welcomed warmly at this competition, but remember, most things you experience are not actually "done to" you on purpose by other people.
At my very first competition, I knew nobody knew me, so I went up and initiated conversations with the other competitors, usually complimenting them on their skating. At the end of the competition, I left with lots of friends! Did you go up to people who looked as uncomfortable as you were and try to make them more comfortable, since you understand what that feels like? I hope so. :)

rlichtefeld
09-07-2006, 06:53 PM

Ummm....

My email is rlichtefeld@yahoo.com
Please contact me about the Peach if you'd like. Or, you can PM me.

I've danced with Chris at the Peach party (a couple of years ago when he competed here), and just about everyone else every year, I don't know what the problem is. At this year's party, I think at one time everyone was on the dance floor. I wasn't at the AN party this year, because after flo and I skated, I had to fly back to see my wife off to India.

As far as I know there aren't any cliques at Peach. The stands are always full, and there are always goodies thrown on the ice.

The Registration desk this year was manned by a great lady, who is an adult skater, who is only off the ice right now because of her chemo. So, I don't think Amy would have hurt anyone's feelings.

Hopefully, you will contact me and let me know what happened. Because, at this point I'm a little confused.

Rob

LoopLoop
09-07-2006, 07:00 PM

I have found that if you are not apart of a certain group, then you are really OUT.
Wow, that's a very different experience than anything I've seen or experienced at Peach. My first time there was in 2004, and I was welcomed with open arms. In one event I skated very well, in the other not very well, and I probably had the same number of animals/nips/etc. on the ice for both programs. And I've NEVER seen anyone in the stands happy to see a skater fall.

Of course, people who stay to themselves and don't make an effort to reach out and meet others won't have as much support as those who try to be part of a group (and that group includes all friendly adult skaters who want to participate in it).

Terri C
09-07-2006, 07:21 PM

Well if that is how you really feel -then please stay home the rest of the season.
Every adult competition I've been to whether it's Peach (which was last year) Halloween Classic (two years ago), and almost every year , New Years Invitational, I've always enjoyed myself, never mind the fact that I'm the only competitive adult skater at my rink.

Beccapoo2003
09-07-2006, 08:34 PM
Amen, Skaternum. I can't believe anyone was treated that badly at Peach. Rob works very hard and cares about our experience with Peach. As for "not being part of a certain group", (if that's what one wants to call enjoying the competition), EVERYONE is welcome to join in and have fun!:D .....although they might be the recipient of an affectionate practical joke! He, he!
You were missed this year, Skaternum.Thanks so much, Rob for a great weekend!
Adult Skaters rock!
Becca

Isk8NYC
09-08-2006, 07:46 AM
I have issued a temporary ban on machikoyamada's member name until 9/15/2006, just to give them time to learn more about appropriate posts for this Board. If, after that time, they continue to post in a mean-spirited behavior, they will be permanently banned. The IP address has been logged, something that users sharing IP addresses should be aware of as well.

As a note, I received two "official" messages regarding the inappropriateness of this post. Judging by the followups, I assume many more members were offended by machikoyamada's missive. You can always report posts officially to moderators by clicking on the "Report Bad Post" triangle http://www.skatingforums.com/images/buttons/report.gif in the upper right-hand corner. If you believe someone's a troll, it's best not to "feed" him/her by responding to the messages. That's what they want, after all.

That's all folks! Go back to your knitting ... (Sorry, Harry Potter reference.) ;)

Frumpy
09-08-2006, 12:17 PM
This year was my second year at Peach, and I felt VERY welcome both this year and last year.

I knew only two skaters at Peach when I skated my freeskate this year, and I had people cheering for me that didn't even know me! On top of it, I got a little treat thrown to me after I skated, and Becca didn't even know me! And I met a handful of people on top of it! Last year, I only knew some of the Florida skaters, and I got several toys thrown to me by people NOT from Florida.

My point is...as another skater who is/was new to Peach Classic, I felt VERY welcome and had plenty of support! (Rob & Co. does an AMAZING job running the show.)

As far as the video goes...I have worked for the videographer in the past. I did some of the footage from the Competitors Party last year. It is not the intention of the videographer to "exclude" anyone. There is only a certian amount of footage that is worth putting on the tape (thanks in part to my wiggly hands...sorry!), and the gentleman that puts the montage together at the end limits the montage to one song. He already spends HOURS putting that footage together. :bow: Most video companies don't put ANYTHING together! So, what are you complaining about! :giveup:

Frumpy
09-08-2006, 12:26 PM
when it's your turn to skate you feel like people are happy if you fall down on the ice...

I don't know of too many people that HOPE that another adult skater will fall! We ALL work to hard and pay too much of our own hard-earned cash to wish that. On top of that, I really LIKE to watch skating! Personally, I enjoy seeing really good programs!